Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. search file in excel

Hi, I think it would be very intersting and efficient to have a search (files) box on the "open page" of excel .This would launch a search first in the recent files then sequentially eg (cfr attached) in one drive then on pc (following the personal and other locations defined by user on this page
    Dr JM Marnette

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back tiling excel spreadsheets in same instance of excel (excel 2010). The new way takes up too much room.

Bring back tiling excel spreadsheets in same instance of excel (excel 2010). The new way takes up too much room.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Start Excel with the last document it was closed or at least make it an option

Every time I start Excel I have to click on the name of the only document I have and use instead of Excel to open it automatically because there are no other documents except this one and it is very annoying. Excel should be smarter than this dumb behavior which waits for me to choose a document even if there is only one to choose from.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. A new clean, readable, rich and text-only file format

Microsoft's mission is to enpower developers, but these developers have a lot of throuble saving their work on Excel using Version Control Systems like GIT.

So it would be really really really nice to have a new file format respecting these constraints:
    - Text file (for the reasons listed below)
    - Human readable (with data aligned horizontally)
    - VCS friendly (the main purpose for a new file is to add commit it in git repositories, so small changes should result in small DIFFs)
    - Clean (just output the verbosity of the 1001 Excel features if the workbook uses each feature) …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Folder/File tree in Task Pane and Workbook tab navigation

Excel XP offers New Sheet Task pane (but without built-in folder/file tree). I think, it was interesting idea (and not BackStage part for this).

And why we need workbook tab navigation from third-party additions as Tabs For Excel?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. STOP turning the AutoSave back on when users turn it off!

STOP turning the AutoSave back on! AutoSave falsely represents users as updating the file AND creates unnecessary versions. Users turn it off and after Microsoft updates are pushed into the environment - it comes back on. Bad idea!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Recent files list: a filename (on SharePoint) has a space, space translates (bug) into %2520

Recent files list: a filename (on SharePoint) has a space, space translates (bug) into %2520

When I open a file from SharePoint in Excel, the file is added to the recent files list.
    However I can't open the file by clicking this item in the recent files list.
    It shows some strange SharePoint error within the Excel environment.

After some investigation the filename has some spaces, normally they will translate into %20
    But somehow the filename shows %20 in the name, and when I look carefully to the link it shows %2520 and not %20, therefor my file is not…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. On Open and Save As pop-up boxes, enable scrolling through Quick Access menu

I am unable to scroll through the Quick Access list at the side of the pop-up prompt when opening or saving a file, without first clicking in the Quick Access menu. I found recently I could do this in Word, the feature just needs to migrate from Word to Excel and the rest of the Office suite.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. What version of Excel am I using?

I use different versions of Excel when working at home, at the office or at client's workplaces.
    I would just like to know, quickly, what version of Excel I am working on. This used to be under the Help Menu in a pop-up dialogue box called "About", if my memory serves me. But I cannot find this in the latest version I have at home (part of Office 365), so I don't actually know which version I am using.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. file open screen

Add file explorer quick access as one of the 'places' like one drive.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. On the home page allow user to chose if they want pinned or recent files to display first

I use pinned files and want this to display as option rather than it defaulting to recent files. (as other users may want other way round have an option to set a default for users

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Reopen read-only file with write permissions

There should be an option/button for reopening a file that was opened as Read-Only (either via a Macro or by specifically choosing to open the file as read-only in the 'Open' dialogue box) with read/write permissions.

At the moment all it's shown is an option to Save As.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Show Prompt for which Instance to Open file

Most times I open really large files separately from others as I'm sure it would consume memory.

But in a situation where I need to open a new document or a recent downloaded Excel - at times it opens in the same Instance of Excel where the large file is open instead of the one with other files.

So would be nice to have a prompt when opening files - but empowered by an Add-in which on can turn on or off for those who might be bugged by this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. PLEASE Allow the pinned items to sort alphabetically!

PLEASE Allow the pinned items to sort alphabetically! I do not understand the logic of last opened date on pinned files because files that are pinned are not sorting that way either. Not having the ability to know where the pinned item ends up is not efficient since I can look for last opened files below. PLEASE revert to the 2013 method or make this a selectable option in settings.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Options for AutoSave

The AutoSave function is a great idea!!
    Just not in practice...
    In my business we re-use the same invoices made in excel for the same jobs, however save them as a new file each time in order to keep a record of the previous invoice.
    The new AutoSave feature is extremely dangerous in this regard.
    If I, or someone else, does not remember to turn off AutoSave, or save as a new file BEFORE making new changes, we LOSE our previous invoice.

Have options for AutoSave, the most important one being, DEFAULT OFF rather than default on.

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Start with the "Open" screen instead of the "Home" screen

The latest version of Excel for Windows (Version 1810) starts with the "Home" screen. To get to my pinned files, I have to click on the "Pinned" tab on that screen.
    The previous version started with the "Open" screen - which shows the "Pinned" files at the top of the list.
    I would like an option to go back to the previous version's behavior.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. AutoSave is causing Havoc.

Remove AutoSave and let user add it from Settings by choice

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. One Drive Template location

when creating a template Excel uses "Documents\Custom Office Templates" as the location to save the template. Excel also only looks in this location to find personal templates. Excel should have a default One Drive location for templates.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base