Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Stop current data currently entered on one sheet being save on a different sheet

Sometimes the data I enter on one spreadsheet shows up on a spreadsheet on another open file. I have lost data when proceeding to type while looking at my fingers instead of at the screen. Sometimes permanently. It's like my ********** fingers selected a different sheet for operation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Improve response time after cell change.

Sometimes I have to exit Excel and reenter in order to be able to continue working. Can't even format the cell I'm working on.
    Related, perhaps: The next typing operation enters data in backward (right-to-left) format. If I don't save every minute or so, I'm likely to lose work. Problem for a year or so, just hard to describe.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Remove 'read-only' default for files on SharePoint

Excel 2016 now opens spreadsheets located on SharePoint in "read-only" mode. This appears to be the default behavior and cannot be disabled. The user must click 'Edit Worksheet' to modify the spreadsheet after opening, and it is proving to be a major headache for users & IT support both. It also prevents applications from updating an existing spreadsheet. We may have to hold off on our Office 2016 roll-out because of this one new "feature".

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Consistent editing behavior

When I edit a spreadsheet and I am pressed for time, I work under the stress imposed by inconsistent Excel behavior. I have to focus one what's important, so, when it comes the time to edit something I just typed, I don't know whether hitting Home would move the cursor to beginning of the line I just typed, or will it zoom to beginning of the row.

Mind you, I exactly know that cause of this behavior, e.g. whether I pressed F2 to edit, it is a new cell, etc. But I cannot memorize these. I have to focus on…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Paste to Non-Contiguous Cells

When I hold the [CTRL] key I can load the clipboard by selecting cells in non-contiguous areas.
    It would be nice to be able to paste to non-contiguous cells also.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Recognise text with hyphon at start of sentence

I often write notes in bullet point form starting with a hyphon. I can't believe that Excel still freaks out, after all these years, and requires me to change the formatting for that cell to "text" instead of "number".

Come on MS, surely Excel should be smart enough by now to know that if a cell starts with a hyphon and then includes lots of letters that it is obviously not a value/number entry.

Even if it can't automatically do it, couldn't a pop-up box appear asking us to confirm switching this to a text formatted cell?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Adding values to add to a cell

Let's say a cell has "550" entered into it. It is formatted as General or some number format. In short, not as Text.

I later want to add "690" to that amount. I hit F2, type "+690" and hit Enter. I now have "550+690". Sadly.

There is no hintin the above to anyone in the world that I wanted "550+690". Clearly I wanted those values added, not treated as Text.

What I propose it that Excel move past Quattro Pro envy (it's been 20 years guys) and recognize the very obvious desire there. When I hit Enter in that example,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. The ability to copy (or paste) all range when copying/pasting from a filtered range

If I use a filter on a column and remove blanks, only listing the cells with data. I then copy a range (visible and hidden cells) and wish to paste this data into a column of blank cells. With this, I keep the data that was filtered on the same row as before.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Format partial text in cell

Something as simple as being able to bold some (not all) of the words in a plain-text cell. Also font color, etc.

This works in offline Excel, and is displayed correctly if loading that offline Excel file and viewing it online.

Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Correct the bug that causes a row to go black when clicking on a cell to edit.

Bug Fix Needed - On every excel document that I created after 9/14/2017 there is a bug that causes a whole row and sometimes whole field to go black when double clicking on a cell to edit it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Добавить запрет редактирования ячеек на одном листе разным пользователям

Есть необходимость чтобы на одном листе работали разные пользователи в режиме общего доступа, при этом чтобы например: Васе был доступен один диапазон ячеек, а Пете другой диапазон, т.е. Пете недоступны для редактирования ячеейки Васи.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Lock Header and Footer

The ability to lock the headers and footers similar to cell locking would be a good feature to implement in Excel. Once the header information is entered only items such as date/time, pagination, file name, etc.. would update

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bugs with new Excel

a office where everyone just updated to the new excel . They said they have 3 new issues with this update. They said when they are normal mode they have no headers ( this one might be normal ) , when they are in page mode they have no colors , and when they add a column and type in letters and hit tab it blacks out the whole row

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. [Power Query] Replace, Move and Rename column in the same action

Hi,
    In Power Query it is already possible to select 2 columns and merge their contain in a single column.
    In the same way, when you perform transformation on a specific column (replace error, replace null, clean few things, ...) it is common to have your transformation column more or less equals to the source column.
    So instead of doing 3 steps: erase the source column, move the transformation column to the previous position of the source column and rename the transformation column with the name of the source column), I would like to select the source column first and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Possibility to copy and filter without having "Enable Editing" on

In my work i use many excels where i gather information from and analyze the data. It would great to be able to use the filters and to copy grafs and text withoug klicking the "enable editing". In many cases there are also other people using the same data and now we can use it one at a time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Please add a feature to automatically fill blank cells using data in cell above

We have columns with values in certain cells with blank cells in between. Especially when entries as side headings are made. We cannot use this type of entries for sorting or filtering. A feature should be available to autofill these empty spaces

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. for Autosave button must be basic in office can be use localy and i ondrive it is protect data becouse it save automatatically

for Autosave button must be basic in office can be use localy and i ondrive it is protect data becouse it save automatatically

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow "Find" & "Replace" to "Look In" Hyperlinks

If the website changes it's links, or (in my case) if reusing a template that needs to have the tabs renamed, all of the hyperlinks will need to be changed. Sure would be great to be able to use Find & Replace for this :/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Separate the fill handle drag and drop from double click border to go to beginning or end

I love the fill handle drag and drop tool. It is amazingly useful and versatile. However, one feature of it does nothing but cause me trouble, and that is double-clicking the boarder to go to the beginning or end of the column. I am working with hundreds of lines of data and when I try to double click a cell to edit the contents, I accidentally double-click the border and it takes me to to the top or bottom of the column I'm working on. Then I have to hope I can find the row I was working on before.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base