Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Need a paste option that pastes the name of the cell, if there is one.

Need a advanced paste option that will paste the name of the cell, if one has been defined.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Reinstate Drag/Autofill menu

Reinstate Drag/Autofill menu

This is the menu that pops up after you drag to autofill and allows you to pick "Copy Cells; Fill Series; Fill Formatting Only; etc."

See Microsoft documentation on how one *would* use it, if it still existed: https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2014/05/30/howto-use-autofill-excel/

This menu has been replaced with a generic formatting menu that is completely redundant with the main ribbon.

The autofill menu is a core part of my workflows, as I am frequently drag-filling multiple times and frequently switching between modes.

Picture shows what replaced the autofill menu, which you can find in the linked document above.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Set default to Copy - paste visible only, opt into paste hidden

Set default to Copy - paste visible only, opt into paste hidden
    The Default setting should be able to be set for visible only with paste special being for hidden.

Really annoying when working with filtered lists and pasting on everything hidden and not knowing / forgetting.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Editing a Calender with 4 months on it

There's an awesome Calendar Template in Excel called "summer activities calendar 2019". I would like to edit and use it all year round to save on paper and ink but it does not seem to be editable. It would be great if there were several calendar templates with 4 months on one page that can be used for any month or year. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Eliminate Formula Paste / Entry Calculation Delays

In my sheet with over 52000 cells containing simplistic formulas, I have noticed that copying and pasting just a few cells will exhibit an inordinate amount of delay (5 to 8 seconds) before the results are displayed. Interestingly, I can interrupt and shorten this delay by hitting the Enter key a second time (the first time I hit the enter key was to complete the paste).

So, in short, whatever happens when I strike the Enter Key twice after a paste should really happen after I strike the Enter Key one time. This will effectively eliminate the delay (and the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Time Machine

I just need to recover my overwritten saved file of ms-excel to a few hours before ( like time machine) but i did not find solution with the company and its developers. very disheartened! (please review my chat session no. 1468742155)
    And I suggest the same to the company and its developers to provide the solid best solution for the issue. Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Text Filter To Name Manager

In the Name Manager Dialog Box, enable the ability for user to enter text to filter on. Then show only the lines that contain the text entered by the user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. delete row / column

Presently, delete row command simply deletes it. It does not check if that row is totally blank or contains one or more non-empty cells. We should get a warning if a row contains one or more non-empty cells and we give a delete row command. With this feature available, we will save us from accidentally deleting a row, which may contain important data.

Above applies to columns as well.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. AutoCorrect function for Excel on OneDrive

The AutoCorrect function only works on page one and two of the spreadsheet on OneDrive. It would be great to have the option to turn this on and off for all pages of the spreadsheet by going through to File > Options.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. When cutting/pasting a selection, the cursor should default to the top-left cell in the selection after paste

When cutting/pasting a selection, the cursor should default to the top-left cell in the selection after paste on the source

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Select range via mouse click + scroll wheel

Like Word and OneNote and web browsers, I should be able to click and hold the left mouse button, then scroll the mouse wheel to scroll the view and extend the selection. Currently while holding down the left mouse button, the scroll wheel does nothing, so to perform a large range selection I have to slowly and awkwardly drag the mouse near the bottom edge of the window.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. find and replace, invert and clear buttons

on the Excel Find and Replace dialogue:
    add a button to the left of the Options button to invert/reverse/swap the values in the Find and Replace fields, and another to clear both the Find and Replace values and plant the cursor in the Find field.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. checkout broken

With any Sharepoint file where version control is activated, you would normally get a prompt asking you to checkout the file before you modify it.
    Now, I got this Sharepoint Libary that I synch locally using the latest OneDrive (thank god, it now lets you decide which files you want to keep locally!).
    But here's the thing: I no longer get the checkout prompt in Excel, and the worse part is that I can't edit the file because Excel has openned it in read-only.
    Even though I checkout the file manually on Sharepoint, it still opens the file in read-only…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow multiple hyperlinks within a cell

When adding a hyperlink in Excel, it currently applies to the whole cell. However, it would be great if Excel would allow having multiple hyperlinks within a single text cell.

For instance, if I have a cell with a text showing "This item can be found HERE and THERE", it would be great that I can add a hyperlink only to the word "HERE" and a different one to the word "THERE".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Display Font Formats in Formula Bar

Enable ability to display font changes when viewing formula (or text) in the formula bar.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Restore keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Sh+0 functionality to unhide column

Up to Excel 2003, the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Sh+0 would unhide a column or columns. Since the shortcut isn't being used for anything else, please restore the functionality

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. allow people to globally remove features

Excel 2019 has added a few features that are hindering accountants and others from being able to be productive. Trying to "disable" those functions do not work. I created a new column, adjacent to a Contract Number Column. In the new column, I needed to take either the last 5 digits or the last 6 digits on the Contract Number in the new column. When I put in the formula in the first cell, ALL the cells in that column became populated with the formula. When I tried to change the formula in a cell below (since I needed the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Paste Special - number format only.

Paste Special - number format only

The only past special options on number format are associated with either a formula or value. Oftern I need to standard formats across a number of cells and this functionality would allow this without using Paste formats which pastes all cells format styles - font, border, colour fill, etc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Unhide mulitpile or all hidden sheets

Being able to unhide all or multiple sheets at once, rather than single sheet.
    When the selection of hidden sheets appear have the ability to pick different sheets by using Ctrl and mouse
    Maybe also have an unhide all option

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add functionality for ctrl+shift+v paste without formatting

Other programs allow paste without formatting using ctrl+shift+v. Though this can be done through the right click menu it would be great to see this function built in.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base