Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. We don't have options to add border line in header and footer area.

Suppose we are printing a page with a border outline of full page then our header and footer always come outside of that border . So we need to add border to header or footer area to match with our page border .

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve & unify Print dialogue system for all office products

I would like to see one Printing dialogue box/window which is the same whether you are using Excel, Word, Access or any other program. eg If you wish to 'Posh up' your Spreadsheet before printing it, say change font or size for a header, you have to do it 3 times for the Header [title on LHS] [Instructions in center] [date on right]. If you wish to change the Font, you can't just type a letter for say Bookman OS, you have to scroll down each time. If you are using Access, the Print Dialogue Box (PDB) is different in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Labels directly from Excel without word

Why in 2017 can we not do labels in excel. Why do we have to mail merge in word? Excel is where the data is. Make it easy to just do it from excel as well.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Printing Multiple files from Excel

Office 2016 Home and Business Version 9226.2114 does not allow you to select multiple files and right click and print them anymore, this works in version 8528.2147 but has now stopped working, this only affects Excel as Word still works as expected

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Print at actual size

Why doesn't Excel print to actual size? Visio will print a 10cm box the correct size but Excel prints it at 9.7 x 10.8 cm. In the past I have copied and pasted from Excel to Visio so I can print the shapes correctly.

Due to the changes in licencing I cant buy current Visio for my personal use and the old version doesn't work on Win 10.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Access to Rows COlumns to repeat

Why can you not change the rows and columns ot repeat when viewing print settings. can only be done through page layout. Inconsistent and Dumb..... Been a problem/issue since version 1.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Page Setup - Repeat Rows at bottom

Under page setup there is an option to repeat rows at the top. My problem is I would also like repeat rows at the bottom. I work in data analysis and frequently have data tables that are multiple pages. It would be great if each page contained the rows at the bottom which in my case are (Mean, C.V., LSD, etc).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Print multiple sheets page # of #, but NOT be total pages in the workbook

I have users who want to be able to choose to print multiple sheets of their workbook, but then have the output show only the total number of pages for the individual worksheet, not the total workbook. The footers have the fields for [page] of [number of pages].

Example:
    Sheet1 has 2 pages
    Sheet2 has 3 pages

So if I print both sheets in one action, all of the page numbers are "# of 5". We would like to have the option to print all of the sheets in one action, but the pages in Sheet1 would say "Page 1…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Using Various Dates in Header/Footer

Not sure this idea belongs in printing or elsewhere, but the idea basically to specify the type of date/time printed in the header/footer. Currently, only the print date is available but it would be great to optionally print the last updated date in the footer instead of the print date and not involving VB macros.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Incorporate "snaking" under the print options to allow printing long tall lists into multiple columns on one sheet of paper.

Incorporate "snaking" under the print options to allow printing long tall lists into multiple columns on one sheet of paper.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. can find print preview button in excel. also cant find what version of excel i am running.

can find print preview button in excel.

also cant find what version of excel i am running.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. It would be nice to have an 'Export to PDF' button (icon) under the 'Quick Access Toolbar'

Frequently I export my worksheets as PDF documents. It would be really nice if there was an icon under 'Quick Access Toolbar' to this.
    The current process makes you go back to 'File' - 'Export' - 'Create PDF/XPS'.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Enable Headers and Footers to include variables based on a cell reference

It would be great if a cell reference could be used within a header and/or footer

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. My boss insists we use 2-sided printing. It can cause problems if we forget to set for it before printing each time.

Such printer setups could be included as part of the file. When we copy a file these setups would also be copied as part of the file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I'd like to have a "no print" option for cells, rows and columns.

I would like to be able control which cells, rows and columns would not print, without having to Hide them. Sometimes I want to see the data/formulas in the cells, but not have them on my final hard copies.
    Hiding and unhiding adds steps to my workflow.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Header and Footer

I would really like to see images in the excel header and footer acting like they do in word, that is, they need to act like a water mark being underneath all other items instead of being on top blocking other items when printing etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Apply page setup setting to other workbooks

I am looking for a method to apply page setup settings (header, footer, and all other page print setups) to other workbooks (not sheets in the current workbook).

Example:

I have the setting I need in a file (excel template or other excel file).

Some other SW tool is automatically generating reports in excel file format (new workbooks).

I need a method to apply the page settings to the new workbooks (and not to do it manually to each of them)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. What happened to the TABLOID SIZE (11" x 17") in the page setup menu?

What happened to the TABLOID SIZE (11" x 17") in the page setup menu? I am not even finding A3 size which is remotely similar.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option to limit paper selection for printing

Like most people, we only every use three sizes of paper in the office. Yet the print menu offers 32 different sizes and requires a person to scroll through them all to select the one you want, which is always letter, legal, or ledger. Why not offer the option of limiting this list so it only shows the paper sizes that actually exist, hiding the 29 alternatives that are NEVER used? This would save time and considerable aggravation.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)