Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Go to special" - select every nth row/column

As some data sets may have dimensional data with 2 or more rows/columns of information for each major row/column, it would be handy for quick editing to be able to select every nth row or column for extracting or removing irrelevant information.

E.G. I have a table with Two columns of information for each quarterly period - the first of which is sales data (that I need to use) and the second column is just made up of indicators to footnotes (that I don't need and want to remove. This would also be practical for tables with blank rows/columns between…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Version history of a file should be saved without the need of

Version history of a file should be saved without the need of exit the file, each time you want to keep a separate version.

File history without needing to save several versions as _1, _2 _3 or whatever, is great. However, to make the versions "stick" or be saved, without being overrun by the next "ctrl+S", we need to exit the file and open it again. (I am NOT in favour of aout-save, that saves without my control, so I personally have turned of that function.

It would be nice if the separate versions were saved just by "ctrl+S", not…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. FROM MANY PC ONE EXCEL CAN BE MAINTAIN

One Excel can be operated from multiple desktop operator

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Afficher nom de fichier, d'onglet, nombre et numéro de page tels qu'édités dans les hauts et bas de page

Afficher et imprimer noms de fichier, d'onglet, date, nombre et numéro de page tels qu'édités sur versions Windows/Mac dans les hauts et bas de page

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Protect Workbook-scoped names against edits when the workbook is protected

The Protect Workbook button in the Review tab is great for preventing the addition/deletion/renaming of sheets and the modification of Power Query queries. This protection should also apply to names (in the Name Manager) with the "Workbook" scope, similar to how names with a sheet scope cannot be edited when that sheet is protected.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Filling series for a cell containing "m³" leads to strange results

If you have a cell that contains "m³" (without quotes) and you use the fill handle to fill cells below or to the right, you will get "m132", "m133", etc. Similarly, if you fill cells above or to the left, you will get "m130", "m129", etc. "m³" acts as if its value is "m131", which is clearly incorrect behaviour.

There are probably many other examples where filling series acts weird. Please fix this. There are 2 acceptable solutions. One is to simply copy "m³" to the destination cells. The other is to treat the "³" like "3" and assume the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add 64-bit Unix time as a data type

Excel currently represents dates, times, and datetimes as double-precision floating-point numbers that store the number of days since a particular date. This has many problems:

• The user will encounter precision issues when they deal with times and datetimes. This issue only gets worse for datetimes over time as a greater number of the limited significant digits are required for storing the date, leaving fewer digits for the time. The precision issues require users to set up their equality tests with a tolerance in mind and generate their timestamps in a numerically stable way. This is too much detail for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Without Question, the #1 Problem in Excel is deleting unused rows at the bottom

Just allow us to bring up a window and select the row number to start deleting all the way to the bottom. When you copy to columns, 1.04 million rows get created. And it literally takes HOURS at the fastest scrolling (25% view) to get rid of these. Look in the searches lots and lots of people complain about this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Copy/Cut equation images to handwriting box equation editor

It would be perfect if you included a copy / paste icon from memory inside the equation handwriting box.
    Or a simple 'image capture' button from other documents / images into this box for Excel to interpret and translate into an alphanumeric equation as it already does but only for handwriting with a mouse (difficult and time consuming) which is only useful for creating new user equations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Find invalid data

There is an option to Circle Invalid Data in Data Validation, but no easy way to find the invalid data if, say, you have thousands of data entries, possibly in multiple columns, but only a handful of invalid entries.

You can find all cells with data validation, but not just those cells with invalid data. (It can be done with VBA but it would be better if Excel had this functionality.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Delete key behavior differs from context menu delete option

I have some data I need to remove every other row from, so I am selecting the entire row and right-clicking to delete it. I can do this task an order of magnitude faster with a keyboard shortcut, which is unintuitively not the Delete key as the label suggests in the context menu (nor does it indicate there is any other keyboard shortcut), as the Delete key only deletes the contents of the row rather than the row itself.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. new feature

add a voice option In excel like if someone want to do sum he has to speak only sum a1 to a8 and result comes out. and all other function in excel if someone want to use by voice command excel must have to do it. excel is already advance now its times to excel must become extra advance excel by this feature.
    thanks team excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add append and prepend options to find the find and replace dialogue box.

Right now the only way of appending or prepending something to cell contents is to use a concat function which can be a hassle depending on the contents.

Alternatively adding full regex functionality to the search/find and replace function would be even better!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Always Expand the Outline group (Data tab) to full size and Always Collapse the Get and Data Types groups on the ribbon

Always Expand the Outline group (Data tab) to full size and Always Collapse the Get and Data Types groups on the ribbon. I've moved these last two useless groups to the end of the ribbon and would turn them off if I could. I constantly need to use the Outline group and when it is constantly collapsed, I'd rather be using the more expedient Excel 2004 menus.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Always Expand the Outline group (Data tab) to full size and Always Collapse the Get and Data Types groups on the ribbon

Always Expand the Outline group (Data tab) to full size and Always Collapse the Get and Data Types groups on the ribbon. I've moved these last two useless groups to the end of the ribbon and would turn them off if I could. I constantly need to use the Outline group and when it is constantly collapsed, I'd rather be using the more expedient Excel 2004 menus.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to auto spell check in excel or ability to use F7 when sheets are protected

Simply be able to have an automatic spell check or be able to use F7 to spell check in cells that are not locked/protected

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. "Ctrl+A" shortcut in the excel formula bar

Hi there!
    It would be a great help for my work if "Ctrl+A" shortcut was working in the excel formula bar.
    Thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. there should be an option to PERMANENTLY TURN OFF AUTOSAVE. BAD for my busn and many others. s/b optional.

AUTOSAVE
    there should be an option to PERMANENTLY TURN OFF AUTOSAVE. BAD for my busn and many others. s/b optional.
    appreciate MS coming up with new ideas and safeties, but SOME of us, ME INCLUDED, wanna make our OWN decisions of what changes to a file we wanna save, and what we don't. MS is changing my file auto, and a huge pain for me. many times i don't have time to fix at the moment, and I'M STUCK with changes i don't want.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Paste Special External Values

Allow to paste all formulas linked to external workbooks as values. But not affect the local formulas. Essentially to archive and not worry about external linked data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base