Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please support Unicode font in VBA

Please support Unicode font in VBA.

Thank you!

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a command line tool for signing Office files with a digital certificate

Besides Office, Excel files can be created using numerous software tools. More often than not, batches of macro-enabled Excel files are processed with scripts for productivity purposes. However, VBA code signing cannot be part of an automated process, as it is a manual task that requires opening & saving the file in Excel.

This request is about creating a command line tool for signing Office files with a digital certificate, similar to MS SignTool.

In addition, the existing macro signing process in Office is not 100% compatible with Open XML specifications. I can clarify this statement in a private discussion…

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Content Pane Remove Size Limit, Add Positioning, Resizing

There is a limitation to the width and height of a Content Pane at 1000 x 1000px. This limit is imposed when resizing via mouse in Excel Desktop and the JavaScript API. This (via mouse) is not true in Excel Online (or in PowerPoint) where the size can be set and saved to any size via mouse.

It would make the Content Pane consistent and open up a huge number of innovation opportunities to remove the current 1000 x 1000px limitation in the JavaScript API and Desktop Content Panes in Excel.

The ability to position and resize the Content Pane…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Correct illogical limit of 255 characters for entering Matrix formulas using VBA

When you use Excel, you have a limit of 8192 for the lenght of a formula.

When you assign a matrix formula using VBA, it is restricted to 255.
    Even using macro recorder, it'll save the correct instruction, but then it'll be useless as VBA won't execute that instruction.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. More vba events

VBA events are extremely powerful but currently they are seriously lacking! If the Excel team went through and exposed more events VBA would a lot easier to manage for complex applications.

Events to expose:
    * Row and column insertion
    * Table specific events:
    ** Table - Insert_Row
    ** Table - Insert_Column
    ** Table - Cell_Change
    ** Table - On Filter
    ** Table - On Filter button click
    * Chart events!
    ** Chart - On Mouse Down
    ** Chart - On chart object select
    ** Chart - On chart resize
    * Shape events
    ** On shape resize
    ** On shape click …

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. add to the ribbon a nummeric up-down control

Not only to excel but to all of office
    implement getmin, getmax, getvalue

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. VBA editor suggestion

List a module's routines and functions in expandable tree view under module name in VBA editor. Just use the existing object tree view but add another level down that lists each function or routine and make it so it takes me to that function when I click on it. Most times, I'm just trying to remember a function's name and I have to leave my current routine to go find it. This would allow me to see the function name without leaving my current module and routine or function.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Modernise VBA Class Syntax

Writing Classes in VBA makes me ….. nervous. Any improvement would please me already ;-(

Why is VBA developing so viscously? Millions of VBA programmers but no further development of the language, is somehow strange I would say.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Excel Macro Recording Fails with the New Excel Comments.

Here I send a Macro that was recorded on Excel from Ofice 365 with a clear text on cell "B3", an Annotation on cell "B5" old excel comment, a new Excel Comment on cell "B9" and on cell "B12" the number "1234".
    If your clear "Delete" all of them on the worksheet and start the Macro that was recorded automatically by Excel we get Erro in execution Time '1004'

Sub Macro1()
    '
    ' Macro1 Macro
    '
    '
    Range("B3").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Teste 1"
    Range("B5").Select
    Range("B5").AddComment
    Range("B5").Comment.Visible = True
    Range("B5").Comment.Text Text:= _
    "Sergio Eduardo Antonio:" & Chr(10) & "Teste de Inclus?o de…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Update Visual Basic for Applications

Visual Basic for Applications is still version 7.1 from 2012. It's high time that power user portion of the application received updates to the interface, IntelliSense, and features. That portion of the program needs to be aligned with the current features now available within the Microsoft Suite. It also needs a facelift to the Userforms palette. I suggest starting with Excel, where VBA is most widely used, then PowerPoint, Word, Outlook.

Don't go destroying developer's programs, just add interoperability, functions, and facelift.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Option to resize Macro Dialog box

Currently the dialog box for Macros does not have an option to resize like that of 'save as dialog box'.It would be very nice if this option could be included as it would make it convenient to view more macros.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel core issue - Slow async UDF

See https://github.com/Excel-DNA/ExcelDna/issues/232

We need to use Excel async UDF with 100k+ call per sheet. We have evaluted the Excel behaviour and found out:
    sync UDF: almost constant time (around 2 us) per UDF call
    async UDF: time per UDF call increases about lineary with the number of total UDF uses per sheet

Is this a bug? Can someone confirm this issue and shedule it for a fix?

Here are data from our measurements: see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_other-mso_2016/excel-core-issue-slow-async-udf/dd9c47a0-02eb-4d69-982e-4bebf9edac6d

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Expand/Collapse of code block in VB Editor

For easier reading and more effective coding, I strongly hope you add a feature of Expand/Collapse of code block in VB Editor.
    読みやすさ、コーディングの効率化のため、VB エディターにコードブロックを展開・縮小する機能を追加してください。

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ribbon, invalidate controls on contexttualTabs.

When create a custom control in contextualTab, callbacks are executed only first time then control is shown.
    Because contextualTabs shows information about selected object (listObject, chart, etc), all controls MUST BE invalidate each time selected object changes in Excel.
    Workaround its invalidate ALL CONTROLS from ALL CONTEXTUALTABS in Application_SheetSelectionChange() and Application_SheetActivate().
    This is a LOT of code executions (each seleccion in Excel executes .InvalidateControl to all controls in all ContextualTabs).

But... if exists onShow="callback" triggered when ContextualTabs shows information it runs faster.

Or even better, when Excel shows a ContextualTab, all inner-custom controls must be automatically invalidate, then all of…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. C# Classes Call as VBA Language Feature

Writing Excel Applications for Business often leads to the desire to extend VBA functionality with C# Classes. I would like to be able to call C# as a language component of VBA.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. about: Application.ScreenUpdating

I use Application.ScreenUpdating a lot.
    Before, all Excel did was not refresh the screen.
    The current version keeps switching to a blank screen over and over and over and over again.
    Is super ANNOYING.

please, just let Excel do nothing until Application.ScreenUpdating is switch back to TRUE.

Thank you

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow VBA to pull a 1D range into a 1D array (default is a 2D array)

Sorry, the page search results returned over 60 pages of "related" results and that is too much to sift through to see if this is a duplicate suggestion.

Recognizing that the workaround is to use transpose, and the size limit has been fixed, but it just feels clunky to have to double-transpose a row in order to move a 1D range into a 1D array :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Multiple scripting languages for Excel

I would like to see multiple scripting languages support for Excel. I think Excel needs to support java script, powershell, and still continue to support VBA. Allow the user to be able to select language when creating Macro

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base