Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow multiple attempts when entering a password

When opening a password protected file, if you type it incorrectly, you have to open the file again and type it in. Similarly, if you click to open the file twice, and type the password correctly, the second file will then open, forcing you to type the password again. If you hit cancel on the second file, the first (correctly authenticated) workbook will close.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel is always asking for credentials on opening a shared document

As a user I don't want to reenter my credentials for a shared Office365-business document/Excel sheet every time on opening them in Word/Excel locally.
    (A user shared a word file in it's tenant for me, using my mail-address of my own tenant. Office will ask me every time for my credentials on opening that file, which it should already know. Opening files from my tenant happens without of any bugging requests for credentials...)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove folder depth limitation when saving

Excel can open files from anywhere, but has an arbitrary limit on the folder depth/number of characters in path, forcing you to save to an intermediate temporary location.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show Recently Used Folders as the Default for Save As Function

Excel used to default to Recently Used Folders when using the Save As function. Please return that option to the Save As Function.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. NEVER revert to saved copy when reopening

When I open a file that is already open in Excel (I lose track of which ones I have open), I NEVER want to reopen that file and discard changes. So instead of showing me that irksome dialog box, Excel should simply BRING the already-open file to the front, just like Word does.

It is too much of a pain to search for that file amongst the many windows I have open with similar names, considering how I've already managed to find it in the File Explorer. Excel knows which one I'm looking for, because it knows it's already open.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Saving Files

Have the ability to save a file in two locations automatically.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. The Export, Publish and Save As menus are for similar actions and should be rationalised

The Export, Publish and Save As (filetype) menus are for similar actions and could be rationalised.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Poder seguir editando el documento A mientras se guarda el documento B.

Normalmente utilizo archivos en intranet compartidos entre equipos.

Cuando edito alguno de ellos lo guardo y me paso al siguiente archivo, pero el problema viene cuando intento pasar del archivo B (el que se esta guardando) al archivo A, no puedo editarlo hasta que se termine de guardar el archivo B.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Every time I open or close a document the "Detail" view appears. I would prefer to change the default view to "List"

When I save, or open a document the default view is in "Detail" view. I prefer to see it in "List" view. I need to change it every time. Is there a way to permanently see it in "List" view rather than "Detail" view. I waste a lot of time with this. It's a nuisance.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Recent Files Shouldn't Display until Ready

The recent files list in Excel takes time to refresh, which often leads to opening an incorrect file, when multiple devices are being used.

The scenario is Excel 2016 Desktop application, two Windows 10 devices, a OneDrive for Business account (on the work computer), and a OneDrive Personal account (on the personal computer). On first opening Excel, it will suggest the last few files I worked on, making it easier and faster for me to get back to work on what I last edited. Great feature! However, Excel will often re-order the position of the files a few seconds after…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Open more than one workbook in different monitors

Frequently, I need to open two excel files and display the spreadsheets on different monitors. Currently, if I open more than one file, only one is viewable at a time. The work around is to open two different excel applications. In Word and PPT, each file opened is a separate application - please add this feature to Excel.
    Thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Can Document Recovery please provide file sizes to help with the decision of which version to keep?

Can Document Recovery please provide file sizes to help with the decision of which version to keep?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Stop overcomplicating Excel

I've worked with Excel multiple years and had never had any issue with files missing. In today's Excel, the simple act of saving a file needs a workflow with a barrage of questions. There are now Save a Copy, do you want the changes on both the original and updated one, do you want to the cloud, your computer, etc. I just want to SAVE what I see on my screen to the same place where I retrieved it with a different file name so I have the original and revised copy. That's all.
    I don't really want to have…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Saving office documents "Add a Place" should include local folders

When saving workbooks or documents the "Add a Place" option should allow selection of a local folder.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Microsoft Office 2016 has dramatically deteriorated my productivity. Excel files are not listed in alphabetical order. BAD IDEA!

I'm sure you've heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". There are plenty of bugs to fix in Excel without having to resort to some imagined "improvement" just for the sake of change and to justify the existence of software engineers. It's hard enough to navigate around the awful new version. Now I can't even find the file I want because the listing is not in alphabetical order. I have to sit there for a long time reading down the list. I have good reasons for wanting an alphabetical listing. It is a logical way to jog my memory…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. AutoSave: Time Options & Macro-Enabled Workbooks

While AutoSave is a great feature, how about a few adjustments:

1. Add a minimum time drop down (in seconds? [10,15,30,45,75,90]), after edits, before the file saves, and overwrites the existing file (yes, even though you can recover through Version History).

Version History, shouldn't have EVERY [AutoSaved] item, it should be limited to when either: Manually saved by the user(s), or when the Workbook is closed.

Note: Excel has AutoRecover, which allows you to set a time (in minutes) that the ActiveWorkbook Saves.

1. Change default to "Off" when ActiveWorkbook is .XLSM (Macro-Enabled Workbook) or when VBA Editor is opened; and if…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Stop disabling AutoRecover on Excel 2016 files, leave this an option for all files

Stop disabling AutoRecover on Excel files. This should remain an option for everyone regardless of where the file is saved. Then it is being disabled without the users' knowledge. It is annoying and frustrating to work on a file for hours then Excel crashes. You get Excel back open, only to find the file was not recovered and no auto saves, so hours of work is lost. I then look at the file to find the auto recover feature has been disabled and now grayed out and I am unable to turn it back on. Why was this done, this…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Save to PDF name reset

When saving to PDF, filename gets shortened if 'Optimize for' option is changed and/or 'Options' button pressed. It does not happen if an existing filename is highlighted in the file browsing pane

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I used to be able to open the same worksheet on twice, one read-only, and compare them. 2016 version will not allow this.

I used to be able to open the same worksheet on twice, one read-only, and compare them. 2016 version will not allow this.

Also, it would be helpful to have a ruler function to help read down large amounts of data. Something easier on the eyes to identify data on rows.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base