Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Autofilter of Merged Cells

You need to fix the filtering of merged cells to retain the entire merged cells rather than only showing the first. It simply makes no sense as is.

If I merge say A1 through A4, and apply a filter that should return that range, it displays only A1, hiding A2 though A4?! No it is merged, thus I intentionally made it one cell, thus it should display that whole cell, not a subdivision thereof.

I've created my own function with a button on a ribbon, but this functionality should be part of Excel's core functionality.

Merged cells on a whole…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I wish the (Select All) checkbox would be above the scrolling list of values found. While browsing the list of values found, I find that I f

I wish the (Select All) checkbox would be above the scrolling list of values found in a filter. While browsing the list of values found, I find that I frequently have to scroll back to the top to change the setting of Select All, then back to the value of interest to change its setting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sorting options on Excel 365 for Business

It is imperative that we be able to sort a group of data by columns and the rest of the data move together! All that I can do at this point is sort A-Z.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Marking values presented more that once in filter window

While working with purchase specifications, the same positions in differens rows often appear with different quantities in each row which should be summed up for sending a request. It would be very convenient to have values corresponding with more then one rows marked by font, color, etc. in filter window…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enhance the default User Entry Form to inherit table field validation rules.

Enhance the default User Entry Form to inherit table field validation rules. Currently I think this happens but only after the form update table procedure. Would be nice to have it at the field level.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Cut&Paste destroys ListObjects to the right

The macro shows waht happens

Sub Demo()
    Dim lcCO As Excel.ChartObject
    Dim lcLO As Excel.ListObject
    Dim lcPT As Excel.PivotTable
    Dim lcR As Excel.Range
    Dim lcWS As Excel.Worksheet

Workbooks.Add
    Set lcWS = ActiveSheet
    With lcWS
    .[a1] = "LO4"
    .[a2] = "Current Name": .[b2] = "New Name": .[c2] = "To Comment"
    End With
    With lcWS
    .Columns("A:C").Insert Shift:=xlToRight
    .[a1] = "LO3"
    .[a2] = "Column Name": .[b2] = "With Data"
    .[a3] = "bla 3": .[b3] = False
    .[a4] = "bla 4": .[b4] = False
    .[a5] = "bla 5": .[b5] = True
    .[a6] = "bla 6": .[b6] = False
    .[a7] = "bla 7": .[b7] =…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Filter columns by more than one color

I would like to filter columns by color, one color is ok and works fine, but choose two or more colours in the same filter

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show count of items represented by each checkbox in the Filter dropdown menu

When we filter we can see all the items that are present in the selected column. What would be helpful is to have next to each item the count of times it's present in that column. E.g. it column "Animal name" contains 1x"dog", 1x"cat", 5x"horse"..., if I filter, I'll be able to see the names of these animals only, what I'd like to have also is the number of times (count) they're present in the column.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Find all

There is a "Find All" option in the MS version of Excel that I use frequently. After clicking "Find All", a pop-up comes up with a bunch of information about the rows that contain a cell with the queried value, including how many instances of the value appear in the sheet. Without it in the Mac version, I have to review cell by cell with the information out of context instead of being able to quickly go through the rows. And I have to manually count the cells to see how many instances of the value occur in my sheet.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Paste a list in the filter box

Hello,

It would be really interesting to be able to Paste multiple items in the filtering when the copy was done from another table.

For example, if one receives an email with a small table containing a 4 items table, to filter this information for more details one should copy-paste each element and tick on the "Add current selection to filter". It would be of great help to copy the table, paste it into the filter and get automatically the selection.

Thanks for your consideration.
    Best Wishes,
    Arthur

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I would suggest that to make the sort menu more user-friendly, that it shouldn't be labeled as a filter button

Referring to the menu which appears upon pressing Sort & Filter button. Because it’s not really meant solely for filtering, but I only lately discovered that you use it to define which columns you need to capture for sorting or filtering. Had I discovered and understood its features earlier, a lot of time and effort could have been saved along with a lot of valuable information gathered from simply choosing which columns to sort.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. NA() result option in conditional formatting to improve charting of large tables

Conditional formatting should include NA() result option. Such that if charting from a large table, conditions in data will be ignored. This eliminates the need for long formulas doing the same thing, also allowing for performance improvements

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Pin the (Select All) check box in a filter list

The (Select All) check box appears first in a filter list but disappears when you scroll down the list. I would prefer to see this box pinned at the top of the list so it can be checked and unchecked easily however far down the list you scroll. I often scroll down a long list then realise I wanted to deselect all and just choose one option so I have to scroll all the way back up to unchecked the box.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Group raw data by Table Header

Group data by table headers to automatically band / group them up (a row header and a row footer separates the data in a table based on the grouping). A pivot table cannot produce this type of layout (i.e. header at the top and multiple aligned columns below it).

It would be great for those looking to make reports using Excel to be able to group low level data in a table. Business Objects, SQL Server Reporting Services, Access and lots of other MI reporitng apps can do this - by why cannot the worlds number 1 reporting software (Excel)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Sort results of formulas

When you have a list of items with a formula applied to them (for example, VLOOKUP or SUMIF to a set of data), it would be extremely useful to be able to sort based on the output of that formula.

The only solution is to copy and paste values the outputs, then sort - but this is a very manual process if the results of the formulas change frequently.

Even if you can't make the sort function work in this way, you should fix the error it causes - after sorting, the formulas become linked to the wrong input cells,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Default Data>Subtotal to Sort by Selected subtotal criteria

Current most users stuff up applying subtotals because they do not sort the table beforehand. A check box called "Sort by this Field" would solve that problem

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel (Structured) Tables - Make them automatically contract in size!

It is great that structured tables automatically expand when new data is added, but if the table is part of an Excel application that is regularly refreshed with a new set of data pasted over the existing data (replacing it rather than adding to it), and the new data set happens to be smaller than the previous set, the table does NOT automatically resize down (as would occur if you used an Offset/Count combo based formula to dynamically size a Defined Name)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Filtering - Why does it snap back to A1?

When turning on filtering in a worksheet, you are automatically snapped back to A1. Typically, I turn on filtering near the column I want to filter. It's more time consuming to be at the column I want to filter and then be snapped back to the beginning, only to be left looking for that column again. Can we have the ability to turn on filtering without the snap back to A1? Thanks!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow sorting order to be based on a list in the current worksheet

Sorting based on the order of entries in a Custom List works OK, but if you send the file to others, they need to set up the Custom List as well.
    Make the entire process more flexible and faster by allowing the order of sorting to be based on worksheet cells just to the right (or anywhere else) of the list you're about to sort rather than requiring a reference to a Custom List?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Copy filter criteria to a range

If a table has one or some more filter criterias you got a list of results. But when you copy this list or have a look at the result, you cannot see, which criterias had been set.

It would be great, if you could copy the list of criterias to a range or have a look to all criterias in an overview like the Name Manager.

Thanks for this opportunity to give feedback to you.
    Cheers
    Andreas (London)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base