Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Give VBA some love -- Increase size of the Immediate Window

A really easy one. Currently limited to about 100 lines, which made sense back in 1997 when memory was tight. Now a real pain.

Hopefully just a constant somewhere in the code.

But, zero work on VBA means zero. When VBA dies through neglect, many people will have no strong reason to stick to Excel.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Give VBA some love -- Application.RibbonHandle

Currently, getting the ribbon handle requires implementing a callback, and then saving the handle. But it is then lost on any VBA error.

There is a hack to store it in an XL4 Application macro, and then get it back using a MoveMemory system call.

But that is NOT End user Computing! That is the point of VBA, usable by end users.

It should be like all the other statuses, Application.RibbonHandle. Always available, no magic required.

The fact that this has not been fixed in 10 years demonstrates Microsoft's contempt for VBA, which is very unwise IMHO.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. There should be Microsoft Office Tool to create a list of the shortcuts and menu access keys

There should be a tool in Microsoft Office that generates a list of keyboard shortcuts and menu access keys for Excel, Word, etc. Currently there is a macro in Word that generates a list of shortcuts. There should be a tool separately from the macro list to do this for Excel and other programs. There are hundreds of access keys but there are only a few keys listed online.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. While it is much better than past versions of Excel that used a macro to calculate a histogram, the new histogram chart creates this chart f

While it is much better than past versions of Excel that used a macro to calculate a histogram, the new histogram chart creates this chart for you. However, unlike the older implementation using a macro, the new chart does not give me direct access to the underlying numbers to allow me to normalize them or to be able to change the bin sizes to be unequal sizes, i.e. 0-1, 1-1.5, 1.5-3, 3-4, etc. I have lost flexibility at the expense of simplicity.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Improve *Workbook.RefreshAll method

Please consider updating method RefreshAll of Workbook object by adding return value to it.

At least return 'true' when refresh went successfully, 'false' when not.

Currently, VBA ignores appearing during refresh of connections errors. However, when such refresh is triggered manually by pressing menu button (tab Data -> Refresh All), Excel shows message and a proposal to cancel refresh of remaining queries or continue.

Description of problem can be also found under following links

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/8f028b00-36c7-40b7-b363-07e056cbbcc6/thisworkbookrefreshall-does-not-throw-error-but-refresh-all-in-data-tab-shows?forum=sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1021642-vba-error-handling-activeworkbook-refreshall.html

Thank you!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Can't add ActiveX into Excel 2016

Unable to add new/existing ActiveX controls into Excel 2016 whether it is a brand new worksheet or an existing worksheet. Getting an "Cannot Insert Object" error. Have researched previous issues on this and there are only fixes up until Office 2013. Requiring assistance in finding a fix to this issue ASAP.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Give VBA some love -- Easy ribbon additions

The beautiful thing about VBA is that it can be easily used by END USERS. Not professional programmers.

Adding a simple button to the ribbon required pulling apart XML files which is NOT end user computing.

Some simple mechanism to add buttons would be helpful. Need not be complete, just a way of recording a macro and then running it easily. Cannot be done at present.

(And of course, the ribbon should have an object model like everything else. But that is too much to hope for.)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Excel macro web & app

We can't convert an excel macro with activex into web.
    If i'm right web and app are the next steps in excel. We must have clear option to convert excel macro with activex and other add-ins into web page and android app.

This will boost the excel to high level. Please consider this request

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. VBA error object to include line number/text property

VBA Error object should have properties called line Number and line text which will let us know the line number of the code and the line text of the code where error occurred. This will help us very much in case of offline troubleshooting through logs

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add VBA Support for Excel 2016 charts like Waterfall, Pareto etc

Please add VBA support for new Waterfall, Pareto, Histrogram, Treemap, Sunburst and Box & Wisker chart types. Specifically, include the ability to record a macro when operating on new charts and provide corresponding Excel VBA Object library nomenclature. There is currently no VBA support for new Excel 2016 chart types, making it impossible to automate and include them into existing toolsets. Waterfall chart support is a priority. Thanks!

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. freeze panes via VBA without needing to activate the sheet

in VBA there is no way to split & freeze a sheet without Activating the sheet first.

Most tasks can be programmed to change a sheet without the sheet being Activated.

So, please provide a means to add/delete/control split & freeze panes programmatically in VBA without the need to activate the sheet first.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. VBA is a bit old fashion & difficult to use compared to C#. i dont expect VBA to be as comprehensive as C#, but some improvemt wld be nice.

VBA is a bit old fashion & difficult to use compared to C#. i dont expect VBA to be as comprehensive as C#, but some Improvement wld be nice.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Excel Macros to be written in PowerShell

Allow Excel Macros to be written in PowerShell.
    It would also be amazing if it could be used as an alternative to field functions such as "=PRODUCT(A1:A10))"

I believe that Microsoft Excel naively supporting PowerShell as a 21st century alternative to VBA would be the most beneficial change made to the software since release.

Almost all Microsoft products are becoming PowerShell integrated, yet Office remains only supporting VBA.
    VBA is an archaic procedural language which despite its ambivalent love from the community, seems to have little to no place in the modern world.
    PowerShell can directly interact with COM objects…

85 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Include "Run to end of current procedure" option in the right-click menu (in VBA Editor).

Occasionally, when going step-by-step through a macro, I step into a (lengthy) procedure, that may be trivial or 'known good', and doesn't require review, though I now only have 2 options - to continuing stepping line by line, or running the whole thing without breaks.

As this is unintentional, the (current) solution is to simply scroll to the end of the procedure (i.e. the end sub/function line) that I have stepped into, and right-click and click on "Run to Cursor". However, this is an unnecessary and laborious, especially if the procedure is long.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Actually read some of these suggestions, and provide comments to show you have

I have a strong suspicion that these comments are never read. That they are just there to make people feel they can engage. If so that is an insult to the people that take the trouble to comment here.

Some feedback would make us feel listened to.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Integrate VS Code into Excel, at the same level as the VBA IDE

VS Code has an equivalent feature set to the VBA IDE (editor with Intellisense, syntax highlighting and validation; debugger with locals and watch panes, code navigation). Leveraging VS Code for editing and debugging macros embedded in Excel documents would bring the following benefits:

1. Excel could support embedded scripts in various languages (https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10549005-python-as-an-excel-scripting-language), as long as the language is supported in VS Code (Python, R, Javascript) without needing a new editor for each one (both a maintenance burden, and a profusion of UIs for the same task of editing and debugging code).

2. The only VBA IDE features not available…

114 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Excel Forms: Bringing the useful icon sets to the form design tool box.

Icon sets available at the insert/ilustrations user interface would become even more useful if added to the form design tool box for excel scripting developers, so commands can be associated with an icon, on its own, or next to an activation button.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. formulaarray

It is well past time to remove the 255 character limit on a range object's FormulaArray property

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow Lua for scripting instead of VBA

I know the Python scripting idea has 5000+ votes. But if it's decided that Python is too heavy weight for scripting in Excel please consider Lua. It's small, modern and lightweight and built for this exact use case, to be embedded into larger programs and be used as a scripting interface.

https://www.lua.org/

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+G close the Immediate window in the VBA editor

In the VBA editor, when I press Ctrl+G to open the Immediate window I expect the Immediate window to close when I press it again.

I suggest making this keyboard shortcut works as a toggle button to open and close the Immediate window.

We currently don't have any way to close this window except pressing the exit button.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base