Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Code module comparison tool

Due to a number of factors (I started having this problem mostly after our company implemented OneDrive, but I'm sure there are complementary factors like intermittent network connection, etc) I keep having Excel restart or reconnect in ways that it has to recover files including personal.xlsb.

For most "front-end" files, I can just open the most recent one from the recovery panel, and move on. However, when Excel re-opens it does so with personal.xlsb loaded, and I haven't managed to figure out how to tell Excel "only use the most recent [recovered] copy". So these backup copies get stored/saved, and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Macros easy to copy and paste into another computer

I want to record a macro, create a button on my excel worksheet, so it is available to run whenever I want to run it. AND make it easy to copy so I can share it with friends and put it on my laptop without having to physically re-record it. ( export data out of our software into an excel workbook and then I want to run my macro on that data. It's difficult because you cannot edit that macro if you want to change something. Also, I cannot move it to my laptop, nor can I give the macro…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Have a tool to find hidden range names and a link finder.

I get (update) linking error when name ranges are hidden. These often come when old worksheet data is imported. The Excel Name Manager function does not find these. I have installed an add-in called Name Manager that does find such range names. This should be part of Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Default Sheet codename as 01, 02, etc instead of 1, 2, 3

Ok, I know this is a minor nit, and probably NOT appropriate for the visible sheetnames (because it would throw half the user base into a panic)... but I often find myself renaming the sheet codenames (and controls) using 01, 02, 03 because of the way the VBE sorts things. Obviously this only helps for workbooks less than 100 sheets, but that is probably 99% of the use cases, whereas the current approach only works up to 9 sheets, which is probably only half the time.

Sure, I sometimes rename sheets with more intuitive text names as well, but this…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. VBA highlight words that are the same within the same procedure when selected

Highlight all the words within the same procudure that match the selected text, as Sublime text does.
    This would make seeing where variables are used much easier.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Developed a macro that enable us to select area until the last cell with data

I have created a personal macro add-in and added at quick access tool bar that enables me to select the area until the last cell with the data. This macro is very useful for the data that has multiple spaces in it.

With a data that has thousands of row, it is time consuming to use shift+ctrl+down arrow. Because this shortcut stops in each blank cell.

Sub lastcellwithdata()

Dim i As Integer

i = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, Selection.Column).End(xlUp).Row

Range(Cells(Selection.Row, Selection.Column), Cells(i, Selection.Column)).Select

End Sub

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Prevent over-stuffing macros

When I record a macro, I usually run over the (unstated) space available. Why not compile on the fly and report a rough estimate of the space available? This could be given as actual space available or a percentage of space left.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. vba call stack

Change the ability to access the Call Stack at any time, not just in debug mode.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Amount in words formula in Excel

PLZ Add Amount in words formula in Excel

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PLZ Add Amount in words formula in excel

PLZ Add Amount in words formula in Excel

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Change Significance F Label in Regression Output

My MBA cohort is having a difficult time remembering that Significance F is really the model-level p-value. We understand that the p-value labels below refer to the individual variables, but Significance F is obscure.

I suggest that you change the label Significance F in the ANOVA section of the output to Model p-value to resolve this confusion.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. TypeScript as an excel scripting language

I think typescript should be considered alongside python, since as many (if not more) people already know it and/or Javascript, so the learning curve would be much smaller and easier than having to pick VB or Python to learn...

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Custom UI Editor

We need to use Custom UI Editor as an office tool and not 3rd party tools and linkable to VBA macros.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. VBA and external queries

There needs to be a call back function within VBA to establish when a query has finished running so that a macro can be paused until the data has been updated.

I've tried all ways I can find to do this via testing QueryTable.Refreshing property in a loop but none seems to work. Application.wait and any timer loop using GetTickCount() and DoEvents pauses the refresh as well. Unless I'm missing something.

But it is pretty critical ... I don't want to risk the post-processing of data until I am certain that it has all be updated.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow back-up macro code to be saved/backed up separately! When working with macros, I'm finding that it's maddening when to open a saved

Allow back-up macro code to be saved/backed up separately! When working with macros, I'm finding that it's maddening when to open a saved xlsm to find the ode has disappeared!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Reapply an advanced filter automatically

Dear Sirs
    I face a problem and wish Microsoft Excel team solve it
    Reapply an advanced filter automatically or add a tab
    when we make advanced filter , and original data updated
    the filter did not reapply to get latest update.
    Wish U can find a solution or tab or command line can solve it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow custom user data / meta data to be stored in the properties of a sheet.

Often when developing Macro's that operate on a worksheet, one needs to store / access worksheet variables that are either:

1. visible on the sheet or

2. saved in another hidden sheet.

It may be preferred by a Developer if custom meta data could be appended to the sheet properties. This will allow for custom sheet properties to be attached to a sheet rather than referenced from a hidden master sheet.

I appreciate that there may be performance considerations for those people who would like to have a customisable sheet property attribute, if so, it could be controlled by having a global…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. please allow more than 8 items on a dropdown menu

please allow more than 8 items on a dropdown menu

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Error with dbconnection

Unable to use Open database connection without error on Excel version build 8528.2126. Works fine on build 8326.2076

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bug in links to Add-in

Can you fix the bug in Excel that has been around almost forever?

If I have a workbook that uses an Add-in in my personal addins folder, when someone else opens that on their machine, the link automatically looks for the Add-in in my personal folder on their machine, rather than in their addins folder.

If the workbook has iterations reliant on that link, then all the calculations fail, often with a long road to recover all the bad cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base