Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Be able to select rows and columns and simply click DO NO SORT

It is a massive ball ache sorting when it should not be this aggravating. Maybe I'm being stupid and there is a simple solution already, but I can't find it online and I can't figure it out myself.
    My annoyance is that I generally need to sort when I have multiple rows with text for headers, and some boxes need merging.

I'll explain because some people say "do not merge", but this isn't always helpful.
    Current excel spreadsheet I'm working on.
    I included a picture of my spreadsheet so you can see. I want those top 3 rows to never…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

You can achieve what you’re asking for by inserting a blank row between rows 3 and 4 (where you don’t want any sorting to happen above the blank row).

You can then make the row height very small (1px or so) so it doesn’t take up room on your sheet.

Then, when you sort the content in your table, it won’t sort the headers.

Hope that helps,
      Dan [MS]

• Allow saving filters

As a biz user, we filter sheets all the time ... and very often run through switching filters repeatedly. I mean that given a multiple columns, we might filter a few columns to see what the data says then someone else using the sheet may filter differently, and then we want to return to the original set of filters.

The feature request is to save a snapshot of the filter choices with a name, so that users can prepare several combinations of filters and switch between them easily.

This is particularly useful when the underlying data changes.

Essentially, as a…

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Rivan,

If you are using AutoFilters for your filters, check out “Custom Views” which are accessible on the View ribbon, and allow you to save your filter settings.

Cheers,
        Dan [MS]

• Filter Boxed Colored when Active

When you have a filter box active, can the box be coloured so it is easier to see which columns have filters on them that are active and which are not?

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Ben,

I think the idea you’re asking for is already supported (slightly differently than your suggestion) in current versions of Excel 2016 (or O365).

When you filter an AutoFilter, Table, or PivotTable in current versions, the filter box (we call it the ‘Filter Drop down’) will show both the down arrow, as well as a filter icon in it. You can then look to see what columns have that filter icon in them to know what’s being filtered.

Let me know if you were thinking of something else, or if you’re not seeing that behavior.

Cheers,
          Dan [MS]

PS – in previous versions of Excel, when a filter was applied, the down arrow in the Filter Drop Down would change from black to blue (which we thought was a bit too subtle, so we added the additional icon.

• Ability to both freeze colums AND rows at the same time

Ability to both freeze colums AND rows at the same time would be fantastic. Also, not just the top row or first colum, I want to be able to choose from where the freeze panes starts.

When scrolling down, the frozen colums can roll up. But when sliding sideways, the colum remains put and the frozen rows slide along. Can't be that hard, to do?

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Shanna,

This is already supported. To freeze both rows and columns in Excel 2016, do the following:

1. Put your cell selection in the cell below the row you want “frozen” and to the right of the last column you want “frozen” (said another way – put it in the first cell that you want to be able to scroll either direction – C5 for instance)
            2. On the View Ribbon, choose Freeze Panes > Freeze Panes.

That should do it.

Cheers,
            Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base