Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Move delete context button when right clicking on a Workbook Query

When I right click on a Workbook Query the "Edit" and "Delete" context menu options are right next to each other. I have clicked on Delete inadvertently multiple times when I wanted to click edit. From a UI perspective Delete should be farther away from any other option like Edit or Save.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow the "show/hide paragraph and other hidden formatting symbols" option/button, as in Word.

Word has this ability and I have the option on all the time. It shows if a user inadvertently hit a hard return, or extra spaces after a period. or any other hidden formatting is included. It would save valuable time in producing perfect documents. It's already in existence, just needs to be applied to Excel and PowerPoint.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Errors when using the arrow key to move through a formula.

Whenever I'm half way through writing a formula in the input box at the top and I use the arrow keys to navigate through the formula, it comes up with an error/warning. This is very frustrating...I know there is an error in my formula, I'm not finished writing it yet!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [BUG] Office365 Excel 2016(16.0.6568.2025 or 16.0.6568.2036) keep crash with "Microsoft Excel has stopped working"

For example, a single cell contain 15 lines text(use "ALT+ENTER"), when double click to enter edit mode, then select 11 lines(just more than 10 lines) text, don't go anywhere, just keep in edit mode, when you press "Ctrl+C" 2 or 3 times, Excel will 100% stop working. This bug can be reproduced in new version 16.0.6568.2025 or the latest version 16.0.6568.2036. If select less than 10 lines, it should be fine. But there doesn't have same bug in the previous version, i.e. 16.0.6366.2068 or 16.0.6001.1068. If anyone in M$ DEV team can see this, please help to double check! ;-)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Flash Fill should fill with formulas

Currently, Flash Fill will fill a column with hard-coded values that are derived similarly to the value that you feed it.

Flash Fill should instead perform the fill with formulas and replace your initial hard-coded entry with a formula as well.

Reasons for this:
    1. A formula-to-value conversion is much easier than a value-to-formula conversion.
    2. Tracking the derivation of Flash Fill makes the sheet more self-documenting.
    3. Your Flash Filled column will update if you change the source values.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. make provision to copy sum , average or count reflecting in status bar

make provision to copy sum , average or count reflecting in status bar

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Unhide with all cells selected

Currently, if you select all cells, right-click, and Unhide, only the rows will be unhidden. We should have the option to unhide all rows, all columns, or both.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Highlight chosen options in dropdown lists

When you check something from a dropdown list (e.g. LOCK CELLS - FORMAT on the HOME ribbon) there is a difference in how it looks on a PC and a MAC. The MAC version is much neater with the icon clearly visible and a clean tick to show that it's been selected. The PC version highlights the icon making it harder to identify the icon selected and it's not as obvious that it has in fact been selected. The MAC method of highlighted a selection is much neater and crisper.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7C9A112480B7D774!261418&authkey=!ACm4kYohDmKLPkE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7C9A112480B7D774!267022&authkey=!APPQKa7G6dl-oKk&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Transform ROWS ⇄ COLUMNS functions when pasting transposed

Since ROWS is used to count the number of rows in a range, it makes sense that if that range and the cell using ROWS are copied and pasted transposed, then ROWS should change to COLUMNS. A similar thing should happen with COLUMNS to ROWS.

A similar swap already occurs with the absoluteness of references.

Here is a demo file:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/u2kf5am1ai5bdbb/ROWS_Flip.xlsb

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Data validation list sources referring to tables are only dynamic for tables on the same sheet

Data validation still does not support structured references as list sources. Luckily, the non-structured references to table columns update if the column changes size. However, this only occurs if the data validation cell and the table are on the same sheet. This is further incentive, beyond the usual readability issue, for Excel to support structured references in data validation.

You can download a demo file here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/hrz90a8u7kk456p/Data_Validation_Table_Update.xlsb

Posts related to data validation and structured references:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/9018427-improve-data-validation
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10561302-data-validation-allow-table-references-as-list-s

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Non-unique names in the Name Manager

Go to the Name Manager and click "New". Fill in the "Comment" and "Refers to" sections. Set the Name and Scope to a combination that already exists. Excel will complain and reload the New Name window, erasing everything that you had typed before. This can be quite punishing for such a simple mistake if your formula is long and complicated or if you optimized your comment to fit within the character limit. Excel should instead just return you to the New Name window that you had before.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Wrap function: add an option for excel to automatically place a few dots (as in "...contd") just b4 the text becomes invisible due to wrap

When wrap is performed, there's no visible indication that there is more written in a cell than just the visible part (on those rare occasions when the wrap starts at precisely the end of a word and just before the start of a new word).

The suggestion is to add an option to the "wrap" function for the user to be able to select to have a few dots inserted automatically by excel just before the contents of the cell become invisible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Sharing columns without sharing column width: column distortion and subsheets

In order to maximize use of visual space, it is common to put 1 table underneath another. However, we are now forced to find column widths that works for both tables.

If one table has long entries in a column and the other table has short entries in the same column, then you will either have too much empty space in the 2nd table if appealing to the 1st, or chopped values in the 1st table if appealing to the 2nd, or a strange combination of both if trying to compromise.

A similar issue arises with rows if you have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Multitable Excel sheet with freedom in table width setting

I am using excel since over 20 years. I am capable to use it in quite advanced level including pivot tables, dashboards etc.
    But most to the time I am using excel just to prepare some simple reports. And most probably over 90% of the users are using just standard basic functionalities.
    When I do some reports, which consist of several tables then I am always fighting with columns width problem. Whenever I try to set some with, which is suitable for me, then I spoil the with of the columns in another table standing above or below of my…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow Replace to search a column and replace a value in a column beside it

I keep having to search a column for a certain string of characters to replace a value in a column a few columns over. Some way to change what column the replace function actually replaces in would be good.
    Another thing to consider is hitting control F would reselect the text in the Find what: field for Find or Replace. Makes it faster to search for another item.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Please make for Crtl-x the same pasteoptions available like Crtl-v

Ctrl-x offers only one paste option
    Ctrl-V enables multiple pasteoptions
    Please also makes for Crtl-x the same Paste Options available.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Selecting multiple sheets & copying from editing sheet

Selecting All Sheets & Editing/Formatting First Sheet Then All Selected Sheets Copying The Format Which We Are Formatting In First Sheet

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Animations

Please give users ability to turn off animations when cell is selected. This is annoying and there is no way to turn this off.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. CTRL+SHIFT+T not working to view Find window in the Italian Excel version

CTRL+SHIFT+T has always been the default shortcut to view the Find window in the Italian Excel and doesn't work any longer in Excel 2016. I hope it will be fixed before the new version. Please also add a way of customizing keyboard shortcuts like in MS Word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base