Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Co-author

In collaboration/co-authoring situations, allow worksheet_change events that add additional data to a worksheet to be uploaded/updated to all users without the need to refresh the workbook.
    Also allow userforms that add data to work in the same way.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Autosave in Office 2016 (NOT Office 365) to enable Co-authoring

Autosave feature doesn't seem to be enabled in the DESKTOP version of Office 2016 when bought as a one-off licence (instead of buying Office via 365 subscription). This means we can't use Co-authoring.
    I have Office 2016 Home and Business installation Version 1709 Build 8528.2139 Click-to-run. 3 licences on 3 PCs in my office.

I have Office 365 Business essentials subscription giving us Exchange email, Onedrive, Skype etc on my 3 PCs.

I have previously used the "share workbook" feature to for multiple users to have an Excel spreadsheet open and modify simultaneously.

Microsoft are deprecating this function and suggest…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. There is no way to "pin" a Javascript Task Pane Add-In on a specific Excel Document

There is no proper way to "pin" a javascript Task Pane Add-In (from the Office Store or from an organizatioal source) to a specific Excel File. This should easily be possible by saving an Excel File with an open javascript Task Pane Add-In. If this file is opened by another user, the taskpane add-In should be added (if not yet done) and opened automatically. If the Excel file is saved without the open javascript add-In, then it is not pinned to the Excel File. This should work in all plattforms: Excel 2013, Excel 2016 Excel for Mac and Excel Online.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Templates to be Posted Online Behind a User Paywall

Many of us create templates that we would like others to be able to use and access, but due to the extraordinary amount of work and updating that is necessary to keep the template relevant today, it would be helpful to allow users to post templates behind a pay wall and perhaps be able to create a small business for themselves that could be enormously helpful to others. This would encourage many out there who are currently hoarding their spreadsheets and templates to share with others, thereby making everyone better off. And to avoid concerns regarding inproper copying, the spreadsheets…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. DISABLE DOWNLOAD BUTTON ON EXCEL ONLINE WHEN SHARE VIEW ONLY LINK

complete joke as I wasted hours trying to find the proper config because I thought, how was it that with all the gains in o365 that has taken place Microsoft actually thinks this is anything close to an acceptable status quo. VIEW only links are WORTHLESS if the recipient can download my file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bring back 'Send' as a default instead of 'Share'

The new 'Share' options, and specifically trying to default everything to OneDrive is terrible.

Adding clicks to sending traditional attachments to try and push your cloud storage garbage is driving away my organization.

More to the point, these new 'updates' that happen literally in the middle of the workday and change basic behavior within Office apps is the worst idea in Microsoft history, possibly behind Win ME and RT.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Use Mac Address for sheet protection

Many more are now realizing that the excels protect capabilities are not so good. How about using a computers MAC address to protect documents. Not VBA, not passwords but the physical address of a computer. I know people can spoof this though but wouldnt it take some real pc wizards to do so and people who are really trying to get into a document to edit it.

The point is so that we can safely distribute and time expire excel documents and only let certain people view and edit what we want them to and hide everything else.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Change default for new 'Share' function in Excel 2016

When I click the Share button on the top right, aside from it being a little slow, I would like to customise the default option that's presented.
    You currently are given the options:
    -Anyone
    -People in your organisation
    -People with existing access
    -Specific People.

When I click it I am defaulted to 'specific people', whereas more often than not I am sharing a document to a Group member who already has access rights, but needs to be pointed in the right direction.

I realise this isn't the case for everyone, but it would help m y workflow a lot to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Cambiar de Mayuscula a Minuscula

Buen dia

Existe un complemento que utilizo para la cambiar textos en mayuscula a Mayuscula en la primera letra y minuscula, como en Word,
    Favor tener en cuenta
    Al consolidar varias hojas, por ejemplo de estado financiero de cada mes, cada mes tiene una dos o tres cuentas nuevas. Al consolidar no me presenta las cuentas adicionadas ni el texto de las cuentas solo el codigo

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Co-editing like Google Sheets(color marker) who is working on which cell/row

It would be nice to see if Office 365 could be able to also in the desktop client co-edit within Excel, so you could see who was working and where they set their marker. Just like the color here is blue when I mark this cell I am active working in. Have you guys thought of that, and if yes, are you going to publish that to fasttrack?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. File print revisions time

The option to enhance revisions for user to be able to easily future print a document file as per a selected revision date, time, user maybe helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. File print revisions

The option for user to easily identify file print revisions numbers maybe helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. File share email option to password protection

The option for file share email option with password protection prompt and password protection auto undisclosed at file opening maybe helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. READ ONLY MESSAGE BOX

WHEN YOU OPEN AN EXCEL FILE AND SOMEONE ELSE ALREADY HAS IT OPEN, THEN A BOX SHOULD POP UP TELLING THE USER THAT IT IS READ ONLY.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Have Single Versions of Excel Application and PowerBI add-ins, Update ALL by Year

There are too many versions of Excel available.
    First there are the versions with the hidden, though extremely useful, PowerBI add-ins.
    Secondly you have the differen versions created by the incremental updates to Office365 versions versus the static "disk" based versions.
    The problems in this strategy include having documents exchanged between different organizations that may expect compatibility but do not. The ability to share files from the "same" application is an essential function for information exchange, yet the current update practices sabotage that expectation. Even smaller organizations may encounter issues due to different licensing strategies for users.
    Additionally, with Get…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. One Drive

After installing Excel 2016 I've used up the 5 gb of free space on One Drive. Now MS wants to sell me more for an outlandish price. When I save my work, now I get a yellow warning banner telling me there's no space on One Drive. So what! But it wants me to either save a copy (already have one file) or discard changes, in which case I lose all the changes. Here's a suggestion, Don't warn me, I don't care for One Drive to begin with, I have my own backup system which doesn't include allowing MS to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Remove Hidden Names

Make it easier to remove "Hidden Names" from a file in preparation for sharing.

Here is what happens today if I inspect a document prior to sharing with a third party:

{See attached screen captures}

1) It says "Hidden Names" were found. I click for "More Info".

2) The "More Info" dialog informs me that it can't remove these names for me. I need to run a macro, and there is a link to "Macro to Remove Hidden Names". I click on this.

3) I am taken to an example macro, which "assumes I am familiar with the programming language…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Need to improve Protection options in Excel

I think the security/protection scheme used in Excel is terribly complex, for something as fundamental as this needs to be.

By way of example, I'd like to see the ability to create and send out a workbook, that requires a password to open any given (but not all) worksheets within that workbook. What I want is the ability to let some people have access to a given worksheet within Excel, but to keep others out of that worksheet, (not even the ability to open or otherwise see the sheet) while still giving them access to other sheets within that workbook.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base