Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix comments displaying across frozen panes

Comment bubbles only "float" over the fixed worksheet area that's set by default or that's manually changed by the user. They also will float over hidden adjacent rows or columns. However, if a comment is in a cell that's fixed using the "freeze panes" feature but the worksheet display isn't contiguous to the comment bubble, the bubble will be cut off instead of float over the frozen panes.

This makes it impossible to read a comment saved in a row 1 header field (say to read details of what type of data is supposed to go there) but the cell…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Send in-application notifications to those shared on a workbook.

In a shared document, other team members may be waiting for me to make some changes or I may have a question about something in the doc. There should be a way to click on the share button and then send an email notification to those shared on the workbook: "Hey folks, I just got such and such done, so now you can do x, y, or z" or "Can someone explain why ...."

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Set default date format independent of User & native settings

We have strict date format rules for documenting R&D work. It would be nice to set that to default date format no matter who opens the file (internal, external, US, UK, etc.). Currently, the only open is to change each date using Custom Date format and copying and pasting the format, which is tedious. I'm not sure if enabling in the Options would be the solution.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable data query refresh (with PowerPivot tables) when workbook structure is protected

I want to protect the queries from being changed but want users to have the capability to refresh the data model (that uses PowerPivot).

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Currency conversion

Simple option analogues to "find and replace" can be added.
    Step 1- Select the cells you want to apply currency conversion
    Step 2- Either excel automatically detects what currency it is or you can select what currency it is on the cell
    Step 3- select the currency you want to convert to? select the exchange rate(users should have options to use real time rated or predefined at that moment)
    Step 4- Your cell have been converted to desired currency.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Autosave is a disaster

Autosave is fine for a phone but using in in the "real" (Desktop - paid for) version of Excel is a terrible idea.

I have my main files on a portable running Win 10 Desktop and I save first to a local drive expecting them then to be updated in my OneDrive.

This hasn't happened. My iPad copies are the versions since before the misguided upgrade to the Desktop version that made AutoSave compulsary. Files are not then saved on the portable but marked Update Pending which is useless when later in the day I want to check - for…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Lock and unlock worksheets

As owner of a workbook I don't want other users to amend formulas. I do however reserve the right to amend them myself. This functionality would allow me to make edits remotely without losing my control over the integrity of the calculations in the workbook.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. more intelligent autosave default

Hi there, the new auto save function causing more problems than it is resolving because it is on by default regardless of the nature of the workbooks. I recommend that the user is rather prompted to enable autosave on workbooks with macros or with file sizes > 1Mb instead of enabling it by default.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. gmail account

have it so i can click a gmail logo and it will send me to my gmail account with the attached form in the new email......

or have it like google docs i can see other people edit it at the same time as me

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add Comment Pane similar to MS Word in Excel. It's exceptional hard to see comments in Excel this would really help.

Add Comment Pane similar to MS Word in Excel. It's exceptional hard to see comments in Excel this would really help.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable coauthoring to work with files stored on Dropbox and other cloud storage providers.

Co-authoring works well on Excel desktop in conjunction with OneDrive based files. There is however currently no solution for businesses using Dropbox or other cloud providers.

Can we enable co-authoring with these too? Particularly Dropbox.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add UNC Path Option in When Sharing

When you are editing a file on a shared drive, you should allow the user to "attach" a UNC link to the file in the same way you provide Sharepoint/OneDrive links.

As extra credit, you should check to make sure that the recipients have access to the file (at the very least, you should warn if sending to external email addresses).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel Collaboration and Sharing

Issue:
    There are many times where my co-workers and I are required to work in the same spreadsheet simultaneously. The excel web application allows us to do this but does not contain the full functionality of excel that is required to do our work. Although Excel already has as shared spreadsheet option, each time a user wants to see updates, they have to save and hope the other person saved their updates as well.

Solution:
    It would be great to use excel and collaborate in real time just as the web app does but within the excel platform on our…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. READ ONLY MESSAGE BOX

WHEN YOU OPEN AN EXCEL FILE AND SOMEONE ELSE ALREADY HAS IT OPEN, THEN A BOX SHOULD POP UP TELLING THE USER THAT IT IS READ ONLY.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. PDF share

When I an in excel and go file, share, email as a pdf I only want to share the current tab not the whole spreadsheet. The print dialog box should come up so I can choose what I want to share.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Adding comment (tool tip) in chart (to various elements of the chart, data points, etc.)

To be able to add comments to a specific data labels in a chart (can be bar chart, line chart)

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is an interesting idea that we’ll consider for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

18. SharePoint List Sync

Bring back the SharePoint List sync feature enabling 2-way synchronization between an Excel table and a SharePoint Online List.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. read only mode

Excel 2016 workbooks open in read only mode from SharePoint and Edit needs to be enabled everytime.

I open and edit the same workbook 100 times every day. I wish that I could open the Excel without clicking the Edit button every single time.

221 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

53 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Option to Export all sheets to individual CSV files

On the File > Export screen, a single button to "Export all sheets as CSV files" would be awesome. It can use the sheet name to name the files.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base