Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please make ";" an optional command in the Quick Access Toolbar

In some countries Excel uses ";" instead of "," in formula arguments. A lot of people like to use their mouse creating formulas. This is easy to implement og will make workflow a lot easier for a number of people outside of US.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Lock certain columns

There should be a way to lock certain columns, similarly to clicking the "Don't move or size with cells" option for shape formatting, so that if I want to add a row to, say, columns A:G but not H:K, I can do that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Lock certain columns

There should be a way to lock certain columns, similarly to clicking the "Don't move or size with cells" option for shape formatting, so that if I want to add a row to, say, columns A:G but not H:K, I can do that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Calendar, calendar, calendar!

For over twenty years, the calendar is not available for Excel (interact with sheet)! And you kill ActiveX calendar too. I'm looking for good words...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Save/close EXCEL workbooks.

Given several excel WB and made some changes in personal.xlsb. If I want to exit EXCEL, the options should be:
    1. If I click “X” on the toolbar in displayed WB, then options are:
    a) Save/close opened WB
    b) If there more opened WB’s then there is one more option “Save/Close all opened WB”

c) After saving all opened WB’S automatically comes up option save/close “PERSONAL”.

2. On the taskbar If I click EXCEL’S icon right, and several WB’s are opened then there is option
    “Close All Windows” which one doesn’t function properly. Please make this command to do literally…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Excel Sort Picking a choise Sort warning asks if you want to add adjecent areas with a default already set. Remove the default setting.

Excel Sort/ Picking a choise (smalest to largest) than Sort warning asks if you want to add adjecent areas with a defalt setting already set. Remove that default setting. Let us make that choise that will be remembered in Excel until we change it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Edit Comments by different user.

If another user edits a comment their stamp and time stamp should replace the original one

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ctrl + Backspace in the find and replace box should delete the previous word

When searching for multiple terms, you want to quickly search for new words. Currently ctrl + backspace is not supported.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Need a paste option that pastes the name of the cell, if there is one.

Need a advanced paste option that will paste the name of the cell, if one has been defined.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Reinstate Drag/Autofill menu

Reinstate Drag/Autofill menu

This is the menu that pops up after you drag to autofill and allows you to pick "Copy Cells; Fill Series; Fill Formatting Only; etc."

See Microsoft documentation on how one *would* use it, if it still existed: https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2014/05/30/howto-use-autofill-excel/

This menu has been replaced with a generic formatting menu that is completely redundant with the main ribbon.

The autofill menu is a core part of my workflows, as I am frequently drag-filling multiple times and frequently switching between modes.

Picture shows what replaced the autofill menu, which you can find in the linked document above.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Set default to Copy - paste visible only, opt into paste hidden

Set default to Copy - paste visible only, opt into paste hidden
    The Default setting should be able to be set for visible only with paste special being for hidden.

Really annoying when working with filtered lists and pasting on everything hidden and not knowing / forgetting.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Editing a Calender with 4 months on it

There's an awesome Calendar Template in Excel called "summer activities calendar 2019". I would like to edit and use it all year round to save on paper and ink but it does not seem to be editable. It would be great if there were several calendar templates with 4 months on one page that can be used for any month or year. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Eliminate Formula Paste / Entry Calculation Delays

In my sheet with over 52000 cells containing simplistic formulas, I have noticed that copying and pasting just a few cells will exhibit an inordinate amount of delay (5 to 8 seconds) before the results are displayed. Interestingly, I can interrupt and shorten this delay by hitting the Enter key a second time (the first time I hit the enter key was to complete the paste).

So, in short, whatever happens when I strike the Enter Key twice after a paste should really happen after I strike the Enter Key one time. This will effectively eliminate the delay (and the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow us to disable "double click to move"

Double-clicking to move to the beginning or end of the cells is useful for some, but for others it drags our productivity down. Please allow us to toggle the option to navigate using double-click so the users who are adversely affected by it can turn it off.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Time Machine

I just need to recover my overwritten saved file of ms-excel to a few hours before ( like time machine) but i did not find solution with the company and its developers. very disheartened! (please review my chat session no. 1468742155)
    And I suggest the same to the company and its developers to provide the solid best solution for the issue. Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add Text Filter To Name Manager

In the Name Manager Dialog Box, enable the ability for user to enter text to filter on. Then show only the lines that contain the text entered by the user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. delete row / column

Presently, delete row command simply deletes it. It does not check if that row is totally blank or contains one or more non-empty cells. We should get a warning if a row contains one or more non-empty cells and we give a delete row command. With this feature available, we will save us from accidentally deleting a row, which may contain important data.

Above applies to columns as well.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. AutoCorrect function for Excel on OneDrive

The AutoCorrect function only works on page one and two of the spreadsheet on OneDrive. It would be great to have the option to turn this on and off for all pages of the spreadsheet by going through to File > Options.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When cutting/pasting a selection, the cursor should default to the top-left cell in the selection after paste

When cutting/pasting a selection, the cursor should default to the top-left cell in the selection after paste on the source

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base