Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase Excel filename limits

Microsoft advertise that they have given us a godlike 400 character limit in OneDrive and SharePoint. Sounds good...Until you find out that not one of the Office applications supports more than 259 characters, and Excel is the clear winner at 218. Thats HALF. Not a bit less, HALF. This is borderline fraudulent, I have had customers who couldn' go to Sharepoint because of the file name limits, and after wasting a load of money on Migrations and setting up Sharepoint, all because Microsoft told us we can have 400 characters in a name, we have to revert everything back. For…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Open SharePoint hyperlinks in native application

A hyperlink to a an Excel file saved in SharePoint opens the file in the browser and the macros associated with the file do not function in the online environment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show all file types in the open file screen (text, csv, tsv)

Show all file types in the open file window.

Currently only xls xlsx are shown.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Work file Autosave option to desktop

Introduce work file auto save option to desktop preferred location

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. hi, you can save your excel file both places at a one time click like cloud and hdd drive

hi, you can save your excel file both places at a one time click like cloud and hdd drive

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. New Document Save like Office Online

Office needs to auto save auto create a file each time you open Excel, Word, PPT. Like it does online, when a user opens Excel, a Book1.XLSX file should automatically be created in their OneDrive with AutoSave enabled. Still have users that open Word or Excel and create documents but do not save the file at first, often lossing work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. slk

After the update from 1902 - 11328.20222, all .slk files can not be opened. Is this an issue?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. while going for "Save As" keep an option to add new folder directly without the need to click on (additional Options) which takes extra time

while going for "Save As" keep an option to add new folder directly without the need to click on (additional Options) which takes extra time

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. GET YOUR ******* PRO TIP OUT OF MY FACE

GET YOUR ******* PRO TIP OUT OF MY FACE

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow ME to indicate default folder for opening files.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to default the open page (in browse) to go directly to my Dropbox folder instead of the Windows 08 file under This PC. It caused me multiple extra clicks a day and extreme frustration.

Microsoft needs to let the customer decide the best way they work instead of trying to force them into MS ways/products. It happens time and again.

AND... is there a way to get rid of the extra, superfluous startup screen that was added in an "upgrade" a while back?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Fix Path/Filename Length Restrictions (Office, OneDrive, SharePoint, etc.)

Please fix length limitations on the path/filenames in Office, OneDrive, SharePoint etc!! This has been a problem for many years. Not only is the limitation too small --- but it is inconsistent across the MS Suite of products.

In some places I can save a specific path and filename and others I cannot (e.g., SAVE AS functionality seems to have one limitation and file moves or copies have a different limitation).

I recently starting using OneDrive to keep my files backed up as I work. The issue is that when I try to build some organization into my folder structure,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Excel Misinterpreting CSV as SYLK file.

When opening a CSV file in Excel where the first field is "ID", Excel gives a dialog saying the extension does not match the file type (Excel assuming the file type to be SYLK). I have had to make a change to my codebase to change "ID" to "_ID" specifically for users who utilize Excel. I would appreciate a fix ASAP.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add opening options

I open Excel files through explorer. My company just moved us over to 2016. When multiple files are opened through explorer the error of PERSONAL.XLSB file in use always pops up. Also, it used to be that when you had two files open that linked to each other and you saved one file with a new name, the other file would recognize the change and if you saved the second file it would retain the new name and path of the first file. This does not happen any more.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Search option in Open and Save function

When I am trying to open a new file or save a file, I do not wish to scan through all the file names I have recently opened to get to where I want.
    Kindly enable a search Option to find the file I want to Open or to search the folder I want to save in

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Offline corrupt edb files and move it to live exchange server

EDB to PST Converter software has been proved as an excellent utility which recovers all types of data on Exchange Server such as attachments, messages, calendars, contacts, drafts, tasks, notes, journals, distribution lists, appointments, sent items, completely deleted emails, sub-folders, directories and etc.

It also provide to save all corrupt EDB File them in various formats like PST, MSG, EML, HTML, TXT and RTF files format.It solves issues by removing errors from inaccessible Exchange server and makes entire enclosed data readable again.Using this software, you can easily recover corrupted or damaged Exchange server files and saved it into a new…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I want the "Open Recent File" shortcut button added to the Quick access ribon in Office 365, especially for excel.

I want the "Open Recent File" shortcut button added to the Quick access ribon in Office 365, especially for excel. This is very useful and has been removed for some reason.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add extra protection when using password protection like using Microsoft Authenticator and/or face/iris/fingerprint instead

In the modern world face/iris/fingerprints are used more to improve security. I also use Microsoft Authenticator when accessing my Microsoft Account etc.

It would be useful to add additional steps when opening documents that are password protected with either removing the password and moving to the above options or including them as optional extra layers of protection.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Can you please add a OneNote icon to Excel in the Ribbon to bring up the OneNote box to save the excel file directly into OneNote.

Saving an Excel file Directly into OneNote.

Can you please add a OneNote icon to Excel, in the Ribbon area, to bring up the OneNote box to choose the location and save the excel file directly into OneNote. Right now only Word and Powerpoint have the option. Without this option, we have to save the file to another location, like the desktop and then drag it or copy and paste it to add it to OneNote. See the image attached.

Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Stop ramming OneDrive down my throat after you throttled back the size of the drive.

Don't force me to use OneDrive if I want to have autosave on. Why can't I configure my autosave to go where I want?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base