Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Safe Macro Detection

Certain types of macros could be guaranteed to be safe to the user of a workbook. Such an example would be a UDF that does pure numerical manipulation.
    I propose that there is some mechanism to detect whether VBA could have unwanted side effects and block those, but workbooks containing only VBA that does pure numerical manipulations or makes use of only other worksheet functions should be enabled by default.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remove the 255 character limit in Excel object model functions

The parameters of some VBA functions have a 255 character limit which makes some functionality impossible.

Examples:
    * Worksheet.Evaluate()
    * Application.ConvertFormula()

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Expose more events in VBA

Please can we have the OnKeyPress, OnKeyUp and OnKeyDown events exposed in Excel please?

It is a real and unnecessary pain to have to use the API to do this simple thing.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Worksheet protection - UserInterfaceOnly setting should maintain between workbook openings

When developing VBA and/or VSTO solutions for Excel, you might come across the problem that a protected worksheet where the UserInterfaceOnly parameter was set to "True" cannot save its state to the next Excel session. This means that the UserInterfaceOnly setting cannot be maintained between workbook openings. Therefore, to re-establish the setting you have to unprotect and re-protect the specific worksheet (for example during the Workbook_Open event). Unfortunately, since Excel 2013 this might be a performance issue when handling a lot of worksheets (see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff837594.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#xl15WhatsNewProtectingsheets - "Protecting Sheets takes longer"). On a modern desktop computer you would probably not even…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create Javascript API Editor in Office Now instead of after API set is complete

It seems clear from https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/8843113-bring-vba-into-the-modern-world that while VBA will stay for a while, the future is to replace it with JavaScript. Cross-platform, modern, I don't entirely like it but I get it.

So today I sat down to start learning JavaScript and consider building anything I would have put in VBA in it instead, and so far it appears I'd need to do so in Visual Studio or a text editor. Is this correct? That same link notes that you'll create "a more modern editor than the VBE" but only after broadening the API set (at which point you'll look…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Copy a spreadsheet with macros doesn't always copy the macros

I have a large spreadsheet with a lot of macros and I access them from a customized ribbon. When I copy the spreadsheet to a new file, the macros copy (good) but when I go to the customized ribbon, running a macro by clicking on the ribbon entry opens the original spreadsheet and executes the macro in the original file. I want the customized ribbon to access the macros in the copied spreadsheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add oMath capability through VBA, add cell links

Allow the programmatic creation of equations through VBA. The oMath API is already incorporated in MS Word. If cells can also be referenced in the Equation Editor/oMath, this would be a "killer feature" that would help compete with programs like Mathcad.

In engineering applications where showing calculations is important, it is tedious to put manually assemble equations in the Equations Editor that match a formula, then show a formula with values used before showing the calculated result. Adding oMath into VBA and allowing cell links would go a long way to reducing this overhead.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. View vba code in protected view

When a file is in protected view, i can't see the vba code in the editor. This is rather impracticale since it makes it impossible to determine if it is safe to disable protected view for that file.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Need a macro shortcut key manager

Please create a macro shortcut key manager! Right now, I have no way of knowing if Ctrl+k has been assigned to a macro, or what macro a shortcut key is assigned to (i.e. both directions are unknown). It would be very nice to have a table that you could edit and track down what macro shortcut keys you have assigned to what macros. I consider not having this utility a bug.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Formulas for Analysis Toolpak Regression tool & similar hard-coded add-in outputs

The Analysis Toolpak Regression tool outputs some very useful data. However, the outputted values are hard-coded. We cannot tell how each was calculated or precisely what data was used to generate the output sheet. It will also not update to reflect new data.

There are tutorials online explaining how to reproduce the output using formulas:
    http://www.real-statistics.com/multiple-regression/multiple-regression-analysis/multiple-regression-analysis-excel/
    http://people.clarkson.edu/~wwilcox/ES100/regrint.htm

However, these would not be necessary if Excel just did it all for us. After all, it knows how it is calculating everything, so it might as well show its work. The same can be said for any other tool in the toolpak…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enable standard resizing ability for forms

Enable forms to be resized by dragging the edge of the form instead of requiring custom VBA code to be written in order to resize custom forms.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. MacroOptions to redirect Help for VBA UDFs to web page

Currently, if I write a UDF in VBA, I can arrange that the user sees help for that function in the Excel “Insert function” dialog box by using Application.MacroOptions. I can also hook the “Help on this function” link of that dialog to a help topic in a help file.

But I don’t think Application.MacroOptions lets me hook “Help on this function” to a web page. My suggestion is to make that possible please.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Macro Relative Reference Option More Visible

When recording a macro using the Use Relative References option, the change in the icon is too subtle to easily tell if the option is active or not. Instead of the very faint border around the icon, make it more evident when the option is active or inactive.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. VBA - to avoid cracking enable the code to set the password on opening the workbook

It would be so handy if one could check the status of the password setting of the VBA code in Workbook_Open() and reapply it if the password has been removed. That way only if you know the password can you unlock it in the VBA editor.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. VBA: function to get/set the search settings (for backup and restore)

Range.Find modifies the settings in the Find dialog of the UI.

The default setting of LookAt in the UI is xlPart, but in VBA we usualy use xlWhole:

MyRange.Find(What, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)

We need a function the get (all) the search settings, so we can backup the settings before we execute our macro. And when we are finished we need a function to restore the settings.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Lookbacks in Regex being supported

Currently, with VBA's reference of "Microsoft VBScript Regular Expressions 5.5", lookbacks aren't supported. The only way to mimic a poor lookback is to use grouping, and have a partial lookback before the grouping. For example:

LookbackPortion(The Group we want)

While this works for some cases, it in no way comes close to being a proper implementation of a lookback.

Currently there are many requests for Regex in Excel. Currently, it's fairly doable with a short user-defined function.

So the request is to properly implement regex lookbacks in VBScripts

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Defining a subset of the possible VBA commands usable without triggering a security prompt

Might allowing the use of a subset of VBAs commands (enforced by the virtual machine) for certain projects allow for a reduction in the need for security prompts and help prevent users becoming accustomed to clicking enable when opening a spreadsheet without thinking of the consequences. I.e. certain spreadsheet could be tagged by the developer as only using this subset of VBA commands and could run without the need to trigger a security prompt.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Macros - Make it simple to transfer macros and PERSONAL workbooks, and combine multiple PERSONAL workbooks on one computer.

Macros - Make it simple to transfer macros and PERSONAL workbooks, and combine multiple PERSONAL workbooks on one computer. This is ridiculous. I use multiple complex macros. Make it easier for regular people to do!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add SharePoint and Onedrive OAuth authentication in VBA

Currently I use rest with SharePoint and Onedrive, but in VBA this is not very easy and can sometimes be troublesome.
    Like in the newer languages (e.g. C#) authentication can be done in a few lines of code and it would be good to have some thing similar built into VBA.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base