Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Preview For Find and Replace Action

When editing with the Find and Replace, show a list of all cell contents (in the find window) that will change, along with the portion of the cell that is modified. The modified portion should be highlighted in yellow to indicate that it will change. The Preview can be shown as the user enters the replace text.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. use arrow keys when editing text in dialog boxes

When editing dialog boxes such as the Data Validation box, using an arrow key doesn't move you within the text but instead puts a cell reference into a formula. Please make it work like Excel functions which only put the cell in if you are entering the formula for the first time, but otherwise use the arrow keys to move around. Or better still make this toggleable by pressing F2.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Highlight the left row numbers \ top column letters when dragging a populated cell using the "plus" function

If you just click an empty cell and drag it down it highlights the row numbers to the left so you can see what rows you are highlighting.

This does not happen when you select a cell and use the little black "plus" to drag a cell that is populated.

This would really help when you are dragging down / over a large amount of cells so you know where to stop as intended.

Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add Selected Cells To Name Manager Filter

When opening the name manager, add a Filter option to show "Selected Cells". This filter would then show only the names associated with any selected cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. A PERSONAL COPY AND PASTE BOX

A PERSONAL COPY AND PASTE BOX WHERE YOU COULD CUSTOMIZE WORDS OR CODES YOU USE ON A DAILY BASIS
    IAM IN THE MEDICAL FIELD IT WOULD BE SUCH A TIME SAVER
    THE CUSTOMIZE SOME OF MY DAILY USE CODES AND DIAGNOSIS AND BE ABLE TO JUST COPY AND PASTE FROM A
    CUSTOMIZED BOX.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enable Named Range Re-Naming In Named Range Dropdown

When I mistakenly enter a new range name in the Range Name drop down, I cannot edit this range name until going into the Name Manager. Provide ability to overwrite the existing range name, in the same maner as when entering a new range name.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Insert copied non-adjacent cells

When selecting adjacent cells for copying, you can select "insert copied cells" at the pasting destination so that the cells below the destination are moved down and not pasted over, I want to be able to do this when selecting NON-adjacent cells and copying to a single column, I noticed when pasting to the destination with NON-adjacent cells the option to "insert copied cells" does not appear, this leaves me no other option than to count out how many new rows I need each time, manually insert them into the column, and then copy & paste, this is extremely frustrating…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I want to insert many rows

I wish that there's an field to input how many rows or columns I want to insert right in Insert popover. I tired of inputting one by one row =))) Thank you!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. When copying and pasting a region, the "keep column widths" option does not paste the data if rows are filtered out.

When copying and pasting a region, the "keep column widths" option does not paste the data if rows are filtered out. To recreate this, add data to a region and adjust the column widths. Copy/paste this region "as is" elsewhere and keep column widths. Everything works. Apply a filter. Select any block of data that does not include a hidden row. Copy/paste this region elsewhere and keep column widths. Everything works. Select any block of data that does include a hidden row. Copy/paste this region elsewhere and keep column widths. The column widths are applied, but the data is not.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. biçimlendirme

grup sıralaması yaparken 3101,01 ile 3101,1 hücre içerisinde 3101,1 olarak gözükmekte. bu soruna çözüm bulabilir misiniz?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Autofill + fill colour

When excel suggests an autofill, it could also apply fill colour from previous cells. For example i constantly write in cell "Good client" and us fill colour option for green color. Next time i start to write, excel already suggests "Good client", but it also could offer "Good client" with green fill.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. drag line chart so it populates table/data was in 2010

drag line chart so it populates table/data was in 2010

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Automatic Saving Excel Sheet Data

Instead of One Minute auto save timer to save data automatically, can we have an feature like an instant saving just like Google Sheet Online. Whatever we do any changes it saves instantly so even if the Excel gets crashed we wont be losing any data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make the project references dialog box big enough or scroll so we can see the full path and file name of the reference.

Make the project references dialog box big enough (or scroll) so we can see the full path and file name of the reference. The current dialog box isn't big enough to see the full reference to the path and file name of the file referenced.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. For the jump list, that when a file is renamed, that the new name should also be reflected in the jump list.

For the jump list, that when a file is renamed, that the new name should also be reflected in the jump list.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. How about a function to enable data to be swapped from one cell to another, eg if you want to move an item up a list to another cell and hav

A function to allow you to swap data from one to another, eg when constructing a list of priorities, if you have data in a cell that you want to move up a list to a cell that already has data in it then that data should have an option move to the cell that was just vacated. This would help when prioritising cell contents without the need for inserting cells, cutting & pasting and remembering what you have pasted over when cutting cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Is there any shortcut key to copy & paste a row & column one line item above the previous line item?

Is there any short cut key to copy & Paste the data from one line above / previous to current row and also to column?

Ex: I am creating an excel file, where I need the data available in row no:4, in the row no:6.

To copy in to row no:5, I can use 'Ctrl+D', if it is column I can use 'Ctrl+R'. However, to copy to row no:6, do we have any short cut keys defined? if not, can that be possible to do?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Increase Decimal auto fill formatting issues?

Excel's increase decimal button tends to outsmart itself. If I have a column of numbers:
    x

For x, if I want to type 100.0, I type "100" and then hit enter. Excel then inputs the integer "100" with no decimal. Then I hit the increase decimal button but instead of 100.0 it writes 100.00. Why doesn't Excel just increase the decimal by 1 instead of 2. I then have to hit decrease decimal after this to get it to go back down to 100.0. I would think Excel's autofill feature would follow the pattern of one decimal…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. MAKE IT EASY TO REDEFINE AND EDIT NAMED RANGES

Right click on the named range in the drop down menu, edit. Pretty **** simple.
    Also make the language and syntax across formulas CONSISTENT for GOD SAKE. HOW many versions is this? (make old syntax still functional for those that are used to them)

You know? I mean for god sake.

And bring back the floating borders menu, WITH the middle (between columns border button.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. provide a function so that it automatically locks the prevoiusly entered cells

provide a function so that it automatically locks the prevoiusly entered cells

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base