Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. make excel 2016 as stable as previous versions

Make Excel 2016 as stable as previous versions
    We run complex spreadsheets with conditional formatting and links between spreadsheets and macros to drive behavior - this is both inherently slow (on various different computers) and unstable - crashes almost daily
    Previous versions of Excel handled these same spreadsheets cleanly and easily !!!

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

26 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all who voted! And we hear you loud and clear and we have been working hard at improving Excel 2016 stability on-going with every monthly release with our January monthly channel release at historically low levels based on our internal measures.

Moving forward, please send us feedback from within Excel, which includes actionable crash information we monitor regularly. Once Excel reboots from a crash please goto File → Feedback → Send a Frown, provide information on what Excel specific action you were doing when the crash occurred and press the “Submit” button.

thanx,
    Prash [MSFT]

2. stupid speling correction

hey hey hey ! what is this ! i am trying to type a name list (teh) excel change back (the) and keep changing and changing u think u fking god know what i want is it ! i HAVE NO TIME FOR TIS ****.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have good news to share. In the January 2019 release of Excel for both Mac and Windows, this issue has been resolved. Once you install the update, Excel will allow you to override any autocorrection simply by going back and typing over the correction. For example, if you type “HSA” into cell A1, Excel will autocorrect it to “HAS”. If you go back and type “HSA” again in the same place, Excel will not correct it again. It will still autocorrect “HSA” if you type it into a different location, or if another autocorrection happens before you change “HAS” back to “HSA”. To summarize, Excel will no longer make the same autocorrection 2 times consecutively.

This fix is included in Excel for Mac if you have version 16.20 or greater, and Excel for Windows if you have version 16.0.11126 or greater.

3. Found an error in Excel 2016 help documentation

The results column in the help window for the index function just mirrors the formula. Looks like it's because there's an apostrophe before the formula. Not sure where to report this. Looks like it's the same for 2013 too.

Screen shot can be found here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-excel/found-an-error-in-excel-2016-help-documentation/410a27a3-0b3b-41c7-a99c-8fc2ff323542?tm=1472245876517

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the heads up. We’ve updated the topic, so the changes should go through shortly.

(And thanks Smitty for making the update!)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

4. HTML formatted files (with an XLS extension) no longer opened

Since a recent update HTML formatted files with .xls extension are no longer opened. When downloading such a file Excel opens but does not open the file anymore, it just shows a blank screen, no error message. This used to work for years and was very easy to create reports from our intranet by just sending HTML files with Excel headers out. Because of this we now have to re-engineer all reports, please bring the functionality back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

We’ve released a fix for this issue. I’m copying the official release notes for it here, as this is part of several different updates to several different versions of Office:

The Excel team has released a change in behavior in today’s security update for Excel 2010, 2013, and 2016. Excel will warn about the mismatch between the file extension and HTML content, but will now open the workbook in Protected View as an additional layer of security. If you trust the workbook, you can then enable editing. The behavior of .xla and .xlam files will remain the same.

How do I get the update? It depends on which version of Office you have.
    • Office 365 subscription (Click-to-Run)—install the latest updates
    • Windows Installer version (MSI)—you could wait about a week for the next security update for MSI, and it will update automatically. Or, to…

5. Excel Ink Broken in NEW ways

Fix The Pen, Now. I spent $$$$$$ on the Surface Book, and now the main purpose of buying it is DEAD.

Specifically, Excel sporadically chooses when and when not to allow pen for inking. Sometimes there is an invisible box where writing isn't allowed. Sometimes it works okay, but I am literally in the cold sweat mode hoping it works each time. Maybe I need counseling?

By the way, I have an audience of 50-100 future business managers every day, watching me use this. I get a new group every 3-4 months. Guess what I complain about!?

Fix it. Then…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix the 'Apply Names' bug that corrupts formulas or crashes Excel

As already reported in

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/when-will-the-apply-names-bug-in-excel-be-fixed/0eb23d54-fbf0-4c64-8bad-cf52bc32547f?auth=1

The Apply Names command loses parts of formulas and in certain cases Excel will crash.

This bug is in Excel 2010 and 2013 and 2016, not in Excel 2007 or 2003.
    To reproduce this, follow these steps.

Enter 2 in B1 and 3 in B2
    Enter =B1 in A4
    Enter =B2 in A5

Give $B$1 the name "value_1"
    Give $B$2 the name "value_2"

Enter the formulas below starting in B4, and then click Names > Apply Names and select both names.

=B2/B1
    =$B$2/$B$1
    =$B$2/B1
    =B2/$B$1

In B4 The expected result is =value_2/value_1, what you get…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

I just read through the answers.microsoft.com post that you linked to, and it appears that this is fixed in Excel 2016 build 16.0.6568.2025.

Also, we’d like to try to keep this uservoice site for new feature ideas, rather than for bug fixes (which answers.microsoft.com is targeted at.)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base