Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tables with rows as the headers

Tables are really great for managing data. Sometime It would be useful if the table could have the rows as the header rather than the columns. e.g. a regular excel table but transposed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix filter annoyances

1) Bug: when panes are frozen, in the moment when filter is applied the sheet is being violently scrolled horizontally in a random direction, hiding the active column.
    Please do not scroll on filter application.

2) Missing functionality: The filter popup list can be re-sized to show more or wider items. Unfortunately the size of the popup is not remembered on the next pop.

Many thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Windows 10 + Excel: Fix unfilter column bug...

When using Windows 10 and a large spreadsheet, many users of Excel 2013 and 2016 encounter problems with excel calculating extremely slowly when you remove the filter from a column. Unfiltering the same spreadsheets works fine in Windows 8.1.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dependable Drop downs (with Removed Blanks)

It can be done by creating named ranges and using different Offset and indirect formulas but It's still a long process.

If you can work around and come up with a much simpler method for creating dependable ranges it would be great fun.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow pasting of criteria in auto filter

Currently, the ability to paste into auto filter with keystrokes is possible, but it would be a great time saver to be able to paste with a right click of the mouse.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Custom sort with UDF as Comparer

When using the standard Sort dialog, it would be extremely useful for the 'Sort on' column to accept custom UDFs to implement the comparison of the values in the selected column.

So the 'Sort on' values would be:
    * Values
    * Cell Color
    * Font Color
    * Cell Icon
    * UDF...

Clicking 'UDF...' will bring up a dialog displaying all UDFs implementing the IComparer interface. The user can select which one they want to use.

This will enable many scenarios such as sorting by IP addresses, MAC address etc. where standard alpha-numeric sorts don't work - they give incorrect sort…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. combine autofilter with extended filter

it could be possible that the extended filter gives the same multiple choices which the autofilter gives ...
    i would love to have the simplicity of the extended filter row (just one) to be filled in, AND have the option to use macro's in which an autofilter could be used without losing the extended filter ...
    i know much more about excel then the people around me,
    but i'm very much aware that there is soooo much more to learn :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. More clearly label the inputs for the Data Table feature (in the What-if Analysis menu)

I always seem to get the "row input cell" and "column input cell" backwards the first time. Maybe change the wording to more clearly indicate which input applies to the numbers along the top of the table and which applies to those down the side. Alternatively, if the relevant part of the table was highlighted when you click in the corresponding input cell box it would be a little more user friendly. This is nitpicky, I know, but it could just make this (awesome) feature a little easier to use. Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Tables: ability to drag referenced cells

Say you have a formula in A1=sum(D2:D4) and you hit F2 the range D2:D4 is highlighted and you can drag/extend/shrink the selected range. When you have a table the formula will shrink/collapse according to the table length but would be nice to be able to just drag from one column to the next or expand over multiple columns without the need to edit the formula

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow me to copy mutiple worksheets that contain a table

Excel will currently not let you copy more than one worksheet at a time if any of them contain a table. This needs to be allowed.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow copying of tables from Word into Excel tables (you can't do that to a merged cell)

Because of Excel's abysmal text processing functions, I frequently copy large tables from Excel sheets into Word flies. After translating the text, I copy them back to Excel. I'd like to copy entire tables into the original Excel cells, but I get two really stupid messages.
    "The data you're pasting isn't the same size as your selection. Do you want to paste anyway?"
    After clicking OK:
    "We can't do that to a merged a cell."

This happens despite the fact that the content was copied out of those exact same cells.

Make it so that I can copy a table…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please fix Filters bug

When selecting a filter, if the first column in the set of filters does not stretch down to match the "length" of all columns in the filters then filtering is incomplete. Please fix that, by taking the longest consecutive column of all filtered columns, as the list to filter.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Tables - Option to insert row rather than shift cells

When a table automatically adds a new row at the bottom (e.g. when you are in the final cell and press tab), then it shifts the cells that are directly below the table down.

There should also be an option to insert row, so that any rows below the table that contain information exceeding the width of the table do not get distorted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Divider for multiple spreadsheets in a workbook

I run an annual competition in a single workbook with multiple weekly sheets. There are a few sheets for the setup of teams at the start of the year and 2 sheets for each week. What this means is that I can have muliple tabs at the bottom and may need to go from the later sheets to the earlier sheets which can be a real pain using the arrows on the LHS at the bottom of the screen.

If we had a moveable divider in the worksheet selection window I could choose the sheets that are resident in say…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. In the search part of the filter function, I can only search individually. For example, if I want to find all 3 numbers 1, 2, 3, I have to f

In the search part of the filter function, I can only search individually. For example, if I want to find all 3 numbers 1, 2, 3, I have to find each number and collect it. Hopefully, Microsoft can add functionality to help find the desired results in turn. Just like when you want to print pages intermittently, you just need to type the page numbers separated by commas.
    I am using office 365. Thank you.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 13 14 15 17 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base