Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to send notifications to others when a document is saved.

Ability to send notifications to others (automatically) when a document is saved without having to send the document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. How about not ruining days?

How about an Execute Save function put into place before closing a worksheet for an update. Several hours of work was erased last night, and the update was so kind and went ahead and cleared out my auto-recovery files too. I am livid, seriously livid. Fix this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Dropbox As a storage Space for files as an alternative to OneDrive

Allow Dropbox As a storage Space for files as an alternative to OneDrive

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Renaming directly on File Title

When we try to rename the current working file, we have to use "Save As" or Close file and change name in the file list. How about change name from the File Title directly?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Excel - remember recently used file types on save/save as

We regularly save files as both .xlsx and .pdf types. Obviously .xlsx is at the top of the drop-down list but .pdf is near the bottom. Most of the other types are never used.
    Nice-to-have would be the most frequently used types at the top.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Maximized Excel won't come to the front when opening pinned file

This just started happening within the last week or so.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Declined vs locked suggestions

The entire point of this site is to collect user feedback. I absolutely support your ability to review suggestions, and in some cases, decline them (at least for the foreseeable future).

However, your site is set up in a way that declined suggestions are also locked and do not allow future votes. I'd like to suggest that you leave the voting open on ideas, even if they are declined. Otherwise you are effectively saying that you want feedback on customer needs, but only if it pleases you.

You might find that a declined idea continues to gain so many votes,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. When autosave is on, there should be an option in 'save a copy' to revert changes to the server version

I frequently start a session by opening the previous iteration of an existing file, intending to create a new one. Now that autosave is on by default, I end up overwriting the old version before doing save a copy. Then I have to go to the onedrive.com UI to restore the old version.

What I want is an option in the 'save a copy' experience that will also revert this session's changes to the old file. So that I am back to where I want to be. Over time I could learn to 'save a copy' when I start my…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Open new window

I usually deal with multiple Excel files at the same time. Working multiple files, each in a separate window, is far easier. I know there is a work around to open a new instance of Excel and open the file in that new instance of excel but that adds extra steps. Would very much prefer that Excel worked like Word--by default every file opened in a new window.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Atom TechSoft Excel Password Recovery Software

Atom TechSoft excel password recovery software is the one of experienced tool for excel password recovery because this application has long experience from years .It opened/unlocked locked excel sheet very easily with help of its smart technique .Support all version of ms excel 2016,2013,2010,2007,etc .

For more go here and get application :- https://atsexcelpasswordrecoverysoftware.wordpress.com/

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. xls corrupts upon opening after last update

since the last update, xls files open, flicker, then report either as corrupt or crash excel and (Protected) mode. the file may or may not ever open after this. this only happens on systems with the latest updates installed. having another user save the file as xlsx generally works. this impacts companies that have been using your products for decades. you surely cannot expect us to never be able to open old spreadsheets because you want everyone on 2016 and subscription based. i am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this is a programming error.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Option to open documents in a new instance rather than the current instance (in program settings or via dialog box).

In the current versions of Excel (2010 and later), there is no default way to open Excel documents in separate instances. I am aware that one can use the command

excel /x

in the Run dialog box; however, this is a clunky workaround, which requires extra steps... and is not something your average user would be comfortable doing (many don't even know about the Run dialog to begin with).

I suggest adding an option in the settings that allows users to choose the default behavior for opening documents (same instance or separate), or at least an option to be asked…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Don't show both recent files from OneDrive and local

For every opened file I see two copies in the recent list. Personally I find it annoying and always select a local copy specifically. If needed OneDrive then takes care or even Excel uploads it automatically. But the list itself looks clogged up. This applies to all office apps.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. "Save as" to target folder as simple as dragging a floppy icon to folder already opened in Windows Explorer

Why to navigate again across bunch of folders to "save as" to target folder if you often already have a target folder opened in Windows Explorer window?

Please, make "Save as" to destination folder as simple as dragging a floppy icon to folder which is already opened in Windows Explorer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Don't update the date saved when you've merely viewed a file

Don't update the date saved when you've merely viewed a file and closed it rather than saved it: leave the original saved date.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix the various read-only use cases

There are a number of complaints already posted about opening Excel files stored in SharePoint. Excel 2016 has two issues that are extremely annoying and confusing to end users who don't give a s*** about collaboration or the various other reasons that Microsoft seems to feel make it necessary to opening workbooks a pain. From a user's perspective:

1) having to click a button to edit workbooks they open daily is a productivity impediment. The number of help desk tickets we get about this is also an IT issue that.
    2. If a user is able to open a file…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Return to the previous version open options. I have to got through 3 steps to get to the default folder. I am exasperated with the new Excel

When I go to open a file in Excel 2013, it defaults to recent workbooks. This is OK, but not what I normally need. I need it to default to the last directory and show recent directories. Corporate users update multiple files in multiple directories. I have to go through 3 steps to get to "recent places"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Drag and drop to email

When working on an Excel file I would like to be able to just drag it over and drop it in an open email. Right now I have to close the file then select add attachment. Not the end of the world but it would be helpful to be able to just drag it over.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base