Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 512 bit Microsoft Excel.

My projects continually run out of memory for Microsoft Excel. What is the feasibility of 512 bit applications?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When excel opens you should show PINNED files before showing RECENT files; what's the point of having pinned items? Am I missing something

Open excel showing PINNED files first. What's the point of showing RECENT files before showing PINNED files? that's totally inefficient and illogical. Or, am I missing some setting to fix that problem. If so where's the setting?

You have recent files all over the place, like Quick access etc.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. use to excel

all types use excel

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. For Excel 2019, under Options, add Browse Your Computer

For Excel 2019, on the Home page, Options, under SAVE,
    you should be able to BROWSE your computer to choose the new locations to save your files and Auto Recovery files.

Currently, there is no Browse option in Excel BUT there is the Browse option in WORD.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable auto save and the ability to embed a PDF or file into an excel cell

I want to be able to take a pdf or picture from file explorer and insert it into a cell without autosave turning off. I want to be able to put as much data as I can into an excel workbook. My team and I use excel workbooks to keep track of expenses accumulated on job sites and I want to be able to have the invoices inputted right next to the line. items

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add a warning when saving CSV files (special case!)

This time I received no warning and lost great amount of data. I downloaded a CSV file, used 'text to columns' function and saved the CSV file. After that I added several new sheets and every time I clicked the save button (not save as..) the word "saved" appeared on the top of the panel. After that I closed the excel file (assuming it's okay and absolutely forgetting it was a CSV file at the beggining, because everything worked exactly like in XLSX file). The next day I opened the file and all i was left was one sheet with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Save window size and position in each workbook file.

I work with two or more workbooks simultaneously daily, I need to see each workbook entirely. It would be more efficient if I do not need to resize and position the workbooks every time I load them. The size and position code needs to be saved only when a workbook is not full-screen when last saved. The option to save size and position can be a toggle in Excel settings so it applies to all files.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Font embedding in pdf

Fonts embedded when saving in pdf format from Excel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Create a macro-free version of the XLSB format

Because of the risk of damage from malicious or poorly written macros, some organizations or individuals are hesitant to trust XLSM and XLSB spreadsheets, which may contain macros, but would gladly trust XLSX spreadsheets, since they cannot contain macros. However, XLSB spreadsheets tend to be smaller and open and save faster than XLSX and XLSM spreadsheets.

Currently, the author of a shared macro-free spreadsheet must choose between the space and performance benefits XLSB or the transparency and trustworthiness of XLSX. It doesn't need to be this way.

For the best of both worlds, please create a version of XLSB that…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 365 doesn't retain window sizes for multiple worksheets in a workbook

It's bad enough that 365 doesn't allow multiple worksheets to open in a single excel instance, but the fact that it DOES ALLOW multiple worksheet windows to be retained in a workbook - then DOES NOT KEEP the individual window sizes and window placements when saving the workbook is ridiculous! The main drawback to using 365 is that I every time I open a workbook with multiple views, I have to move and resize all windows - that are designed to work together. Works fine in 2010.
    The more I try to use 365 the more I am getting convinced…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add option to re-open all previously open Excel files the next time Excel is started.

Excel could really use an option (probably under "Start up Options") to automatically re-open all previously-open Excel files the next time Excel is started back up after all active Excel files are closed (whether that happens via the "Close all windows" option or system reboot, shutdown, or crash). This would be the Excel equivalent of the option of most web browsers to save all open tabs when the browser is closed and re-open them the next time it is launched. As a user who typically keeps multiple Excel files open at once, it's a huge pain in the neck to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Get rid of "copy of" when doing save as

Please get rid of the "copy of" prefix that automatically comes up whenever I do a file save as! It is never, ever helpful and always has to be deleted.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Excel autosave function

Please enable autosave function for local PC , now autosave function only work for onedrive not for local PC. When user enable autosave no option can choose for local PC

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Let autosave save my file locally and not OneDrive

Please stop nudging and forcing me to use OneDrive in all ways.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I CANNOT FIND PASSWORD PROTECT FOR EXCEL FILES ANYMORE;

PUT IT BACK WHERE IT WAS;
    ALSO SHOW undo BUTTON AGAIN UNDER SAVE FILE i DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS cONTROL z

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Stop turning off ONE DRIVE. Leave it on at alll times.

LEAVE ONE DRIVE ON! NEVER TURN IT OFF. I have to turn it on and that is a really bad idea. One Drive is a bad dog when it is OFF - USELESS AND NOT DEPENDABLE. LEAVE IT ON. WORTHLESS WHEN OFF. LEAVE IT ON! PERIOD! I PAID FOR IT; SO, LEAVE IT ON. i LOSE DATA WHEN YOU EXPECT ME TO TURN IT ON EVERY **** TIME I DO A SAVE ON MY OWN. I HATE ONE DRIVE UNLESS I NEED IT. NEVER TURN IT OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Let user select delimiter when saving as CSV

When saving a worksheet as CSV, Excel doesn´t allow me to choose which character to use as delimiter. It uses the character set as list separator in the Windows´ Region settings. The only way to change the delimiter Excel uses for CSV is changing that Windows setting, but it causes a lot of side effects in other applications (even in Excel).
    It would be very usefull allowing the user to choose the CSV delimiter when saving a sheet as CSV (at least let the user choose from a set of characters, in order to avoid conflict with decimal separator).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Open protected workbook file with Windows Face recognition

I think if we can make more options to open a protected workbook file, like Windows face recognition or Microsoft authenticator, it will make opening a protected workbook faster. Also, these options will make working with protected files safer and secure.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base