Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Today's Date

1. While Grouping Dates in Filters Add one more Option "Today" so that today's data can be filtered out.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Structured reference for different row in a table column

I appreciate that we can use "[" + "@" + horizontal table header name + "]" (e.g. [@MyHeadingName]) to refer to a value in the same table row. To improve table formula readability, I'd appreciate if we could do the same thing with vertical references. I assume you'd introduce a different symbol for this. I'm looking for something like "[" + "#" + vertical table header name + "]"

Thanks for considering.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. custom sort sort entire row instead of data

Allow override of guessed data range. In custom sort, when "sort top to bottom" selected, put checkbox to include entire row. similar with "sort left to right", put checkbox to include entire column. my problem is having a row highlighted and then sorting. the highlight extends beyond the data range, then sort. this results in broken highlighted rows.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Use Slicer for Table and Pivot Table

I'd love for a slicer to be attached to both a pivot table and the table the pivot table is based upon. Couldn't find a way to do this in report connections.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Drop down list

If you want to make a drop down box in Excel you have to enter the data somewhere in the file and select this data to insert it in the drop down list. It would be easier if you can ad values wihtout having to put them somewhere in Excel.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Better control of default table styles

As far as I can work out, right clicking a table style and clicking 'Set as Default' only does so for the workbook.

i.e. In a new workbook, the default table style is unchanged.

It would be better if there was both a better indication that this is the case and the ability to also control the global default table style.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. I want to filter data that has 10,000+ unique data points. I was on with your tech support and they said excel only recognizes the first.

I have a spreadsheet with over 40,000 rows. One of the columns includes customer full name. I opened a case b/c when I went to filter on this column, it was only showing me the first 10,000 rows :-o Your tech support told me excel has a limit of the first 10,000 unique datapoints. I couldn't even filter out the blanks :-o This is crazy to me. Please fix this so I can have the same sorting capability in a file with 40,000+ rows as I would a spreadsheet with 10 rows.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. When selecting filter, automatically select the search bar

Currently, when I select the filter dropdown, I need to click the search bar within to begin typing a search parameter. Please automatically select the search bar so I can begin typing when I open the filter dropdown. Thank you.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow re-ordering columns of filtered table

Have you ever had this happen to you?

You just finish filtering a large table, so exactly the records of interest are displayed. However, the columns now of most interest are not next to each other, so you try to move the entire column next to each other. Excel throws an error saying it can't reorder columns of a filtered table. HUH?

This is a long-time problem. It's just plain silly that this hasn't been fixed yet. When a table has any sort of filter applied, Excel refuses to allow re-ordering of the columns of data. The only workaround appears…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 2 Ideas for Filtering

1) Please add a functionality to "invert selection". Often you want to filter a couple of lines and after that check the remainder. It would be nice to have a one-click-solution for that.
    2) Please add functionality to "filter from cliboard". If you want to filter by various attributes you should be able to copy them from your list and add the copied lines to the filter.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Total row at the top of a table

If you filter your data with the intention of updating the total row of your table, you won't see the change until you scroll to the bottom of your table.

Others have suggested adding a "bottom freeze pane" to always keep the total row in view. Better idea: have an option to put the total row at the top of the table, just underneath the headers.

One advantage over "bottom freeze pane" is that you can have multiple, different-sized tables side-by-side and have their total rows align. Also, since filtering and the total row go together functionally, they should also…

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Filter columns by more than one color

I would like to filter columns by color, one color is ok and works fine, but choose two or more colours in the same filter

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Unique Filtering

Hi there

I haven't looked at Excel from office 2016 as yet, but I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a 'quick' unique function on Excel 2013

As far as I can tell, still the only way to find unique records is through advanced search and is - at least in my opinion somewhat fiddly!

My idea is, I would have thought that you could perhaps add another option on Quick Filter/Text Filter called 'Unique' just after the 'Custom Filter' option?

Many thanks

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Change Excel Table Name in the Create Table Window

Every time I Insert an Excel Table I then have to go change the Table Name (Alt+J,T,A). It would be great if the Table Name could be changed on the Create Table window when you are selecting the range of the Table.

It would also be nice to have some default settings for the table names. For example, I prefix all my table names with "tbl". This makes it a lot easier to get a list of the tables in the workbook when writing formulas. I would like to store this preference somewhere and then have the table name be…

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Data validation - allow Table references as List Source.

If I'm using Data Validation in List mode, and I use a Table reference (e.g. "=Table1[Column1]") as the source, for some reason it doesn't work!

The workaround is to create a separate named range for that Table reference (e.g. make a named range called "Table1Column1" that Refers to "=Table1[Column1]", but it's a real pain to have to do this every time, and it is something that I use a lot!

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. primary key for rows in a table

I'd love to have an option in a table to add an ID (record counter) field. No formulas or vba just a system generated unique number for each new row in a table. Automatic timestamp would be great too! vba could do this but making it a built-in feature would be helpful for those who want to keep it simple.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Pin the (Select All) check box in a filter list

The (Select All) check box appears first in a filter list but disappears when you scroll down the list. I would prefer to see this box pinned at the top of the list so it can be checked and unchecked easily however far down the list you scroll. I often scroll down a long list then realise I wanted to deselect all and just choose one option so I have to scroll all the way back up to unchecked the box.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Data Filter drop down box should have an option to filter rows that contain formulas or not formulas

Have as a selection in the drop down box to filter for cells with formulas or cells without formulas

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Autofilter of Merged Cells

You need to fix the filtering of merged cells to retain the entire merged cells rather than only showing the first. It simply makes no sense as is.

If I merge say A1 through A4, and apply a filter that should return that range, it displays only A1, hiding A2 though A4?! No it is merged, thus I intentionally made it one cell, thus it should display that whole cell, not a subdivision thereof.

I've created my own function with a button on a ribbon, but this functionality should be part of Excel's core functionality.

Merged cells on a whole…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Table Sorting for both Row Data and Column Data

For excel Tables give an option to filter both columns and rows using drop downs. This would eliminate the need for transposing. Right now, filters are only at the top row and filter column data. I would like to use this feature and then filter the row data. So there would be a drop down arrow across the top row and also filters for each row going from top to bottom in the first column of a Table.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base