Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add UNC Path Option in When Sharing

When you are editing a file on a shared drive, you should allow the user to "attach" a UNC link to the file in the same way you provide Sharepoint/OneDrive links.

As extra credit, you should check to make sure that the recipients have access to the file (at the very least, you should warn if sending to external email addresses).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel Collaboration and Sharing

Issue:
    There are many times where my co-workers and I are required to work in the same spreadsheet simultaneously. The excel web application allows us to do this but does not contain the full functionality of excel that is required to do our work. Although Excel already has as shared spreadsheet option, each time a user wants to see updates, they have to save and hope the other person saved their updates as well.

Solution:
    It would be great to use excel and collaborate in real time just as the web app does but within the excel platform on our…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. READ ONLY MESSAGE BOX

WHEN YOU OPEN AN EXCEL FILE AND SOMEONE ELSE ALREADY HAS IT OPEN, THEN A BOX SHOULD POP UP TELLING THE USER THAT IT IS READ ONLY.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PDF share

When I an in excel and go file, share, email as a pdf I only want to share the current tab not the whole spreadsheet. The print dialog box should come up so I can choose what I want to share.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Adding comment (tool tip) in chart (to various elements of the chart, data points, etc.)

To be able to add comments to a specific data labels in a chart (can be bar chart, line chart)

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is an interesting idea that we’ll consider for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

7. SharePoint List Sync

Bring back the SharePoint List sync feature enabling 2-way synchronization between an Excel table and a SharePoint Online List.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. read only mode

Excel 2016 workbooks open in read only mode from SharePoint and Edit needs to be enabled everytime.

I open and edit the same workbook 100 times every day. I wish that I could open the Excel without clicking the Edit button every single time.

220 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

53 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option to Export all sheets to individual CSV files

On the File > Export screen, a single button to "Export all sheets as CSV files" would be awesome. It can use the sheet name to name the files.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. File Format which contains only value, no formula. e.g. "xlsf"

My idea is to create an own excel filefomat, which contain all spreadsheets and diagram etc. but only with cell values, not with formulas. Before saving, Excel will fill all cells with the actuall values. It's like selecting all sheets, copy, and paste only values.

If you send this file to other people, it doesn't matter if you use one, vba based, formula or formula which are excisting only in an add-in you use. It's like creating a pdf-file, but you've the full excel-support in your file and the files would be much smaller.

I work as an managing accountant…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Excel files to be easily compiled into a secure .exe file format to prevent copying.

Excel may be powerful, but its security is WEAK and can be HACKED easily. There are an increasing number of competitors who offer the ability to "compile" Excel files into a .exe file. It would be better if Microsoft offered this ability themselves.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Google Drive Service

It would be greater if I MS Office add Google Drive for user to open documents form that service as well.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ability to comment within formulas

Allow us to add commentary to formulas. While it is best practice to break up large formulas over multiple cells, sometimes it has been necessary that I must create large (or just simply complex) formulas. The ability to add commentary would help tremendously for my users or future administrators who are tasked with updating or understanding my financial models.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Comments - stop resizing and moving comments

When hiding and un-hiding rows, or moving rows, or having freeze panes on, the comments on cells for no reason stretch or move far down one's sheet. It would be really nice if the size of the comment stays as is and it doesn't move all over.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve onedrive so that changes to a shared workbook update to everyone a lot faster and more reliably.

Improve onedrive so that changes to a shared workbook update to everyone a lot faster and more reliably.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When protecting a worksheet, add option to allow users of the worksheet to add a row entry.

When protecting a worksheet, add option to allow users of the worksheet to add a row entry. Currently there are options to allow users of protected worksheets to edit entries and delete them but not to add new ones to the last row. EG: I have a worksheet which works out due dates based on last seen dates. The staff I work with are great but will type over the formula if left unprotected, this means I need to protect the worksheet on those columns. When I do this, the staff can add a line but the formula will not…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Sharable link to specific tab in spreadsheet

It is common to have multiple tabs in your spreadsheet and only want people you collaborate with to work on a specific tab, or at least focus on one.
    I would like to be able to share a link to an Excel spreadsheet that opens the document on a specific tab.
    I envision the feature to be exposed via a right click on the tab and as an additional option in the Share box which would default to the currently opened tab.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Live workbooks - being able to be in it at the same time as someone else

It would be great if there was a way for 2 or 3 people to be in a workbook at the same time and see live changes whilst they're happening.

My colleagues and I work near enough solely on Excel and emails due to the line of work we are in. It is very annoying if someone goes in and inputs something and I put in something else or change whatever is already there and it gets over written because the other person saves it before you do or vice versa.

It would be great it this was an option…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I would like a way that I can let a coworker add to the spread sheet but not delete anything.

I have noticed some data missing when a spread sheet is shared with a coworker. I would like the coworker to be able to add info to the spreadsheet. I would like to block the coworker from deleting or editing what I have entered.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Links Between Excel and Word when File Locations are changed

In Word 2003 I was able to link to 2003 Excel cell data, and have it update, including when i copied the 2 files (word and excel) to a new directory, and in Word,the source file would change to the location of the new excel file. In Word 2016 that option is not available and this is very crucial to our business. Each of our hundreds of projects has their own file folder and excel file with project specific data. The multiple word documents each of our projects uses links to that one excel file. now with the new 2016…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base