Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix bug with importing forms in VBA

When exporting a form in Excel VBA, then importing it again, a newline is added to the beginning of the form code. Each time the form is exported/imported, another newline is added, so after many exports/imports there will be a huge number of newlines in the code.

This would make it slightly easier for those of us who export/import forms to work on version control on the code.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I have trouble with the program crashing pretty much daily

Excel frequently stops working can't seems to see a pattern to it right now. It is extremely frustrating

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. VBA & Excel COUNTIF(...,"<"&...) differ due to VBA format error

If A2 is =55/97, Excel =COUNTIF(A2,"<"&A2) correctly returns 0, but VBA WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("A2"),"<"&Range("A2")) returns 1(!). The problem is: VBA formats the 15-significant-digit value as 0.567010309278351, whereas Excel formats it as 0.567010309278350. Excel is correct because the exact internal representation is 0.567010309278350,4994400800569565035402774810791015625. (I use period as decimal point and comma to demarcate the first 15 significant digits.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Excel 2016 Bug with Cursor - Right to Left Languages

I have several computers. two of them is with Windows 10 and Office 2013/2016.
    I noticed a bug with the typing cursor.
    I use both English, a left-to-right language, and Hebrew, a right-to-left language, and each has a different typing cursor, a straight line ( | ) for left-to-right and a "hyphenated" line ( `| ) for right to left.
    The problem is that in Excel 2016, the moment I switch my language to Hebrew and type something, it locks the cursor in the right-to-left configuration, even when I switch back to English, which gets very confusing, since the appearance…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Correct format on trend line in Excel 16 chart

When formatting the trend line the format box defaults to "Trendline options". When the "fill" icon is selected, the box defaults to "Format Shape" rather than stay on the selected trendline

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make Excel work better with OneDrive

Please put some work into file synchronization with OneDrive (personal and OneDrive for Business).

I am constantly having synchronization trouble with Excel files stored on OneDrive. I have used Excel with Office 365 in a personal environment and in a corporate environment, on Windows and Mac OS X, and on different kinds of networks. There is always a problem with Excel files going out of sync.

Frequently, the server and the local version are claimed to be different but turn out to be identical. I never have a problem with Word or PowerPoint, but have trouble from once a week…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Correct Representation of "0"-Values

Ich habe hier ein interessantes Phänomen (Excel 2013 Windows Desktop):
    In der Spalte "Tagessaldo" befindet sich eine sorgfältig geschriebene Abfrage,
    die dazu führen soll, dass Zeitwerte <0 dargestellt werden können.
    Im vorliegenden Beispiel behauptet Excel nun, der Wert wäre kleiner als
    0, obwohl es ihn in allen von mir versuchten Darstellungen mit "0", "00:00:00"
    "0,0000000000000000E+00" ausgibt.
    Mein daraus folgender Vorschlag: Korrigieren Sie diesen FEHLER!
    Noch besser wäre natürlich eine generelle Überarbeitung der Zeitformate,
    sodass solche Hilfskonstruktionen überflüssig wären.
    ALSO:
    1) Darstellung von negativen Zeitwerten als "-hh:mm:ss" statt als Fehler
    2) Verwenden von Zeiten im der Darstellung "-hh:mm:ss" in Berechnungen.

Was…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Apply the right format to chart labels on French Excel with thousand formatter

On cells with a format such as
    ActiveCell.NumberFormat -> #,##0.00,k
    ActiveCell.NumberFormatLocal -> # ##0,00 k

... the corresponding label value in a chart is mis-diplayed on Excel French version.
    It is displayed as "123 456,00 k" instead of "123,46k"

Same problem with million format (2 commas or 2 spaces in localized version)

Could this be corrected; it is very frustrating. Thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Excel alerts in a confusing way when opening password protected files from SharePoint

When opening a password protected file in Excel Desktop for Windows, it says The file is locked for editing by another user and the prompt button is to save as with no indication that the initial text is clickable to move you to the file tab and choose Check Out from there. And if one does successfully navigate this hurdle and check out the file, the alert DOES NOT GO AWAY. It appears to my users (and to me and I do this for a living) as if the file is still read only as it says in the Title…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make sure £ format doesnt return a #value error

Execl has today updated and now I get a #VALUE error in any formula where by one of the supporting data sets uses the £ symbol (via fomating).

The fix... do all the work without any formatting at all, copy paste special, text the complete workbook to remove all the formula and then go though the workbook formatting everything... Not great but the quickest fix I've found.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I find that the 2013 edition is more robust than previous versions, but I it still crashes. I need it more robust.

I crash Excel while editing content (change this to that) and also when copying formulae.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Correct status bar calculation

Status bar calculates according to formatted numbers in cell. So, if there is a number format :
    # ##0.00;[Red]# ##0
    and you enter -2
    the sum in status bar will be : 2

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Problem Activating Worksheets from Modal Form

In Excel 2016 if a modal user form attempts to activate a protected sheet then it will not activate properly.
    This bug was also noted in Excel 2013 and appears to have been fixed in Excel 2016 for unprotected sheets but protected sheets still do not activate properly.
    The symptoms of an improperly activated sheet are that entering values will actually cause the value to be entered on the previously activated sheet. If that cell is protected (on the previous sheet) but not protected on the active sheet it will display that the cell is protected. Scrolling with the mouse…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix Formula Bar not activating sheet when Find window is open

Fix Formula Bar not activating sheet when Find window is open
    This bug is in 2013&2016: if you open 2 workbooks (side by side) and use the Find window to find items in workbook A and then click the formula bar of workbook B to enter the info you want to xfer into workbook B, the info will actually overwrite the 'found' cell in workbook A. Try it, it is actually kind of funny to see.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel doesn’t register .xltx as a file type it is able to open

Excel 2016 no longer registers .xltx as a file type it is able to open. This is clearly an error.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Fix the "Auto-Save Has Been Suspended for this Session" bug

Seemingly randomly, Excel will decide to pop up this error message. Once it happens, I know I'm screwed because any attempt to save the workbook will fail. The only way to prevent from losing changes is to copy them to a new workbook, save that workbook and then restart excel and copy changes back into the origin workbook.

This happens with huge spreadsheets and small ones, and I've even seen it pop up when I was not interacting with Excel at all. I.e. I was in a different application at the time, so I don't have a solid repro. That…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. To correct Dutch language version

Dears,
    The Dutch language version of excel 2016 (and I expect other versions) has an annoying mistake. You can add a polynomial trend-line to a XY-graph. You can specify the order of the polynomial, the default being 2 for square (i.e. as in ax^2+bx+c). In the Dutch language version this has been translated with 'volgorde'; 'volgorde' translates back into English as 'sequence', which is obviously synonymous to 'order'.
    The source of this translation mistake is therefore clear as the wrong synonym was taken. It is either a machine translation mistake, or a human mistake where the human was probably not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Office 14 Can't do a case-sensitive sort on Cyrillic.

I'm running Office 14 on Windows 7. I tried sorting a Russian word list using a case-sensitive sort.
    Data > Sort > Options > Case Sensitive
    It ignored me and sorted case-insensitive

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base