Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. How do I prevent Excel from redisplaying multiple minimized open documents when opening a new document?

Excel 365, minimized workbook pops up when opening another workbook from explorer.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Let user select delimiter when saving as CSV

When saving a worksheet as CSV, Excel doesn´t allow me to choose which character to use as delimiter. It uses the character set as list separator in the Windows´ Region settings. The only way to change the delimiter Excel uses for CSV is changing that Windows setting, but it causes a lot of side effects in other applications (even in Excel).
    It would be very usefull allowing the user to choose the CSV delimiter when saving a sheet as CSV (at least let the user choose from a set of characters, in order to avoid conflict with decimal separator).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Hyperlinking the preferred PowerPoint slide in Excel

I want to open the preferred slide in the PowerPoint deck by clicking the hyperlink in the Excel file. It would be great if we can create a hyperlink to the specific PPT slide in Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Get rid of "copy of" when doing save as

Please get rid of the "copy of" prefix that automatically comes up whenever I do a file save as! It is never, ever helpful and always has to be deleted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Let autosave save my file locally and not OneDrive

Please stop nudging and forcing me to use OneDrive in all ways.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. No Wi-Fi use of Office

I often copy files from my home PC to a USB stick so that I can work on them with laptops at cabin - no internet access there. Why can't I configure Excel, Word, etc. to not use OneDrive?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. When excel opens you should show PINNED files before showing RECENT files; what's the point of having pinned items? Am I missing something

Open excel showing PINNED files first. What's the point of showing RECENT files before showing PINNED files? that's totally inefficient and illogical. Or, am I missing some setting to fix that problem. If so where's the setting?

You have recent files all over the place, like Quick access etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. "TIME TRAVEL" FEATURE.

Excel To include with time travel feature.This will facilitate to access back the file even if saved for erroneous data which will enable to access file for previous times status like 5min, 10min, 15min etc. back or before. In this way even file saved with heavy mistakes can be retrieved back to previous status and can be utilised for further work without redoing as whole.It is like restore to some known good configuration as in windows registry.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Saving in Windows formatted text

I need to save my Excel document in a Windows formatted text .txt format, but I do not see this option available. I see Macintosh formatted text, MS-DOS formatted text, UFC16 Unicode formatted text, and tab delimited text, but not what I need.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable date and time shortcut in file saving window

I majorly work on one main master file, i used to update very frequently.
    While saving file name i use date or time at the end of file name to find the recent one. If you enable shortcuts "Ctrl" + ";" for date and "Ctrl" + "Shift" + ";" for time which will be so useful for me.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add an "Save As" file option for pipe delimited files

The switch back and forth from comma and pipe separated formats is a pain. The pipe delimited format should be a standard option - without requiring changes to the Regional settings.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add an "Save As" file option for pipe delimited files

The switch back and forth from comma and pipe separated formats is a pain. The pipe delimited format should be a standard option - without requiring changes to the Regional settings.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Excel 2019 / 365 file corrupt issue

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msowin10-mso_o365b/power-query-solutions-for-vertical-column-data-to/978a23da-3f4c-460e-ba99-bd31141b8095?messageId=ee538783-6197-4353-bc92-e46bb824b13e

Recently I have been getting File corrupt errors when I try to open files created in 2019.

There are several files to download in the above link.

The last one, in Andreas reply 2020 07 28 4:52 AM.

He created it in 2019.
    I downloaded, tried to open in 365 ... File corrupt error
    Opened it Excel 2010 no problem ... WTF!
    SAVE As to a new file name, no other changes
    Opened the new file name in Excel 365 no problem ... ???

Excel 365 Version 2006 (Build 13001.20384 Click-to-Run)
    Excel 365 PowerQuery Run) Version 2.82.5858.241…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Keyboard shortcut to Open File Explorer at location of active file

I very often want to go to the folder of the file that I am editing. A keyboard shortcut for this (that works the same way across all installed applications) would be extremely helpful!
    (This is probably a feature request for the OS, more than for the Excel application - please help me pass it along)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a CSV mode

Excel is currently designed so that the CSV file format is not an Excel file format. The "Open" and "Save" functions make this clear.

However, if Excel had a "CSV mode", it could be the world's leading CSV editor. Such a mode would be able to be associated with .csv files and would remove all the Excel features that create data that cannot be saved in the CSV format. While in this mode, the file would by default be saved as a CSV.

If a user wanted to use Excel's full functionality with the file, they would need to enable…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Printing as a PDF, pasting the name from the contents creates error

When printing to PDF and trying to paste contents as the PDF name it causes an error. Please fix this and allow contents to to pasted while the file is being printed to PDF.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base