Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Without Question, the #1 Problem in Excel is deleting unused rows at the bottom

Just allow us to bring up a window and select the row number to start deleting all the way to the bottom. When you copy to columns, 1.04 million rows get created. And it literally takes HOURS at the fastest scrolling (25% view) to get rid of these. Look in the searches lots and lots of people complain about this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Copy/Cut equation images to handwriting box equation editor

It would be perfect if you included a copy / paste icon from memory inside the equation handwriting box.
    Or a simple 'image capture' button from other documents / images into this box for Excel to interpret and translate into an alphanumeric equation as it already does but only for handwriting with a mouse (difficult and time consuming) which is only useful for creating new user equations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Find invalid data

There is an option to Circle Invalid Data in Data Validation, but no easy way to find the invalid data if, say, you have thousands of data entries, possibly in multiple columns, but only a handful of invalid entries.

You can find all cells with data validation, but not just those cells with invalid data. (It can be done with VBA but it would be better if Excel had this functionality.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Delete key behavior differs from context menu delete option

I have some data I need to remove every other row from, so I am selecting the entire row and right-clicking to delete it. I can do this task an order of magnitude faster with a keyboard shortcut, which is unintuitively not the Delete key as the label suggests in the context menu (nor does it indicate there is any other keyboard shortcut), as the Delete key only deletes the contents of the row rather than the row itself.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. new feature

add a voice option In excel like if someone want to do sum he has to speak only sum a1 to a8 and result comes out. and all other function in excel if someone want to use by voice command excel must have to do it. excel is already advance now its times to excel must become extra advance excel by this feature.
    thanks team excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add append and prepend options to find the find and replace dialogue box.

Right now the only way of appending or prepending something to cell contents is to use a concat function which can be a hassle depending on the contents.

Alternatively adding full regex functionality to the search/find and replace function would be even better!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Always Expand the Outline group (Data tab) to full size and Always Collapse the Get and Data Types groups on the ribbon

Always Expand the Outline group (Data tab) to full size and Always Collapse the Get and Data Types groups on the ribbon. I've moved these last two useless groups to the end of the ribbon and would turn them off if I could. I constantly need to use the Outline group and when it is constantly collapsed, I'd rather be using the more expedient Excel 2004 menus.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Always Expand the Outline group (Data tab) to full size and Always Collapse the Get and Data Types groups on the ribbon

Always Expand the Outline group (Data tab) to full size and Always Collapse the Get and Data Types groups on the ribbon. I've moved these last two useless groups to the end of the ribbon and would turn them off if I could. I constantly need to use the Outline group and when it is constantly collapsed, I'd rather be using the more expedient Excel 2004 menus.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to auto spell check in excel or ability to use F7 when sheets are protected

Simply be able to have an automatic spell check or be able to use F7 to spell check in cells that are not locked/protected

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "Ctrl+A" shortcut in the excel formula bar

Hi there!
    It would be a great help for my work if "Ctrl+A" shortcut was working in the excel formula bar.
    Thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. there should be an option to PERMANENTLY TURN OFF AUTOSAVE. BAD for my busn and many others. s/b optional.

AUTOSAVE
    there should be an option to PERMANENTLY TURN OFF AUTOSAVE. BAD for my busn and many others. s/b optional.
    appreciate MS coming up with new ideas and safeties, but SOME of us, ME INCLUDED, wanna make our OWN decisions of what changes to a file we wanna save, and what we don't. MS is changing my file auto, and a huge pain for me. many times i don't have time to fix at the moment, and I'M STUCK with changes i don't want.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Paste Special External Values

Allow to paste all formulas linked to external workbooks as values. But not affect the local formulas. Essentially to archive and not worry about external linked data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Preview For Find and Replace Action

When editing with the Find and Replace, show a list of all cell contents (in the find window) that will change, along with the portion of the cell that is modified. The modified portion should be highlighted in yellow to indicate that it will change. The Preview can be shown as the user enters the replace text.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. use arrow keys when editing text in dialog boxes

When editing dialog boxes such as the Data Validation box, using an arrow key doesn't move you within the text but instead puts a cell reference into a formula. Please make it work like Excel functions which only put the cell in if you are entering the formula for the first time, but otherwise use the arrow keys to move around. Or better still make this toggleable by pressing F2.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Highlight the left row numbers \ top column letters when dragging a populated cell using the "plus" function

If you just click an empty cell and drag it down it highlights the row numbers to the left so you can see what rows you are highlighting.

This does not happen when you select a cell and use the little black "plus" to drag a cell that is populated.

This would really help when you are dragging down / over a large amount of cells so you know where to stop as intended.

Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add Selected Cells To Name Manager Filter

When opening the name manager, add a Filter option to show "Selected Cells". This filter would then show only the names associated with any selected cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. A PERSONAL COPY AND PASTE BOX

A PERSONAL COPY AND PASTE BOX WHERE YOU COULD CUSTOMIZE WORDS OR CODES YOU USE ON A DAILY BASIS
    IAM IN THE MEDICAL FIELD IT WOULD BE SUCH A TIME SAVER
    THE CUSTOMIZE SOME OF MY DAILY USE CODES AND DIAGNOSIS AND BE ABLE TO JUST COPY AND PASTE FROM A
    CUSTOMIZED BOX.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enable Named Range Re-Naming In Named Range Dropdown

When I mistakenly enter a new range name in the Range Name drop down, I cannot edit this range name until going into the Name Manager. Provide ability to overwrite the existing range name, in the same maner as when entering a new range name.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Insert copied non-adjacent cells

When selecting adjacent cells for copying, you can select "insert copied cells" at the pasting destination so that the cells below the destination are moved down and not pasted over, I want to be able to do this when selecting NON-adjacent cells and copying to a single column, I noticed when pasting to the destination with NON-adjacent cells the option to "insert copied cells" does not appear, this leaves me no other option than to count out how many new rows I need each time, manually insert them into the column, and then copy & paste, this is extremely frustrating…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base