Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to deselect cells with ctrl+click in Office 2016

How is it possible that this was "accidentally enabled" in Office 2016 and now they turned it off? How is it not a basic function already?
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel/Unable-to-deselect-in-excel/m-p/363008/highlight/true#M26886

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Version history of a file should be saved without the need of

Version history of a file should be saved without the need of exit the file, each time you want to keep a separate version.

File history without needing to save several versions as _1, _2 _3 or whatever, is great. However, to make the versions "stick" or be saved, without being overrun by the next "ctrl+S", we need to exit the file and open it again. (I am NOT in favour of aout-save, that saves without my control, so I personally have turned of that function.

It would be nice if the separate versions were saved just by "ctrl+S", not…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel sheet Split cell

Split cell feature to be incorporated simillar to word

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. I use Office 365 Home. I am unable to see the feature of TRack Changes

I use Office 365 Home. I am unable to see the feature of TRack Changes
    My account is ganapathy_mk@hotmail.com

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. undo by cell

Have a way to undo the last thing that was done to a specific cell, without having to undo everything that has been done since that. I have a workaround, but it is a bit involved.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Function to protect the entire workbook from edit/save but not from editing only.

This function would allow you to edit/sort/compute/highlight anything normally but would prevent you from accidentally saving (or autosaving) unless you specifically disabled the function first.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. move rows

Make moving rows more like Google Sheets. It is a lot easier in Sheets. I can click and hold the row and move it to another spot between 2 others.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Please provide a user option to use Edit Mode by default instead of Navigation/Point Mode when editing cell contents and formulas.

Please provide a user option to use Edit Mode by default instead of Navigation/Point Mode when editing cell contents and formulas. This should apply to any place where cell contents, formulas, and paths are entered, such as cells, formula bar, conditional formatting formulas, pivot-table location/path, pivot-table wizard, named range manager, etc. When editing such contents, I never need navigation/point mode and always have to switch (F2) to edit mode. If I forget to switch (because point mode is so non-intuitive), I have to undo or just start over.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. insert mutiple blank rows/columns with once command

please provide an option to insert more than one row or column when inserting

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Find invalid data

There is an option to Circle Invalid Data in Data Validation, but no easy way to find the invalid data if, say, you have thousands of data entries, possibly in multiple columns, but only a handful of invalid entries.

You can find all cells with data validation, but not just those cells with invalid data. (It can be done with VBA but it would be better if Excel had this functionality.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. bekr

it should be deleted

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. UPPER CASE FOR ALL ,LOWER CASE FOR ALL,UPPER CASE OF EVERY LETTER IN A SENTENCE AND UPPER CASE OF JUST FIRST LETTER OF EVERY WORD IN A SENT.

UPPER CASE FOR ALL ,LOWER CASE FOR ALL,UPPER CASE OF EVERY LETTER IN A SENTENCE AND UPPER CASE OF JUST FIRST LETTER OF EVERY WORD IN A SENTENCE.

Will be helpful if you can help me with this?!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. hi

add button clear conditonal formating in editing group

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Auto Advance

When scanning numbers into Excel with a hand scanner - it would be nice to have an auto advance either right or down a cell. This could be accomplished with a simple checkbox tic to turn on or off Auto Advance.. So when a series of numbers are scanned into a cell, there would be an option to Auto Advance either down 1 on the column or right one row. Or there could be a more advanced option box - to have auto advance for a certain number say down 2 and right 1 as an example. Also an option…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Notification to other users of a file.

Have an option to notify the user who has a file open that another user wants to edit the file; not just a notify button for yourself to be informed when the file is closed by the other user.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Evaluate Formula - Show Named Range Reference Value

While Evaluating Formula, a Named Range shows only it's result value. Instead, first show the Reference value (e.g. A1:A10) that the Named Range refers to.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Show Named Range Refer's To Values

While editing a formula containing a Named Range, use a tooltip to display the Named Range's "Refers To" value.

As of now, Excel only shows the Named Range's, "Refers To" value in the name manager.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Clear persistent Excel copy highlighting if trying to paste from another application

The current Excel copy/paste behavior is acceptable (not great, but I can live with it) when within Excel. But it gets really annoying when working between Excel and another application. If I copy something out of Excel to paste in application 2, then copy something from application 2 to paste back in Excel, it is utterly maddening that the paste is blocked because the data I copied from Excel is still highlighted and overriding the Windows clipboard. And if I press Esc to clear the highlight, I still can't paste from application 2 because now there's nothing in the Windows…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Tab & Enter to move between cells

Allow user to set this to different keys e.g. arrow keys (previously default setting).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base