Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow us to turn off automatic conversion to date

Search for "make excel stop converting numbers to dates" and you will see the user demand for this feature. Please for the love of all that is holy let this be at least an advanced user setting.

327 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

61 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Jessica. We’ve got a few other suggestions on the site that are similar with scientific notation, etc. We’ll take a look at this area, and pay special attention to any cases that get a lot of votes. So please keep the votes coming to help us do a good job at prioritizing asks like this!

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

2. Enable copy/paste to a comment box

Existing thread seems rather confused. But it would be useful to copy text or a section from a worksheet into a comment box.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sheet creation timestamp, last updated timestamp and last accessed timestamp

Whenever multiple sheets are created in a file, there should be provision to easily view and update - 1) the sheet creation date and time, 2) the last updated date and time for the sheet, 3) the last accessed date and time for the sheet. This will add more information to the multiple sheets in a file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Text Highlight Color in Excel as in Word

When a text with a background Highlight Color is copied from Word to Excel the text highlight color behind the character(s) is removed. You could expand in the Excel ribbon with a text highlight color button, which becomes active when a text is edited in a cell.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. allow equation editor to reference cell values

I use equation editor to show students to teach some data science formulas. This would be a great addition for academia and professional work that rely on maths.

We can create our functions in Excel that does all the calculations for us. All that equation editor does is reference the values of cells -- so it wouldn't be doing any calculation per say.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. inserting new lines automaticaly copy the formula above or below

for regular users it is really boring have to copy the formula each time you add a new line... (and yes, if they need a new line you will just insert a new line)

simple formulas as: D4+B5-C5 as the formula for the cell D5
    if I add a new line the excel should ask me like formating, if I want to copy the formula from above or bellow

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Symbols menu - Equations

Hello! I suggest removing the Symbols menu (equations) permanently from Excel as this would make it more "natural", since the application's emphasis is data analysis.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. A button for converting formulas into values, instead of the old "copy"-"paste values".

I think it is high time for Excel to implement a button, in the "Data" ribbon, for converting formulas into values with one click (and a confirmation dialog). In my opinion, the "copy & paste values" option, has to be declared obsolete.

Regards

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Move Save and Undo commands further apart in the UI

The opposite of "Save" is "Undo". Therefore these two functions/icons should be placed away from each other. unfortunately there are located next to each other in Excel. I have accidently clicked 'Undo' instead of 'save' many times while using Excel, and it created problems. The problem worsens because sometimes I don't remember what changes I made last, and what has been changed by Undo. Although there are ways of recovering and finding history of actions, however, if these two functions (save and undo) are a bit far, then it may reduce the possibility of such mistakes. .. it was just…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Keyboard Shortcut Mode - to help learn shortcuts

Create a mode which would apply to all of Excel. In this mode, all ribbon functions that had Keyboard shortcut alternatives would no longer perform the function, but instead would display the keyboard shortcut. For example, on the Home tab lets say you wanted to Bold your text. When you clicked the B, it would just pop-up "Ctrl + B" in a text box. It would teach users the keyboard shortcuts very quickly and people would naturally start using the program faster.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Use General format when inserting a new column instead of inheriting the format of the previous one.

Use Genral format when inserting a new column instead of inheriting the format of the previous one. Or ask the user.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Virtual in-cell dropdowns

Allow an in-cell dropdown list to be returned from a user-defined function (currently it must refer to a real cell range or literal list).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow users to customise the right click shortcut menus, in the same way they can customise the Quick Access Toolbar.

Allow users to customise the right click shortcut menus, in the same way they can customise the Quick Access Toolbar.

Over 20 + years of using Excel daily, I have literally wasted weeks of my life scrolling up to the top of the screen to use the auto sum button on the toolbar at the top of the screen.

Please allow us to be able to add or remove functions from the right click short cut menu. Please allow us to be able to customise it in the same way we can customise the Quick Access Toolbar, or how we…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Stop Copy & Paste overwriting Data Validation

When you have data validation on a cell, a drop down list for example. A user can circumvent all of this by either copying and pasting into the cell or when dragging from other cells numbers can increment and therefore render the data validation, invalid. A user should not be able to copy and paste values which are not in the validation.

99 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Symbol search

Inserting a symbol is time-consuming. You do not necessarily know which subset your symbol is in, so you end up eyeballing for it in the Symbol window or searching for it on Google. My suggestion is to add a search through all of Unicode to the Symbol window. If a symbol is not available in the selected font, find a match in another font and indicate so.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Links to Other Workbooks

I like to see the process of viewing, editing and breaking links to other workbooks made SIMPLER. I find it annoying that I have to use various methods to do so - particularly when trying to locate a broken link. I.E., searching on the "[" symbol, going into "Name Manager", etc. Why not just have one icon in Formula Auditing to find broken links and option to then break them.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Improve Data Validation (make it AutoComplete based on typed characters)

Data Validation needs an auto complete in the List Option
    It also needs to support Table Structured references directly in the List option without having to wrap it in a Name

248 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Paste Special > SUM (of copied range)

Please add a Paste SUM feature where if I copy a range of numbers I can paste the SUM of those into a cell on the same or a different worksheet.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Starting a formula should not require "+", "-"or "=" signs

In excel, when entering the first number in a formula, the entire string is treated as a text string unless a sign (+, - or =) is added at the beginning. Other mathematical software in the past gave priority to the number "value" in the cell instead of the text "value" and thus it was easier to do simple calculations and write formulas. For example: +55 yields 25 while 55 (without the sign) yields 55 (a text string). 55 shoul always yield 25 unless especified using '55, which already yields 55

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base