Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make "Discard Changes" Less ambiguous

When opening a file from the server while i've been offline, sometimes I get an error saying that someone has made changes. The message says "Your file wasn't uploaded because your changes can't be merged with changes made by someone else."

Then it asks me if I want to "Discard Changes". Whos Changes? Mine or theirs? The button should be changed to something like "Discard My Changes" or "Discard Their Changes" not just "Discard Changes"

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add warning If a user creates a new TAB in imported CSV file

File was CSV and allowed creation of a new TAB which should not be supported in CSV file.
    If you create a TAB in 64 bit latest version it saves the TAB you are on and erases the original tab
    in 32 bit version it erases the new TAB and saves the original tab.

User thought they were saving in XLS(X) format but was using CSV file and creating TABS. No pop-up or warnings were given.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please allow password protection of an Excel file on Excel for iPad! Very important!

Please create a way to password protect a file with Excel for iPad so no one can open it without the password. Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Have all Excel 2016 documents open full screen, not lower on the screen

When I have an excel 2016 document open, and then open another Excel document, the 2nd document sits about 1 inch lower on the screen and I can't see the tabs. I have to manually move the document up the screen.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Size od PDF files exported

When saving XLS file to PDF (through "XPS and PDF" functiton), the final size of the file saved in Excel 2016 is much bigger than in previous versions (and also than the size of originial file). Actually, I saved XLS file (7 pages, 134.656 bytes), to PDF file with the size of 624.132 bytes!
    It was very usefull function, but due to abnormal size I have to re-save each file again to receive "normal" size. Please could you check and repair it?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow the option to list pinned files either alphabetically or by recent use.

Excel 2016 switched the order of the pinned files from alphabetical to most recently used. IMHO, that was a big improvement. Apparent;y that change has been reversed.

Pre-2016 I only pinned 4 of 5 files that were hard to find or only used monthly. Files I used Daily I pulled from the recently used files.

In 2016 I switched to pinning about 20 files. The ones I used daily or weekly are always near the top. The ones I use monthly are farther down but easier to find than going to the various directories.

For me, going back to the…

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow me to pin more than 11 of anything to the taskbar ( excell, word doc, file folders...)

In 2013, we could pin 27 recently viewed documents, or file folders to the taskbar and this was great. In the office 2016 version, I can only pin 11 items. This is really awful since this is where I open most of my documents rather than hunting down the folder for them. please increase this number rather than reducing it. Thank you for listening.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Get numbers back to Most Recently Used instead of "Y3"

In the last update of Word, Excel and Powerpoint the Most Recently Used file list has changed with respect to shortcut keys. Instead of being able to use "Alt+F => R => [number 1 to 9]" you have to type "Y3" to get the first file in the list. This is completly useless and in no way an improvement.

Please bring back the ability to number them from "1" instead of "Y3"

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option of opening new file in current instance or new instance (dual monitor support)

When a file is opened it automatically opens in the same instance which does not allow you to have two workbooks side by side on two monitors (without manually dragging the excel window across two monitors every time).

I know you can manually open a new instance of excel but when opening a file it seems to randomly choose which instance it opens in, sometimes both files are in the same instance which is useless for what is needed.

Manually finding the file through the open command it not useful either due to large numbers of files being from outlook…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. allow multiple files on one program

like on older version excel 2010 and older you can work multiple worksheet in one program.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Restore the Open Recent Files icon in QAT

I have Excel 2016 on 2 computers. The one with the older build allows me to put the icon for "Open Recent Files" in the Quick Access Toolbar but the most recent one took this away. It is available in version 1611, build 7571.2109 but is not allowed in version 1612, build 7668.2074. Attached is a screen print from the older build showing it. I use this function constantly and it is a real pain not to have it available anymore. Please add this back in.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. While opening existing excel file, it opens two file one the file I opened and one blank file.

Using Excel 2016. After recent update I am facing issue.

While opening existing excel file, it opens two files one the file I opened and one blank file.

Please fix this.
    Thanks

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Request you save and close

We often make use of shared workbooks, but often we desire to turn this off leading to the old read-only and be notified situation. Can we have a button that requests the R/W user close down so that the RO user can make some changes. Often the open file such as a drawing register isn't being used and left open accidentally

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. "Recent" documents

Opening documents in Excel Online doesn't add it to my "Recents" list in the start menu. This is where I open many of my documents rather than going through the drive directory to find my documents, it's quicker and simpler and so I am now finding that most of the time I open a document it opens in Excel Online, then I have to open it in the full excel format so that it adds it to my "Recents" list. Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow Read only mode again as an option when opening files from Onedrive/Sharepoint

Since the recent update to allow real time collaboration, when opening a file from SharePoint or Onedrive the file now opens in edit mode automatically. This would be great if there wasn't a "feature" that anyone filtering a sheet automatically applies to others in the same sheet. Often not everyone wants to edit a file, they just want to view it - I now see no option for this. In my organisation this is a very annoying issue as we often have a need for multiple people to be reading the same sheet (but not editing) who would wish to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add a SEARCH box to the File|Open|Recent menu

I have a looooong list of files in my Recent screen when I try to open a file. I should be able to search to quickly get what I need vs scrolling to find it.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Saving workspace as xlw-file

As I remember from XL2003, I always had the possibility to save serveral files - spread across different folders - as one single workspace in an xlw-file.

This is a very useful ability, but I don't find it in XL2016.

I have to add an additional file to an existing workspace, but I cannot see any possibility to save the whole group of files as a new workspace.

Why?

Where did MS hide this feature in XL2016?

How can I save workspaces as xlw-files? I don't want to collect all the files needed for a certain project manually step by…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Saving a file in multipule locations using the 'save' function - i.e. ability to setup multipule save locations as required

When 'saving' a file, my suggestion is to allow an option where you can establish more than a single location, or format for that file to be saved, When clicking the 'save' function, then the file will be saved to all of your required locations and in the format wanted. This would be in addition to 'File History', and 'Cloud' saves, i.e. flash drive, external drive, or web location.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add 'Last Saved' time and date to status bar

Adding the time last saved to the status bar would help users remember to save their work more frequently.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Export to standards-compliant HTML (HTML5, CSS3, etc.)

So, Excel supports exporting worksheets to HTML. But the HTML format to which Excel exports is still the outdated IE6 format! And there is no DOCTYPE on it either.

Please, it is 2017 already! Upgrade to standard-compliant HTML, using HTML5, CSS3, etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base