Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. validation *must* be case sensitive

Need users to choose either "M" or "V" in a cell. No other option is allowed. The target application does not accept "v" or "m". However, Excel yields TRUE on "M"="m" instead of FALSE. How can I enforce case sensitive comparison?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When I create content, copy the content to clipboard, then undo my content, open a new excel file or new tab and paste my content, please ke

When I create content, copy the content to clipboard, then undo my content, open a new excel file or new tab and paste my content, please keep my content in the clipboard so I can paste it to the new location! During the creative process, I sometimes like to snapshot the version I got to and revert to the previous, but not loose the extra work between, and repurpose for another tab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Enlarge the font in the Find and Replace window for those that have a hard time seeing

Enlarge the font in the Find and Replace window for those that have a hard time seeing. Similar to have you can enlarge the worksheet, it would be nice to be able to enlarge the Find What box in Find and Replace.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Bring Back Track Changes

When sharing documents, which is supposedly the beauty of 365, it almost seems ridiculous to remove the feature that makes everyone feel the safest and most collaborative.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. "BACKGROUND FORMATTING" ALIKE MICROSOFT WORD

THE BACKGROUND CAN BE CHANGED BUT NO MODIFICATION OFR TRANSPARENCY IS NOT AVAILABLE, PLEASE ADD THE FEATURE TO MAKE THE EXCEL LOOK COOLER.

IF WE CAN ATTACH VIDEO FILES OR GIF's OR IMAGES TO ANY BOX IN A EXCEL WOULD BE VERY ATTRACTIVE TO PRESENT IN MEETINGS AND ALSO IN COLLEGE PRESENTATION.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. All lists must have a search box. Even the context menu. The search box must be a part of the list object itself.

All lists must have a search box. Even the context menu. The search box must be a part of the list object itself.
    This is not limited by Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. To be able to change the strikethrough font colour (like you can with the underlining option) and have a different font colour for the text

Could you please put in the option to change the colour of the strikethrough font to a different colour from the text, like you can with the underlining feature. For example:- black font with a red strikethrough.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Vim keybindings

Can you incorporate vim keybindings for excel, it would be magnificent?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Maintain the position of the search/"Find and Replace" dialog box (and others), except as necessary to expose the found object’s cell

The search/"Find and Replace" dialog box currently moves to a new position each time it is opened. It appears to be moving slightly down and to the right, such as a cascaded window. This causes the user to have to look to a new location each time Find or Replace is used. The most awkward, time consuming, and frustrating problem with this movement is: when the dialog box reaches the bottom of the screen, it stays there; and in that position the results table of Find All is hidden. In order to see these results, the user must drag the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allows users of a locked spreadsheet to use spellcheck without macros.

Currently you cannot use spellcheck in excel for locked spreadsheets without macros. Our organization does not want to enable macros for all computers. It would be nice when locking the spreadsheet to have the ability to click off spellcheck as an option (like you would for select locked cells, format cells, insert rows, etc). It should be included under the options for 'Allow all users of this worksheet to:'.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. HEY ********- I DO NOT WANT TO BE ASKED IF I WANT TO POST A COMMENT EVERY TIME I NEED TO ADD A COMMENT TO AN EXCEL CELL

HEY ********- I DO NOT WANT TO BE ASKED IF I WANT TO POST A COMMENT EVERY TIME I NEED TO ADD A COMMENT TO AN EXCEL CELL

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow quick access to user-defined symbol subsets

In the "Symbols" selection window, we have "Recently used symbols" which is nice for locating a previously used symbol but it does not scale for large collections, on the contrary, the fact that it reorders the symbols such that the last selected symbol is placed at the beginning of the list makes it difficult to locate a specific symbol by recalling it's static position. The suggestion asks for the ability to create user-defined subsets of Unicode characters per font that can be shown quickly by clicking on a "quick access toolbar" item or custom ribbon button

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Note "Right Click Menu" option

you changed the Comment option to Note, but if you use the "Right Click Menu" option and have multiple cells selected to delete the Note it is still listed as a comment

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. In excel cell content or cell comment should have a Reminder option

My idea is that, if we can keep an option in excel for a cell content or cell comment reminder which should be like an outlook where we can keep a reminder for any specific email.

Why this is need is - when we want to change a particular cell content at later point of time (like a day after or week after) and normally people forgot about the change needs to make.
    So if we can implement cell reminder option via comment box or any other way then it shows a pop up in excel when we opens which…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix bug for formula entry

When I type in "=" followed by clicking on a cell, say, "A1" the "A1" is selected by the cursor and so when I type "+" the "A1" gets overwritten. This is an issue with Excel on my Mac 16.22 (190211). It does not happen on excel online.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Option to make line break (alt+enter) the default behavior of Enter key

As part of my work, I spend a ton of time writing text inside of Excel spreadsheet cells. What I'm writing needs to be neatly formatted and easily legible, so my cells contain many line breaks.

I find it endlessly frustrating that a line break requires Alt+Enter instead of simply Enter. I virtually never require the Enter key's default behavior of moving the selected cell. I end up hitting Enter out of habit, switch cells, and lose where I was with my typing.

I would greatly appreciate an option to switch the behavior of the Enter key to always create…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Still have to hit escape to deselect the copied cell. FUCK_you. FIX it.

Still have to hit escape to deselect the copied cell. FUCK_you. FIX it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Cursor movement direction

Under Advanced Options it is possible to select the direction of movement immediately after data entry. Please add a FIFTH option. Namely, to stay on the data entry cell. This change will help users who my key data into a particular cell repeatedly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. About the sheets

When i work with many sheets, it is not pretty to see many sheets on the bottom. I suggest, you can make a new tab as "Sheets" on the ribbon. Inside this tab, we can see the list of sheets, add a sheet, delete a sheet and all other functions belonging to sheet control.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base