Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Default Height in Home tab & StandardHeight access

Go Home tab → Format. You will see Default Width but not Default Height. Similarly, if you go Developer tab → Properties, you will see StandardWidth but not StandardHeight.

For consistency, Default Height should be a choice in Home tab → Format and StandardHeight should be user-accessible.

Currently, the only way to change StandardHeight is to use VBA or resize a row with all cells selected.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Adding a hyperlink reverts font size

When adding a hyperlink to a cell with a different font size than the one set during workbook creation (see File->Options->General->When creating new workbooks->Font Size) the font size is reverted to the original size.

This is not desired.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Select a curve and copy the values of the curve

It would be very useful if you can select a curve from a graphic and push a buttom to copy the values of the curve instead of looking for them in order to copy into another sheet.
    Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [BUG] Office365 Excel 2016(16.0.6568.2025 or 16.0.6568.2036) keep crash with "Microsoft Excel has stopped working"

For example, a single cell contain 15 lines text(use "ALT+ENTER"), when double click to enter edit mode, then select 11 lines(just more than 10 lines) text, don't go anywhere, just keep in edit mode, when you press "Ctrl+C" 2 or 3 times, Excel will 100% stop working. This bug can be reproduced in new version 16.0.6568.2025 or the latest version 16.0.6568.2036. If select less than 10 lines, it should be fine. But there doesn't have same bug in the previous version, i.e. 16.0.6366.2068 or 16.0.6001.1068. If anyone in M$ DEV team can see this, please help to double check! ;-)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Non-unique names in the Name Manager

Go to the Name Manager and click "New". Fill in the "Comment" and "Refers to" sections. Set the Name and Scope to a combination that already exists. Excel will complain and reload the New Name window, erasing everything that you had typed before. This can be quite punishing for such a simple mistake if your formula is long and complicated or if you optimized your comment to fit within the character limit. Excel should instead just return you to the New Name window that you had before.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Multitable Excel sheet with freedom in table width setting

I am using excel since over 20 years. I am capable to use it in quite advanced level including pivot tables, dashboards etc.
    But most to the time I am using excel just to prepare some simple reports. And most probably over 90% of the users are using just standard basic functionalities.
    When I do some reports, which consist of several tables then I am always fighting with columns width problem. Whenever I try to set some with, which is suitable for me, then I spoil the with of the columns in another table standing above or below of my…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please make for Crtl-x the same pasteoptions available like Crtl-v

Ctrl-x offers only one paste option
    Ctrl-V enables multiple pasteoptions
    Please also makes for Crtl-x the same Paste Options available.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Selecting multiple sheets & copying from editing sheet

Selecting All Sheets & Editing/Formatting First Sheet Then All Selected Sheets Copying The Format Which We Are Formatting In First Sheet

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Animations

Please give users ability to turn off animations when cell is selected. This is annoying and there is no way to turn this off.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. CTRL+SHIFT+T not working to view Find window in the Italian Excel version

CTRL+SHIFT+T has always been the default shortcut to view the Find window in the Italian Excel and doesn't work any longer in Excel 2016. I hope it will be fixed before the new version. Please also add a way of customizing keyboard shortcuts like in MS Word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. find and replace

This is a minor issue, but annoying. When you open the Find and Replace box after using it once, the cursor is in the "Replace with:" box. Can the cursor always start in the "Find what:" box?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. When making a copy of a tab let me choose how many copies I want

When I right click on a tab and choose the "Move or Copy..." option, then check the box to "Create a copy" it would be nice if the was an area underneath the check box to enter the number of copies that I want. Then I wouldn't have to do this ten times if I want ten copies of a sheet.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. replace algorithm

I often work with the hyphen separated double serial numbers, that some of which Excel interprets like date by default. I use text cell type for this values.
    Then I tried to replace this values by means of search and replace function, selected input and output type as text, my value after replacement became the date first, then changed to the numeric equivalent.
    It would be much better if the result of the replacement operation immediately interpreted in a user-specified type.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow direct editing in cells

Please make an icon in the ribbon for de/activating direct editing in cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Editing a formula in a cell should not overlap the neighbouring left and right cell

When you type a formula in a cell, the full formula is displayed in the grid. If the formula is long, is starts overlapping with cells on the left and right of the edited cell. But it then means you cannot insert the coordinate of these overlaped cells in the formula by clicking on them because what you actually do is click on the formula. When editing a formula in a cell, the display of the formula must be constrained to its cell borders to allow neighbouring cells to be accessible for the click.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. remove multiple hyperlinks

If you right-click on a single cell, the option to remove hyperlink is available.
    But if you select more than one cell (all of them containing hyperlinks) and right-click, the remove hyperlink option does not appear.
    There is no way to remove a sheet-full of hyperlinks in one shot.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Can't empty the clipboard

Why oh why is Excel throwing up a "Can't empty the clipboard" error for more than a DECADE. Why is it using the clipboard like that at all? It is these idiotic small things that drove me to Google Sheets.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Military Dating formate

The military uses a different date format, and excel does not have it available. So if that format could be included it would add functionality for them. the long way to do it would be (Y=year, M=month, D=Day) YYYYMMDD while the short version is YYMMDD.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)