Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Checkbox next to the filename to save or discard on close, with changeable default

A very frustrating user experience could be avoided.

This selector/switch/checkbox could be anywhere on the title bar, perhaps to the left of the window control buttons.

The default behavior could be a changeable preference setting. This option could allow for context, such as if the file is new or recently used then it will always save on exit. (It could even highlight somehow, indicating a save location needs to be assigned.)

Closing windows is so annoying and problematic; please fix this.

It would vastly lower the number of reboot and other complications.

All Microsoft products should do this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Speichern von archivfähigem PDF/A

Bei Speichern einer Datei als PDF kann man diese als "PDF/A-kompatibel" speichern. Die neuen Versionen von Excel speichern aber nur noch PDF/A-3-Dateien. PDF/A-3 ist jedoch nicht für die Langzeitarchivierung geeignet, siehe https://kost-ceco.ch/cms/pdf-a-3.html. Für die Langzeitarchivierung sind nur PDF/A-1 und PDF/A-2 geeignet, siehe https://kost-ceco.ch/cms/pdf-a-1.html und https://kost-ceco.ch/cms/pdf-a-2.html. Man sollte auswählen können, in welcher PDF/A-Version man speichern will. Das sollte bei einem der nächsten Updates eingebaut werden (bei einem Update, nicht bei einer kostenpflichtigen neuen Version).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel should open csv files with needing an import dialog

Excel used to open csv files easily without going through an import dialog where I have to tell Excel that it uses commas to separate cells. Hello? "comma separated values" = csv! If I open a csv file from Windows File Explorer, it opens to Excel no problem, no import dialog. So why, when I open the same file from Excel should I need an import dialog? Please go back to the easier to use csv file opening from Excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Use ISO8601 when exporting dates to CSV files

When exporting to a CSV file, it would be best to export dates in ISO8601 format (or a specific date format if the user has set one). CSV is about making things machine readable and this avoids the ambiguity of American vs British date formats. I regularly deal with local councils and they will export a CSV file from Excel and then be very confused as to why the date format has changed when they've explicitly set it. If you can't preserve their chosen format, please default to ISO8601 to reduce headaches.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. auto save features limitation

auto save feature doesnt work when an object is inserted. If the object is included as an object and is not linked to any external update, then it should let us auto save. In case there is any hindrance found, apart from just mentioning it (which is necessary as a first step to inform) then it should be able to provide resolution to, For this it may ask for certain changes to be impacted - however the verbiage used should be simple for a layman / child / adult / and other personas of the difficult types (not savvy personas).…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "Excel File Types Only" option to limit what gets added to my recent files list.

I open a lot of temporary csv files to get data from the web, and I never reopen those files from disk, but they fill up my Excel recent files list so I don't see my recent Excel files. To make the recent files list more useful, I want it to only show recent files of Excel types (xlsx, xlsm, etc.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow workbooks to open in full screen, like it used to, not just tiled, horizontal, vertical, & cascade

When opening multiple workbooks, allow an option for each workbook to be opened full screen - tiled is too small to be able to pick out the individual workbook to be viewed and then move to the next needed workbook when doing accounting functions, horizontal, vertical, & cascade cause similar issues. The workbooks opened this way in Office 2010 and then you could choose to change it to a different opening setting if you preferred. Please go back to the full page opening - this is especially helpful for two screen operation as then two full workbooks can be viewed…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ask security questions to recover or reset forgotten document password or worksheet/workbook lock

I can't remember my password from 4 years ago, so asking me a set of security questions to allow me to reset or recover my password would be helpful. Or at least give me the option to set up security questions so that I can recover my password.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. "Save a copy" should not behave the same as "save as" for Excel (.xls*) formats

The behaviour of the "save a copy" functionality is not intuitive and contrary to the behaviour in other (non-Microsoft) tools.

When I choose to save a copy of my Excel file (in one of the xls* formats) I do expect Excel to keep my original file open. Instead "save a copy" behaves exactly like "save as", i.e. the newly saved file is the one open in Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Smart Auto Discard of AutoRecovered file

If the recovered file is identical to the most recently saved version, then there is no reason to even bother opening and looking at the recovered file.

Furthermore, when the files are not identical, then it would be useful to have an option to to do a compare and merge between the saved file and the recovered file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. When you say a file is blocked because it is in use by another user, can you not specify who that user is?

Periodically the program says I can't use or save a file because it is blocked by another user when I know that I am the only user and that I have only one cop open. If you state who or where the 'other use' is occurring I might be able to sort out the problem

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I cant' open (.xlsx) files Directly click on file

I can't oppen (.xlsx) directy. When open this type of fils first open microsoft excel and after select file then it's open.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. stop the autosave feature

stop the autosave feature.
    it wrecks havoc in my work. It MUST be OFF by default and NOT on !!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. "Always create backup copy" general option

Pleae provide the user option to specify that a backup copy should be created when saving, as a default for ALL files (as Word does) rather than having to remember to specify this in a file-by-file basis.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Let us say NO with N when not saving instead of save as being default

It was so simple... I am done with the current dummy sheet Book1... CTRL+W to close... N for no.
    Now because the pop up gives me a SAVE AS by default from book 1, when I instinctlively hit N as I have for years, that is the new file name... I want my N back please

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. while pasting the file from a mail to a folder-

if its the same name available in the folder its asking to replace, but in many cases we do wanted to keep the Old name as it is, however in order to retain we were intended to go and change the Old name in the folder and pasting the new file in order to avoid replace. But while pasting itself if we have an Option to change the name of the file which we are pasting would have been good and it will make ease and save the time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow login info to be pasted from password manager when logging into MoneyInExcel

In MoneyInExcel I would like to be able to paste login info from password manager.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Quick acess office "document ABC" turn on web browser icons pop up with your go to places. turn on computer make recent documents quick icon

Quick access: office "document ABC" turn on web browser icons pop up with your go to places. turn on computer make recent documents quick icon.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Office 365 > Excel - Version Tagging

Currently I use SaveAs to save a excel (word, PPT) to mark a major change. For example, I changed a mega formula in excel which is accurate but slow, to a 2 lines of formula. Though version is created, I could not find which version I made the changes. I am back to using SaveAs with hint in the file name. If there is any other option which I am not aware of let me know or create provision to tag the version and tag explorer for Version control, so that I can pull that version easily.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base