Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support trusting publishers for certificates used to sign macros on shapes.

When macros are signed with a certificate, the user is given the option to "Trust all documents from this publisher". However, this option is not available when the signed macro is attached to a Shape.

This behaviour should be consistent no matter where the macro was attached.

See attached "failbook.xlsm" and "successbook.xlsm". Failbook has a macro attached to a shape, successbook has a macro attached to a form button. The images "macrooptionssuccessbook.png" and "macrooptionsfailbook.png" show the differences in the macro options screen between the two excel workbooks.

Reproduction steps:

1.-In the Excel Trust Center, enable "Disable all macros with notification"

13 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • powerpivot, bring it back.

Bring back PowerPivot

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Scroll Wheel support in the MSForms ListBox control

Please, add mouse wheel support in the ListBox control on Office UserForms.

There is a hack using the low level Win32 API, hooking the Window Procedure with SetWindowLong(GWL_WNDPROC) and CallWindowProc, but it is too easy to crash Excel with that hack.

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/excel/178071-scroll-mouse-scroll-button-listbox.html#post812821

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add VBA Support for Excel 2016 charts like Waterfall, Pareto etc

Please add VBA support for new Waterfall, Pareto, Histrogram, Treemap, Sunburst and Box & Wisker chart types. Specifically, include the ability to record a macro when operating on new charts and provide corresponding Excel VBA Object library nomenclature. There is currently no VBA support for new Excel 2016 chart types, making it impossible to automate and include them into existing toolsets. Waterfall chart support is a priority. Thanks!

10 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Have a tool to find hidden range names and a link finder.

I get (update) linking error when name ranges are hidden. These often come when old worksheet data is imported. The Excel Name Manager function does not find these. I have installed an add-in called Name Manager that does find such range names. This should be part of Excel.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Looking for “block or disabling JavaScript functionality" in Excel 2016 developer preview using a GPO

JavaScript functionality is added to Excel 2016 developer preview - This is a great feature. I am looking for how to disable this function using a GPO. Any suggestions / steps would help.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Developed a macro that enable us to select area until the last cell with data

I have created a personal macro add-in and added at quick access tool bar that enables me to select the area until the last cell with the data. This macro is very useful for the data that has multiple spaces in it.

With a data that has thousands of row, it is time consuming to use shift+ctrl+down arrow. Because this shortcut stops in each blank cell.

Sub lastcellwithdata()

Dim i As Integer

i = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, Selection.Column).End(xlUp).Row

Range(Cells(Selection.Row, Selection.Column), Cells(i, Selection.Column)).Select

End Sub

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• auto indent and group VBA code

There are several compilers in other languages ​​that allow the self-indentation of code and the grouping of code structures to make it more readable. Please, improving this part in VBA would be very interesting. Blessings!

6 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make Macros easy to copy and paste into another computer

I want to record a macro, create a button on my excel worksheet, so it is available to run whenever I want to run it. AND make it easy to copy so I can share it with friends and put it on my laptop without having to physically re-record it. ( export data out of our software into an excel workbook and then I want to run my macro on that data. It's difficult because you cannot edit that macro if you want to change something. Also, I cannot move it to my laptop, nor can I give the macro…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • UDF and application.statusbar

I've got a fuzzy logic UDF working against (up to) 400K rows. For these types of large-scale UDFs, it would be particularly useful if the statusbar was included in what UDFs are able to affect (vs current state where [almost] all environmental variables cannot be affected by UDFs).

That way, a user could get updates on the number of rows currently being searched, and status/progress. This would (a) help the user realize that a long-running calculation is still going instead of thinking that Excel has hung, and (b) would allow the user to estimate completion time (do I need to…

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Cloud-based Macros

Wish that Excel's approach to Macros was much cleaner, shareable, collaborative as Google is impementing.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel 2016 VBA Slow Running Bug

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and Office 2016 and now Excel VBA runs much slower than before (was Office 2010). We have about 100,000 lines of VBA code, so this is a big issue. I was expecting a 2x performance degradation and display problems but it’s much worse than that and I can demonstrate why, with a 7 line program (you will need to save a blank workbook on your desktop and alter the “xxxxxx” in the file path, as well as saving the program to "Excel Speed Test.xlsm"):

Sub Test_Slow_Write()
                          Dim TheRow As Integer
                          ' Load any workbook…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow Excel Macros to be written in PowerShell

Allow Excel Macros to be written in PowerShell.
                              It would also be amazing if it could be used as an alternative to field functions such as "=PRODUCT(A1:A10))"

I believe that Microsoft Excel naively supporting PowerShell as a 21st century alternative to VBA would be the most beneficial change made to the software since release.

Almost all Microsoft products are becoming PowerShell integrated, yet Office remains only supporting VBA.
                              VBA is an archaic procedural language which despite its ambivalent love from the community, seems to have little to no place in the modern world.
                              PowerShell can directly interact with COM objects…

76 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Excel needs to have an add on app that lets users to access all stock statistics. Google sheets is a joke. Excel is king start acting like

Excel could add an appilication through addons to access financial data. I have created addons for entra net usagage this would be an easily climb for the experts.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Default Sheet codename as 01, 02, etc instead of 1, 2, 3

Ok, I know this is a minor nit, and probably NOT appropriate for the visible sheetnames (because it would throw half the user base into a panic)... but I often find myself renaming the sheet codenames (and controls) using 01, 02, 03 because of the way the VBE sorts things. Obviously this only helps for workbooks less than 100 sheets, but that is probably 99% of the use cases, whereas the current approach only works up to 9 sheets, which is probably only half the time.

Sure, I sometimes rename sheets with more intuitive text names as well, but this…

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• VBA highlight words that are the same within the same procedure when selected

Highlight all the words within the same procudure that match the selected text, as Sublime text does.
                                      This would make seeing where variables are used much easier.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Change Significance F Label in Regression Output

My MBA cohort is having a difficult time remembering that Significance F is really the model-level p-value. We understand that the p-value labels below refer to the individual variables, but Significance F is obscure.

I suggest that you change the label Significance F in the ANOVA section of the output to Model p-value to resolve this confusion.

13 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make the Microsoft Mathematics Add-In available for Excel 2016 and 365

Microsoft Mathematics 4.0 is a fantastic Computer Algebra System with excellent graphing features. It allows you to solve math problems, even complex formula, and then graph them in graphs that could have the variables manipulated. It is a great teaching and visualization tool, which after having installed .Net 3.5, can be well installed on Windows 10 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15702, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Mathematics).
                                          Word and OneNote 2013 had a cool Add-in for Microsoft Mathematics 4.0, and we have asked to extend the Add-in to Office 2016.
                                          Please add it to PowerPoint 2016 too, or even better, to all current and future Office…

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base