Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Display online status, "Connected to: OneDrive" just like "Connected to: Exchange" status in Outlook

Too many times when saving a document to my OneDrive from Excel (appl) I receive this error: "UPLOAD FAILED We're sorry.."
    Same result when I try again. I have checked my network connection by checking my exchange connection: "Connected to: Microsoft Exchange". I am successfully connected from home office via "MSIT AutoVPN: Conencted"
    In the buttom line of Excel status is displayed: "Upload Failed"! Instead I would like to suggest that a status of connection to OneDrive is diaplayed to share with the user if Excel acknowledge a valid connection to OneDrive at this time! Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expand the new "Shared with Me" option

While I appreciate the new "Shared with Me" option when opening a file (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), it only shows documents. It would be great to see folders that were shared with me as well and browse to the file that I want to open within the shared folder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow me to pin more than 11 files to the task bar

If I pin more than 10 files, the last ones don't show up unless I unpin some others. The recent files no longer show up at all unless you have less than 10 items pinned. I work with several files, plus have others that I don't use all the time but may have worked on today and want to go back to.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Knowhow livedrive cloud

would like to see, knowhow cloud (livedrive) work

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Read-only recommended --- replace Yes/No buttons with Read-Only/Edit buttons

Relabel the two buttons upon opening a Read-Only recommended file. Instead of "Yes" and "No", use "Read Only" and "Edit"
    Even though the text is clear enough for those that bother reading the instructions, this solution would largely prevent someone from editing the Read-Only version, then saving without the Read-Only Recommended option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. xls and xlsx files are not defaulted as Excel files in Windows 10

In Windows 10, xls and xlsx files are not automatically associated to Excel. If you try to open an xls or xlsx file from windows explorer, it open a save as windo rather than booting and opening in Excel.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add "most used" along of "recent"

The open -> recent pane takes up the whole screen, and, past a point, gives irrelevant choices.

What about sharing this pane with "n most used ever" (able to manually delete files from this list).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Message when trying to open a file that is already open..

So I sometimes make the mistake of right clicking on the Excel in the taskbar and open a file that is actually already open. It then shows me a message that that file is already open and then i have to go back to hover over the excel icon in taskbar and find that file and go in to the file. Why cant it just go directly to the file you have open. Why have that message pop up that u have to close and then do other steps? This is a pet peeve of mine. Can you just make…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. In excel for large data use seperate database in excel & save as database file attach to same excel file for save time & space of proecssing

above suggestion is given because i always face & can not handle this error "excel cannot complete this task with available resources" for large database while processing & saving

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Be able to select template for a new workbook with the keyboard or at least have them displayed as a list rather than as thumbnails

I have dozens of templates and I know their names, but because the templates are only displayed as thumbnails arranged alphabetically, to use the ones that start with letters like "U" takes multiple mouse clicks. Like it was in previous versions, I would like to be able to start typing the name and get a very limited list of templates (eventually down to one) to select.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Having to click the 'Enable content' button every time I open a worksheet is driving me bonkers! How do we turn it OFF?

This just seems to be a big waste of time and I don't need this feature. I want to be able to disable it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. DropBox missing from "Add a Place in Office 2016

In Office 2013 users had the ability to add non-Microsoft cloud storage providers (DropBox Google) to "Add a Place". This interoperability was a valuable asset to the user trying to use Office applications. In Office 2016 the ability to add DropBox is no longer available in the UI. The only options are Microsoft cloud stores.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Easy Method to Export Single Worksheets (rather than copy into new notebook)

Single-click on worksheet tab to save to a new workbook file. Many sheets that need to distribute single sheets to different people, without having to copy sheet to a new book and then saving.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please, improve the protection of Excel spreadsheets

I have found that OpenOffice and LibreOffice can open Excel spreadsheets with password very easily. This seems like a pretty serious problem. I hope you will correct soon. Thank you

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Need to bring back Recent Items folder originally available under Win 7 favorites. New file access within Apps is anti productivity

May Recent Items folder available to Quick Access that shows up in open and save option in Windows Office Apps

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. file explorer and the "save" and "save as" etc boxes should be larger and have larger default fonts.

Bigger box and bigger fonts when being asked to name, rename, save as file commands

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. In Office 365, fix the 'reopen after closing' bug

In Office 365, both Excel and Word always try to reopen after I've closed them. This has been reported by many people, but nothing seems to have been done to fix it, even with the regular updates.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Saving a workspace includes the path of all workbooks.

This is just plain awkward and non-transparent to the user. When I save my workspace Excel thinks it knows best by including the full path in the resulting .xlw file. If I make a copy of the workspace and all files in a new folder the workspace continues to "point" to the original location and opens those instead.
    There must be some means of making this information available and editable by the user.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base