Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unlink the Paste Options button from the Auto Fill Options button in Advanced options.

If you do not want to see the Paste Options button when content is pasted, you can disable this option in the Excel Options-> Advanced menu under 'Cut, copy, and paste'. I personally use Paste Options before pasting, so I do not need this menu and find it to be visually obstructive.

However, disabling the Paste menu ALSO disables the Auto Fill Options button. Can this be unlinked so there is an option for both menus separately, or have the text note that the Auto Fill Options menu will also be disabled. I spent a while trying to figure out…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add a paragraph tap to the cell format window

As you open the format cell function, with the paragraph format function (the same that is in word) one can do the following:
    1- Increase / decrease the space before the text.
    2- add bullet points or number points.
    3- adjust the tap position for each cell.
    4- insert a numbering system that can be carried through out the same style in the worksheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Earlier version allowed one to scroll between the tabs of a worksheet. Home and Student 2016 does not.

Earlier version allowed one to scroll between the tabs of a worksheet. Home and Student 2016 does not.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Keyboard short cuts appears to exist, but yeah no!

Basic editing should be able to be completed without opening a menu every time. They look like maybe, but question is that really defining a shortcut? Sorry, just kidding Microsoft say no it's not, should have made it bold text for emphasis.
    Top it with taking away the ability to assign your own shortcuts...Doubled the time to make a custom form for tracking.
    Perhaps should just use Adobe software and draw boxes with the grid showing and then label them.

Previously when you opened a menu either in the menu bar, in the ribbon or with right click, an edit…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Defaults for Inserting and deleting

When we insert something into a cell, it asks if we want to move things left or up - the "default" answer is LEFT .

When we delete something it asks if we want to move things right or down and the default is RIGHT.

In almost all of the inserting or deleting I do I need the opposite of what the default is, which frequently moves things where I don't want them - and I don't realize it until later.

Is there some way we can choose what we want that default to be? This would help a LOT!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. i think you should be alound it if you dont have aacount

i think you should be aloud an aacount if you dont have you and if you dont want one you should be able go use it anyway ......

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. The Find/Replace dialog box should open on the SAME monitor as Excel itself when using multiple monitors.

I've moved the Excel application window to screen 2. Most dialog boxes are good and open in screen 2 also. However, the find/replace box opens in screen 1. I can drag it to screen 2, but next time it opens, it's back in screen 1. This is very frustrating. This happens whether Excel is maximized or not.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ctrl-A to work in find/replace window

This may be an obscure complaint but it annoys the **** out of me almost every time I use the find window!

When I use Ctrl-F to find something, often I'm doing it multiple times in quick succession for different items I am copying from elsewhere.

My expected routine should be:
    Ctrl-C (copy text)
    Ctrl-F (open find window)
    Ctrl-A (select all text in the find text box)
    Ctrl-V (replace text in find text box with copied data)
    Enter

The above would be a lovely left-handed keyboard operation that allows me to keep my right hand on the mouse.

But Ctrl-A…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Search and Replace: differentiate between Ctrl-B and Ctrl-H again

No kidding, as of this week, Ctrl-F (Ctrl-B in swedish) and Ctrl-H do the same thing: the Search and Replace box opens, with the Search tab selected. So it is an extra Alt-R (in my case, swedish E_r_sätt) to get to the Replace tab. What went wrong?
    Please let the two open different tabs again, just like it was before.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Excel should know I do NOT want to draw anything on the graph but should know I'm tapping to bring the cursor up.

I do not use excel to draw, the pen feature should default to a cursor/selector and not the draw tool. I'm not trying to draw in a box

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. automatic cursor movement

Have a great golf league score keeper(excel) but slow because of hitting ENTER after every number given for 18 holes for 120 members takes two people. One to read 3 hole scores at a time while the other one concentrates on keypad to hit correct #key and ENTER.

If possible to add excel suggestion jpeg below would cut the time in half and besides on person with a headset could then use voice command and get done quicker.

Thank You for your time, four people have put together a kick butt spreadsheet that has taken about 4 to 5 years…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Pre-load the mouse with a function or feature to single click apply

To apply a function multiple times to different cells. I want a function that I can pre-load the mouse pointer and then single click to apply that function. A bit like a mouse macro. You could set it to apply formatting or similar then once 'armed' click on the cells to apply one at a time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Auto complete

I like the way Excel offers to auto-complete commonly used descriptions; I think that this facility would add a lot more value if it worked across the whole workbook and not just individual worksheets.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I need more options and control for Excel Headers and Footers

We have our logo as well as a title up in the header on many of our Excel spreadsheets and we'd like more control with editing the headers/footers. Why can't we add more than one picture? Why can't we had shapes? Why can't we have more than 250 characters?
    We also want the header to be visible no matter what view we're in, Normal, Page Break or Page Layout, so we know it's always there, without having to open the Header and Footer tab or going to Print Preview. These features need to work for both the Windows and Mac…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. search and find defaults

when using the search and find, it would be nice if we could keep the 'choices' for future use. this would help with search and replacing for multiple sheets or repeat situations.

thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. allow freeze panes in .ods file format for editing in/through sharepoint please!

allow freeze panes in .ods file format for editing in/through sharepoint please!
    It is so frustrating to lose titles when scrolling down a very long spreadsheet to edit off screen rows. Please add this function!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Keep trailing zeroes when manually entered

Keep trailing zeroes when manually entered.

When doing data entry (particularly for scientific data), knowing the number of digits is important for error analysis. A measured value of 2.3 is not necessarily the same as 2.30.

Please do not change the values that are being input to have truncated zeroes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Filter, arrange in sequence etc., along the Header Row to show/ reorder columns

I am dealing with lot of columns and lot of rows, I have to arrange the columns in ascending order per date. I had to transpose rows and columns arrange them and flip back. Instead if there is a tool to arrange the columns in the way we do for rows, it will be great help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Change default setting for "Fill Down" from "infinity" to "end of entered data"

There are a frequent number of times I need to replace a column of numbers to show 0, and I may have 2000 rows. It's a lot, but it's not infinity. When I select my column's first row and go to the "Fill" pull down and select "Fill down," it just goes to infinity instead of the end of my 2000 or so rows. Why would anyone do that? Why is that default? It doesn't make sense to me. Can we stop the fill down at the end of the entered data row instead of infinity?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base