Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hyperlinking the preferred PowerPoint slide in Excel

I want to open the preferred slide in the PowerPoint deck by clicking the hyperlink in the Excel file. It would be great if we can create a hyperlink to the specific PPT slide in Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. No Wi-Fi use of Office

I often copy files from my home PC to a USB stick so that I can work on them with laptops at cabin - no internet access there. Why can't I configure Excel, Word, etc. to not use OneDrive?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "TIME TRAVEL" FEATURE.

Excel To include with time travel feature.This will facilitate to access back the file even if saved for erroneous data which will enable to access file for previous times status like 5min, 10min, 15min etc. back or before. In this way even file saved with heavy mistakes can be retrieved back to previous status and can be utilised for further work without redoing as whole.It is like restore to some known good configuration as in windows registry.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable date and time shortcut in file saving window

I majorly work on one main master file, i used to update very frequently.
    While saving file name i use date or time at the end of file name to find the recent one. If you enable shortcuts "Ctrl" + ";" for date and "Ctrl" + "Shift" + ";" for time which will be so useful for me.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. How do I prevent Excel from redisplaying multiple minimized open documents when opening a new document?

Excel 365, minimized workbook pops up when opening another workbook from explorer.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Excel 2019 / 365 file corrupt issue

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msowin10-mso_o365b/power-query-solutions-for-vertical-column-data-to/978a23da-3f4c-460e-ba99-bd31141b8095?messageId=ee538783-6197-4353-bc92-e46bb824b13e

Recently I have been getting File corrupt errors when I try to open files created in 2019.

There are several files to download in the above link.

The last one, in Andreas reply 2020 07 28 4:52 AM.

He created it in 2019.
    I downloaded, tried to open in 365 ... File corrupt error
    Opened it Excel 2010 no problem ... WTF!
    SAVE As to a new file name, no other changes
    Opened the new file name in Excel 365 no problem ... ???

Excel 365 Version 2006 (Build 13001.20384 Click-to-Run)
    Excel 365 PowerQuery Run) Version 2.82.5858.241…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add a CSV mode

Excel is currently designed so that the CSV file format is not an Excel file format. The "Open" and "Save" functions make this clear.

However, if Excel had a "CSV mode", it could be the world's leading CSV editor. Such a mode would be able to be associated with .csv files and would remove all the Excel features that create data that cannot be saved in the CSV format. While in this mode, the file would by default be saved as a CSV.

If a user wanted to use Excel's full functionality with the file, they would need to enable…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. When excel opens you should show PINNED files before showing RECENT files; what's the point of having pinned items? Am I missing something

Open excel showing PINNED files first. What's the point of showing RECENT files before showing PINNED files? that's totally inefficient and illogical. Or, am I missing some setting to fix that problem. If so where's the setting?

You have recent files all over the place, like Quick access etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Different background colour on Pinned items

On file, open, recent, make pinned folders or worksheets stand out more clearly by having different background colour

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Autosave & Save: Incremental

Improve Autosave feature so that there is an option to autosave to hard drive and not the default of One Drive. Some don't have that option and others like myself don't want to save valuable data to the cloud!

Add an option to both autosave and save to enable incremental backups. So that when you save you not only save as per normal, but you also save a backup and save the backup file as an incremental save adding (1) (for example ) to the filename.

This gives you a current save with which you continue to work with and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Seleccion todas las hojas

Necesitamos un Comando para Seleccionar todas las hojas del Libro y copiarlas en otro Libro.
    Esto sirve para respaldar los archivos de Excel importantes que pueden llegar a dañarse
    Asi tenemos una copia PERIODICA con todos nuestra Base de Datos

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make Excel provide the reason it couldn't open a "corrupt" .ods file

Hi,
    I'm creating a public C++ library [1] to CRUD .ods files, and while LibreOffice works great, MS Excel usually fails to open the .ods files generated by my library by just saying it was corrupt. It would be very helpful if it provided the reason it thinks the file is corrupt to make MS Excel compatible with my library's output .ods files.

[1] https://github.com/f35f22fan/Ods2

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Option to disable auto-recover........please!

I know the auto-save feature has been around for years now, but I'm finally done with it. I can't remember a single time where it's saved me from disaster. But I can tell you I've wasted countless minutes over the years trying to manage additional versions of the same file. In almost all cases I discover the auto-recovered file is the same as the original anyway. Time wasted - Yes; Lost data recovered - None! Please give us an option to turn auto-recover off!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. RENCANA ANGGARAN BIAYA

AGAR LEBIH MUDAH DALAM MENYUSUN LAPORAN ANGGARAN BAGI CUSTOMER

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Use default windows explorer for saving files. Your unique UI sucks ***

Your Save / Save As UI is terrible. Why did you create something new when you could've defaulted to an experience 100% of your users are already familiar with?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Excel Save As - Does not work unless 'More options...' selected! because read-only

Save As - Does not work unless 'More options...' selected!

I tried saving this file as, but when I select the correct file in the new Microsoft Excel interface, it says read-only.

However, I just need to select 'More options...'

I think this is a bug guys!!

Slan!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Excel Save As - Does not work unless 'More options...' selected! because read-only

I tried saving this file as, but when I select the correct file in the new Microsoft Excel interface, it says read-only.

Slan!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Excel Save As - Does not work unless 'More options...' selected! because read-only

Slan!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base