Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. transfer pinned programs and documents pinned to programs when upgrading MS Office

automatically transfer the pinned programs and the documents pinned to programs when upgrading MS Office

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Pinned documents are based on the account you log in to Office with, so as long as you log in with the same account, they should “transfer” between Office versions.

Cheers,
      Dan [MS]

• Allow more than 1 instance in Excel 2016

Can you please bring back the ability to open more than 1 instance of Excel? Currently when I have a macro running, I am unable to utilize Excel because of this new setup. In the older versions of Excel, it was nice to be able to choose how many instances you wanted to open.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported. To start a new Excel instance, press Windows+R (Run), then type “Excel /x” without quotes.

You’ll get a new process that will be isolated from other Excel instances.

Cheers,
        Dan [MS]

• need new workbook copy protection

We need a higher level of workbook and worksheet protection perhaps set to the user ids own computer and allowed devices. This way excel documents with hidden formulas, code etc can be shared to people outside that network without worrying about special details (secrets) getting into the wrong hands. Currently workbook passwords can be unlocked with code, etc.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

There are two ways to get strong encryption and protection of Excel files:

1. DRM (Click on File > Info > Protect Workbook > Restrict Access) can be used to only allow certain users to access a file.

2. Workbook Protection (Click on File > Info > Protect Workbook > Encrypt with Password) can be used to encrypt a file. When set, only users with the password can open the file to see the contents.

Cheers,
          Dan [MS]

• Associate XML file with Excel

Update Office so that one of the opening options for XML files is Excel. Currently, when you open an XML file, it opens in Internet Explorer, and is unreadable

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported. To open XML files with Excel, you can:

1. Right click on the file in Windows Explorer
            2. Choose “Open with…”
            3. Select Excel from the list or browse for Excel.
            4. Optionally, select the box to “Always use this application to open XML files”

That should do it.

Cheers,
            Dan [MS]

• New spreadsheets should only have a single sheet

The normal thing is to only want one sheet. If I want multiple sheets I would normally want more than 3. It is easier to add a new sheet than delete one you don't want. Also many of the formats you can save a workbook in don't support multiple sheets. As such I think it would be more user friendly to only have the one tab to start with.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Martin,

Excel versions starting with either 2007 or 2010 (I forget exactly) now have only one sheet by default, as we came to the same conclusion that you did.

Also, as Kenneth mentions, you can change this value here: File → Options → General → When creating new workbooks → Include this many sheets.

Hope that helps,
              Dan [MS]

• Excel as default for .tsv files.

I used to be able to set Excel as the defaul application for opening .tsv files (which is the default format for exporting some of our finance files from other apps). Now I have to save as a WordPad file, and then open that file and copy/paste into Excel in order to get the data into columns for sums, etc. This is a huge waste of time when it can be done automatically. Please bring back this capability.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is not Excel functionality, but rather Windows, and is doable already. To associate .TSV files with Excel, do the following:

1. Find a TSV file on your computer.
                2. Right click on the TSV file and select “Open with…” (and if a menu appears, select “choose and app”)
                3. Check the box to “Always use this app to open .tsv files”
                4. Select Excel in the list of apps at the top of the dialog, or browse for Excel if it’s not listed there.
                5. Click OK.

That should do it for you. In the future, answers.microsoft.com is a better place for questions like this.

Cheers,
                Dan [MS]

• "Ctrl+O" should open the Open File dialog box not the Recent File pane

"Ctrl+O" has been an incredibly useful keyboard shortcut for two decades. Changing its functionality and moving the old functionality to Alt, F, O, O is a huge detraction from the functionality of Excel.

I open 10 to 20 files a day. of those, only 3 tend to be files which were recently opened. When I open those, the Recent File pane is nice. When I open the other 17, the recent file pane is just wasting my time.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Kevin,

You can get Ctrl+O to open the dialog box and not the backstage by going to File > Options > Save > Save workbooks > Don’t show the Backstage when opening or saving files.

Check that box, and you’ll see the behavior you want.

Personally, since I like the backstage for some things, I’ve gotten used to using Ctrl+F12 to jump directly to the Open dialog, and F12 to jump directly to Save – so that’s another option for you.

Cheers,
                  Dan [MS]

• When saving a new file or using "Save as", list all the file names in the folder that is selected, not just files that Excel knows.

I often create related files for the same topic. For example, I may create a word document and then want to create a related Excel file that contains related data, and I want to give both the same name. I would like to see this capability in all the Office products. These products used to work this way.

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow Excel to create a back-up file exctly as WORD does.

WORD actually saves a Back-up file to the directory you are using and it creates it every few minutes, or however you decided. EXCEL does not. It says it creates a back-up file but it rarely can be found and when it is found, it is not the most recent version.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Excel does this as well. You can find the location of these backup files (and configure how often they are created) under File > Options > Save. There you will find the “AutoRecover file location” and other related settings.

Cheers,
                      Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base