Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add the ability to Invert selection (select all the cells that are not currently selected)

Hi, well the idea is not new at all, and lots of software do handle such a feature, Excel might be a good candidate for that too : when you select cells on a sheet, it could be useful to have a Revert or Invert Selection feature to select all other cells within a sheet (as described here https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/762-excel-reverse-selections.html)

7 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • A function of changing letter colour for editing bilingual / or other type of docs

I work as a translator and while translating docs in Word or Excel I usually change letter color of the frase translated, for example: "frase in Russian (in black colour) / frase in Spanish (in red colour). It is a quite convenient thing for reading docs written in 2 languages. The problem is that in Excel for example every time when changing letter colour and passing from one line to the other I always have to change letter colour manually. Is it possible to invent this function?
      It seems it could be useful for many professionals. Thanks in advance

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• PowerCrud

There are at least 99 ways to read data from a database into excel. 99% of the analysis as a result has to live in local excel files, since there's no ability for data to be stored back to a database - without vba tricks, or a BI stack using SSAS. Please, for Pete's sake, spend some time authoring a write- back facility at minimum, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Oracle and MySQL.

4 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Better indication of filtering in the Name Manager

You cannot tell if filtering is applied in the Name Manager until you click on the Filter button. Please add a filter icon to the Filter button and the columns being filtered when a filter is applied.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Starting a formula should not require "+", "-"or "=" signs

In excel, when entering the first number in a formula, the entire string is treated as a text string unless a sign (+, - or =) is added at the beginning. Other mathematical software in the past gave priority to the number "value" in the cell instead of the text "value" and thus it was easier to do simple calculations and write formulas. For example: +5*5 yields 25 while 5*5 (without the sign) yields 5*5 (a text string). 5*5 shoul always yield 25 unless especified using '5*5, which already yields 5*5

6 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Increase the number of items in clipboard with paste special feature

Increase the number of items that can be placed in clipboard. And also we should have option for paste special for any item in the clipboard.

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add an "array formula" button to the "✗ ✓ fx" box

Currently, the only way to make an array formula is to press Ctrl + Shift + Enter (commonly abbreviated "CSE"). This is not at all intuitive. It needs to be learned and memorized. CSE is like a rite of passage into higher Excel. It doesn't need to be this way.

Having an "array formula" button in the "✗ ✓ fx" box would alleviate all of this. I'd suggest making each of the "✗ ✓ fx" buttons slightly narrower to make room for the "array formula" button, since these buttons are quite wide and spaced apart horizontally. I think that an…

5 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• I want to clear the text from a row but not the equations. Have a "clear contents" AND a "clear text" choices in the formatting window. thx.

I want to clear the text from a row but not the equations. Have a "clear contents" (clear all) AND a "clear text" (just clear text/numbers) choices in the formatting window. thx. The creation of a macro as the work-around suggested online is like using a nuclear bomb to swat a fly. Thanks.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Paste Special Formula Literal (without offset)

Add new Paste Special feature that pastes the actual formula (rather than "Values" or the formula with offset as "Formulas" does).

6 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Separate the Paste radio buttons in the Paste Special menu into check boxes

Most of the options in the Paste group of the Paste Special menu are not mutually exclusive, and so should be represented by check boxes rather than radio buttons. This saves having to Paste Special multiple times to choose multiple options.

For example, Formats, Comments, Validation, and Column Width can intuitively all be checked simultaneously. Formulas and Values are mutually exclusive with each other but not with the other options, so there would be radio buttons to choose between these 2, and these in turn would be grouped under a common check box. Formats might need 2 radio buttons as…

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Links to Other Workbooks

I like to see the process of viewing, editing and breaking links to other workbooks made SIMPLER. I find it annoying that I have to use various methods to do so - particularly when trying to locate a broken link. I.E., searching on the "[" symbol, going into "Name Manager", etc. Why not just have one icon in Formula Auditing to find broken links and option to then break them.

7 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add GetPivotData, Table names, or named cells to the F4 cycle

F4 toggles through A1 --> $A$1 --> A$1 --> $A1 --> A1. Why not add GetPivotData, Table references, and named ranges to the F4 cycle?

When the reference is in a pivot table:
                          GetPivotData --> A1 --> $A$1 --> A$1 --> $A1 --> GetPivotData

When the reference is in a Table:
                          TableReference --> A1 --> $A$1 --> A$1 --> $A1 --> TableReference

When the reference is a named range
                          RangeName --> A1 --> $A$1 --> A$1 --> $A1 --> RangeName

Some old timers won't like it when you change the behavior of F4, so you could add a checkbox next…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow for editing fractional seconds (hh:mm:ss.000)

If we enter time with fractional seconds, e.g. 12:34:56.789, we are unable to edit the fractional seconds later. Worse: any attempt to edit the cell changes the cell value to time rounded to the second (12:34:57), unless we are careful to press ESC instead of Enter. The problem is: the Formula Bar and Edit Directly In Cell only present time rounded to the second, regardless of the cell format.

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pivot Tables

It would be nice pivot table adopt new calculation column. I need to be able to enter formulas out of the pivot table tesult. For example, I need to kno the percentage of two columns that are on my pivot table, when information refresh I need to redo my formula and add or remove source as the pivot table grow or shrink. I am looking for more calculation options on pivotT

6 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Edit offline

Office 365 Subscribers should be able to edit their workbooks and documents offline. Supply a key to access files to edit. Not read only.

8 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• When copying a sheet, ask us what we want to rename it

When you copy a sheet, it automatically renames it "[original sheet name] (2)]". More than likely, that's not the name people want to use. It'd be nice to have a box pop up that asks what you want to rename the sheet. Saves me a couple of steps/clicks.

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Entering data with decimal values in percentage formatted cell

I have noticed a peculiar thing when the format of a cell is set to "percent". If I want to enter 27 percent, then I just write 27 and automatically, it makes it 27%. Similarly, when I enter a value with decimal point (like 0.79), it returns 1%. However, if I just type .79 (instead of 0.79), it returns me 79%, which is definitely incorrect. It would be good to sort this out as it is easier to type .79 instead of 0.79.

Thanks

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Paste Special > SUM (of copied range)

Please add a Paste SUM feature where if I copy a range of numbers I can paste the SUM of those into a cell on the same or a different worksheet.

5 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Selection border is too hard to grab to move.

On my desktop the active area is one pixel wide-extremely painful to hit when dragging a lot of data! Ended up moving workflow back to ctr+c/ctr+v. Same problem as: https://www.syncfusion.com/forums/25134/thicker-excel-selection-border

4 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Use Office standard of Shift+Alt Up/Down arrow to move rows

Please implement Shift+Alt+Arrow hotkeys to move rows up or down one line at a time. This is standard in Word, PowerPoint and OneNote, and would be preferable to the multi-click steps to select a row, rt-click drag it to a new position and select Shift Down and Move. Bonus points for implementing this for columns!

3 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base