Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Row light up

When we are entering maybe 50 independent marks of a student in a row, could we have that row light up while we are working on it..so that we do not accidently stray away from that row?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow temporarily broken formulas

I have a long list of formulas, and want to nest every formula within another if statement. Using find and replace to replace the beginning and end of every formula (the parts that don't differ between each one), this should be very easy. However, excel won't let me change a single one because, when I try to replace the text, "the formula is missing an opening or closing parenthesis."

I can appreciate having error checking for formulas, but there should be SOME way to either bypass this error checking or turn it off! This is frustrating me to no end.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Why do data Filter dates now break down to years, months, dates? Why not unfuck_your_fucking cut & paste function? FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

Why do data Filter dates now break down to years, months, dates? Why not unfuckyourfucking cut & paste function? FUCKYOUMICROSOFT.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. why do the interface command button look so ******* juvenile and stupid?

why do the interface command button look so ******* juvenile and stupid?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Editing directly in cells should not hide cells to the left of the cell I am working on.

Excel had this right for three decades, but the recent Excel 365 upgrade (version 1902) broke it. Most people develop spreadsheets working top to bottom and left to right. This means that when we write a new formula, we usually want to reference cells to the left of the cell we are working on. Since the 8/2019 patch, the edit-directly-in-cell box is left aligned or right aligned depending on the format of the cell. So the edit mode box often hides the cells I am trying to reference when those cells are to the left. This means that I cannot…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make it easier to play with values in a sheet by controlling a value with e.g. a slider

I want to see what happens with calculated values in my sheet when I change a source value. However, playing with this value needs to be easy and fast, e.g. using a slider control or +/- buttons connected to it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Please add a padlock icon on the sheet tab for worksheets that are Protected.

The padlock icon already exists for worksheet tabs on Excel Online, and it is very helpful for quickly assessing which tabs are locked in large files. Please consider adding this functionality to Excel (desktop).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Transpose cut cells

When you cut a group of cells, there is no option to transpose that data. Instead the only way to transpose data is to copy, transpose and then go back and delete the old cells.

This would be great!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. select between objects

in charts the objects are difficult to select once there are several in the same area, say a trend line and data points and data labels. If you are in an area with several objects, pop up a selection box with all the close-by objects so you can pick the one you want to select.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. shortcut key for selected cell to fill last used color

Pressing the fill color should fill the cell according to the last color used just like on Windows - Required shortcut key to improve my performance while working on Excel. Just pressing shortcut key - the fill color should fill the cell according to the last color used. In MS Excel it is necessary each time to choose the color required to use mouse.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. F1

Please allow us to disable the F1 key in the settings. There are several published workarounds for this; an indication of how many users would like to disable this hotkey.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. justify

make justify like in Word; justify, justify low, justify medium, justify high...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Stop Excel deciding when a workbook ca

When I have created a workbook on my iMac computer I would like to edit it on my iPad but I always get the message this file is being used by someone else or the message "Read only" and it says I have locked this file whereas I never locked it and do not want it to be locked

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. EXCEL 365, HOME; WINDOWS 10 PRO x 64 - VERTICAL DOCKABILITY OF VBA EDITOR WINDOWS WINDOWS>

<EXCEL 365, HOME; WINDOWS 10 PRO x 64 - VERTICAL DOCKABILITY OF VBA WINDOWS>
    Please re establish vertical edge dockability for VBA editor windows in EXCEL 365. This kind of the windows dockability users had in previous versions of EXCEL which provided the better VBA programming efficiency.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Excel clears content of clipboard too quickly on copy/paste operation.

Do not clear Excel's clipboard with every interim action during copy/paste operation. For example: 1) If I copy a cell's value and go to a table or pivot-table, clear a filter and then try to paste a value into the filter, the clipboard is empty. 2) If I copy a value from a cell and try to paste it when editing a query, the clipboard is empty. This costs me time and peace of mind up to a hundred times a day.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. HEY FUCKACES AT MICROSOFT- I DONT NEED YOU TO ADD 17 DECIMAL places then expand a column whenever I do a calculation. FUCK_YOU.

HEY FUCKACES AT MICROSOFT- I DONT NEED YOU TO ADD 17 DECIMAL places then expand a column whenever I do a calculation. FUCK_YOU.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Have command line to disable Excel's clipboard

Please put a command line switch to force Excel to use the system clipboard OR, for that matter, the rest of Microsoft Office's clipboard. We use Excel to setup powershell commands for various items. Which, we can not trust what it is copying/pasting with Excel since around Office 97 (maybe).

Since some people DO find Excel's copy/paste current functionality, I propose that a command line switch be used to force Excel to use the system clipboard. OR, at the very least, the clipboard the rest of the MS Office products use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Stop excel crashes when cut and pasting between tabs

Stop excel from crashing when cut and pasting between tabs

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Suggetion for Translate << Review Tab

Please provide the functionality of insert in Translate Option in Review Tab. The similar functionality is already there in MS word but not in MS Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base