Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. enable merge cells in table

enable merge cells in table similar to word table

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Grouping outline +/- symbol - add mouseover title

I'd like to be able to add a title to the individual outline symbols that shows when you hover your mouse pointer over each symbol.
    I imagine that it would be a "simple" right click and type option - much like the comments function for individual cells.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Table Names: Scope to Worksheet not Workbook

Allow table names to be scoped to the worksheet rather than have them scoped to the Workbook.

Your current 'workbook' scope implementation means that for similar worksheets I have to come up different table names to prevent them from clashing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Automatically apply Wrap Text to the headers when a table is created and AutoFit accordingly

Because the names of columns are often wider than their values, it is common to apply the Wrap Text format to the column headers. After this, the user will shrink the column widths to take advantage of the Wrap Text format. When you have multiple tables in a spreadsheet, this can take a few minutes. To save us this time and effort, please automatically apply the Wrap Text format to the column headers when a table is created.

The automatic AutoFitting of the column widths that occurs after a table is created should also be changed to better suit the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Filter drop down list

Once "Filter" the column. When click on the column's Filter drop down list. If it can also shows each data's count QTY. That would be grate.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Change the focus of the filter dropdown to select the "Type-In" for the type of cell you enter

Instead of requiring a user to constantly move the mouse and click in the selection box in the dropdown filter, set the focus in that box. Then we could simply key our entry and hit enter.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Colorize active filter buttons in a contrasting (Pickable?) so they stand out

Color active filter buttons in a contrasting color to make them instantly jump out at you. Much better than the "Dot" and Funnel approach which can be frustrating to spot when you are pressed for time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Timeline

Need a template for doing a Civil War timeline. I have events that occurred between 1860 and 1865. There are over 20,000 events I currently have in a MS Access database. MS Project can not handle dates that far back. Having a timeline would help visualize the chain of events. The events last from one day to several months.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Two Way Header Lookup Formula for Data Tables.

Given a table result (I.e. lowest hotel price) there should be a simple look up formula that returns the column header (Name of Hotel), and another that returns the row header (Date). Index-Match can be used to find the column only if you can isolate the row and vice versa. This can be done but it is currently a complex combination of formulas.

=INDEX($B$16:$AE$16,,SUMPRODUCT(($B$17:$AE$25=$B$28)*(COLUMN($B$16:$AE$16)-COLUMN($A$16))))

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable to cut rows in a filtered list when shared on onedrive

This does work when the file is not a shared file, but once it is shared, you cannot normally cut rows from a filtered list in the dekstop app.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Advance Filter for dates of a month for all years

There is no option in advance filter unlike regular filter to insert criteria like "all dates of a month for all years". If there is any, please guide me.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow filtering to be turned off for particular columns in a table

Applying a filter to a table, it applies the drop down filter to all columns. Sometimes it makes so sense to be able to filter on a particular column, so allow an option to exclude a column from being filtered on.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Trailing Date Filters

Add trailing ("Past") date filters. These are different from the "Last" filters.

On 6/15/2019, the "Last Year" is 1/1/2018 - 12/31/2018. The "Past Year" is 6/15/2018 - 6/15/2019. "Last Month" is 5/1/2019 - 5/31/2019. "Past Month" is 5/15/2019 - 6/15/2019.

This can apply all the common ranges: Past X days / weeks / months / years.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. When copying formulas between tables have option to keep formula intact (and not refer to old table)

Currently when you copy columns with formulas from one table to another the formulas are adjusted to still refer to the old table columns, even if the new table has all the same column names.

I would like the option (possibly in Paste Special) to just copy the formulas as is so that they refer to the new table (and not have to change them afterwards with a search and replace as we do now).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make it *easy* to show *all* rows after someone else's annoying filter, ie clear filters easily

Make it easy to show all rows after someone else's annoying filter, ie clear filters easily

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. CIDR Sorting

To have the ability to sort a column by CIDR (Classless Inter-Domain Routing), so it is easier to sort a column containing IP addresses or IP addresse masks.

Database like PostgreSQL provide such feature and it is missing in Excel without having to code

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Is it possible to use " Filter horizontally " it will help to collapse or expand data in horizontal & vertical direction

Is it possible to use " Filter horizontally " it will help to collapse or expand data in horizontal & vertical direction

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. When filtering. i.s.o clicking on each item to be filtered, rather click and slide over the items to select or deselect

When filtering a list containing a large number of selection items, in stead of clicking on the items one by one (to select or deselect), rather hold click and slide over the items to select or deselect. Will save me hours of time in a year. I may just buy you a Pepsi if you get it right :-)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When spilling information carry the formats of the numbers in the spill range

When spilling information from one sheet to another, the formats of the cells do not carry over.

I'm on a live updating spending tracker with stat spill tables that auto fill. I also have a huge Grand Totals sheet where I can over look all ov my months. When spilling the information from one sheet to another, only the values show on the second sheet. Meaning currency, percentage, etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base