Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When opening an excel file, always show the sheet from cell A1 and not somewhere in the middle

I'd like to suggest the function when opening a excel file, the sheet should always show cell A1 in order to avoid the mistake to think the sheet is empty, eventhough it's not. When the sheet is moved and no content is available, a person which is not familiar with the file, could think that the file is empty, eventhough it's not!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. How do I prevent Excel from redisplaying multiple minimized open documents when opening a new document?

Excel 365, minimized workbook pops up when opening another workbook from explorer.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix bug where the Related Dates under Info is wrong when the document is created either on desctop och in a folder

When an excel-document is created either in a folder or on the desktop by using using right mouse click then New Microsoft Excel Sheet, then the date is wrong. Not only in my Excel in others too. Serious problem when satisfying version history relating to certain quality standards such as ISO 27001

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. CSV Save Warning When you Have Multiple Sheets

If you download a CSV file and add new sheets, I have accidentally saved the file in the current CSV file, thereby losing all sheets beyond "Sheet 1".

A simple warning box, applying when you are saving a CSV file with multiple sheets would suffice. It could also suggest saving in XLS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create utility to trim unused rows and columns

Oftentimes workbooks get to be huge, because for some reason on some tab the number of columns gets close to 16,384 and/or the number of rows gets close to 1,048,576, and even though most of those at the end are unused, they still cost megabytes in file saze. Create a utility that looks for empty rows at the bottom of every tab, empty columns on the right of every tabs, and eliminates them.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. If someone asks HOW TO set EXCEL to NOT MAXIMIZED ( or full screen )

Tell them to use LEFT CLICK and select SIZE then drag the tiny box tat that is their excel file, first down and the sideways to make it the size they want. Because FULL SCREEN, or a tiny box at the top of the monitor is what they have, and NOWHERE does any help mention "SIZE" as the way to un-FULLSCREEN the file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please don't require the user to 'save'/'save as' when closing a blank worksheet which has not been edited in any way

When i open excel, it opens a blank worksheet. If i then close that, i automatically get a dialog box to save/save as or not save it - even though it has no content and has not been edited. Can this be eliminated so that if i am closing an unedited file, i am not asked to save it?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Display message on file open without using AutoOpen macro

If I need to display a message to other users of a file when it opens, I need to use an AutoOpen macro to display a dialog box. However this means I need to save it as an xlsm, have the users enable macros, set trust settings etc. It would be nice if alternately you could configure a simple unformatted text message plus OK button that is displayed when a user opens a file, yet the file is still an xlsx and no other macro enable steps are required.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. suggestion to provide button for deleting a misspelled file name while resaving the file

When i save a file initially i save it in a temporary name or may be even mispell the file name out of error. so i normally go back to save as and rename the file to save it under the correct name. so it would be good to have excel feature in the save as tab to delete older/ mispelled files.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Opening files with the same name.

I would like to be able to open files with the same name belonging to different directories at the same time. I consider it to be an indispensable feature.
    Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Give us the option of using MDI or SDI

Let us have the option of choosing which interface we want to use, MDI or SDI. What is the purpose behind SDI??

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Don't ask for confirmation when closing a CSV file that hasn't changed

Pretty much all banks allow downloads to .csv files, so at the end of the month I often have a few such files open at the same time. To see content I select all and double-click to widen all columns. Then when I close the files I have to answer "don't save" to each one in turn.

This is a waste of time as I haven't changed any data, and column-widths can't be saved in a .csv file.

Can you please change excel so that it doesn't ask that question if a .csv file is being closed without having changed…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bring back 'SAVE AS" so I can DO MY WORK !!!!!!!

Bring back "SAVE AS" so I can DO MY WORK !!!!!!!!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Continuous Visibility of Password Entering Window for Locked Excel Files

If an excel file is locked and when user enters incorrect password by mistake, the password entering window (Pop-up) will go away. Then user needs to close the excel program and again he/she will click on same file just to enter password!

Can you do it like pdf file? Adobe will keep the password entering pop-up open until you enter correct password.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Switching from CSV to XLSX

I want a single button that I can hit to save the csv as a xlsx and delete the csv.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix bug where the Related Dates under Info is wrong when the document is created either on desctop och in a folder

When an excel-document is created either in a folder or on the desktop by using using right mouse click then New Microsoft Excel Sheet, then the date is wrong. Not only in my Excel in others too. Serious problem when satisfying version history relating to certain quality standards such as ISO 27001

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Microsoft needs to enable autosave for all products.

Not a new idea--this feature has been available on previous versions of Microsoft products. Autosave needs to be available for all products whether or not files are saved in OneDrive or SharePoint. What made Microsoft think customers ALL work in OneDrive or SharePoint? We also use network drives that are not on OneDrive and personal computers where we save files on a hard drive. It is infuriating to not have autosave available!!! Poor customer service!

BTW--I don't sign in to OneDrive on my personal computer because I DON"T WANT all my devices synced. I don't want to hear my cell…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. You destroyed the save feature

I was able to save downloaded files into recently used folders with a few clicks. The update I was required to download removed that feature and took a nice backward step - or two.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Opening another document

When opening another document, keep the other documents from the same application in their same location on the screen. Minimized docs popup and non-minimized docs move. Both of these are really annoying because I have to adjust them. I believe this also happens in Word.
    And

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base