Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. create file shortcut on desktop

Please restore the ability to "create shortcut on desktop" directly from the file manager. It was so handy. Now i have to create a shortcut, then copy or move it to the desktop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hello. Allow users to open more than one file in the same workbook for Excel 2016 for Windows 10. Not a separate workbook per file.

Hello. Allow users to open more than one file in the same workbook in Excel 2016 for Windows 10. Not a separate workbook per file.
    Not helpful for toggling.
    Why was this discontinued in Excel 2013 ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove or make optional your "Copy of" when saving my excel worksheet.

Make the Copy of function an option not a no choice in the renaming of my file every time I save my file. Also, when opening excel for the first time, make it an option to open on a blank workbook. Excel 2019 is a disaster with these not made as options and a waste of my time having to work around them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Excel - Improve Excel file corruption detection

We have a corruption on a specific Excel file. This corruption very significantly reduced Excel performances. Unfortunately, Excel did not automatically detect the corruption while opening the file. We have to manually remove "custom views" for the Excel file, and re-open it to allow Excel detecting the corruption and repairing it. It is a pity that Excel cannot detect the corruption by himself, if we did not perform the trick of removing custom views. I am reproducing the issue with last version of Excel.
    My request is to improve the corruption detection, so this kind of corruption can be detected.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. My biggest annoyance with this program is that it opens the last minimize Excel file when you open a new Excel file.

I would like Excel to open the new excel file without restoring the previously minimize Excel file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. I need to open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Way to disable greetings

Excel started to "greet" me recently and home page is showing template list.
    I have disabled showing of templates from startup so this is supper annoying.
    How do I stop both things? Excel does not know me so don't tell me "Good morning" or such.
    This just craps on my screen and covers with junk forcing me to use extra clicks to get to things. I want to see the real list of pinned items/ last accessed ones - and in this order.
    95% of the time I use only pinned items and last access time is not relevant to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I work on excel files with tons of data in multiple sheets, there should be a way to open sheets from one file in a new tap to view at once

I work on excel files with tons of data in multiple sheets, there should be a way to open sheets from one file in a new tap to view at once

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please, PLEASE, stop Excel from opening minimized documents when I open a new document!

I work in multiple excel documents at any given time throughout my day. It is not unusual to have 6 or more open. When I open a new document it takes forever because Excel seems to think I want all minimized documents expanded as well as opening a new document. I am sometimes under a deadline and the pause/interruption of work-flow by having to wait for the new doc to open and then re-minimize everything that I do not want open is ridiculous.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Have Excel AutoRecover in the background (if given the opportunity), rather than waiting to disrupt your flow upon regaining focus

Excel seems to trigger an autorecover as soon as it regains focus. This seems quite stupid and disruptive given the amount of time in the background it could do this housekeeping - why wait until the user reactivates the window to immediately freeze up and do an autorecover? Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Maybe stop Autosave from ruining my life?

Autosave is trash and no one wants it. Using templates in the workplace just became 10x less efficient. When I turn off autosave, I expect it to turn off autosave so maybe start there before removing the feature entirely.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add "reload file from disk" shortcut

Why is there no "reload file from disk" button / shortcut?

Seriously, it's 2019 - it seems like a dead-stupid thing to have; I just want Excel to re-read the same file name's data from disk.

I frequently use Python to generate XLSX files, and as I'm making tweaks to my tool, I am constantly doing:

- Cmd+W
    - Cmd+O
    - Double click file, wait for it to open
    - Select all cells
    - Double click column width adjuster to force columns to be the width of the data
    - Re-implementing any sort / filter logic I had in the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Save as option when right click on the sheet tab

I want to be able to save a single sheet(or just selected sheets) to a new file - if I have many sheets I need to delete the ones I do not need after saving to a new file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Always create a copy

Word has it! A global setting to Always Save A Copy. Setting this in Excel result in the same behaviour i.e. Excel would create a backup copy of the file being overwritten with a Save, allowing the user to revert changes if required.

Ideally, such a feature would support multiple versions as an option i.e. Backup copies to save = x would create copies with a filename that includes a version number to the maximum number set in that variable.

I mean, who hasn't had an experience of overwriting hours of work, right?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. File - -> Save As - - > Values

In my current project I need to have a Data file with all my formulae and a report file containing only the values minus the formulae.

My suggestion is that instead of copying data and pasting as Values or using VBA scripts, can we have a Save As Value file? This would make it very easy to only save the contents/values of a file and while keeping the original one intact.

Currently files loaded with formulae take forever to open and filter. Copy pasting works but that's a few extra steps. If there was a direct way it would make…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Need the ability to open multiple Excel files in a single instance (window) of Excel. It provides a much better experience when linking.

Allow multiple files to be open at one time again. This provides a better experience when linking among multiple files, as well as when you have to open, and look at, many files and would like them to be viewed one after the other, without having to configure each window every time, such as size, ribbon hidden, etc...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Remove the unused space in the File Open Recent dialog to allow long file names

The File Open (Recent) dialog shows :

- a vertical scroll bar and
    - an empty/unused space on the right hand

The scroll bar has a fixed position.
    Therefore long file names are truncated.

So far no-one can tall what this empty space is being used for.

My suggestion is to
    either
    - allow users to move the vertical scroll bar more to the right
    or
    - better, to remove the empty space.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Options for Start Sreen

It would be nice if there was an option to use Pinned files instead of Recent files on the Start Screen when you open Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Nhờ a(c) giúp mình với. mình muốn kiểm tra giáo viên nhập đúng diểm không thì làm như thế nào. ví dụ xếp loại tốt cột điểm phải là 9; 10

muồn lập công thức kiểm tra vi dụ môn toán, mức đạt được T, điểm 9; 10; H điểm 5; 6; 7; 8; C điểm 1-4. mình lập hàm =or(and(E1="T",F1>8
    ),or(and(E1="H",4<f1<9),or(E1="C",F1<5),truê,false))) sao lại không đúng. xin cam ơn nhiều

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Multiple Backups

More and more I'm opening my files with my macros and getting "missing library" or even worse, not being able to recover the coding.

I finally did a macro to replace the "backup of" system excel uses:

It keeps a big number of backup versions using this format (I use a variable inside the macro. Right now is 12). I will end with 12 backups, and they will be recycle, one by one:
    AUTORECOVER-1-file name.XLSB
    AUTORECOVER-2-file name.XLSB
    AUTORECOVER-3-file name.XLSB
    AUTORECOVER-12-file name.XLSB

Macro

Sub BACKUP_SYSTEM()
    ' ---------------------------------------------
    XNUM_OF_BACKUPS = 12

XFOLDER = UCase(ActiveWorkbook.Path)
    XWORKBOOK = UCase(ActiveWorkbook.Name)

If InStr(XWORKBOOK,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base