Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have a Color Wheel to match colors within excel spreadsheet (Like Adobe Colors)

While building tables or creating charts ; i always have to go Adobe Color to match colors in the charts to make them more appealing. An addon or right inside color picker if we were to have suggested color options ; it would help many to create more appealing stuff in excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Adjust trendline data used with slider on graph!

It would be nice if you could select the trendline on a graph which would then pull up bounds along the x-axis that you could drag to modify which points are going into the calculation/distance of the trendline.

So, in the attached file, if I wanted to make a trendline that excluded the data at the beginning that was clearly outside of the normal standard deviation, I could just drag the left slider (drawn) to the right. (Similar to how you can drag what data is used in a graph by adjusting the highlighted cells)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add count/sum/average of rows in front of each value in the filter box and functionality to apply virtual filters

1. Usually, it happens that we apply the simple filters to check the number of records for a particular value. It is very time consuming or inefficient if we apply these filter on a very large data sets (100K or more rows). If we can add count of rows against each value in the filter box then we can avoid many such filters just to check the count for a particular value. It will save significant time for the users. Further, we can provide users the options to choose count/sum/average, etc. in the filter box itself without actually applying the filter.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. I want to create a yearwheel.

January, February, March... different colors. Place to write differant for each year under each months.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. slicers where items with data can be hide completely

Slicers:
    It would be handy and neat to be able to remove completely from the slicer those items that are never to be filtered. i.e three type of items "Oblig" "Option" & "VAR"- . So, even if in the origina"VAR" items I would like that "VAR" never to appear in the slicer of a particular Pivot Table.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ability to paste to filtered (visible) cells

PROBLEM: Excel's PASTE (ctrl-V) operation does not distinguish between filtered and unfiltered cells, even though its COPY (ctrl-C) operation copies filtered (visible) cells.

SOLUTIONS:
    * Enhance PASTE SPECIAL (ctrl-alt-V) to support the ability to paste into only filtered (visible) cells.
    * Add a user option to support this default PASTE action.

BENEFITS:
    * Eliminates the danger of pasting into a filtered area without realizing the problem. This is a very common problem with users new to Excel. Even experienced users must be constantly aware of this problem.
    * Addresses a problem for which there is no good workaround. All VBA…

111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. It would be great if one could sort in Excel as one does in Outlook

It would be great if one could sort in Excel as one does in Outlook, simply by clicking on the column heading. It could default to sorting the whole workbook or the selected area by that column, or offer options.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Filter in Column

how we use filter in Column

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. The "select all" checkbox should never scroll out of sight in a filter dropdown

When I want to select one entry in a drop down filter, it happens to me frequently that I scroll down to find the entry and then discover that should have deselected "select all" first. Very annoying. That box should be independent of the rest and never scroll out of sight.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Slicer/Timeline Combination for Continuous Non-Date Data

Slicers are great for discrete data such as sales regions, but don't support continuous data such as a range of sales dollar amounts. Timelines support continuous data, but only dates. It would be very useful to have a feature that combines these, working similarly to a Timeline but allowing numbers, dollar amounts, etc. The workaround I've seen is bucketing the data (sales of $100-$500, $500-$1,000, etc.) but that limits user flexibility.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Create a "Table" sheet type

Can we have a "Table" sheet type, similar to a chart sheet? It can only contain a single table with no cells outside the table, but could grow/shrink as required, and should have improved navigation / deletion / insertion capabilities

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. WHY THERE IS NOT ABSOLUTE MAX AND MIN IN FILTER REFERENCE TO THE UNIQUE DATA

WHEN YOU USE FILTER THE CURRENT FILTER TOOLS IS LESS THAN,GREATER THAN AND BETWEEN THERE SHOULD BE MAX AND MIN TO FILTER THE ABSOLUTE MAX DATA REFERENCE TO UNIQUE NAMES FOR EXAMPLE

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add F4 toggle to "lock" structured refrences

Structured references are awesome. But making them relative/absolute is not! Let us use the F4 shortcut on structured references too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Advanced Filter option to Exclude a list of items

Advanced Filter Option to Exclude a list of items
    You have a list of 10,000 members. You want to filter the list so that if any of the 900 in this criteria list are present, it will EXCLUDE them from the filtered list.
    Comes up all the time, we handle it with conditional formatting and color sort or with VLOOKUPs and subsequent sort.
    Seems like it should just be there when you go to filter.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. insert traffic light colour function for "if " scenarios in the table section

Insert traffic light colour function as an "IF" scenario in the table section. so for example if a number drops below certain precentage its red category, another precentage its amber, then green.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Sorting default settings

When the Sort ....(choicest) selected "Sort Warning" box pop-up with a preselected choice. Remove that "preselected" default setting and enable it to remember users choice when Excel is open and used next time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please stop the autofilter from dynamically expanding the range (adding rows) or at the very least make it optional.

I noticed today that the behavior of the autofilter has changed and I can no longer define the range relevant to the filter - actually I can but then Excel decides to change it adding lines I have below the table in the filter range. This makes the filters behavior much harder to control.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Show the full column name in a tooltip when the column headers have been scrolled past

If a table cell is selected and you have scrolled down so that the column headers are not visible, the A B C column headings will be replaced with the column names. This is a great feature, but column names often span multiple lines, so the column names get cut off.

If the user hovers over one of these column names, the full column name should appear in a tooltip. This would be especially useful for larger tables with columns that begin with the same words (e.g. Cost With Tax, Cost Without Tax).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Filter by multiple colours (at the same time) - select option to select specific colours

I often use different colours in my spreadsheets. However it is a pain that you can only filter by one colour at a time ...can there be a check box by the colours when filtering by colour ...so you can select specific one or more colours, or multiple colours at the same time ...this would be awesome and a massive improvement to Filtering …..can this be so difficult for the Microsoft excel team to implement ? must be an easy fix going forward …...please vote for this if this will help you out !!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base