Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add "Copy cell reference to clipboard" option in cells' contextual menus

Add "Copy cell reference to clipboard" option in cells' contextual menus
    This would copy the "sheet!A1" reference to the clipboard so we could easily insert it in a formula somewhere.
    This could also work for a selection, i.e.
    "firstSheet:lastSheet!A1:Z9"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. TRIM function without a formula

Create a function in the Data tab that would allow extra spaces in a cell to be trimmed. It could have a drop down for Before text - After text and Mid text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Fill justify removes text formatting like subscript

Formatting of text (like subscript or underline) is removed when it moves down to other rows when using Fill Justify. It would be better if the formatting was maintained.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Annoyance: Entire spreadsheet is selected after a search fails.

1) Search for a non-existent string in a spreadsheet.
    2) Hit Escape twice (why twice?) to close dialogs (or use pointing device)
    3) Entire spreadsheet is selected.
    Why does this happen? It never happened with previous versions of Excel and is distracting.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Prompt "Are you sure you want to change cell contents, Yes or No" when clicking on a protected cell.

I want to be able to change protected cells without having to unprotect the whole sheet/workbook, make the change and then protect it again, which is somewhat of a hassle.
    I find often that I accidentally cleared or changed cells in unprotected sheets, thus losing the data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow user to specify how many blank rows to be inserted

It would be great if the dialog box for inserting a new row or coloumn had the option to specify how many rows or columns you wish to insert.

Eg 3, 4 or 10 (just a little text box would do, similar to that when it asks how many copies of a document to print.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. It is very rare that I sort using a header row. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us an option that makes no assumptions on my behalf.

I frequently sort in Excel. It is very rare that I sort using a header row. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us an option that makes no assumptions on my behalf. Let me set it to not include a header row unless I specifically tell it to. No macros. No special key combinations. No tricks like blank lines or special formatting. Allow me to turn it off unless I select it. Predictable behavior would be much superior to what has been implemented.

I'm sure that there will be others that want exactly the opposite - always on. Other people will want…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please modify Autocorrect in Excel 2016 to allow formated entries

Word 2016 Proofing Autocorrect allows us to replace typed text with formatted text. This allows easy addition of eg, m2, km2 etc with superscripted numbers. In Excel there is no option for this. Though formatted text can be inserted by copying from the Character Map and pasting. Few users would know this. Please fix.

It would also be useful if Autocorrect entries in Word could be applied to Excel as I believe was once the case, but now doesn't seem to work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. A non-truncated data validation list regardless of the column size

I may have missed something but in Excel 2003, it was possible to create a data validation list that could show the whole (not truncated) label of the list items regardless of the width of the column! If my memory serves me right, the trick was to resize the column before creating the data validation...

Bringing back this feature in the new version of Excel would be great!

Many thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Smart quotes

Excel should copy Word's behaviour for AutoCorrecting straight quotes (' ' and " ") into curly quotes (‘ ’ and “ ”). The benefit of this is the same as in Word: the quotation marks look the way that the writer intended.

Exception 1: If a cell value begins with an apostrophe, do not AutoCorrect it, since this is used to force Excel to treat the value as text.

Exception 2: If the cell value begins with "=", do not AutoCorrect quotes, since "=" indicates a formula and would make matching start and end quotes harder.

Alternative to exception 2:…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. I would like to be able to change the color of the highlighted cell so it is easier to see,

When I have different colors in my spreadsheet it is sometimes difficult to see which cell I am in if I have to switch to monitor 2 and then go back to monitor one. It would be nice to have a function to change the colors of the cell that I am working in so it is easier to find.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. PowerCrud

There are at least 99 ways to read data from a database into excel. 99% of the analysis as a result has to live in local excel files, since there's no ability for data to be stored back to a database - without vba tricks, or a BI stack using SSAS. Please, for Pete's sake, spend some time authoring a write- back facility at minimum, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Oracle and MySQL.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Starting a formula should not require "+", "-"or "=" signs

In excel, when entering the first number in a formula, the entire string is treated as a text string unless a sign (+, - or =) is added at the beginning. Other mathematical software in the past gave priority to the number "value" in the cell instead of the text "value" and thus it was easier to do simple calculations and write formulas. For example: +55 yields 25 while 55 (without the sign) yields 55 (a text string). 55 shoul always yield 25 unless especified using '55, which already yields 55

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Increase the number of items in clipboard with paste special feature

Increase the number of items that can be placed in clipboard. And also we should have option for paste special for any item in the clipboard.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Paste Special Formula Literal (without offset)

Add new Paste Special feature that pastes the actual formula (rather than "Values" or the formula with offset as "Formulas" does).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Separate the Paste radio buttons in the Paste Special menu into check boxes

Most of the options in the Paste group of the Paste Special menu are not mutually exclusive, and so should be represented by check boxes rather than radio buttons. This saves having to Paste Special multiple times to choose multiple options.

For example, Formats, Comments, Validation, and Column Width can intuitively all be checked simultaneously. Formulas and Values are mutually exclusive with each other but not with the other options, so there would be radio buttons to choose between these 2, and these in turn would be grouped under a common check box. Formats might need 2 radio buttons as…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow for editing fractional seconds (hh:mm:ss.000)

If we enter time with fractional seconds, e.g. 12:34:56.789, we are unable to edit the fractional seconds later. Worse: any attempt to edit the cell changes the cell value to time rounded to the second (12:34:57), unless we are careful to press ESC instead of Enter. The problem is: the Formula Bar and Edit Directly In Cell only present time rounded to the second, regardless of the cell format.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. When copying a sheet, ask us what we want to rename it

When you copy a sheet, it automatically renames it "[original sheet name] (2)]". More than likely, that's not the name people want to use. It'd be nice to have a box pop up that asks what you want to rename the sheet. Saves me a couple of steps/clicks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Selection border is too hard to grab to move.

On my desktop the active area is one pixel wide-extremely painful to hit when dragging a lot of data! Ended up moving workflow back to ctr+c/ctr+v. Same problem as: https://www.syncfusion.com/forums/25134/thicker-excel-selection-border

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Show a popup/error message before allowing edit of grouped/multi-selected tabs/sheets

Popup when editing grouped tabs.

You can wreak havoc when editing / working with grouped tabs if you are not very careful. There should be an alert when you are editing more than one tab.

If you print and group the tabs to print multiple pages at the same time and then start editing without ungrouping the tabs, you're likely screwing up all your work. Likewise, if you save with tabs grouped, when you re-open the file, the tabs will still be grouped! If you begin working on your spreadsheet, you will be likely inadvertently editing multiple tabs.

The grouped…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base