Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. fix high contrast issues

fix issue where switching to high contrast causes printed page to print in all black or invisible white on page. Also borders dissapear when switching back and forth. but can be fixed by closing and reloading excel...

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Dialog box notifying user that Printing will generate a large number of pages

When you click Print, Excel should look at the number of pages that will be generated and give you a dialog box noting that you should check your page setup because if you continue you will generate X number of pages.

This is an issue I've had with Excel for decades, not years, decades! By now Excel should be able to review your document page breaks and identify that your spreadsheet for example is 26 columns wide and 26 rows long, could be printed on one sheet. It should then give you a dialog box alerting you to check your…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Watermark

Add a Watermark Tool with the same functionality as MS Word

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Option to Permanently Disable Displaying Page Breaks

For some reason, Page Breaks just annoy my eyes and serve as a distraction when I am working in a spreadsheet. I would love for there to be a setting in the Options to disable them so I don't have to hassle with toggling them off every time they appear.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. be able to print an entire workbook instead of just 1 page at a time

I do budgets one year at a time. one month per page/sheet. i'd like to print out an entire year (12 pages) without having to print one page/sheet at a time.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Copy & Paste Page Setup (print area, margins, scale, etc)

I'd like to be able to copy/paste the entire Page Setup from one tab to multiple others. Currently, I have to set the print area tab by tab. Then add in the page setup separately.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. prevent merged cells from splitting when printing

When you print a document in excel, have the option to prevent merged cells from splitting across pages (automatic feature, not by manually adjusting page breaks).

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make Excel Print exactly as shown on screen.

When text is included in an Excel spreadsheet, the printout can differ radically from the view on screen. Lines that fitted within a cell are suddenly too long, causing words to drop down and lines to disappear. Even if the layout is perfect on screen and in print preview, the hard copy version goes awry. This was a problem in Office 2003 and Office 2010 and now it's happening in Office 2013. Please fix it.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make print preview open on the page currently being edited, not the start of the file

There are serious (and ancient!) bugs in Excel that cause the final hard copy to differ considerably from the on-screen editing view. To ensure that all cell content is visible in the final copy, I have to open print preview frequently to find and correct layout problems. In Word, print preview opens on the page currently being edited, but in Excel it opens on page 1 of multi-page documents, so I have to search down to the current editing location. Excel's print preview should also open on the current page. Also, it should be possible to scroll through print preview…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. its a complaint

Under page layout there are two headings, grid lines and headings. It seem to default to print headings. if one deletes the tick box and then ticks the grid line print box and save the sheet. when re opening the sheet it has automatically defaulted back to print the heading instead of the grid lines. how does one resolve this issue

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make Excel use the standard printer settings, rather than force users to manually adjust every single tab to print in color

The title says it all. The current setup is not only absolutely unacceptable but it is also absolutely inconceivable how an engineer could ever have thought this is an economic and user-friendly way of printing workbooks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. HAVE NUMBER OF PAGES ALSO SHOW AT TOP OF PRINT PREVIEW SCREEN

Trying to verify that print will be as intended, when open Print Preview, one has to scroll down to see how many pages are avail to print, but then have to scroll back up to see what the top looks like, then go back down. It would also be helpful if the default print preview screen scaled to fit most screens -- that would then mean that my first suggestion not needed after all - maybe there's already a fix and I am just ignorant of it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Let me print pages that are not consecutive, in one print command. For example, let me print pages: 1,4-5,9 from ENTIRE workbook.

Let me print pages that are not consecutive, in one print command. For example, let me print pages: 1,4-5,9 from ENTIRE workbook.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Image get distorted when copy sheet from workbook to another

I have two Excel files (file1.xlsx and file2.xlsx, one file could be the copy of the other)

In these files I have 1 sheet with an embedded image.

If I copy the sheet of file1.xlsx in to file2.xlsx, the image of imported sheet seems ok but when I print (or in print preview) it is distorted.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix print of indented cells when printing as multicolumn sheet

When using indents on cells (i.e. implementing hierarchy), when printed, excel loses WYSIWYG, the print out or print preview distorts the indent width ratio to the font size. So the more the cells become smaller, the indention width becomes larger.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. PRINTING - Have excel check how many pages are being printed and not print numerous mostly blank pages or pages where font is unusably small

Have excel check how many pages are being printed and not print numerous mostly blank pages or pages where font is unusably small, by default if these are detected open a print dialog which tells you how many pages will be printed and ability to select pages 1,3,5,6 etc, fit to one page, fit to minimum font size, adjust margins etc.
    Too often I end up printing an excel document multiple times and wasting lots of paper and ink because the print options in excel are kind of stupid.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Printing an entire workbook with the same settings

When selecting to print an entire workbook and you select the option "fit to one page" you currently need to go to each page in the print screen and select "fit to one page". It does not automatically apply to all the pages when printing an entire workbook. This would be a helpful feature.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Printing margins

When I try to move margins in previewe windows excel crashes. No way to fix it, tried everything I've found on the web.
    Attached the file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base