Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Resize Table by double-click

Something, you have to resize the area of your table when you manually import or delete data in a Table.

Currently, you have 2 options to resize your Table:
    - With the button Resize Table
    - By drag and drop of the delimiter of the Table (it looks like a triangle) to adjust to the size of the data

My idea is to double-click on this Table delimiter to adjust automatically to the area of the data (rows and columns). This means that the table would automatically extend or contract to include new data or exclude empty rows/columns.

What do…

10 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Table names to show up in alphabetic order in Name Box

The Name Box is really useful for navigating around spreadsheets but Table Names show up at the bottom of the list (if there are Range Names) and also appear in the order they are created rather than in alphabetic order. Not that helpful. Please include Table Names in the list in alphabetic order.

5 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Select All Autofilter also in static options

Often when using the Auto filter you look for the value(s) you want to filter on then you realise you have not un-ticked the select all box at the top before scrolling down. It would be good if there was a select all in the static section of the auto filter.

3 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel new Feature Request - adding new xlNotFilterValues enum to AutoFilter

Recently, an user ask me to add a filter with a criteria that is equivalent to filter all values that are NOT in the list.

In Excel, the only Operator enum that I can use for AutoFilter method is xlFilterValues.

In this case, criteria must contains a list of values in a String array. I have developed some VBA code that extract in a Collection all possible distinct values that a column can contains, that remove not acceptable values and that save all these values in an array that I pass to AutoFilter(xlFilterValues) method. This work well, but it is…

12 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Fill column with series of numbers in a filtered table

When a table is filtered it will not allow you to drag down to create a series of numbers (e.g. 1, 2, 3, etc.), instead it will just repeat the first number. Often I find I want to number only the visible cells so I would find this feature quite useful.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow the user to select multiple sheets in a workbook and merge them into one sheet in the same workbook.

Allow the user to select multiple sheets in a workbook and merge them into one sheet in the same workbook. This is extremely useful where a data collection has been done with feedback from multiple members, and a merge of information is now required. Pivot tabling does not help as it remains with the requirement that all the data is already in one sheet

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Copy paste filtered area

I find it a problem that if I copy a filtered area for example (E2, E8, E9) and I try to paste in the same filtered area one or more column later, it will paste into E2, E3, E4

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Make last sort order the default for the next sort.

I find that, no matter how many times a day I sort lists, at some point they revert to "My data has headers" and thus do not sort the first item in a list. As has been done with the last-used source cell(s) for copying, please set the last-used sort order as a default. It's easier to select for headers once than to de-select multiple times.

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Easy deletion based on applied filters

I sometimes find myself working with very large data sets (500+ rows) and it is desirable to filter on certain fields, and only use the remaining data (smaller file size, faster formula execution with fewer rows, etc.). I'd like to propose that MS add an option that allows a user, once the correct filters are applied, to delete all hidden rows or all visible rows, based on the current filter settings. It would be great if there was also an audit trail of some kind showing what had been filtered out (for audit purposes), maybe on a hidden sheet... but…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Unhide all tabs

You have the option to choose multiple tabs, and hide them in one go. It would be useful if there was an option to unhide all or multiple tabs, instead of doing them all individually.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow the naming of multiple sort criteria

I often need to look at my data a couple of different ways. To do this I'm forced to re-enter the sort criteria for each way. It would be great if I could define the sort criteria and save it with a title. When opening the sort dialog I could select one of the saved sorts rather than defining the sort rules from scratch.

This would also address the issue where the sort criteria spuriously comes up empty when I select certain rows but not others.

6 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Protect formula in Tables allowing insert, delete rows of tables.

Behavoir similar Access Tables
                          Optional: add a field with primary key constrain

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Apply formulas when a filter is active

I'd like to be able to apply formulas to filtered values. Now I can do that but formulas are applied to every value althought there is a filter.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Extend remove duplicates

I want to highlight duplicates before removing them.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel Table - Replace crosshair with plus button

Currently excel allows user to resize a table plus providing a crosshair icon at the bottom-right corner of an excel table. This icon is not visible to users that are not aware of excel tables. It would be very useful if Microsoft always displayed a (+) button at the bottom-right corner. This will be a good indication to the end user that this button can be used to add new rows to this table.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Re: template "Check register (Simple design)" ─ Enable toggle on C (Cleared) column in order to reconcile last "C" Balance with bank

By being able to toggle the C column, the running Balance of the last cleared item should reconcile with the current bank balance (unless there's another way to reconcile in this template that I'm not aware of).

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add option to filter drop down list

i wants to add an option to filter drop down list which gives output as in inverse select in filter

example: in a column i have values as 1,2,3 & 4. In a filter firstly i selected with 1 & 3 then with the help of above idea which output is select 2 & 4 in filter.

69 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Show "Blanks" and "N/A#" at the top and bottom of Filter lists or 'stick pin' them

It's a pain navigating to the bottom of a list to deselect N/A or Blanks and sometimes you forget to do it so it would be really helpful if they were shown at both the top and bottom of a filter list - or, better still, 'stick pin' them in the top of the dialogue box so they can be de/selected at any time

3 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• The help for "Use segmentations to filter data" it´s very confusing, it´s not clear, i don´t undestand what is the idea for that help,

The help for "Use segmentations to filter data" it´s very confusing, it´s not clear, I don´t understand what the idea for that help is? Why I need to open several links to try to understand the segmentation of data, when I open the principal link of segmentation I surprise the help don’t explain nothing, it´s very short. For me the main idea of this help is the user understand what mean “segmentation of data” and how it help me in mi Excel job.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base