Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Eliminate the new "Save your changes to this file?" dialog box

In the last week, whenever I close down a new Excel file without saving it, a new dialog box appears asking "Save changes to this file?". Whereas previously I could use keyboard shortcuts to immediately close down a file (Ctrl-F4, N), this no longer works. Instead, the new box interprets the "N" keypress as something to be entered into the "File Name" text field.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Turn OFF AutoSave feature permanently

I'm frequently using saved files as templates. With the new AutoSave function my old files get overwritten as soon as I start editing the file. I have to save the new one immediately with another name otherwise I'll loose the old one. This is annoying.
    Pleas allow to deactivate AutoSave function in the Option settings.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use ISO8601 when exporting dates to CSV files

When exporting to a CSV file, it would be best to export dates in ISO8601 format (or a specific date format if the user has set one). CSV is about making things machine readable and this avoids the ambiguity of American vs British date formats. I regularly deal with local councils and they will export a CSV file from Excel and then be very confused as to why the date format has changed when they've explicitly set it. If you can't preserve their chosen format, please default to ISO8601 to reduce headaches.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Open Excel at the pinned list

Make it possible to open Excel at the pinned list rather that the recent files list

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Option To Refresh Stock Data When File Opens

It would be terrific to have the option on a per-file basis to automatically refresh our Stock data types when our workbooks open. I would envision this being a similar functionality to what we have available to us in the Pivot Table options.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. FILE | OPEN menu and screen

Just got updated and the pinned items on the File|Open screen got bigger causing the non-pinned items to shove off the screen.

Here's the thing: There's a whole right half of that screen that is not used for anything. Nothing.

I'd like the pinned items to display to the right and non-pinned MRU list type items to display to the left. So File and its weird submenu, a couple inches non-pinned half the remainder, pinned the other half of the remainder.

Or switch pinned and non-pinned, though I'd prefer the above.

But not the world of scroll six feet down…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Show the actual character count when filepath length exceeds the 218 character count

We have to deal with the limitation that the full filename (including path) cannot exceed 218 characters. When it happens, we get an error message describing the issue (sort of); could you include the "current" character count so we can remove only the necessary characters instead of guessing?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. allow spreadsheets to be saved as an application (like an app)

I want an application and a database for a buissness. I want the spreadsheet to be identical to the database and I want multiple users to use it at the same time so when one person changes something it updates quietly in the background

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. create file shortcut on desktop

Please restore the ability to "create shortcut on desktop" directly from the file manager. It was so handy. Now i have to create a shortcut, then copy or move it to the desktop.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add 'Open as read-only' back to the context menu of Excel files

Old versions of Excel had this option and I liked it. If I need to look at a file without modifying it, I want to be able to directly open it as read-only.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Introduce a feature which enables recovery of deleted content even after saving, so that deleted content can be recovered

it will help recovering deleted content as sometimes we delete some content temporarily but we don't get it back, so to resolve it you must introduce this feature

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Way to disable greetings

Excel started to "greet" me recently and home page is showing template list.
    I have disabled showing of templates from startup so this is supper annoying.
    How do I stop both things? Excel does not know me so don't tell me "Good morning" or such.
    This just craps on my screen and covers with junk forcing me to use extra clicks to get to things. I want to see the real list of pinned items/ last accessed ones - and in this order.
    95% of the time I use only pinned items and last access time is not relevant to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. make "recent files" screen an option when starting Excel, instead of start screen

have no use for the start screen. operate via recent files all the time. I can disable the start screen upon excel opening, but then i always end up with an unneeded blank document which stays open after i've opened the doc i need.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. save all files

There should be an option to save ALL open files at once. This way if you're working across multiple files you don't have to go through and save each individually.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Show path where spreadsheet has been saved alongside filename at top of spreadsheet.

Show path where spreadsheet has been saved alongside filename at top of spreadsheet. Doing so will immediately eliminate uncertainty of where a file has been saved and make for a more efficient and friendly user experience by having the ability to check at a glance.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. convert excel to pdf with specific cells as bookmarks

convert excel to pdf with specific cells as bookmarks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Eliminate 2 step process to opening files

Eliminate 2 step process to opening files. file open should bring you directly to folder path without having to also press browse.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. In general for all of office 365: Microsoft seems to dynamically verify licensing and if for some reason the license becomes invalid it is

In general for all of office 365: Microsoft seems to dynamically verify licensing and if for some reason the license becomes invalid it is not possible to save a file, even if the license dynamically becomes valid again. Since a license can become temporarily invalid due to a Microsoft update, or some other glitch in the licensing system, this means work started and changed while the license was valid is lost since you must close and restart the application to reactivate a license which was previously valid. At the very least there needs to be some means of saving and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. CSV saving from Excel with commas not semicolons

When I save my file using the "CSV UTF-8 comma delimited" my file does not save using commas.
    When I upload it to PowerBI, it is recognized only when I switch the type of input file from commas to semicolons.
    It seems to be happening with my non English version of Excel (I use the French one), but my colleague in Ireland using the English version has no problem with this, and can save the file using commas and it will indeed use commas.
    Would be nice to look into it to fix it :)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Show More Error Details for Auto-Restored Excel Files

When Excel automatically restores a "crashed" file, and you attempt to save that file, a warning about errors is displayed. You can view the log file directly from the warning, but the log file contains the same amount of error statement wording. It would be helpful to receive more details.

In my case, the warning was:
    "One or more invalid conditional formats were removed from the workbook"

It would be beneficial to know what cells had their invalid formats removed and what the invalid format rules were.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base