Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Watermark in Excel workbook

Idea of insertion/ removal of Watermark in the excel sheet like in word is likely for some creative work

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow formulas to be formatted and editted like code in the formula dialog box

When writing complex formulas, it is very difficult to troubleshoot errors with in-line formats and although I can 'simulate' writing the formula like code in the formula dialog box, it is very cumbersome as it doesn't treat 'enter' as a next line and 'tab' as a tab. Also, when using this format in the current version, selecting a formula part and clicking on the fx doesn't show the values, only blanks. A sample is attached showing the format. Would it be possible to setup the formula dialog box to support a more coding IDE model?

=IFERROR(
    SUMIFS(
    tblBS[Avg],
    tblBS[Month],
    [@Month] …

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow temporarily broken formulas

I have a long list of formulas, and want to nest every formula within another if statement. Using find and replace to replace the beginning and end of every formula (the parts that don't differ between each one), this should be very easy. However, excel won't let me change a single one because, when I try to replace the text, "the formula is missing an opening or closing parenthesis."

I can appreciate having error checking for formulas, but there should be SOME way to either bypass this error checking or turn it off! This is frustrating me to no end.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel would be great if it added the "Change Case" drop down menue from Word to Excel

By adding Word's "Change Case" options to Excel it would improve Excel's editing abilities and increase customer productivity adding value to the Excel product

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add append and prepend options to find the find and replace dialogue box.

Right now the only way of appending or prepending something to cell contents is to use a concat function which can be a hassle depending on the contents.

Alternatively adding full regex functionality to the search/find and replace function would be even better!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Selected Cells To Name Manager Filter

When opening the name manager, add a Filter option to show "Selected Cells". This filter would then show only the names associated with any selected cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enable Named Range Re-Naming In Named Range Dropdown

When I mistakenly enter a new range name in the Range Name drop down, I cannot edit this range name until going into the Name Manager. Provide ability to overwrite the existing range name, in the same maner as when entering a new range name.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Insert copied non-adjacent cells

When selecting adjacent cells for copying, you can select "insert copied cells" at the pasting destination so that the cells below the destination are moved down and not pasted over, I want to be able to do this when selecting NON-adjacent cells and copying to a single column, I noticed when pasting to the destination with NON-adjacent cells the option to "insert copied cells" does not appear, this leaves me no other option than to count out how many new rows I need each time, manually insert them into the column, and then copy & paste, this is extremely frustrating…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make the project references dialog box big enough or scroll so we can see the full path and file name of the reference.

Make the project references dialog box big enough (or scroll) so we can see the full path and file name of the reference. The current dialog box isn't big enough to see the full reference to the path and file name of the file referenced.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to deselect cells with ctrl+click in Office 2016

How is it possible that this was "accidentally enabled" in Office 2016 and now they turned it off? How is it not a basic function already?
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel/Unable-to-deselect-in-excel/m-p/363008/highlight/true#M26886

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. "Ctrl+A" shortcut in the excel formula bar

Hi there!
    It would be a great help for my work if "Ctrl+A" shortcut was working in the excel formula bar.
    Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I want to insert many rows

I wish that there's an field to input how many rows or columns I want to insert right in Insert popover. I tired of inputting one by one row =))) Thank you!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel's Evaluate Formula could benefit from undoing calculations (going backwards)

The Evaluate Formula feature is great but could benefit by being able to go backwards in the calculation as well as going forward. Many times I've had to start over multiple times just to fully capture what is happening during a complex formula that could have been MUCH easier if I could step back one or more calculations instead of stepping all the way through or starting over.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. insert mutiple blank rows/columns with once command

please provide an option to insert more than one row or column when inserting

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. UPPER CASE FOR ALL ,LOWER CASE FOR ALL,UPPER CASE OF EVERY LETTER IN A SENTENCE AND UPPER CASE OF JUST FIRST LETTER OF EVERY WORD IN A SENT.

UPPER CASE FOR ALL ,LOWER CASE FOR ALL,UPPER CASE OF EVERY LETTER IN A SENTENCE AND UPPER CASE OF JUST FIRST LETTER OF EVERY WORD IN A SENTENCE.

Will be helpful if you can help me with this?!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Notification to other users of a file.

Have an option to notify the user who has a file open that another user wants to edit the file; not just a notify button for yourself to be informed when the file is closed by the other user.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Find Named Ranges in the Name Box easier.

I have many workbooks, in which I use Named Ranges which do not list alphabetically, which makes finding names ranges in long list difficult to find. Please add an option to Sort, by Sheet and by A-Z

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. How about a function to enable data to be swapped from one cell to another, eg if you want to move an item up a list to another cell and hav

A function to allow you to swap data from one to another, eg when constructing a list of priorities, if you have data in a cell that you want to move up a list to a cell that already has data in it then that data should have an option move to the cell that was just vacated. This would help when prioritising cell contents without the need for inserting cells, cutting & pasting and remembering what you have pasted over when cutting cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. undo by cell

Have a way to undo the last thing that was done to a specific cell, without having to undo everything that has been done since that. I have a workaround, but it is a bit involved.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Set default to Copy - paste visible only, opt into paste hidden

Set default to Copy - paste visible only, opt into paste hidden
    The Default setting should be able to be set for visible only with paste special being for hidden.

Really annoying when working with filtered lists and pasting on everything hidden and not knowing / forgetting.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base