Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Delete Cells" needs a preference option

The "Delete" button on the home tab needs a preference option. Right now, the direction cells shift is based on the dimensions of my selection. I want to be able to set the direction that cells will shift without having to open the "Delete Cells" dialogue every time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Mostrar celdas ocultas temporalmente

La idea es muy simple, manejó una lista muy larga donde voy ocultando las celdas de los trabajos terminados para hacerla más simple. El problema es que para poder ver estas celdas para buscar un dato, tengo que mostrar todas las celdas ocultas y si edito alguna ya no puedo volver atrás y ocultar las celdas que estaban seleccionadas.
    Sería genial tener una simple función que muestre y vuelva a ocultar las celdas que ya se encuentran ocultas.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Capitalize letters, uppercase letters, or lowercase letters like on Word

Capitalize words as on Word or even choose to have them all uppercase

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Let Find and Replace always start in the first inputbox

When I first use Find and Replace (Ctrl+H) the upper inputbox Search for is selected. Fine. But when I use Find and Replace for the second time and further (during the same session), the lower inputbox Replace by is default. Please, always have the first inputbox selected.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When adding lines or columns, make it possible to add more than one at a time.

I'm not sure that it's not possible already, but I would love to be able to add more than just one column or one line at a time. So let's say, you would right click on a cell, choose insert, and at this point there would be a box where you can choose how many lines or columns to add.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Data Validation List Default Starting Point

Is there a way to make my list default to a position which is already pre-scrolled down the list so that the current selection is the first shown value in the drop down itself? In this case, if 6/13/17 is shown, then 6/14/17 should be the 2nd value in the drop down. Other's print this report and do not realize (and never will) that they can type in their selection instead of having to scroll down from 1/1/2017 but they complain anyway.

*Odd thing to note* This never used to happen and what I'm asking for help with used to happen without my knowing how or intention of doing so. Then one…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Alt + Mouse select to highlight text columns

i want the same effect like word or notepad++ in microsoft excel visual basic editor where i can choose/highlight text from left column to right using the alt key plus left mouse button

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow Sharepoint to be a "trusted" location and open files in edit mode by default.

Even though I have sharepoint locations set up as a Trusted Locations, Excel will not default to opening those files in Edit mode. I have all of my frequent files pinned, and they all default to read-only mode when I open them. This means many many extra clicks every day as virtually everything I work on is located on sharepoint.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Paste Special - add Append (&) to the Operation section (there is even space for it!)

This would allow one to easily add text to the end of cells without having to create a new formula.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Round button

It would be amazing if there were a button you could click when you had several cells highlighted, that would round them to a user specified number of decimal places. Similar to the =round(A1,2) function, but that would allow you to apply the "round" formula to several cells at once.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Paste Special - Add a numeric field when using one operation

Via the Paste Special we can operate on a range of values. However, to do, for instance, a multiplication, we first need to use a cell for it. As an option I would like to see that we can instead add a number to the Paste Special dialog as the attached screen shot shows.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Change the CTRL + Z and CTRL + Y commands

In the case of multiple open sheets the commands (CTRL + Z) and (CTRL + Y) work independently of the selected sheet. Perhaps it would be better for each sheet to take account of its own typing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add 'change recorder' functionality that creates a change log to a workbook

Allow users to activate a change recorder for files (password protected to deactivate) that creates a log of changes, with date-time stamps and the users making the changes (similar to macro recorder?). The the log can be saved in the sheet, or sent to a specific location.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. protect sheet

Move all the Protect Sheet options to a separate tab. At the moment, users can find some of the options on the Format tab but they have to go to Format Cells to find "Hidden". It's confusing.

It would also make it a lot clearer if the Lock Cell option had a clearer indication of whether it's on or off.

Users struggle to see if cells are locked or not.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. I have a question? I have this on two computers. When I update on computer why doesn't it sync all computers.

It may be possible but I don't know how. I have excel on two computers. I have the same file. But when I input my expenses on one it doesn't update the other. Is there a way? If not there should be. It is the same account why wouldn't it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. How about a hotkey for merging cells?

I would love a hotkey for merging cells as its really tedious when creating large tables to go through the entire document, pressing the button instead of hitting a key instead. Perhaps using the Ctrl function could achieve this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow Astrixs in Tab Names

I would like to use the * character in a tab name.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Enable user to enter a value (ideally multiple, too) to jump to an option in cell drop-down list (ALT + DOWN KEY)

When you are in a cell and press ALT + DOWN KEY, Excel will display a list of all of the values in that column. You have to scroll using the vertical scroll ball. It would nice to be able to enter the text that you're looking for and have Excel scroll to those values. Ideally with multiple characters allowed. And if you could uses the mouse scroll wheel (I have a Logitech hyperwheel) that would be beneficial as well.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base