Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Print preview on Help windows to select page(s) to be printed; also include the ability to adjust the margins

If we could see what we are printing before clicking the Ok button, we won't be surprise for a 10 pages printout when it would have been only 6 pages (we would have changed the fonts size). Printing materials from the Help windows for easier access on a later day when needed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow multiple page ranges to be selected in the print dialog

Older versions of Excel and the current version of word all have a single box for for defining a print range, and allow for a page set like "1-3, 7 10-12" to be printed easily. Excel has two boxes, allowing only a single range to be printed at a time. I frequently print assorted pages from spreadsheets, and have to open each resultant file in a pdf application and delete the unneeded sheets, especially if I'm printing or emailing the file.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Option to Permanently Disable Displaying Page Breaks

For some reason, Page Breaks just annoy my eyes and serve as a distraction when I am working in a spreadsheet. I would love for there to be a setting in the Options to disable them so I don't have to hassle with toggling them off every time they appear.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. be able to print an entire workbook instead of just 1 page at a time

I do budgets one year at a time. one month per page/sheet. i'd like to print out an entire year (12 pages) without having to print one page/sheet at a time.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. header and footer like Word

And more than 255 characters.
    Thanks.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Copy & Paste Page Setup (print area, margins, scale, etc)

I'd like to be able to copy/paste the entire Page Setup from one tab to multiple others. Currently, I have to set the print area tab by tab. Then add in the page setup separately.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. prevent merged cells from splitting when printing

When you print a document in excel, have the option to prevent merged cells from splitting across pages (automatic feature, not by manually adjusting page breaks).

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make Excel Print exactly as shown on screen.

When text is included in an Excel spreadsheet, the printout can differ radically from the view on screen. Lines that fitted within a cell are suddenly too long, causing words to drop down and lines to disappear. Even if the layout is perfect on screen and in print preview, the hard copy version goes awry. This was a problem in Office 2003 and Office 2010 and now it's happening in Office 2013. Please fix it.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Rows to repeat at the Bottom

In the Page Setup for printing, allow for a series of rows that can be printed at the bottom of each printed page. Similar to the "Rows to repeat at the top" under "Print Titles".

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make print preview open on the page currently being edited, not the start of the file

There are serious (and ancient!) bugs in Excel that cause the final hard copy to differ considerably from the on-screen editing view. To ensure that all cell content is visible in the final copy, I have to open print preview frequently to find and correct layout problems. In Word, print preview opens on the page currently being edited, but in Excel it opens on page 1 of multi-page documents, so I have to search down to the current editing location. Excel's print preview should also open on the current page. Also, it should be possible to scroll through print preview…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. its a complaint

Under page layout there are two headings, grid lines and headings. It seem to default to print headings. if one deletes the tick box and then ticks the grid line print box and save the sheet. when re opening the sheet it has automatically defaulted back to print the heading instead of the grid lines. how does one resolve this issue

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Image get distorted when copy sheet from workbook to another

I have two Excel files (file1.xlsx and file2.xlsx, one file could be the copy of the other)

In these files I have 1 sheet with an embedded image.

If I copy the sheet of file1.xlsx in to file2.xlsx, the image of imported sheet seems ok but when I print (or in print preview) it is distorted.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fix print of indented cells when printing as multicolumn sheet

When using indents on cells (i.e. implementing hierarchy), when printed, excel loses WYSIWYG, the print out or print preview distorts the indent width ratio to the font size. So the more the cells become smaller, the indention width becomes larger.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Printing margins

When I try to move margins in previewe windows excel crashes. No way to fix it, tried everything I've found on the web.
    Attached the file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. verzerrt

Ein als Kreis eingefügtes Objetkt von 10 cm Durchmesser wird zu Ellipse von 10,5 cm Breite und 9,5 cm Höhe,
    Differenz also 10 %, gleiches mit einem Quadrat von 10 x 10 auf Breite 10,5 x Höhe 9,5 cm.
    Im gleichen Verhältnis werden auch Texte (Buchstaben und Zahlen) breiter gezogen und von der Höhe gestaucht, auch Logos und Fotos...
    Auf dem Tabellenblatt ist alles noch 100%ig richtig, in der Druck-Voransicht (egal ob für Drucker oder Adobe-PDF) ist bereits eine Verzerrung sichtbar, im erzeugten PDF oder Ausdruck dann noch stärker verzerrt.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add Page Break Preview and Print Preview functionality to MSExcel in Office 365 for Mac!

MSExcel for Office 365 for Mac does not provide the absolutely necessary functionality of Page Break Preview or using Print Preview before printing. This needs to be fixed immediately to support MSExcel Users. This capability exists in MSExcel for Window, so why not Mac's?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Create a print suppression character so that if the character is in the first column of a row it surpresses the printing for that row.

Create a print suppression character so that if the character is in the first column of a row it surpresses the printing for that row. This will allow an automatic sorting of data when used with an if statement.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base