Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Require your Developers to Preserve Windows Function Points

I don't mean hang on to the clunky old interfaces. But stop forgetting the function you folded into file dialogs, error popups, etc. Your developers are getting sloppy and dumping useful function that Windows users are familiar with. You are making it easier to just switch to MacOS, since the deep functionality has left the room and the new behavior is as poorly documented as Apple's, maybe even poorer.

Examples of issues:

- Ignoring standard shortcuts (<CTRL>A, etc.) in dialog boxes.
    - Script kiddie dialog boxes that look pretty but are useless.
    Why should I EVER have a custom file…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Warn me when changing save locations: saving to nowhere

Tell me when I am saving to the Cloud versus desktop: I lost a night of programming when I switched off "Save to One Drive". Excel didn’t default back to my hard drive; it just stopped saving to One Drive and consequently wasn’t saving to anything. I want the option to save to both One Drive and hard drive simultaneously. At the very least, I want Excel to warn me when I change from one save type to the other, or that I am actually saving to nothing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. [BUG] Excel 2016 update 16.0.6769.2040

the more you save a file, the less you can open it. it takes a longer time to open until you can't open it anymore. Impossible to work in this conditions. Please make an update because to reinstall doesn't fix the problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. saving to onedrive

If I have 2+ excel files open, and I close one, confirm saving, then it uploads to onedrive. While this dialog box window is open, I'm locked out of my other excel sheets until the file finishes saving to onedrive. If the file is large (100+MB), then this can lock me out for several minutes.

I'd like all excel file activity to be contained in that window, and not interrupt or prevent activities in the other excel file windows.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow files to load from browser.

Before the upgrade to Office 365 (I think) we had Office 2010. I was able to go to the file search window and select the file I wanted to open. A simple double click opened the file in Excel, Word, Power Point, or whatever.

Now, the same action opens the application, but there is no file. I have to use the "File" menu within the program and search a second time to find the file and open it the long way.

Please correct this error and do an update.

Thanks,
    Kam

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Opening a CSV file should not trigger a full recalc when calcs are on manual

When calculations are on manual, only the user should be allowed to trigger a full recalc. However when you open a CSV file, Excel recalculates the whole workbook. This doesn't make any sense. You may want to recalculate the csv file itself (if someone had the bright idea of leaving formulas in a csv...) but certainly not a full recalc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Simultaneous file saving output.

Usually I save one excel file into an htm and pdf format. and I have to repeat the process of saving. How about there could be an option where a user can save a file simultaneously to different outputs. In my case. If I could save my file as an html and pdf at the same time, that would be truly helpful in my work. Totally saves a lot of time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix problem that changes linked Excel file location

When creating a link between data in 2 Excel sheets without OneDrive, the program links to the file location on the hard drive. Once OneDrive is in place, Excel forgets the hard drive location and only links to the OneDrive web location... so when you open the file the data link to the other file fails. This is a MAJOR problem. This renders one of the most vital functionality of Excel useless!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Resume for Office Applications

Intro: For almost 5 years, since Apple released Mac OS X Lion in July 2011), Mac users enjoyed "Resume" feature that enables applications to re-open in exactly the same state as before quitting the application or restarting the system, including window positions and contents of unsaved files.

Problem: Lack of the "Resume" feature is what makes me dread logging off and restarting Windows. Especially when I have multiple Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents open in different virtual desktops on two monitors - having to re-create this setup after the restart is really annoying.

Suggestion: I suggest Microsoft implements this functionality…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Use system date format in the recently used files list

The recently used files list currently uses USA date format m/d/yyyy instead of the user's system setting. It should use the user's setting. Not everyone lives in the USA!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. "Copy link to sheet" to create a shortcut to the sheet

I would love to have the ability to right click on a sheet tab and get an option for “Copy link to sheet.” I use this feature all the time in OneNote to help get people to the right tab/page… It would be great to have a quick way to pass people a hyperlink that directly opens a specific sheet.

Instead I find myself giving people directions to navigate to the “xyz” sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. run calc on save doesn't complete saving for large tables

follow up for large table and iterative comments. If running calc on save is selected and attempted on very large tables, it won't function completely before closing and data is lost.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Excel is always asking for credentials on opening a shared document

As a user I don't want to reenter my credentials for a shared Office365-business document/Excel sheet every time on opening them in Word/Excel locally.
    (A user shared a word file in it's tenant for me, using my mail-address of my own tenant. Office will ask me every time for my credentials on opening that file, which it should already know. Opening files from my tenant happens without of any bugging requests for credentials...)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Save to current folder instead of "Document Library"

In a corporate environment you often have 1000+ people on the same server, with 10+ levels of subfolder defining your little part of it. So, it's a REAL PAIN when every time you want to save a copy of a workbook to your folder (or maybe a new subfolder of the current folder's parent) that you are always thrown out to the "Document Library" so that you have to navigate back through all the subfolders to where you just were. The "Document Library" is a fixed location, so it should be accessible via a button on the Save As dialog,…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Really badly need "Total Editing Time" as a property.

It would be very helpful if Excel could record the total editing time spent working on a spreadsheet. Or if Excel could better still, automatically log each time period spent editing a spreadsheet. Helps when billing customers and giving volunteer hours as I do a lot with Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Protected Work Book Sync Passwords

Is it possible in future versions offer some sort of service that can be hooked into AD whereby Excel passwords that either encrypt or protect a workbook are synced to some sort of Library on a local server?

As many times users protect an excel workbook or file and forget the password and thus loose the data.

But if this password could be backed upto a backend service that the IT Team can access this would help for easy access.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Pin newly opened files to visual area (or just the upper left hand corner)

I open my excel to cross over multiple screens, but when i open a file its a crap shoot as to where it appears across the screens. I know the file is open as I can see it in the list of open files but beats me where it is. I have to go to "View/Arrange All" and then vertical to be able to find the file. But doing that moves all my other files that I have placed in my work area for a reason.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Save As Cell Contents, instead of the default "Book1.xlsx"

Often I have typed a heading in a workbook, and then had to re-type the same or nearly the same information when saving the workbook. MS Word has an intelligent guess at the Save As option by using the first words in the document, but Excel just offers Book1.xlsx. What if we could have Save, Save As, and Save As Cell Contents? In other words, select your chosen cell, click on Save As Cell Contents, and you have your desired file name with no duplication of effort.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Remove folder depth limitation when saving

Excel can open files from anywhere, but has an arbitrary limit on the folder depth/number of characters in path, forcing you to save to an intermediate temporary location.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base