Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel 2016 - Screentip Placement

Would it be possible to update the screentip placement back to the right-side of the pointer in future updates of Excel?

I noticed that in Excel 2016, when highlighting columns (for vlookups, for instance) the screentip displays on the far left side of the program (if you start highlighting in column A). Whereas, in previous versions of Excel, the screentip always displayed to the right of the pointer.

The new popup location on the left causes the screentip to display on a completely different screen than the current Excel instance if you have an extended display located to the left…

17 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • put back - open multiple spreadsheets in the same Excel 2016 instance

open multiple spreadsheets in the same Excel

11 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Excel 2016 bug - cannot switch QueryTable to take parameters from sheet after refreshing it with a constant value

There appears to be a bug in Excel 2016.

If you have a QueryTable on a sheet, that query has a parameter, and at some point you refresh that query with a non-sheet value for the parameter, then you cannot switch the parameter to take its value from the sheet - Excel will crash. In order to make it work, you need to switch the QueryTable to take parameters from sheet, then save, then quit Excel completely, then reopen the file, and only then your query will work.

I believe it started after the latest Office update, and it is…

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • (Home > Format > Default Width) not working

After selecting a column, going to:
          Home > Format > Default Width
          Gives a dialog box that contains the default width, but after pressing the OK button, nothing changes!

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make ALL windows and dialogue boxes resizeable

Please allow the user to change every dialogue / command box size. Example; Go To box default size is completely useless when trying to trace precedents - one has to click in the reference box, one by one, and scrolling with the right arrow to get any idea of what cell is being referenced. IT IS USELESS, and has been this way forever. Can't believe I have to plead for this in 2018!

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• corrupted data validation after sorting

When using multiple types of validations in a column, when the rows are sorted the data validations don't move with that row so there's either no validation or the wrong type of validation thereby corrupting the values/program. Why MS would allow such a thing is incredulous.

also, character limit for list source is too short for any significant formula.

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Error on calculating linear trendline

Try the following:
                first column = x-data: 0, 1, 2
                second column = y-data: 2, 6, 4
                Calculate linear trendline: OK
                Now change the x-data to 100.000.000, 100.000.001, 100.000.02
                (an offset of 100.000.000 = 100 millions)
                Calculate linear trendline: nothing happens, no trendline, no result, no error message!

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Embed a Video from Youtube in Microsoft Excel

Hi everyone

I have a problem when I've tried to embed a video from youtube in excel. I used "shocked flash object" to do that but I can't see nothing. I have a message that It says "flash-embedded videos are no longer supported"

Please, I need your help, thanks.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix number formatting for padding out with leading zeros

When setting custom number format to 3 zeros the system changes local to Chinese (Taiwan). If change the locale back to English (Australia) then lose the custom number format.
                    To re-create, set a custom number format to 3 zeros and close the Number Format dialog. With the formatted cells still selected, open the Number Format dialog again and locale is incorrectly set.
                    If custom format set to 4 zeros then the local changes to Portuguese (Angola)
                    This not an isolated problem. If Googled then there are quite a lot of hits like the following link that describes it fairly well…

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• DDE connection from word mail merge causing excel to silently discard changes to open spreadsheet

If you have an Excel spread sheet open and have unsaved changes to the spreadsheet while opening a Word mail merge document with a DDE connection to that same Excel spreadsheet, Excel wil restart while silently discarding your changes. As long as the restart is necessary, excel should give the option to save changes before restarting.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• When new versions are being created, PLEASE START with the current version

I am now using Windows 10, Office 365 Home. I came previously from XP and do not know the version of Office but it was whatever came with XP.
                        I have found so many of the previous capabilities gone, that were VERY useful. IF you start with a fresh page, you automatically lose it all. But if you begin with the current version and then make changes that enhance the performance, you will not take out capabilities that are important to many. I personally am very frustrated with this version of Excel and Word.
                        IF you are beginning work on…

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• To fix the Excel Save problem that has been going on for YEARS

I want the auto calculations and the save prompt to work properly. Currently, when I use the formula =today() and open the sheet, I am prompted EVERYTIME to save even when I have done NOTHING. Why not have an option check-box to ignore formulas that automatically update like the date, time, year etc. Currently, it is not practical that I have to do an extra step when I open the spreadsheet for a few seconds many times throughout the day, make no changes and still have to deal with the save prompt. These are two very basic tasks and they…

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Freeze adding new features and fix what is broken now first.

Freeze adding new features and fix what is broken now first.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• 3D Map bugs of displaying China and Vietnam

1. The map labels China as Vietnam when there is data of both China and Vietnam and the whatever value attached is the one for Vietnam as well.
                              2. Hainan province, the second largest island of China, without any political argument of belonging(unlike Taiwan), is NOT marked as a part of China.

The attached JPG will show both of the problems.

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• MacOS High Sierra Ver 10.13.4 keeps crashing my excel

Detials:
                                MacOS High Sierra Ver 10.13.4
                                MacBook Pro 13inch Early 2011
                                Memory 4GB
                                MS Excel 2008 for Mac

Everytime I enter data, perform a simple calculation or copy and paste, excel crashes all the time. See attached for report.

thanks

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• make is so the program doesn't crash !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This program crashes way to **** much and half the time won't save the data !!!! Really makes for a bad day !

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel 2016 x64 memory limitations

Why does Excel 2016 x64 with 64GB RAM run out of memory? Is there a memory limit with data tables. ~ 12K rows by ~ 1.3K columns. All cells have formulas. Should I convert formulas to value? Should I change from data table to data range? Should I split the table? Is there a memory leak? Is there a function limitation (using a few find commands). Can Excel provide less cryptic warning message, such as reduce size of data table or convert to data range., or whatever.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel formula bar not functioning correctly while "Allow editing directly in cells" is disabled

I recently upgraded from Excel 2010 to Excel 2016 (version 16.0.4639.1000) and have noticed that I am unable to correctly enter a formula while "Allow editing directly in cells" option is disabled. I always work with "Allow editing directly in cells" disabled and I have entered the below formula 100s of times this way in Excel 2010 without any issues.

I have two workbooks, Book1 and Book2. I want to enter a value in cell F2 of Book1 and return the numberic value from the table in Book2 that corresponds to that value.

I start by entering the forumla "=SUMPRODUCT((=F2)*())"…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel 2016 bug - QueryTables not wrapped in a ListObject destroy sheet formulas when the query returns no rows

There appears to be a bug in Excel 2016 that permanently corrupts formulas on sheets in certain situations. If the user does not notice it and saves the file, the formulas are lost for good.

The issue is that if there is a QueryTable NOT wrapped in a ListObject, and that QueryTable happens to return no rows on a refresh (e.g. because no data matches the parameters provided by the user), then two things happen:
                                        - Any formulas in the columns immediately to the right of the QueryTable will be cleared, and the column headers of these formula columns will…

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• After Excel crash, on restart highlight worksheet(s) or cell(s) or macro(s) that caused the crash.ed

An Excel workbook of many linked worksheets worked for 10 years in 32bit (many versions) but has become erratic in 64bit Excel 365. After the crash, Excel report the error is not recoverable AND does not specify the worksheet, cell, or macro containing the error. Upon reopening a previously crashed worksheet, the error location(s) should be highlighted - I can make any fixes myself if I know where to look!

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base