Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Links Between Excel and Word when File Locations are changed

In Word 2003 I was able to link to 2003 Excel cell data, and have it update, including when i copied the 2 files (word and excel) to a new directory, and in Word,the source file would change to the location of the new excel file. In Word 2016 that option is not available and this is very crucial to our business. Each of our hundreds of projects has their own file folder and excel file with project specific data. The multiple word documents each of our projects uses links to that one excel file. now with the new 2016…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please help the syncing work better, it works great when it does but it keeps coming out of sync.

The syncing between two people is horrendous, it doesn't upload sometimes an I lose all my data. I'm trying to keep these spreadsheets up to date and have only two people working on it at the same time, but it constantly goes out of sync. Wifi is working fine. Please make this work better.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add spread sheet comparison to business premium 2016

Add spread sheet comparison to business premium 2016

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Merge two workbooks into a single file

merge 2,3 different excel files into one

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create an icon that you can click and drag into an email to add the file as an attachment.

Create an icon that you can click and drag into an email to add the file as an attachment.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. entire document needing translation, very disapointing this is not a feature

entire document translation has been requested many times, still can't believe this is not already a feature

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Only change a file when a change has been made

If I have a file stored on a dropbox area, as soon as a file is opened, dropbox notifies others that a file has changed when it is only viewed. This is can get very annoying. Especially as excel can't compare documents. Not everyone uses onedrive (or wants to use onedrive for documents) !

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Provide a solid an easy to use interface, to store sheet data in MySQL or Postgress etc.

I now build Multi-User-EXCEL-Systems for more then 10 years, using MS-SQL-Server to store the date. But in These days, user are often not in the Office, but at home ore elsewhere. For this reason, I'd like to have an Interface, wich can easyli create read and update SQL Records on WebDatabases like Postgress MySQL and others.
    Please visit this https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/die-beziehungen-von-erp-und-excel-dieter-reimann/ to get Closer to the idea.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. drop full book in

drop full book into new book and show second row of tabs (a book within a book) so you can cross link information in one package

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Sharing or permitting viewing of a particular sheet as opoosed to the whole file

When sending links or adding viewers to the excel file there should/could be a function where the viewer is only able to see what the owner wants them to see for example a sheet as opposed to the whole file and all the sheets

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Re-introduce single user at a time write access to workbook.

In older versions a second user opening a workbook would be prompted to open a read only copy or be notified when the file was available for write access. This was ideal for many users who do not need co-author and where legacy does not work or is to complicated

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. The ability to have multiple people edit one spreadsheet at the same time

The ability to add different people to a spreadsheet, that is stored in the cloud, and they can all edit it at the same time, and it automatically updates as soon as they edit it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Exact arithmetic

I developed an algorithm for exact decimal arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) that works with numbers in the int and double (IEEE754) format without involving library functions. The algorithm performs calculations with the same accuracy, as if the calculations were performed manually. As an example, an 18-bit calculator was implemented programmatically. The Preliminary application was submitted to USPTO.
    The program was launched on the processor Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-4330 CPU@3.50GHz 3.50 GHz. The RAM is 8.0 GB. System Type: 64-bit. The speed was equal to multiplication ≈ 2.4 * 10 ^ 6 per second.
    Interested in selling a license. …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Voice recording in Add/Edit Comment

When inserting comments in Excel, recording a voice comment would be a significant improvement for promulgating ideas and documentation--very helpful for training.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Email collaborators

Have a feature in Excel that says "email collaborators" or "email shared contacts" so that in one quick button you can email everyone, advise them you've updated the doc, and automatically include a link to the shared file. This seems so intuitive and it does not exist.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. E-transmit for Excel's Get&Transform

You are probably familiar with the etransmit command in AutoCAD. It gives the option to automatically group all linked files (when you work with references) and create a zip file, ready to be sent to people you work with. Also these people need not to know how to re-link files at their own personal computers, as after un-zipping the file, the links work locally - the file paths start from the un-zipped folder.
    I recently started linking files in Excel - this option is GREAT, it saves computing resources, keeps the files small and errors are easily found. The only…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Send to Email for sheet or selection like OneNote

Lets say I build a report based on data numbers and charts that I send out monthly. I want to keep the same formatting, colors, template, charts, all that changes are a few numbers and data in the charts...Copying the range and pasting into Outlook is not clean. Colors change, sizes of the charts change as well as the positions. If we had a Send to Mail feature it could create a new mail, include the data and charts in the current format without having to tweak things again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Interoperability problem with Excel Online

I'm sharing a rather basic Excel 2016 file I've created with some other people so that they can enter data into it using Excel Online.

Very frequently, I'm facing the following issue: some cells containing (integer) numbers with the "General" formatting style have their formatting changed to "Accounting" resulting in "1" being displayed as "€ 1.00". If I fix this from the Excel 2016 side of the equation, it comes back some time later.

I'm unable to repro this by editing the file myself via Excel Online (I've tried using https://1drv.ms/x/s!AjBPRo9wXw9s2eZp7PUayA9Pg1rHaw), so it must be linked to some of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base