Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Starting a formula should not require "+", "-"or "=" signs

In excel, when entering the first number in a formula, the entire string is treated as a text string unless a sign (+, - or =) is added at the beginning. Other mathematical software in the past gave priority to the number "value" in the cell instead of the text "value" and thus it was easier to do simple calculations and write formulas. For example: +5*5 yields 25 while 5*5 (without the sign) yields 5*5 (a text string). 5*5 shoul always yield 25 unless especified using '5*5, which already yields 5*5

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Increase the number of items in clipboard with paste special feature

Increase the number of items that can be placed in clipboard. And also we should have option for paste special for any item in the clipboard.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add an "array formula" button to the "✗ ✓ fx" box

Currently, the only way to make an array formula is to press Ctrl + Shift + Enter (commonly abbreviated "CSE"). This is not at all intuitive. It needs to be learned and memorized. CSE is like a rite of passage into higher Excel. It doesn't need to be this way.

Having an "array formula" button in the "✗ ✓ fx" box would alleviate all of this. I'd suggest making each of the "✗ ✓ fx" buttons slightly narrower to make room for the "array formula" button, since these buttons are quite wide and spaced apart horizontally. I think that an…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I want to clear the text from a row but not the equations. Have a "clear contents" AND a "clear text" choices in the formatting window. thx.

I want to clear the text from a row but not the equations. Have a "clear contents" (clear all) AND a "clear text" (just clear text/numbers) choices in the formatting window. thx. The creation of a macro as the work-around suggested online is like using a nuclear bomb to swat a fly. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Paste Special Formula Literal (without offset)

Add new Paste Special feature that pastes the actual formula (rather than "Values" or the formula with offset as "Formulas" does).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Separate the Paste radio buttons in the Paste Special menu into check boxes

Most of the options in the Paste group of the Paste Special menu are not mutually exclusive, and so should be represented by check boxes rather than radio buttons. This saves having to Paste Special multiple times to choose multiple options.

For example, Formats, Comments, Validation, and Column Width can intuitively all be checked simultaneously. Formulas and Values are mutually exclusive with each other but not with the other options, so there would be radio buttons to choose between these 2, and these in turn would be grouped under a common check box. Formats might need 2 radio buttons as…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add GetPivotData, Table names, or named cells to the F4 cycle

F4 toggles through A1 --> $A$1 --> A$1 --> $A1 --> A1. Why not add GetPivotData, Table references, and named ranges to the F4 cycle?

When the reference is in a pivot table:
    GetPivotData --> A1 --> $A$1 --> A$1 --> $A1 --> GetPivotData

When the reference is in a Table:
    TableReference --> A1 --> $A$1 --> A$1 --> $A1 --> TableReference

When the reference is a named range
    RangeName --> A1 --> $A$1 --> A$1 --> $A1 --> RangeName

Some old timers won't like it when you change the behavior of F4, so you could add a checkbox next…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow for editing fractional seconds (hh:mm:ss.000)

If we enter time with fractional seconds, e.g. 12:34:56.789, we are unable to edit the fractional seconds later. Worse: any attempt to edit the cell changes the cell value to time rounded to the second (12:34:57), unless we are careful to press ESC instead of Enter. The problem is: the Formula Bar and Edit Directly In Cell only present time rounded to the second, regardless of the cell format.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. When copying a sheet, ask us what we want to rename it

When you copy a sheet, it automatically renames it "[original sheet name] (2)]". More than likely, that's not the name people want to use. It'd be nice to have a box pop up that asks what you want to rename the sheet. Saves me a couple of steps/clicks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Entering data with decimal values in percentage formatted cell

I have noticed a peculiar thing when the format of a cell is set to "percent". If I want to enter 27 percent, then I just write 27 and automatically, it makes it 27%. Similarly, when I enter a value with decimal point (like 0.79), it returns 1%. However, if I just type .79 (instead of 0.79), it returns me 79%, which is definitely incorrect. It would be good to sort this out as it is easier to type .79 instead of 0.79.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Selection border is too hard to grab to move.

On my desktop the active area is one pixel wide-extremely painful to hit when dragging a lot of data! Ended up moving workflow back to ctr+c/ctr+v. Same problem as: https://www.syncfusion.com/forums/25134/thicker-excel-selection-border

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Use Office standard of Shift+Alt Up/Down arrow to move rows

Please implement Shift+Alt+Arrow hotkeys to move rows up or down one line at a time. This is standard in Word, PowerPoint and OneNote, and would be preferable to the multi-click steps to select a row, rt-click drag it to a new position and select Shift Down and Move. Bonus points for implementing this for columns!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Show a popup/error message before allowing edit of grouped/multi-selected tabs/sheets

Popup when editing grouped tabs.

You can wreak havoc when editing / working with grouped tabs if you are not very careful. There should be an alert when you are editing more than one tab.

If you print and group the tabs to print multiple pages at the same time and then start editing without ungrouping the tabs, you're likely screwing up all your work. Likewise, if you save with tabs grouped, when you re-open the file, the tabs will still be grouped! If you begin working on your spreadsheet, you will be likely inadvertently editing multiple tabs.

The grouped…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Outline group settings clarity issue

Go to the Data tab and click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the Outline group to bring up a Settings window.

It has a check box labelled "Summary rows below detail". It is not clear what this means when the box is unchecked. Does it remove summary rows entirely, or just put them "not below" the detail?

Even though there are only 2 options, the check box should be replaced with radio buttons for "above" and "below". A similar argument can be made for the "Summary columns to right of detail" check box.

Alternatively, revamp…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Default Height in Home tab & StandardHeight access

Go Home tab → Format. You will see Default Width but not Default Height. Similarly, if you go Developer tab → Properties, you will see StandardWidth but not StandardHeight.

For consistency, Default Height should be a choice in Home tab → Format and StandardHeight should be user-accessible.

Currently, the only way to change StandardHeight is to use VBA or resize a row with all cells selected.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Adding a hyperlink reverts font size

When adding a hyperlink to a cell with a different font size than the one set during workbook creation (see File->Options->General->When creating new workbooks->Font Size) the font size is reverted to the original size.

This is not desired.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. More changing cells in Scenarios

Current number of changing cells 32 should be approx. 300-500.

- invoices / situations in constructing (building specifications, instalations ...)
    - price lists with history

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Select a curve and copy the values of the curve

It would be very useful if you can select a curve from a graphic and push a buttom to copy the values of the curve instead of looking for them in order to copy into another sheet.
    Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make the "Edit Links" menu show you where the link is in the sheet.

I create a lot of sheets which are similar but have different functions. Because they are quite complex, when I create a new one, rather than reinventing the wheel I usually open the last one I made and use it as a template for the new one, editing the bits that need changing. Unfortunately, the complexity means I sometimes miss a change and inadvertently end up with the sheet containing a link to another worksheet. This causes a whole raft of problems. The complexity means that it can be hard to locate the link.

It would be really helpful if…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)