Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel Misinterpreting CSV as SYLK file.

When opening a CSV file in Excel where the first field is "ID", Excel gives a dialog saying the extension does not match the file type (Excel assuming the file type to be SYLK). I have had to make a change to my codebase to change "ID" to "_ID" specifically for users who utilize Excel. I would appreciate a fix ASAP.

14 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • STOP turning the AutoSave back on when users turn it off!

STOP turning the AutoSave back on! AutoSave falsely represents users as updating the file AND creates unnecessary versions. Users turn it off and after Microsoft updates are pushed into the environment - it comes back on. Bad idea!

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • What version of Excel am I using?

I use different versions of Excel when working at home, at the office or at client's workplaces.
        I would just like to know, quickly, what version of Excel I am working on. This used to be under the Help Menu in a pop-up dialogue box called "About", if my memory serves me. But I cannot find this in the latest version I have at home (part of Office 365), so I don't actually know which version I am using.

8 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Increase the file path length to more than 218 characters

Incresaing the character count in the file path matching with Excel online would be fitting. Or even more. It seems crazy that Excel can't open a valid file that the filesystem allows. People have been complaining about this since Office 2000. The thread below has over 11 thousand views and there are plenty others. Please fix this.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Restore MDI

Please bring Excel back to how it was prior to the 2016 version. Open only one instance of Excel for all spreadsheets. Have one Ribbon for all of them. Open all windows the same size of all others. Make split view work again. Enough of the 1,000 clicks we have to do more each day because of this SDI very bad idea.

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Poder seguir editando el documento A mientras se guarda el documento B.

Normalmente utilizo archivos en intranet compartidos entre equipos.

Cuando edito alguno de ellos lo guardo y me paso al siguiente archivo, pero el problema viene cuando intento pasar del archivo B (el que se esta guardando) al archivo A, no puedo editarlo hasta que se termine de guardar el archivo B.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• save sheet as jpeg

save sheet as jpeg

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Every time I open or close a document the "Detail" view appears. I would prefer to change the default view to "List"

When I save, or open a document the default view is in "Detail" view. I prefer to see it in "List" view. I need to change it every time. Is there a way to permanently see it in "List" view rather than "Detail" view. I waste a lot of time with this. It's a nuisance.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Recent Files Shouldn't Display until Ready

The recent files list in Excel takes time to refresh, which often leads to opening an incorrect file, when multiple devices are being used.

The scenario is Excel 2016 Desktop application, two Windows 10 devices, a OneDrive for Business account (on the work computer), and a OneDrive Personal account (on the personal computer). On first opening Excel, it will suggest the last few files I worked on, making it easier and faster for me to get back to work on what I last edited. Great feature! However, Excel will often re-order the position of the files a few seconds after…

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• PLEASE allow adding "recent" files button to the Quick Access toolbar.

PLEASE allow adding "recent" files button to the Quick Access toolbar.

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please remove autosave!

I use excel for 90% of my job and am seriously debating leaving the MSOffice ecosystem entirely, purely due to auto-save destroying my files. This is the WORST idea Microsoft has come up with and has cost my company hundreds of hours

11 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • put back:Excel openworkbook in first instance

Existing workbook opens up in random instance of excel.exe when there are more than one instance of excel.exe 2016 running.

This was not the case with excel 2010 where every workbook was opening up in first launched instance of excel.exe when there were more than 1 instance of excel.exe

Can this be fixed and let the workbook use the first instance of excel.exe when there are multiple instances running?

5 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• UTF8 for Excel 2016 Standalone

This functionality was implemented for O365 version, but the stand alone version was left out. The work arounds required for moving to UTF in stand alone version are questionable for implementation at best. This needs to have parity in both versions.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Saving Files

Have the ability to save a file in two locations automatically.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Open more than one workbook in different monitors

Frequently, I need to open two excel files and display the spreadsheets on different monitors. Currently, if I open more than one file, only one is viewable at a time. The work around is to open two different excel applications. In Word and PPT, each file opened is a separate application - please add this feature to Excel.
                                Thank you

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• When I'm working with a folder that has several files in it, I want folder to stay open, without have to browse to it

When I'm working with a Folder that has several files in it, I want the Folder to stay open so when I need the next file I don't have to keep browsing to the Folder. The prior version of Excel (7?) did this and it would be nice if this functionality remained in Excel. I don't want to have to keep browsing to the Folder, and yes I've pinned it, but if I'm working in it, it should stay open until I close it. Thanks.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add a "Recently Closed" list for the Open menu

The open menu's list of recent files is based on when they are open. If I'm working over an extended period of time and finally close a workbook it may fall off the end of the list because it might have been open for 2 weeks. Could you add the option to list files by most recently closed. Then when I close 3 files they will most certainly appear at the top of this list, because the files I am most likely to re-open tomorrow are the ones I closed today.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• AutoSave is causing Havoc.

Remove AutoSave and let user add it from Settings by choice

11 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• ate the ability to open multiple workbooks in a single instance in Excel I do not understanding the logic behind your decision to remove the

ate the ability to open multiple workbooks in a single instance in Excel
                                          I do not understanding the logic behind your decision to remove the ability to open multiple workbooks in a single instance in Excel. The only benefit is the ability to immediately move work books to two separate screens basically giving the ability to do the simple task of copy and paste. FYI: available on all spreadsheets!!! What made Excel a valuable tool was it ability to reduce time by accumulating data from multiple workbooks instantly and limiting the use of resources (ram). It also reduced the amount…

8 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base