Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Links Between Excel and Word when File Locations are changed

In Word 2003 I was able to link to 2003 Excel cell data, and have it update, including when i copied the 2 files (word and excel) to a new directory, and in Word,the source file would change to the location of the new excel file. In Word 2016 that option is not available and this is very crucial to our business. Each of our hundreds of projects has their own file folder and excel file with project specific data. The multiple word documents each of our projects uses links to that one excel file. now with the new 2016…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create an icon that you can click and drag into an email to add the file as an attachment.

Create an icon that you can click and drag into an email to add the file as an attachment.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sharing or permitting viewing of a particular sheet as opoosed to the whole file

When sending links or adding viewers to the excel file there should/could be a function where the viewer is only able to see what the owner wants them to see for example a sheet as opposed to the whole file and all the sheets

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Re-introduce single user at a time write access to workbook.

In older versions a second user opening a workbook would be prompted to open a read only copy or be notified when the file was available for write access. This was ideal for many users who do not need co-author and where legacy does not work or is to complicated

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. The ability to have multiple people edit one spreadsheet at the same time

The ability to add different people to a spreadsheet, that is stored in the cloud, and they can all edit it at the same time, and it automatically updates as soon as they edit it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Email collaborators

Have a feature in Excel that says "email collaborators" or "email shared contacts" so that in one quick button you can email everyone, advise them you've updated the doc, and automatically include a link to the shared file. This seems so intuitive and it does not exist.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Interoperability problem with Excel Online

I'm sharing a rather basic Excel 2016 file I've created with some other people so that they can enter data into it using Excel Online.

Very frequently, I'm facing the following issue: some cells containing (integer) numbers with the "General" formatting style have their formatting changed to "Accounting" resulting in "1" being displayed as "€ 1.00". If I fix this from the Excel 2016 side of the equation, it comes back some time later.

I'm unable to repro this by editing the file myself via Excel Online (I've tried using https://1drv.ms/x/s!AjBPRo9wXw9s2eZp7PUayA9Pg1rHaw), so it must be linked to some of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Co-author

In collaboration/co-authoring situations, allow worksheet_change events that add additional data to a worksheet to be uploaded/updated to all users without the need to refresh the workbook.
    Also allow userforms that add data to work in the same way.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Autosave in Office 2016 (NOT Office 365) to enable Co-authoring

Autosave feature doesn't seem to be enabled in the DESKTOP version of Office 2016 when bought as a one-off licence (instead of buying Office via 365 subscription). This means we can't use Co-authoring.

I have Office 2016 Home and Business installation Version 1709 Build 8528.2139 Click-to-run. 3 licences on 3 PCs in my office.

I have Office 365 Business essentials subscription giving us Exchange email, Onedrive, Skype etc on my 3 PCs.

I have previously used the "share workbook" feature to for multiple users to have an Excel spreadsheet open and modify simultaneously.

Microsoft are deprecating this function and suggest…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. There is no way to "pin" a Javascript Task Pane Add-In on a specific Excel Document

There is no proper way to "pin" a javascript Task Pane Add-In (from the Office Store or from an organizatioal source) to a specific Excel File. This should easily be possible by saving an Excel File with an open javascript Task Pane Add-In. If this file is opened by another user, the taskpane add-In should be added (if not yet done) and opened automatically. If the Excel file is saved without the open javascript add-In, then it is not pinned to the Excel File. This should work in all plattforms: Excel 2013, Excel 2016 Excel for Mac and Excel Online.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Remove Hidden Names

Make it easier to remove "Hidden Names" from a file in preparation for sharing.

Here is what happens today if I inspect a document prior to sharing with a third party:

{See attached screen captures}

1) It says "Hidden Names" were found. I click for "More Info".

2) The "More Info" dialog informs me that it can't remove these names for me. I need to run a macro, and there is a link to "Macro to Remove Hidden Names". I click on this.

3) I am taken to an example macro, which "assumes I am familiar with the programming language…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. If you are in a Named Cell, Display the name somewhere

I am using a spreadsheet that makes rocket science look simple. This workbook has hundreds of named cells, but unless I go look in the Name Manager I have no idea a cell is named.

It would be nice if up at the top you displayed the name 'Name: Calc1' or something.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. email collaborators

From within Office, you can share a doc with someone new, but not email anyone who already has access (for example, if you want to notify them that you updated the doc). I want to be able to email collaborators without having to manually open an email message in Outlook, find the sharing link on SharePoint, and lookup the emails of everyone who has access to the doc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Unwanted "Copy of " profix added to file names

When I am sent a file via email, and I save it to my computer, it always adds "Copy of " to every fine name. It is very annoying to have to delete this every time. Is there a way to turn this feature off? I have searched online but not found solutions that are usable for non-programmers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Sending selected worksheet over an email without any other sheets

I work on excel file with multiple sheets whenever i want to send my working i need to copy it to new excel and send it. Can we have option of sending the selected worksheet over an email as new excel file with the name as your worksheet.

This will reduce lot of time and data for not saving in multiple files. Helps user to check in single file.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Change "Update Links on Save" to not change SharePoint Online URLs

I have a document with a full URL to another SharePoint Online document. If you open that Excel document stored in SharePoint Online and edit with Excel desktop it by default changes the full https://tenant.sharepoint.com URL to a relative path "../_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?"

This results in the hyperlink no longer working when the Excel doc is viewed in Excel Online or after download and open for viewing in the desktop app.

The Update Links on Save feature should not alter SharePoint Online URLs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Compile excel files similar to powerpoint show

I would like the ability to 'compile' workbooks into a more secure file format similar to how you can save a powerpoint show. Something like .xlcx or .xlcm for compiled files.

User still need excel to open such files, but when they open it, there is a 'landing sheet/form', the ribbon bar is hidden completely, right-click menus disabled by default, and the users cannot maintain formulas or access the Visual Basic editor. For added security the VBA code in the worksheets and modules can be encrypted or for enhanced performance it can be compiled into lower level code?

Basically the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Set up notifications for file changes from within Excel

In Office 365 we can now subscribe to file changes. It would be nice to set up these subscriptions/notifications within Office apps instead of having to open the browser and find the file we are currently in to set it up. Even if there is just a single button in Excel to take us directly to that file on the web and set up the notification. It would save a ton of clicks getting there.

Just opening "File Location" from the File menu isn't quite good enough if there are dozens/hundreds of files in a folder.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Enable user to choose what Workbook Structure options they want protected

When you protect the workbook structure, it prevents anyone from inserting, deleting, hiding, unhiding, moving or copying the sheets and even stops them from changing the tab colour. It would be nice if we could choose WHAT to protect (eg only deleting and unhiding sheets).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base