Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Saving a file in multipule locations using the 'save' function - i.e. ability to setup multipule save locations as required

When 'saving' a file, my suggestion is to allow an option where you can establish more than a single location, or format for that file to be saved, When clicking the 'save' function, then the file will be saved to all of your required locations and in the format wanted. This would be in addition to 'File History', and 'Cloud' saves, i.e. flash drive, external drive, or web location.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add 'Last Saved' time and date to status bar

Adding the time last saved to the status bar would help users remember to save their work more frequently.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export to standards-compliant HTML (HTML5, CSS3, etc.)

So, Excel supports exporting worksheets to HTML. But the HTML format to which Excel exports is still the outdated IE6 format! And there is no DOCTYPE on it either.

Please, it is 2017 already! Upgrade to standard-compliant HTML, using HTML5, CSS3, etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. save XLW-files

As I remember from XL2003, I always had the possibility to save serveral files - spread across different folders - as one single workspace in an xlw-file.

This is a very useful ability, but I don't find it in XL2016.

I have to add an additional file to an existing workspace, but I cannot see any possibility to save the whole group of files as a new workspace.

Why?

Where did MS hide this feature in XL2016?

How can I save workspaces as xlw-files? I don't want to collect all the files needed for a certain project manually step by…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Get rid of the dire Backstage screens and go back to the old Save As or File Open boxes.

Get rid of the dire Backstage screens and go back to the old Save As or File Open boxes.

The new lists of recently used files that appear on the Backstage are about as intuitive as a box of dead cockroaches. Today's example, I have 2 files open, both opened from the current month's folder, I open a 3rd file from last month's folder to save in the current month, and yet the current month folder is nowhere to be seen on the Backstage lists.
    It is pathetic. Then I have to click browse to open up the familiar Save…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fixing automatic updates crashing excel files

It is INCREDIBLY frustrating that MS automatically installs updates when an Office 365 file is open and that causes it to crash Excel and create an autorecover version that then won't Sync with my OneDrive. Come on.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. enable adding of notes to versions

the robust versioning functionality is awesome. It would be great if you could add a note icon on each version and then cliciking it would open a note pad that would auto timestamp whenever you make an entry to the note on that version - like this is the version where I added the assumption about increasing tomato juice production...etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. csv

Putting a option to change delimiter and separator on save as CSV. Not using Windows default separator. Do like LibreOffice, it have option to save file with or without delimiters and to change separators.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Auto Save like online and most new applications

I am accustomed to working with tools online where it seems everything is saved the moment I change it. Excel online does, please make Excel on my desktop save. I use to have a great habit of ctrl-s to save every few minutes. Applications save constantly and I have lost my good habits. Please bring Excel into the modern application realm and have it auto save as a norm.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add Status for workbooks not in AutoSave mode

When workbooks are in AutoSave mode, the title bar has "Save Pending" or "Saved" in the status bar to give you a clue what status the workbook is in.

When AutoSave is disabled - either manually, or it isn't supported with some features or some locations, it would be nice to have the status then too. "Unsaved changes" or "Saved" for example.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. I keep 25 files in the pinned list. Having them re-sorted each time they are opened is VERY inefficient! Why did you ever make such a stup

I keep 25 files in the pinned list. Having them re-sorted each time they are opened is VERY inefficient! Why did you ever make such a stupid change? MS always talks about increasing productivity - this change (of re-sorting the pinned list based upon usage date/time) causes me to be VERY unproductive!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Recent Folders List when saving files

When I go into recent folders to save a file, excel 2013 does not put my most recent folder at the at the top of the list. I feel like it makes sense to put my most recent folder at the top of the list. In fact, I just saved files into a folder 8 times and that folder still hasn't shown up on my recent folders list at all. I cannot figure out how excel picks which folders to put on the recent folder list if it isn't something I just went in several times.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. rename version labels in activity list

similarly to how you enable the ability to rename the steps of a query, the same ability should be given to the version - where instead of "fred saved the file" I could add "added tomato juice prod increase 20%"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add "Favorites" Location to Make Opening Favorite Files Easier

When opening a file the options available are: Recent, Shared with Me, OneDrive, This PC, Add a Place, and Browse.

Would it be possible to add a Favorites folder such that if a file is selected as a Favorite it is easily found and can be easier to open.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. automatically save .csv file as xls

is there a way to automatically save a cvs file to a xls file without having to go to File Save As and then changing the file type?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Export / save copy as [csv, etc], keep workbook format as excel

I have nicely formatted data in .xlsx format, but wants to export to .csv for consumption elsewhere.

It is possible, using the "save as", but that will trigger a long series of dialogs asking if I want to switch format for workbook, which I don't want.

I propose adding more choices to "export", basically same choices as in "save as," but which will save a copy, keeping your open document in original format.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Excel to Export or Saveas to JSON format

Currently there is no option of saving excel file to JSON format, we need to use online or third party tool to do this.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Having recovered documents that don't show their relative saved dates is useless. When I see "Version created last time...", that's annoying

Make Excel display save dates for ALL recovered files; "Version created last time use saved the file..." is a waste of time...

Separate out the recovered files, and group them according to name the same as if they were in a bulleted list, that way, I know what I'm looking at when there are 10+ of them...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Change new window position

After opening an Excel file and positioning and sizing its window at the bottom left of the desktop (with about 1/4" of desktop showing at the top), when a new Workbook is created or an(other) existing workbook file is opened, it is positioned below and to the right of the existing window, causing all the worksheet tabs to be below (and behind) the task bar.

Please add an option which allows the user to set how new / existing windows will be positioned, such as 10 pixels to the right and 0 pixels down. The defaults can be whatever is…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base