Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. If you are in a Named Cell, Display the name somewhere

I am using a spreadsheet that makes rocket science look simple. This workbook has hundreds of named cells, but unless I go look in the Name Manager I have no idea a cell is named.

It would be nice if up at the top you displayed the name 'Name: Calc1' or something.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable System separator settings in Office 365 SharePoint

In a Excel file while using a Danish Keyboard the "." to a ",". The system separator setting in Excel Windows application enables to correct this issue by allowing the user to override the separator setting .

In SharePoint Office 365 while using the Excel to collaborate there is no System separator setting .

Is it possible in future that Microsoft look into provide this functionality in the future.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. presentation mode for PowerPoint

I can't count the number of times I see Excel being shared in PowerPoint and it is always painful. It would be nice to have a better view for online sharing

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. email collaborators

From within Office, you can share a doc with someone new, but not email anyone who already has access (for example, if you want to notify them that you updated the doc). I want to be able to email collaborators without having to manually open an email message in Outlook, find the sharing link on SharePoint, and lookup the emails of everyone who has access to the doc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Unwanted "Copy of " profix added to file names

When I am sent a file via email, and I save it to my computer, it always adds "Copy of " to every fine name. It is very annoying to have to delete this every time. Is there a way to turn this feature off? I have searched online but not found solutions that are usable for non-programmers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. autobiography template

I am thinking of giving an easy to read autobiography to the grandkids as so much of my personal information gets forgotten. I often think I wish I could remember what my Mum said about a certain time in her life and now shes gone those memories are gone with her.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Sending selected worksheet over an email without any other sheets

I work on excel file with multiple sheets whenever i want to send my working i need to copy it to new excel and send it. Can we have option of sending the selected worksheet over an email as new excel file with the name as your worksheet.

This will reduce lot of time and data for not saving in multiple files. Helps user to check in single file.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Change "Update Links on Save" to not change SharePoint Online URLs

I have a document with a full URL to another SharePoint Online document. If you open that Excel document stored in SharePoint Online and edit with Excel desktop it by default changes the full https://tenant.sharepoint.com URL to a relative path "../_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?"

This results in the hyperlink no longer working when the Excel doc is viewed in Excel Online or after download and open for viewing in the desktop app.

The Update Links on Save feature should not alter SharePoint Online URLs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Embedding offline excel in websites

Have a html code generator that allows the embedding of offline excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. email insight template

Hello. I have a suggestion concerning an Excel template "Email insights". It would be great to make it possible to use it to monitor the email activity on shared generic mailboxes to be able to track the workload and speed of an entire team. So far I have only seen a possibility to monitor one mailbox. Therefore, an option to sign out from one account and sign in into another should be introduced, as well a possibility to work with shared mailboxes to monitor the working process of an entire team, not just one person.
    Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Compile excel files similar to powerpoint show

I would like the ability to 'compile' workbooks into a more secure file format similar to how you can save a powerpoint show. Something like *.xlcx or *.xlcm for compiled files.

User still need excel to open such files, but when they open it, there is a 'landing sheet/form', the ribbon bar is hidden completely, right-click menus disabled by default, and the users cannot maintain formulas or access the Visual Basic editor. For added security the VBA code in the worksheets and modules can be encrypted or for enhanced performance it can be compiled into lower level code?

Basically the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Publish to Office 365 Group (Groups you are part of)

Easy way to publish documents from Word/Excel/powerpoint (Office 2016) into Office 365 groups.

Currently not available needs asap!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Share

Please add "Present Online" as an option for sharing a document. This feature is available for Word, see
    https://blogs.office.com/2012/09/11/present-a-word-document-online/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. sharing particular sheet by onedrive

At present i'm sharing excel sheet with edit option to all department heads. problem is all department heads can access others department details too. if you make option to choose the particular work sheet to share with edit option, then it's very useful for sharing with required sheet only.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. you have taken a simple process, sending an excel attachment by gmail, and made it a nightmare. change back!!!

why cant i send excel attachment from gmail in a simple process (like it was the last time i used it) instead of 11 steps that disappear when i try to implement them? i dont want or need windows mail. stop trying to force me. i already have 2 email accounts and thats all i want.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. No sign-in for anonymous sharing links

As an educator, we frequently use forms and excel surveys to collect data from students and teachers. Recently, we began having students submit links to their projects in 365 for grading purposes. At this time of year, we are doing online Science Fair Projects.

Recently, I put in a support request (SR#616113094969040) because we discovered that when students properly get a "View Only, No Sign-in Required" link for their project and submit it in a Form, the "no sign-in" part of the link is overridden. Teachers and outside users attempt to click the link in the Excel spreadsheet, but it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Set up notifications for file changes from within Excel

In Office 365 we can now subscribe to file changes. It would be nice to set up these subscriptions/notifications within Office apps instead of having to open the browser and find the file we are currently in to set it up. Even if there is just a single button in Excel to take us directly to that file on the web and set up the notification. It would save a ton of clicks getting there.

Just opening "File Location" from the File menu isn't quite good enough if there are dozens/hundreds of files in a folder.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. MS Excel File Management

Excel (or word or MS office files) files created are not that hard to maintain. But If we are working on some medium projects, certainly number of excel files going to increase. Let us assume that the number of excel files have crossed to the point where you don't know which is which and even if you open the correct file still deep down you feel that the current opened excel might not be the latest.

What I am trying to say is that version control, file naming convention & saving a document by default location (safe from system failure)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Enable user to choose what Workbook Structure options they want protected

When you protect the workbook structure, it prevents anyone from inserting, deleting, hiding, unhiding, moving or copying the sheets and even stops them from changing the tab colour. It would be nice if we could choose WHAT to protect (eg only deleting and unhiding sheets).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base