Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add an option to change the default for "Paste" so that it can be "Formulas" or Values"

The default for the Paste button is Paste All. This instantly destroys conditional formatting, other formats, and bordering of regions. There are now a good selection of Paste options below the Paste Button and the ability to select any one of these as the "Current Default" would speed up development time considerably. The Paste button image could be changed to show the current default.

The important ones are to have are "Paste Formulas" and "Paste Values". The best (and simpler) implementation, in my opinion, would be to have the Paste button do Paste Formulas with the button image changed to…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Include Text orientation for a cell

In order to view the text in the cell to display alignment , we need to have a option as orientation for the cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Align decimal easier

It's currently possible to align by decimals but it's very hard to use. The report to a manager could look much better if 10.01 and 1.01 were centered and aligned correctly. Make this easier to implement. I have to do a web search when I need to find how to do this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. If cell formatted as text, then excel has trouble with strings having between 255 and 1024 characters.

For eg, it cannot search for text string within the cell. Also contents of cell are shown as ##### in spreadsheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. New paste-special feature that can help curb some labour

Hi, a new paste special feature can be added that can serve the purpose below -

1. Select multiple cells / ranges from various parts of a sheet, copy
    2. Using new feature in paste special, paste the contents on a different sheet or a different part of the same sheet with the positions of the cells unchanged.

For example, if you select the ranges A1:D7, E1:G1,H1:H7 and copy and then select A8 and paste, it should result in the contents being pasted to the ranges - A8:A14,E8:G8 and H8:H14

pasting selections of multiple cells in the exact position

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Just show me how to eliminate blank header and footer space that automatically entered my worksheet

This is BS nothing here tells me how to remove unwanted header and footer spaces from my worksheet that automatically appeared as I was working on my spreadsheet

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Paste and Paste Special work differently on filtered data

When you filter data you can paste something that will apply to only the visible cells. However, if you want to use Paste Special (eg: to just paste a formula and not mess with the formatting) it will apply to both visible and filtered cells.

Paste Special should be changed to not affect non-visible/filtered out cells.

This should

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Up arrow key

in my previous excel version (2007), while im editing inside a cell, my up arrow key did bring the cursor from the end all the way to the front (like using the home key button)

however, my current version (2016) doesn't. any solution?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "Copy Without Formatting" as a fill handle option

The fill handle options currently let you fill a series with or without formatting, fill/copy only the formatting, or copy the cells with formatting. Please add the choice to copy the cells without formatting.

This would be useful in the case where the cells that you want to copy end in a number, and it would be much faster than copying and pasting as values.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add "Invisible Cells" to Find & Select in Home tab

Being able to easily find "invisible cells" would make cleaning/editing workbooks less of a walk-on-eggshells process, especially if you inherit a workbook from someone else.

Invisible cells could include cells with any of these properties:
    • Fill & font colours contrast badly (e.g. some people hide formulas by making the font white)
    • Invisible numbers custom format (e.g. ;;;)
    • Displayed characters are purely whitespace, non-printable, or hard to see (e.g. .:,)
    • Invisible non-default formatting, which add to the used range if you are not careful (e.g. deleting dates does not clear the date formatting)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make row & column AutoFit ignore/consider only selected cells

It is common to put notes above tables for other users to read. However, if you go to AutoFit your columns, the column will grow to accommodate the long note, even though the table column underneath is much shorter.

To avoid this, I can't just AutoFit all of my columns at once. I have to AutoFit every column but the one with the note in it, then move the note into another column, AutoFit the column that had the note in it, and move the note back. This is a pain.

My suggestion is for AutoFitting to either ignore or…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 23 24 25 27 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base