Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the black and grey boxes that cover the screen when you scroll

Whenever I scroll too fast in Excel on my PC black and grey boxes appear everywhere and cover what I am working on. This is incredibly frustrating because there is no way to get rid of the boxes.

This only happens on my external display and it only happens in Excel.

Please fix this issue.

https://superuser.com/questions/1053006/excel-grey-and-black-boxes-on-secondary-display

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

92 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for opening this item and the feedback folks! Please provide more info on the type of Display monitors that you experience this issue with. Also continue voting on this which will increase its likelihood of getting prioritized for fixing in the product.

thanx,
    Prash [MSFT]

2. Better testing with large, complex workbooks

I work with a large, complex workbook (several MBytes, about 150 worksheets). Excel crashes several times per day, and even crashes Windows 10 regularly with a stack overflow. Simple VBA code that works with small workbooks will regularly crash Excel (e.g., For Each ws In wb.Worksheets; do something simple; next ws). I suspect that the problems are memory or stack related, but my real request is for the testers to specifically create test cases based on huge workbooks, then see what happens.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’d love to get samples of these workbooks that are crashing, along with steps that cause them to crash. Until then, there’s not much we can do without more data.

If you have such a workbook, please create a new idea entitled “I have a workbook that crashes, which I want to send you” and I’ll get back to you with an email address where you can send it so we can take a look and fix the problem.

Thanks!
    Dan [MS]

3. unstable

Excel freezes; unstable can't handle large number of large files. New features are great but would rather have more stable product

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

info needed  ·  2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow double byte languages in dialogs

Many dialog boxes display gibberish when double-byte languages (kanji/chinese/etc) should be displayed. Some dialog boxes allow these, while others do not. Please enable all programming objects to use/store/display double byte.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Dave,

Can you list the dialogs where you see a problem (and the version of Excel that you’re using)?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base