Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Move delete context button when right clicking on a Workbook Query

When I right click on a Workbook Query the "Edit" and "Delete" context menu options are right next to each other. I have clicked on Delete inadvertently multiple times when I wanted to click edit. From a UI perspective Delete should be farther away from any other option like Edit or Save.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow the "show/hide paragraph and other hidden formatting symbols" option/button, as in Word.

Word has this ability and I have the option on all the time. It shows if a user inadvertently hit a hard return, or extra spaces after a period. or any other hidden formatting is included. It would save valuable time in producing perfect documents. It's already in existence, just needs to be applied to Excel and PowerPoint.

3 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improved 'Delete Rows' handling when working with large filtered datasets

This has long been an issue for me in Excel...

If I have a large dataset (perhaps within a complex spreadsheet), and I want to delete a set of rows I have filtered on, Excel appears to remove a single row at a time, refreshing the screen after each.
          The result is that it can take a significant amount of time (hours, in some cases) to complete this action.

The current workaround is to sort the data on the intended filter value, and then delete the rows - this then removes them in one go, and takes 1 second to…

7 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Errors when using the arrow key to move through a formula.

Whenever I'm half way through writing a formula in the input box at the top and I use the arrow keys to navigate through the formula, it comes up with an error/warning. This is very frustrating...I know there is an error in my formula, I'm not finished writing it yet!

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • [BUG] Office365 Excel 2016(16.0.6568.2025 or 16.0.6568.2036) keep crash with "Microsoft Excel has stopped working"

For example, a single cell contain 15 lines text(use "ALT+ENTER"), when double click to enter edit mode, then select 11 lines(just more than 10 lines) text, don't go anywhere, just keep in edit mode, when you press "Ctrl+C" 2 or 3 times, Excel will 100% stop working. This bug can be reproduced in new version 16.0.6568.2025 or the latest version 16.0.6568.2036. If select less than 10 lines, it should be fine. But there doesn't have same bug in the previous version, i.e. 16.0.6366.2068 or 16.0.6001.1068. If anyone in M$ DEV team can see this, please help to double check! ;-)

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Cell edit history feature

Hey Devs
                I was working on this sheet and I think I pressed some keys unintentionally on some blocks. Now, I didn't notice it then but after a few days of working I went to the block and I am not sure if the information there is what it needed to be.
                The problem is I don't remember what information should have been there. Now, I also cannot "undo" everything to get that. So is it possible to have a feature like "Cell history" which might save at regular intervals or at every "Ctrl + S"
                Feel free to ask…

5 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Flash Fill should fill with formulas

Currently, Flash Fill will fill a column with hard-coded values that are derived similarly to the value that you feed it.

Flash Fill should instead perform the fill with formulas and replace your initial hard-coded entry with a formula as well.

Reasons for this:
                  1. A formula-to-value conversion is much easier than a value-to-formula conversion.
                  2. Tracking the derivation of Flash Fill makes the sheet more self-documenting.
                  3. Your Flash Filled column will update if you change the source values.

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• make provision to copy sum , average or count reflecting in status bar

make provision to copy sum , average or count reflecting in status bar

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Unhide with all cells selected

Currently, if you select all cells, right-click, and Unhide, only the rows will be unhidden. We should have the option to unhide all rows, all columns, or both.

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• In copy and paste, have a paste option that pastes without relative cell addressing (like a move but a copy).

In copy and paste, have a paste option that pastes with absolute cell addressing (like a move but a copy).

This would avoid having to F4 all the cell references or changing the formulae to text (' prefix) , copy the text and remove the ' prefix

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Highlight chosen options in dropdown lists

When you check something from a dropdown list (e.g. LOCK CELLS - FORMAT on the HOME ribbon) there is a difference in how it looks on a PC and a MAC. The MAC version is much neater with the icon clearly visible and a clean tick to show that it's been selected. The PC version highlights the icon making it harder to identify the icon selected and it's not as obvious that it has in fact been selected. The MAC method of highlighted a selection is much neater and crisper.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7C9A112480B7D774!261418&authkey=!ACm4kYohDmKLPkE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7C9A112480B7D774!267022&authkey=!APPQKa7G6dl-oKk&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Transform ROWS ⇄ COLUMNS functions when pasting transposed

Since ROWS is used to count the number of rows in a range, it makes sense that if that range and the cell using ROWS are copied and pasted transposed, then ROWS should change to COLUMNS. A similar thing should happen with COLUMNS to ROWS.

A similar swap already occurs with the absoluteness of references.

Here is a demo file:
                            http://www.mediafire.com/download/u2kf5am1ai5bdbb/ROWS_Flip.xlsb

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• IP Address as a datatype.

I would love to see IP Addresses added as a format option and functions added for validation of the IP addresses..

For instance InSubnet(Network as IP,Netmask as Integer,address as IP) to determine if an IP is within a Subnet;

Being able to do addition/subtraction on the field would be awesome as well!

218 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Alex, and thanks to those that making their vote heard. This is a pretty interesting ask – take a look at the comment I made. I’d like us to understand a few related things. And as always, please keep voting for the things you care about most.

Cheers,
                                John [MS XL]

• Data validation list sources referring to tables are only dynamic for tables on the same sheet

Data validation still does not support structured references as list sources. Luckily, the non-structured references to table columns update if the column changes size. However, this only occurs if the data validation cell and the table are on the same sheet. This is further incentive, beyond the usual readability issue, for Excel to support structured references in data validation.

You can download a demo file here:
                                http://www.mediafire.com/view/hrz90a8u7kk456p/Data_Validation_Table_Update.xlsb

Posts related to data validation and structured references:
                                https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/9018427-improve-data-validation
                                https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10561302-data-validation-allow-table-references-as-list-s

9 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Default the "Find" "Look in" setting to "Values" NOT "Formulas"

Default the "Find" "Look in" setting to "Values" NOT "Formulas".

This has been annoying me for about 10 years now. How often does anyone want to search for something in the text of a formula rather than the result of that formula? I think I wanted to do this once but have failed to find values numerous times and had to amend this setting manually thousands of times.

10 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Non-unique names in the Name Manager

Go to the Name Manager and click "New". Fill in the "Comment" and "Refers to" sections. Set the Name and Scope to a combination that already exists. Excel will complain and reload the New Name window, erasing everything that you had typed before. This can be quite punishing for such a simple mistake if your formula is long and complicated or if you optimized your comment to fit within the character limit. Excel should instead just return you to the New Name window that you had before.

4 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• mouse double click on fill handle to fill data - keyboard shortcut

Excel has great feature that you double click the little square (fill handle) at the bottom right corner of a cell containing a formula and it will fill down/across the formulas to match the data left/right/above/below to the appropriate number of rows would be nice if there was a keyboard shortcut that was the equivalent of this. I know there's CTRL+D and CTRL+R but you need to first select the cells before you can use these which invariable is a few strokes of combination of CTRL/SHIFT/ArrowKeys.

Also would be nice to be able to use something like CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+ArrowKeys to move…

4 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Protect me from #REF! ambushes

Every so often I delete cells and unbeknownst to me create a bunch of #REF! errors in another part of my worksheet. I may not realize until much later when I can no longer undo back to fix the error. Excel could spare me this. If my deletion is about to create #REF!s it should bring up an alert like "Other cells depend on the cells you are about to delete. Would you like Excel to adjust their formulas to avoid #REF! errors? [Yes][No][Cancel]. [No] would do what it does today. [Cancel] would abort the operation. [Yes] would smartly substitute…

81 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Wrap function: add an option for excel to automatically place a few dots (as in "...contd") just b4 the text becomes invisible due to wrap

When wrap is performed, there's no visible indication that there is more written in a cell than just the visible part (on those rare occasions when the wrap starts at precisely the end of a word and just before the start of a new word).

The suggestion is to add an option to the "wrap" function for the user to be able to select to have a few dots inserted automatically by excel just before the contents of the cell become invisible.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base