Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can you please change the source string for "clear filter" in Excel to "Show All"

When "clear filter" (on the ribbon and on right clicking a table) is translated into other languages it can sometimes be translated as "Delete filter" . Users of localised versions of Office think that something is deleted and seldom use it. Would you please consider using "show all" or "no filter"? Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. To convert Text to columns

To convert Text to columns, an option must be there for random divide the text and not fixed width

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow sort warning to be (temporary) disabled

I understand it's there to make sure users know what's happening, but there should be a way to disable the "Sort Warning" error that is shown when a user attempts to sort a single column.

Currently, when having to sort multiple single columns, a user must confirm their choice every time they do it. This is time consuming and pointless after the first couple of times it's shown. It wouldn't be so bad if it remembered your last choice, so a user could just hit enter to continue, but every time the choice has to be selected and then the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide referential integrity for tables

Provide table relationships which enforce referential integrity including cascade update and cascade delete.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Compare Tables

I need a function that will deal with differences in tables, e.g. Build a new table 3 from extracted rows of table 1 that do not have a corresponding row in table 2. Lite this:
    Compare the values in table 1 column 2 with the values in table 2 column 1. If nomatch copy the entire line of table 1 to a new table 3.
    Or: copy table 1 to table 3, delete the rows of table 3 that have a corresponding row in table 2 (same result)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Drop down list

If you want to make a drop down box in Excel you have to enter the data somewhere in the file and select this data to insert it in the drop down list. It would be easier if you can ad values wihtout having to put them somewhere in Excel.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When selecting filter, automatically select the search bar

Currently, when I select the filter dropdown, I need to click the search bar within to begin typing a search parameter. Please automatically select the search bar so I can begin typing when I open the filter dropdown. Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Issues with structured references in single-row tables

Often, I will set up formulas for a table before the raw data is available. During this time, the table has a single, initially empty non-heading row. If I want the year of the Date column, I type =YEAR( and click on the Date cell in the same row as my formula. I end up with =YEAR([Date]) instead of =YEAR([@Date]).

Excel recognized that I selected what happens to be the entire column, and so gave me the whole-column reference [Date]. Excel should look at how the selection was made rather than what was selected.

Excel should instead behave like this:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Split tables to separate sheets

Imagine a sheet with a column of fruit. I want to be able to select some (or all) fruit and split all the corresponding rows into new sheets. e.g., for oranges, apples, and bananas, I want three new sheets OR the subset of those three on a new sheet. You can imagine for dozens of types of fruit, it becomes very time consuming to do this manual. I would do this by adding a split option to the filter dropdown list for a given column. Either split selected fruit to a single sheet or individual sheets. I currently use JMP…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Select None Filter, move Select All to side

Add a select None Button to the Filter box, then move this button and the select All button slightly to the left so that they always show up. That way when you are in the middle of the list and some are selected you can select all easily or remove that selection easily.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. See All Unchecked Items in a Filter

Have you ever wanted to see just the unchecked items in a filter? Right now there is no way to do this. You should be able to filter just the unchecked items to quickly see which ones you may want to add to the filter.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Autofilter of Merged Cells

You need to fix the filtering of merged cells to retain the entire merged cells rather than only showing the first. It simply makes no sense as is.

If I merge say A1 through A4, and apply a filter that should return that range, it displays only A1, hiding A2 though A4?! No it is merged, thus I intentionally made it one cell, thus it should display that whole cell, not a subdivision thereof.

I've created my own function with a button on a ribbon, but this functionality should be part of Excel's core functionality.

Merged cells on a whole…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Marking values presented more that once in filter window

While working with purchase specifications, the same positions in differens rows often appear with different quantities in each row which should be summed up for sending a request. It would be very convenient to have values corresponding with more then one rows marked by font, color, etc. in filter window…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Show count of items represented by each checkbox in the Filter dropdown menu

When we filter we can see all the items that are present in the selected column. What would be helpful is to have next to each item the count of times it's present in that column. E.g. it column "Animal name" contains 1x"dog", 1x"cat", 5x"horse"..., if I filter, I'll be able to see the names of these animals only, what I'd like to have also is the number of times (count) they're present in the column.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Paste a list in the filter box

Hello,

It would be really interesting to be able to Paste multiple items in the filtering when the copy was done from another table.

For example, if one receives an email with a small table containing a 4 items table, to filter this information for more details one should copy-paste each element and tick on the "Add current selection to filter". It would be of great help to copy the table, paste it into the filter and get automatically the selection.

Thanks for your consideration.
    Best Wishes,
    Arthur

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Group raw data by Table Header

Group data by table headers to automatically band / group them up (a row header and a row footer separates the data in a table based on the grouping). A pivot table cannot produce this type of layout (i.e. header at the top and multiple aligned columns below it).

It would be great for those looking to make reports using Excel to be able to group low level data in a table. Business Objects, SQL Server Reporting Services, Access and lots of other MI reporitng apps can do this - by why cannot the worlds number 1 reporting software (Excel)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Default Data>Subtotal to Sort by Selected subtotal criteria

Current most users stuff up applying subtotals because they do not sort the table beforehand. A check box called "Sort by this Field" would solve that problem

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Filtering - Why does it snap back to A1?

When turning on filtering in a worksheet, you are automatically snapped back to A1. Typically, I turn on filtering near the column I want to filter. It's more time consuming to be at the column I want to filter and then be snapped back to the beginning, only to be left looking for that column again. Can we have the ability to turn on filtering without the snap back to A1? Thanks!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Copy filter criteria to a range

If a table has one or some more filter criterias you got a list of results. But when you copy this list or have a look at the result, you cannot see, which criterias had been set.

It would be great, if you could copy the list of criterias to a range or have a look to all criterias in an overview like the Name Manager.

Thanks for this opportunity to give feedback to you.
    Cheers
    Andreas (London)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix filter annoyances

1) Bug: when panes are frozen, in the moment when filter is applied the sheet is being violently scrolled horizontally in a random direction, hiding the active column.
    Please do not scroll on filter application.

2) Missing functionality: The filter popup list can be re-sized to show more or wider items. Unfortunately the size of the popup is not remembered on the next pop.

Many thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base