Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel Forms: Bringing the useful icon sets to the form design tool box.

Icon sets available at the insert/ilustrations user interface would become even more useful if added to the form design tool box for excel scripting developers, so commands can be associated with an icon, on its own, or next to an activation button.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Lua for scripting instead of VBA

I know the Python scripting idea has 5000+ votes. But if it's decided that Python is too heavy weight for scripting in Excel please consider Lua. It's small, modern and lightweight and built for this exact use case, to be embedded into larger programs and be used as a scripting interface.

https://www.lua.org/

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ribbon customization with VBA

My apologies if this is a duplicate, the search function on this site is less than ideal.

Prior to ribbons, MS Office had toolbars, and they weren't terribly hard to change using VBA code (including when a workbook was opened, etc.). From what I've read, it appears to be harder (or at least a different skill set) to update the ribbons, e.g. editing the HTML file and then restarting the application (which isn't always ideal)

I'd like to propose that MS provide better linkage from VBA to customize the ribbons, so that users only need to select the ribbon, and…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. (easier) method to debug.print an array (1D, 2D, or 2 selected dimensions)

I'm currently debugging some code, and have several arrays where being able to see the full array of values at specific points in runtime would be immensely helpful in my troubleshooting.

I'd like to suggest that rather than having the user write code loops or lines to print out an array in a table format
    for I = 1 to 10
    debug.print (array1(i,1) & " " & array1(i,2) & " " & array1(i,3))
    next I

it would be awesome if the VBE had a built-in function that would debug.print an entire 1D or 2D array, AND with an optional parameter…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. update VBA

It would have a couple of stages.
    Stage 1: Get Visual Studio features into the VBA development environment.
    Stage 2: Fully integrate VBA into Visual Studio.
    Stage 3: Continually improve VBA until it is a modern language.

Notes:
    VBA is probably the most used programming language in the world.
    It has so many established users that MS could really get big brownie points by continually improving the experience for users and developers. Why it has stagnated for so long I have never understood.

I have seen your response for the above posted previously and you are missing a major point.…

256 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Disabling Page Layout View From VBA

Disabling Page Layout View From VBA

Allowing the user to change this breaks frozen panes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Excel Forms as addin

I suggest that the Excel Forms which are available only in online version (i think 2019) are also to be available in Excel 2016 desktop version and have support of 1drv will strengthen it.

It could be as an addin downloaded from microsoft.com

This may process like; first download the addin,
    then add to Excel,
    then on this addin ribbon provide a microsoft account,
    then use the form for Quiz Survey etc,
    notifications like user submissions will be displayed in ribbon,
    the data will be downloaded by selecting specific quiz/survey.

Also can active, inactive, copy or delete the quiz/survery.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Provide a way to convert old Excel 97-2003 macros to be compatible with the newer versions.

Provide a way to convert old Excel 97-2003 macros to be compatible with the newer versions.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. auto indent and group VBA code

There are several compilers in other languages ​​that allow the self-indentation of code and the grouping of code structures to make it more readable. Please, improving this part in VBA would be very interesting. Blessings!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. powerpivot, bring it back.

Bring back PowerPivot

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Scroll Wheel support in the MSForms ListBox control

Please, add mouse wheel support in the ListBox control on Office UserForms.

There is a hack using the low level Win32 API, hooking the Window Procedure with SetWindowLong(GWL_WNDPROC) and CallWindowProc, but it is too easy to crash Excel with that hack.

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/excel/178071-scroll-mouse-scroll-button-listbox.html#post812821

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Mini calendar and date picker

The actual calendar should be embedded in the ribbon instead of you having to open it in every sheet to select dates.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. VBA ScreenUpdating-Property does not work in Excel 2016!

The VBA Application.ScreenUpdating-Property does not work properly in Excel 2016 / Win 10. See attached screenshot. The screen is updated after each step in VBA, although the ScreenUpdating is set to False. The property worked nicely in Office 2007 / Vista.
    It would be nice to have this bug fixed as quickly as possible, since I have hundreds of Makros who depend on this property.
    Christian Klug
    Düsseldorf, Germany

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add-Ins Options Menu: When you are done (or cancel) from one area, it should put you back in the Add-Ins menu so you can do more

Add-Ins Options Menu:

When you are done (or cancel) from one area, it should put you back in the Add-Ins menu so you can do more Add-Ins work. It should not throw you all the way out so you have to go back all the way in.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Export the results of Spreadsheet Compare as a spreadsheet with highlighted differences instead of a list of changed cells

In the former version "Essential Spreadsheet Compare 1.34.8" the comparison gives you an output where you have in the same spreadsheet the changed rows in red with a strike on top and the new ones in green . This allows users to identify the changes maintaining the view of the whole row and to easily replace the old by the new rows and keep a tracking of the changes.
    In the new version you just have a list of the cells that changed and what changed. Although the program shows you a spreadsheet with the differences highlighted it does not…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make Macros easy to copy and paste into another computer

I want to record a macro, create a button on my excel worksheet, so it is available to run whenever I want to run it. AND make it easy to copy so I can share it with friends and put it on my laptop without having to physically re-record it. ( export data out of our software into an excel workbook and then I want to run my macro on that data. It's difficult because you cannot edit that macro if you want to change something. Also, I cannot move it to my laptop, nor can I give the macro…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Capturing/accessing prior cell value (NOT the undo log) for worksheet_change (VBA)

I see that Dan [MS] has already closed out at least one topic with the explanation that there is no plan to integrate VBA and the undo log- my suggestion does not rely on the undo log, I just wanted to say that up front to avoid any confusion

I don't think it would be difficult to temporarily store and expose the old value of a cell (or range?) as part of the worksheetchange event, so that VBA users could compare previous and new values for a cell (or range?). For example, in addition to Target.value, you could also

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Change Significance F Label in Regression Output

My MBA cohort is having a difficult time remembering that Significance F is really the model-level p-value. We understand that the p-value labels below refer to the individual variables, but Significance F is obscure.

I suggest that you change the label Significance F in the ANOVA section of the output to Model p-value to resolve this confusion.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Keep the font color white on the Status bar while macro is running, so users can read the feedback displayed there.

When running a macro, it helps to turn screen updating off to maximize speed. Also, users want to know what's happening, so a very good way to do that is to output a progress message on the status bar, such as the process completion percentage...

New in Excel 2016, the status bar font turns dark grey on a dark green background when the macro is running, making the messages there unreadable. Why? Earlier versions of Excel did not have this design flaw. I understand that different windows themes can be tried to avoid this, but as a developer I can't…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. FIX THE BUGS with Application.ScreenUpating & Application.DisplayAlerts!It has been reported as broken for over a YEAR

BUG REPORT: Neither Application.ScreenUpdating or Application.DisplayAlerts work correctly in Excel 2016. Without these functioning, (unattended) macros are useless.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 8 10 12 16 17
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base