Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. shortcut to remove all filters

easy shortcut to remove all the filters on tables in a worksheet.

I work in finance and always filtering and unfiltering multiple columns, it would be fantastic and save so much time to have this shortcut.

thank you
    Samantha Casey

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow columns of text and numeric text.

Manufacturers item codes may be numeric only or mixed alphanumeric, possibly with symbols. When a column is formatted as text, I do not want the numeric text sorted as numbers.

1041T
    I cannot control the manufacturer's codes. I just want my data to be displayed sensibly. Adding \ or " interferes with the sort order.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide drop down list of columns where filters are applied with column's alphabetical label in brackets.

This ties in with recommendations of others where they recommend changing the color of the filter button to easily identify filtered columns. Also consider providing drop down option or pop up option to list column names (with alphabetical label of column, such as (A), (B), etc). This will help to easily identify columns where filters are applied. You don't necessarily want to go to each column, but rather want to catch up with the logic / thought process you were busy with. Maybe some short abbreviated info about the values filtered as well.

49 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When moving columns in table keep original column widths across the entire table

When I move a table column, the widths of columns to the right do not keep their original column width... or column grouping. I would like column widths and grouping keep values as they were before moving column

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please allow for "My Data Has Headers" to be set as a preference for all workbooks.

Please allow for "My Data Has Headers" to be set as a preference for all workbooks. Currently this option defaults to being unchecked. 99% of the time, my data has headers and I'd rather not have to go through the steps of checking this box for every workbook I open. Others may prefer this default, so my suggestion is to let it be a preference option.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. move empty criteria in filters from the bottom to the top

move empty criteria in filters from the bottom to the top. some of the special criterias like show all are on the top of the filter list. could you please move the criteria "empty" as well to the top of the list? thank you

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. floating slicers

I have a spreadsheet which spans around 100 columns and 500 rows.

I have a slicer to quickly filter the information I need to see, but, if I scroll away from where the slicer is placed, it becomes lost as it is anchored to the spreadsheet rather than floating above it.

Please could you add an option to either anchor or float the slicers (i.e. don't only have one option, please give us the functionality to choose if we want our slicers anchored or to float).

If the slicer floats, then I could scroll anywhere on the sheet and would…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Clear All Filters for a table

These days most worksheets have a lot of columns and are used collaboratively. As a result various users can put filters on columns of their choice, and when I see the worksheet I need to go clear all the filters to be able to see the full data. Instead of having to go to each column to clear its filter, I would rather have a single button or context/menu option to clear all filters.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Filter in-place

Hello,

Background

1. Create 2 tables one after another with any data or leave data in a regular range.
      Let's say in A1:A3

|Column1|
    |-------|
    |1|
    |2|
    |3|

And in C1:C3

|Column1|
    |-------|
    |A|
    |B|
    |C|

1. Filter table in A1:A3 by number 3. Shortcut is CTRL+SHIFT+L.

Problem

An entire sheet is filted. In this particular case table in range C1:C3 is indirectly got filtered as well and now show value C.

Proposal

Replace current fildering mechanism (CTRL+****+L and "Advanced filder") with in-place filtering the same way FILTER() function is working.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add a total column to tables

Currently, there is a total row that sums all of the numbers in the same column. It would be nice to have this same thing but transposed, where excel automatically adds a total column that adds everything in that respective row. I am making a manual inventory right now, and every time there is a new order I have to update the SUM function to include the new quantities.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a "select all" to the Subtotal.

Add a "select all" check box to the Subtotal feature. It's helpful to have the "remove all" but I'd greatly appreciate a "select all"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Clear filter from other unfiltered column also

There must be option to clear filter from other unfiltered column also

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add color to column header when column is filtering

I often work in excel files with >100 columns. Finding the column(s) that are filtered is a tedious exercise that is quite inefficient. I'd like to see the column header cell turn a very bright color (flashing would be cool too!) for any column with a filter.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Filter dialogue

Implement a dialogue to set filters over all columns. In tables with many columns it is always time consuming scrolling and looking for which filters are currently set, respectively where the column is that needs to be filtered now. A dialog listing all columns and showing their current filters all on one screen would be very helpful. "Smartsheet" has such a feature.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Improve Structure References in Tables

The 'This Row' structured reference syntax of [@] is very useful, but it would be infinitely more useful if you could specify the row number within the table rather than the row number of the worksheet!

i.e. the first row of the table data body rather than the worksheet row number for wherever the table happens to be positioned.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Warning popup or Highlight for column with space in data for few cells

Just like outlook pops up with warning for attachment before sending, we can have a warning pop-up or a simple highlight to columns which have data with spaces where other data in maximum cells in same column is without spaces. This would reduce multiple steps to validate rework trim. In one click we should auto correct and get rid of all such common errors in working

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Quick Filter (for a list of values)

Create a filter feature where you can paste a list of values into a field and then the filter you are using will filter to all of those values.

Sometimes I receive lists of projects or people who I need to look into for reasons that don't fit into categories captured by other columns (such as, every completed project or everyone on a certain team). Trying to filter to 20+ projects out of a list of thousands by typing in each project ID and clicking "Add Selection to Current Filter" is a pain. When I receive an email from my…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Autofilter dropdown should have special values at the top

In the autofilter selection dropdowns, the special values like #ERROR or #N/A or blanks should be at the top of the list, not the bottom.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make large tables of data easier to read

Create a feature that, after you select a table, it creates a very light contrast color on every 2nd or 3rd line, to make it easier to read. The feature should automatically highlight every 2nd or 3rd row, regardless of sorting, filtering, or otherwise rearranging the internals of the table. So, every time you make a change to the table, you do not have to highlight and fill in every 2nd or 3rd row, since the feature would do this automatically.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Set focus of table filter dropdown to "Search"

I wish the cursor would automatically go to the Search field (e.g. Search "gets focus") of the sort/filter dropdowns at the top of tables. As it stands now, I either have to use the most to click into the Search box, or I need to tab about 5 times to get there. This is an unnecessary drag on productivity. This behavior is despite the fact that Search is the only text field in the dropdown. Thanks for considering!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base