Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Office 14 Can't do a case-sensitive sort on Cyrillic.

I'm running Office 14 on Windows 7. I tried sorting a Russian word list using a case-sensitive sort.
    Data > Sort > Options > Case Sensitive
    It ignored me and sorted case-insensitive

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix page break behaviour when hiding rightmost column

When I hide the rightmost populated column in Excel 2016, the page break does not get applied anymore.
    I have a spreadsheet that spans over 3 pages in length. When I hide the rightmost populated column, Excel will only print what is on page 1.
    The print preview says it is printing Page 1 of 1 and I can't get any of the other content to show. I tried all available options in the "Scale to Fit" section of the Ribbon, but nothing changes the behaviour of only printing page 1.
    When I unhide the column again, the correct 3…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. To use the existence of freezing formulas for programming in the spreadsheet itself (an example house.xls is enclosed)

I have managed to construct freezing formulas, i.e.formulas that do not change their values when a formula on which it depends does. Based on this phenomenon, counters can be constructed and programs can be written in the spreadsheet exclusively. I shall try to send you an example of such a program as an enclosure.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. MROUND function may give incorrect results

For instance :
    MROUND(4.04,0.1) result : 4
    MROUND(14.04,0.1) result : 14.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Leap Year support to Autocomplete

I just tried autofilling a row in Excel with fortnightly dates this year and on the crossover from February to March the 29th was ignored and subsequent dates were a day out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Crash after moving a column behind a column with conditional formatting (icon set with TODAY() function)

Using Excel 2013 (4787.1002), I still notice a repeatable crash.

The bug in a few sentences:
    Format two columns with some rows as table and create an icon set rule for the second column, e.g. the red, yellow and green circle (traffic lights). Now, modify the rule and define that the green circle appears with the function =TODAY()+3, the yellow with =TODAY()+2 and the red with =TODAY(). You could also use =TODAY() only for all three cases, that does not matter. Save the rule, mark the whole first column and move it to the right end of the second row.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix the method for Power Law and Exponential Curve fitting

I do not like the method for fitting data to a power law or exponential fit. I have a set of data that Minitab makes a good curve of best fit for, and Excel doesn't even get the concavity of the curve right.
    At least make the method an option. A lot of people use excel exclusively, and for subtle misses, it will not be obvious. But if the method used by excel can be OBVIOUSLY wrong, then the method should be improved. I have a graph and sample data at
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/excel-2010-power-law-curve-fit-is-completely-wrong/c299641c-c047-422d-a7a1-1f591f90713a?tm=1453063613028

To explain my beef.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Calculation error in Excel?

The result of the calculation "2.8 / 0.4" is the integer 7 and apparently Excel does a correct calculation.

However, when I make a Vlookup based on this calculation with the ‘range lookup’ parameter set to "1" (TRUE) the formula returns ‘Value 1’ from below table, where I would expect it to return ‘Value 2’.

Lookup value Return value
    4 Value 1
    7 Value 2

If I Round the calculation “2.8 / 0.4” it the formula correctly returns ‘Value 2’.

If I uses Range Parameter "0" (FALSE) the formula returns '#I/T'

It looks like the real lookup value is 6.999…99999…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix all the non informative error messsages

"The picture is too large and will be truncated",
    "Too many styles",
    There is a large selection in the clipboard..."
    "Save as csv"...
    "save failed"
    modal error boxes in the VBA editor when a line of code is not completed.
    and VBA error messages with error codes and no further explanations.

I don't think any of these error messages is helpful, they slow our workflow, and modern applications have a more graceful way of dealing with these problems.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I had excel on this machine when I had windows 8 - Microsoft offered to put windows 10 onit free and I accepted - however I now havent got E

I WANT THE EXCEL I PAID FOR WHEN I BOUGHT THE MACHINE AND WHICH HAS DISAPEARED WHEN MICRO SOFT INSTALLED 10 - REPLACING WINDOWS 8 - WHY IS THIS SO - I WANT MY EXCEL WHICH I PAID FOR BACK.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Problem with Excel 2010

I run Excel 2010 on a Windows 7, 64 bit platform. When the software opens, there is a RED line under the “A” (for font color) in the font tab.

This would indicate to any normal person that they would be typing in RED and need to change it. BUT NO, the font color is Automatic Black (as it should be) when I start typing.

When I open the Font Tab and manually select Automatic Black, the color of the line under the “A” in the Tab changes to black. I save the doc. Close Excel. Re-open Excel and the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix interface implementation bug on worksheets.

Excel compiles this code:

'
    'Class IView (interface):
    '
    Option Explicit

Public Function SayHello() As String
    End Function

'
    'Microsoft Excel Object Worksheet1 (IView implementation)
    '(Instancing: PublicNotCreatable)
    '
    Option Explicit

Implements IView

Private Function IView_SayHello() As String

IView_SayHello = Worksheet1.Cells(1, 1).Value

End Function

When saved (tested on every possible version of Excel) and opend again application crashes or corrupts workbook.

Can you fix this? That would open many new possibilites for developers, for example implementing MVP pattern.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow double byte languages in dialogs

Many dialog boxes display gibberish when double-byte languages (kanji/chinese/etc) should be displayed. Some dialog boxes allow these, while others do not. Please enable all programming objects to use/store/display double byte.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Dave,

Can you list the dialogs where you see a problem (and the version of Excel that you’re using)?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

14. When linking to a value that is

When linking to a value that is formatted as text the linked value also becomes text and shows up as "=shet1!a1" instead of the actual value. To fix this, it's necessary to manually reformat each cell as general. Not only that but after reformatting as general the formula has to be acknowledged, either by reentering or just pressing F2 [enter}

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Running Excel as an Admin Bug

Setting Excel properties to run as an administrator on Windows 10 and then opening an excel file by double clicking on it will produce the error: "There was a problem sending the command to the program". This bug seems to be somehow related to UAC being enabled, as this bug does not happen when UAC is disabled. However, knowing Windows 10 requires UAC to be enabled in order for apps to function, it's not an option to disable UAC. Excel needs to run as an administrator in order for the Excel DDE server to work correctly with external programs. The…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. konsolliderade? hur hjälper Ni med detta?

Det finns brist på säkerhet konsolideringen är kass

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. my created files gets switched off whenever i try to open it

the created files gets switched of in 4-5 minutes

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base