Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Leave the f'ing leading zeros!!

If my data has leading zeros, then I want leading zeros!.... How is that so hard to understand!?!... Make truncating leading zeros an optional setting, not the default.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. STILL HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHEN COPYING IN EXCEL. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT. UNFUCK_YOUR_CRAPWARE

STILL HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHEN COPYING IN EXCEL. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT. UNFUCK_YOUR_CRAPWARE

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Watermark in Excel workbook

Idea of insertion/ removal of Watermark in the excel sheet like in word is likely for some creative work

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Bring back F3 = Find Next

Even in Windows F3 means "Search". Why in Excel and Word this useful key does not work anymore?

It looks like now it is Shift+F4. My fingers will get arthritis from pressing this combination all day.

Also I suppose to be able to change the hotkey but now the Keyboard Shortcut option in the "Customize Ribbon" has disappeared.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Double Click or F2 Cells in a Protected Workbook - see the cells used in a formula

Please allow users to double click a formula in a protected workbook to see which cells are pulled into the formula. I still want to know how the formula is working even though I can't change it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Protect Workbook-scoped names against edits when the workbook is protected

The Protect Workbook button in the Review tab is great for preventing the addition/deletion/renaming of sheets and the modification of Power Query queries. This protection should also apply to names (in the Name Manager) with the "Workbook" scope, similar to how names with a sheet scope cannot be edited when that sheet is protected.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Filling series for a cell containing "m³" leads to strange results

If you have a cell that contains "m³" (without quotes) and you use the fill handle to fill cells below or to the right, you will get "m132", "m133", etc. Similarly, if you fill cells above or to the left, you will get "m130", "m129", etc. "m³" acts as if its value is "m131", which is clearly incorrect behaviour.

There are probably many other examples where filling series acts weird. Please fix this. There are 2 acceptable solutions. One is to simply copy "m³" to the destination cells. The other is to treat the "³" like "3" and assume the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add 64-bit Unix time as a data type

Excel currently represents dates, times, and datetimes as double-precision floating-point numbers that store the number of days since a particular date. This has many problems:

• The user will encounter precision issues when they deal with times and datetimes. This issue only gets worse for datetimes over time as a greater number of the limited significant digits are required for storing the date, leaving fewer digits for the time. The precision issues require users to set up their equality tests with a tolerance in mind and generate their timestamps in a numerically stable way. This is too much detail for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Row light up

When we are entering maybe 50 independent marks of a student in a row, could we have that row light up while we are working on it..so that we do not accidently stray away from that row?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow temporarily broken formulas

I have a long list of formulas, and want to nest every formula within another if statement. Using find and replace to replace the beginning and end of every formula (the parts that don't differ between each one), this should be very easy. However, excel won't let me change a single one because, when I try to replace the text, "the formula is missing an opening or closing parenthesis."

I can appreciate having error checking for formulas, but there should be SOME way to either bypass this error checking or turn it off! This is frustrating me to no end.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. why do the interface command button look so ******* juvenile and stupid?

why do the interface command button look so ******* juvenile and stupid?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Editing directly in cells should not hide cells to the left of the cell I am working on.

Excel had this right for three decades, but the recent Excel 365 upgrade (version 1902) broke it. Most people develop spreadsheets working top to bottom and left to right. This means that when we write a new formula, we usually want to reference cells to the left of the cell we are working on. Since the 8/2019 patch, the edit-directly-in-cell box is left aligned or right aligned depending on the format of the cell. So the edit mode box often hides the cells I am trying to reference when those cells are to the left. This means that I cannot…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. STILL HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHEN COPYING AND PASTING IN EXCEL. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT. FIX iT.

STILL HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHEN COPYING AND PASTING IN EXCEL. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT. FIX iT.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make it easier to play with values in a sheet by controlling a value with e.g. a slider

I want to see what happens with calculated values in my sheet when I change a source value. However, playing with this value needs to be easy and fast, e.g. using a slider control or +/- buttons connected to it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please add a padlock icon on the sheet tab for worksheets that are Protected.

The padlock icon already exists for worksheet tabs on Excel Online, and it is very helpful for quickly assessing which tabs are locked in large files. Please consider adding this functionality to Excel (desktop).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Default Note Size and Shortcut Keys for Resizing Note and Note Panel

The note shows up too small. I would like a much larger default note size. I see no way to set a default size.

Along the same lines, I would like to be able to resize the note with the keyboard. Resizing with the mouse is tricky and time consuming.

Somewhat related, I would like the option of not having the user's name at the start of the note. I do no share the workbook and putting my name at the start of each note takes up space or requires delection.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel clears content of clipboard too quickly on copy/paste operation.

Do not clear Excel's clipboard with every interim action during copy/paste operation. For example: 1) If I copy a cell's value and go to a table or pivot-table, clear a filter and then try to paste a value into the filter, the clipboard is empty. 2) If I copy a value from a cell and try to paste it when editing a query, the clipboard is empty. This costs me time and peace of mind up to a hundred times a day.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Suggetion for Translate << Review Tab

Please provide the functionality of insert in Translate Option in Review Tab. The similar functionality is already there in MS word but not in MS Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. for 20 years I have asked repeatedly: Offer a lock for custom sort!

For 25 years I have asked repeatedly: Offer a lock for custom sort!

I have one particular spread sheet where I sort one way 99% of the time: Column E then column B. I just upgraded office 2010 to 2019 (and windows 7 to 10) and is it fixed? NO! The first two times I used it I had to start the custom sort fresh.

Every tech I have asked about this says the same thing: "It's supposed to default back to the last custom sort you used."

WELL, IT DOESN'T!!!

I want to lock a custom sort to a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Stop scrolling to the bottom of the current sheet when I double click a cell

I dislike the automatic scrolling to the bottom of the sheet when I double click a cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base