Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Rename file" button

If there were a Rename File button, we wouldn't have to spend so much time closing the file, renaming it in File Explorer and opening it again.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Capitalize letters, uppercase letters, or lowercase letters like on Word

Capitalize words as on Word or even choose to have them all uppercase

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Possibility to copy and filter without having "Enable Editing" on

In my work i use many excels where i gather information from and analyze the data. It would great to be able to use the filters and to copy grafs and text withoug klicking the "enable editing". In many cases there are also other people using the same data and now we can use it one at a time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Drag-and-Insert/Paste a selected column (or row)

When dragging a column or a row, I would like to drag-and-insert (paste) when depressing, for example, a <Shift> key. Excel would then combine (1) the create a new column/row and (2) paste in the one drag-and-insert/paste functionality. The formatting of the original column would follow the repositioned column (or row); any embedded formulas (cells) would be adjusted for the new column (or row). Thank you!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. provide an option to set Excel's default paste behavior

When you do an ordinary paste like Ctrl+V, Excel pastes the cell values, formatting, validation, everything. However, many users usually paste only values when working, and the extra handling to paste special is not productive.

Word and OneNote have a setting that allow the user to choose the default paste type, and that should also be available in Excel.

I know there are add-ins to workaround that and also the shortcut AppKey+V to paste values, but I think that should be a native Excel setting.

656 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

210 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Right click option for spell and grammar

The option for right click spell and grammar option maybe helpful within excel spreadsheet current cell, column or rows.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Hyperlink only certain text in one single cell

Want to be able to hyperlink only a section of text in a cell. For example the cell would contain "For more information click here". Would like to make only the word "here" a hot link, not the entire text in the cell.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Naming Tabs

It would be nice if you could link the contents of a particular cell in the tab name. For example, if each tab was for a particular date range of data, it would be nice if we could name the tab with the date that exists in a particular cell in the spreadsheet. This would be particularly helpful for a spreadsheet that will be re-used from one year to another and not have to change the tab names manually.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Triple click the left mouse button in a cell or the formula bar to select all text

When a cell or the text within a cell is triple clicked with the left mouse button, it should select all the text within the cell. This applies the the formula bar too.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please return the split screen tool, that was easily accessible from the right hand of the screen.

Please Please Please return the split screen tool, that was easily accessible from the right hand of the screen. It was a small horizontal line located on top of the scroll bar.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Spelling should highlight the problematic word in the cell.

When the Spelling check is run on cells with a lot of text, it can be hard to find the offending word. The spelling form shows the problematic word with suggestions and the problematic word should be highlighted so to be able to immediately read the context and choose the proper correction.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Let Find and Replace always start in the first inputbox

When I first use Find and Replace (Ctrl+H) the upper inputbox Search for is selected. Fine. But when I use Find and Replace for the second time and further (during the same session), the lower inputbox Replace by is default. Please, always have the first inputbox selected.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please add back the ability to insert photos in comment box. This is a function that I use a lot and now I will have to use an older versio

Please add back the ability to insert photos in comment box. This is a function that I use a lot and now I will have to use an older version to access it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. CTRL DESELECT

It is difficult to deselect specific unwanted cells whenever we use the Ctrl+select shortcut key. It is extremely vital for managing huge data over thousands, one mistake will cost me to re-select all of them again.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. paste only unique entries

Add to paste special... paste only unique records

When a list is copied and this option selected, then duplicates are removed from the list before pasting.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Move or copy sheet

I often copy Excel sheets within a workbook or to a new workbook. I never or almost never wish to delete the sheet I am moving. It would therefore be better if Excel would allow us to keep the "Create a copy" check box selected by default, ie, perhaps by remembering our last action.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Change font in Formula bar

Please add the ability for user to set formula bar font separate from default workbook font (one might want to set monospace font that is more applicable for formula editing, but hardly any usable for workbooks)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bring back drag handles to freeze rows and columns

Current versions of Excel have removed the drag handles to lock rows/columns. While there is an alternative option now via the Freeze pains route, it's more time consuming (you have to select the row/column, then click away to the ribbon and click to choose your option). It basically doesn't work as well and slows down work. Why can't MS leave the earlier way of locking rows/columns?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. LET ME OPEN SEVERAL XL FILES IN A SINGLE WINDOWS

Just want to compare 3 files at a glance
    Impossible with that boring ribbon
    And "arranging the display" rearrange XL... and other running app.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base