Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Eliminate the new "Save your changes to this file?" dialog box

In the last week, whenever I close down a new Excel file without saving it, a new dialog box appears asking "Save changes to this file?". Whereas previously I could use keyboard shortcuts to immediately close down a file (Ctrl-F4, N), this no longer works. Instead, the new box interprets the "N" keypress as something to be entered into the "File Name" text field.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Turn OFF AutoSave feature permanently

I'm frequently using saved files as templates. With the new AutoSave function my old files get overwritten as soon as I start editing the file. I have to save the new one immediately with another name otherwise I'll loose the old one. This is annoying.
    Pleas allow to deactivate AutoSave function in the Option settings.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option To Refresh Stock Data When File Opens

It would be terrific to have the option on a per-file basis to automatically refresh our Stock data types when our workbooks open. I would envision this being a similar functionality to what we have available to us in the Pivot Table options.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Introduce a feature which enables recovery of deleted content even after saving, so that deleted content can be recovered

it will help recovering deleted content as sometimes we delete some content temporarily but we don't get it back, so to resolve it you must introduce this feature

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add 'Open as read-only' back to the context menu of Excel files

Old versions of Excel had this option and I liked it. If I need to look at a file without modifying it, I want to be able to directly open it as read-only.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Eliminate 2 step process to opening files

Eliminate 2 step process to opening files. file open should bring you directly to folder path without having to also press browse.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Stop asking to save changes if nothing has changed

You open and Excel file and look at it for a moment then click Close. Excel pops up a dialog "Want to save your changes?". I didn't change anything! Please stop asking to save changes when nothing has changed. It confuses the user.

This is made worse if I've has that spreadsheet open for a long time and I don't remember if I changed it or not. Or worse, there may be other people working on the same file and if I say "Save", I overwrite their changes.

I heard that this has to do with Excel saving the current…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. make "recent files" screen an option when starting Excel, instead of start screen

have no use for the start screen. operate via recent files all the time. I can disable the start screen upon excel opening, but then i always end up with an unneeded blank document which stays open after i've opened the doc i need.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. My biggest annoyance with this program is that it opens the last minimize Excel file when you open a new Excel file.

I would like Excel to open the new excel file without restoring the previously minimize Excel file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. CSV saving from Excel with commas not semicolons

When I save my file using the "CSV UTF-8 comma delimited" my file does not save using commas.
    When I upload it to PowerBI, it is recognized only when I switch the type of input file from commas to semicolons.
    It seems to be happening with my non English version of Excel (I use the French one), but my colleague in Ireland using the English version has no problem with this, and can save the file using commas and it will indeed use commas.
    Would be nice to look into it to fix it :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Save as option when right click on the sheet tab

I want to be able to save a single sheet(or just selected sheets) to a new file - if I have many sheets I need to delete the ones I do not need after saving to a new file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I need to open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Always create a copy

Word has it! A global setting to Always Save A Copy. Setting this in Excel result in the same behaviour i.e. Excel would create a backup copy of the file being overwritten with a Save, allowing the user to revert changes if required.

Ideally, such a feature would support multiple versions as an option i.e. Backup copies to save = x would create copies with a filename that includes a version number to the maximum number set in that variable.

I mean, who hasn't had an experience of overwriting hours of work, right?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. File - -> Save As - - > Values

In my current project I need to have a Data file with all my formulae and a report file containing only the values minus the formulae.

My suggestion is that instead of copying data and pasting as Values or using VBA scripts, can we have a Save As Value file? This would make it very easy to only save the contents/values of a file and while keeping the original one intact.

Currently files loaded with formulae take forever to open and filter. Copy pasting works but that's a few extra steps. If there was a direct way it would make…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Need the ability to open multiple Excel files in a single instance (window) of Excel. It provides a much better experience when linking.

Allow multiple files to be open at one time again. This provides a better experience when linking among multiple files, as well as when you have to open, and look at, many files and would like them to be viewed one after the other, without having to configure each window every time, such as size, ribbon hidden, etc...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Remove the unused space in the File Open Recent dialog to allow long file names

The File Open (Recent) dialog shows :

- a vertical scroll bar and
    - an empty/unused space on the right hand

The scroll bar has a fixed position.
    Therefore long file names are truncated.

So far no-one can tall what this empty space is being used for.

My suggestion is to
    either
    - allow users to move the vertical scroll bar more to the right
    or
    - better, to remove the empty space.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Nhờ a(c) giúp mình với. mình muốn kiểm tra giáo viên nhập đúng diểm không thì làm như thế nào. ví dụ xếp loại tốt cột điểm phải là 9; 10

muồn lập công thức kiểm tra vi dụ môn toán, mức đạt được T, điểm 9; 10; H điểm 5; 6; 7; 8; C điểm 1-4. mình lập hàm =or(and(E1="T",F1>8
    ),or(and(E1="H",4<f1<9),or(E1="C",F1<5),truê,false))) sao lại không đúng. xin cam ơn nhiều

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Show More Error Details for Auto-Restored Excel Files

When Excel automatically restores a "crashed" file, and you attempt to save that file, a warning about errors is displayed. You can view the log file directly from the warning, but the log file contains the same amount of error statement wording. It would be helpful to receive more details.

In my case, the warning was:
    "One or more invalid conditional formats were removed from the workbook"

It would be beneficial to know what cells had their invalid formats removed and what the invalid format rules were.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Multiple Backups

More and more I'm opening my files with my macros and getting "missing library" or even worse, not being able to recover the coding.

I finally did a macro to replace the "backup of" system excel uses:

It keeps a big number of backup versions using this format (I use a variable inside the macro. Right now is 12). I will end with 12 backups, and they will be recycle, one by one:
    AUTORECOVER-1-file name.XLSB
    AUTORECOVER-2-file name.XLSB
    AUTORECOVER-3-file name.XLSB
    AUTORECOVER-12-file name.XLSB

Macro

Sub BACKUP_SYSTEM()
    ' ---------------------------------------------
    XNUM_OF_BACKUPS = 12

XFOLDER = UCase(ActiveWorkbook.Path)
    XWORKBOOK = UCase(ActiveWorkbook.Name)

If InStr(XWORKBOOK,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. allow spreadsheets to be saved as an application (like an app)

I want an application and a database for a buissness. I want the spreadsheet to be identical to the database and I want multiple users to use it at the same time so when one person changes something it updates quietly in the background

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base