Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Watermark in Excel workbook

Idea of insertion/ removal of Watermark in the excel sheet like in word is likely for some creative work

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Leave the f'ing leading zeros!!

If my data has leading zeros, then I want leading zeros!.... How is that so hard to understand!?!... Make truncating leading zeros an optional setting, not the default.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow temporarily broken formulas

I have a long list of formulas, and want to nest every formula within another if statement. Using find and replace to replace the beginning and end of every formula (the parts that don't differ between each one), this should be very easy. However, excel won't let me change a single one because, when I try to replace the text, "the formula is missing an opening or closing parenthesis."

I can appreciate having error checking for formulas, but there should be SOME way to either bypass this error checking or turn it off! This is frustrating me to no end.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Default Note Size and Shortcut Keys for Resizing Note and Note Panel

The note shows up too small. I would like a much larger default note size. I see no way to set a default size.

Along the same lines, I would like to be able to resize the note with the keyboard. Resizing with the mouse is tricky and time consuming.

Somewhat related, I would like the option of not having the user's name at the start of the note. I do no share the workbook and putting my name at the start of each note takes up space or requires delection.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Excel clears content of clipboard too quickly on copy/paste operation.

Do not clear Excel's clipboard with every interim action during copy/paste operation. For example: 1) If I copy a cell's value and go to a table or pivot-table, clear a filter and then try to paste a value into the filter, the clipboard is empty. 2) If I copy a value from a cell and try to paste it when editing a query, the clipboard is empty. This costs me time and peace of mind up to a hundred times a day.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow formulas to be formatted and editted like code in the formula dialog box

When writing complex formulas, it is very difficult to troubleshoot errors with in-line formats and although I can 'simulate' writing the formula like code in the formula dialog box, it is very cumbersome as it doesn't treat 'enter' as a next line and 'tab' as a tab. Also, when using this format in the current version, selecting a formula part and clicking on the fx doesn't show the values, only blanks. A sample is attached showing the format. Would it be possible to setup the formula dialog box to support a more coding IDE model?

=IFERROR(
    SUMIFS(
    tblBS[Avg],
    tblBS[Month],
    [@Month] …

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow an easy way to shrink the sheet to the area with values

Doing various actions in excel - for example, using the bar on top to paste a formula - will often increase the size of the sheet to way beyond what was intended. There should be a button that would shrink the sheet to the largest area with values (or formulas that refer to values) - or alternatively, specify an area to be preserved with the rest eliminated entirely, so that the space on disk is reasonable.

What people do in practice is to copy the sheet area to a new sheet. This is a bit of a kludge.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. A way to insert lines or columns

There is no current easy/quick way or symbol to push or no entry in the :Help symbol whereby one can enter a new line or column on the chart you are working with

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. How to start Excel

I want to type the Invoice in Excel sheet. It's not allowing to type. what to do???

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Row light up

When we are entering maybe 50 independent marks of a student in a row, could we have that row light up while we are working on it..so that we do not accidently stray away from that row?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Editing directly in cells should not hide cells to the left of the cell I am working on.

Excel had this right for three decades, but the recent Excel 365 upgrade (version 1902) broke it. Most people develop spreadsheets working top to bottom and left to right. This means that when we write a new formula, we usually want to reference cells to the left of the cell we are working on. Since the 8/2019 patch, the edit-directly-in-cell box is left aligned or right aligned depending on the format of the cell. So the edit mode box often hides the cells I am trying to reference when those cells are to the left. This means that I cannot…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel would be great if it added the "Change Case" drop down menue from Word to Excel

By adding Word's "Change Case" options to Excel it would improve Excel's editing abilities and increase customer productivity adding value to the Excel product

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. wow you redesigned all the menue screen in the drawing tools. Go_FUCK_YOURSELVES MICROSOFT. WHY DON'T YOU UNFUCK CUT AND PASTE INSTEAD?

wow you redesigned all the mene screen in the drawing tools. Go_FUCK_YOURSELVES MICROSOFT. WHY DON'T YOU UNFUCK CUT AND PASTE INSTEAD?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Copy Sheet option for more than one

From the current excel, we can't copy more than one sheet. Currently we have to do one by one or VB script to do that. Please add copy sheet option with the user input numbers & sheet format option (which formatted sheet should we want to copy and create multiple times).
    And Add sheet option, please include the same.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel's Evaluate Formula could benefit from undoing calculations (going backwards)

The Evaluate Formula feature is great but could benefit by being able to go backwards in the calculation as well as going forward. Many times I've had to start over multiple times just to fully capture what is happening during a complex formula that could have been MUCH easier if I could step back one or more calculations instead of stepping all the way through or starting over.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. "Go to special" - select every nth row/column

As some data sets may have dimensional data with 2 or more rows/columns of information for each major row/column, it would be handy for quick editing to be able to select every nth row or column for extracting or removing irrelevant information.

E.G. I have a table with Two columns of information for each quarterly period - the first of which is sales data (that I need to use) and the second column is just made up of indicators to footnotes (that I don't need and want to remove. This would also be practical for tables with blank rows/columns between…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Version history of a file should be saved without the need of

Version history of a file should be saved without the need of exit the file, each time you want to keep a separate version.

File history without needing to save several versions as _1, _2 _3 or whatever, is great. However, to make the versions "stick" or be saved, without being overrun by the next "ctrl+S", we need to exit the file and open it again. (I am NOT in favour of aout-save, that saves without my control, so I personally have turned of that function.

It would be nice if the separate versions were saved just by "ctrl+S", not…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Afficher nom de fichier, d'onglet, nombre et numéro de page tels qu'édités dans les hauts et bas de page

Afficher et imprimer noms de fichier, d'onglet, date, nombre et numéro de page tels qu'édités sur versions Windows/Mac dans les hauts et bas de page

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Without Question, the #1 Problem in Excel is deleting unused rows at the bottom

Just allow us to bring up a window and select the row number to start deleting all the way to the bottom. When you copy to columns, 1.04 million rows get created. And it literally takes HOURS at the fastest scrolling (25% view) to get rid of these. Look in the searches lots and lots of people complain about this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 32 33
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base