Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Turn OFF AutoSave feature permanently

I'm frequently using saved files as templates. With the new AutoSave function my old files get overwritten as soon as I start editing the file. I have to save the new one immediately with another name otherwise I'll loose the old one. This is annoying.
    Pleas allow to deactivate AutoSave function in the Option settings.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Eliminate 2 step process to opening files

Eliminate 2 step process to opening files. file open should bring you directly to folder path without having to also press browse.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Stop asking to save changes if nothing has changed

You open and Excel file and look at it for a moment then click Close. Excel pops up a dialog "Want to save your changes?". I didn't change anything! Please stop asking to save changes when nothing has changed. It confuses the user.

This is made worse if I've has that spreadsheet open for a long time and I don't remember if I changed it or not. Or worse, there may be other people working on the same file and if I say "Save", I overwrite their changes.

I heard that this has to do with Excel saving the current…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Save as option when right click on the sheet tab

I want to be able to save a single sheet(or just selected sheets) to a new file - if I have many sheets I need to delete the ones I do not need after saving to a new file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I need to open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Remember Excel window size and location

Excel should either automatically or via an option, open in the size and location it was last closed. Every time I run Excel the first thing I have to do is reposition and resize the window.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Turn off calculations option/text only.

In my line of work (software testing), we use Excel to write test cases. In some cases, the files can become quite large (300-600 rows), and even though there is only text in the cells, Excel can become quite resource-laden and will sometimes become wholly unresponsive.

Maybe there should be an option to create workbooks without calculations and only textual values in the cells, or to turn calculations off and only display the entered value in cells. I can envision this helping with developing templates or other "Spreadsheet" or list-creating activities. Then provide the option to turn on calculations if…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. My biggest annoyance with this program is that it opens the last minimize Excel file when you open a new Excel file.

I would like Excel to open the new excel file without restoring the previously minimize Excel file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. File - -> Save As - - > Values

In my current project I need to have a Data file with all my formulae and a report file containing only the values minus the formulae.

My suggestion is that instead of copying data and pasting as Values or using VBA scripts, can we have a Save As Value file? This would make it very easy to only save the contents/values of a file and while keeping the original one intact.

Currently files loaded with formulae take forever to open and filter. Copy pasting works but that's a few extra steps. If there was a direct way it would make…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Open multiple files with the same file name

Allow excel to open files with the same name but different location at the same time

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make file browsing consistent between local drives and OneDrive/SharePoint locations

When opening files in Excel (or other Office programs) the browsing behaviour between local drives and SharePoint/OneDrive locations is different.

When opening a file from a local drive the file browsing works like in File Explorer:
    - single clicking a file results in a highlight/select the file
    - typing characters allows you to position yourself in potentially long lists
    - double-click opens the file

When browsing through the OneDrive or SharePoint locations the behaviour is different:
    - single clicking results in immediately opening the file
    - using the keyboard to position or search for filenames in the list is impossible

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Remove the unused space in the File Open Recent dialog to allow long file names

The File Open (Recent) dialog shows :

- a vertical scroll bar and
    - an empty/unused space on the right hand

The scroll bar has a fixed position.
    Therefore long file names are truncated.

So far no-one can tall what this empty space is being used for.

My suggestion is to
    either
    - allow users to move the vertical scroll bar more to the right
    or
    - better, to remove the empty space.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Save Changes

The new Save changes dialog that appears when you close without saving, add more location options. You've added an additional click through to get the typical save dialog. This is in-efficient.

Dont mind the new style but would like more locations options. Would like any options that are generally available below the "This PC" on the typical explorer save dialog. Bonus points for being able to pin a location to the menu for frequent use.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Increase Excel filename limits

Microsoft advertise that they have given us a godlike 400 character limit in OneDrive and SharePoint. Sounds good...Until you find out that not one of the Office applications supports more than 259 characters, and Excel is the clear winner at 218. Thats HALF. Not a bit less, HALF. This is borderline fraudulent, I have had customers who couldn' go to Sharepoint because of the file name limits, and after wasting a load of money on Migrations and setting up Sharepoint, all because Microsoft told us we can have 400 characters in a name, we have to revert everything back. For…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Restore MDI

Please bring Excel back to how it was prior to the 2016 version. Open only one instance of Excel for all spreadsheets. Have one Ribbon for all of them. Open all windows the same size of all others. Make split view work again. Enough of the 1,000 clicks we have to do more each day because of this SDI very bad idea.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Increase the file path length to more than 218 characters

Incresaing the character count in the file path matching with Excel online would be fitting. Or even more. It seems crazy that Excel can't open a valid file that the filesystem allows. People have been complaining about this since Office 2000. The thread below has over 11 thousand views and there are plenty others. Please fix this.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Open SharePoint hyperlinks in native application

A hyperlink to a an Excel file saved in SharePoint opens the file in the browser and the macros associated with the file do not function in the online environment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. More difficult to find the recent files

Bring back the Recent options from the file menu. Now I have to go to the Open Menu

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Show all file types in the open file screen (text, csv, tsv)

Show all file types in the open file window.

Currently only xls xlsx are shown.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Work file Autosave option to desktop

Introduce work file auto save option to desktop preferred location

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base