Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide drop down list of columns where filters are applied with column's alphabetical label in brackets.

This ties in with recommendations of others where they recommend changing the color of the filter button to easily identify filtered columns. Also consider providing drop down option or pop up option to list column names (with alphabetical label of column, such as (A), (B), etc). This will help to easily identify columns where filters are applied. You don't necessarily want to go to each column, but rather want to catch up with the logic / thought process you were busy with. Maybe some short abbreviated info about the values filtered as well.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. iPad create pivot table

Please add full support for pivot table creation for IPad OS. This is a basic requirement for financial professionals such as myself. This alone would help me use the iPad as my primary work device.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Multiple cells selection problem

We select multiple cells by holding control key. But when we accidentally select a cell without holding control key, all selected cells are gone and we have to do the selection again. This is very irritating. Please add option for the same.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bring Sheet View to the desktop app for files saved online

Most people in my org who filter an Excel spreadsheet saved to SharePoint or OneDrive don't use Excel Online as it is not as feature rich as the desktop app. Sheet View avoids the problem Auto Save presents when filtering for other users collaborating at the time or opening it fresh with those filters auto saved. However, Sheet View is only available on the Online version of Excel currently https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel-blog/sheet-view-is-generally-available/ba-p/1032576.
    Can you please also bring this feature to the desktop app?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Sorting rules deleted when data is deleted... NOT GOOD!

Not much of an idea but more of a feedback. The sorting rules are being deleted after data is deleted is not an improvement. I would prefer being able to manipulate my data without the worry of my rules being affected. Especially upon removal of all data to input a new set.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add option for "natural sorting"

Add option for "natural sorting" as present in LibreOffice.
    Should sort cells with content D15, D100, D101, D1000 in this order and not as D100, D1000, D101, D15 (text sorting).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Numerical Values in the Header Row of Tables

Allow numbers in the header row of tables.

Right now, header rows appear to be forced to be text types.

Allowing headers to be values would allow the use of the XLOOKUP function on the header row using the "exact or next less" and "exact or greater" flags. This would greatly simplify step-wise lookups and interpolations where the data was arranged in a horizontal fashion.

Right now, data tables need to be arranged vertically in order to use these flags on the "header" information if the header information is a number.

It can be done, but in circumstances where data…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Horizontal filtering

ONE VERY USEFUL feature is still lacking: "HORIZONTAL FILTERING" - i.e. ability to filter, hide, sort, ONLY COLUMS which fulfil certain criteria.
    Grouping works both for columns and rows...
    Hiding works both for columns and rows...
    Filtering works only for columns - maybe it is time to go from 1D to 2D?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Does anyone know of another program that does simple sorting?

Does anyone know of another program that does even simple sorting. Excel is a bust for me without this. Does Word do it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Filter typing jump to "Search"

When opening a filter and one starts typing, the cursor should automatically jump into the "Search" box.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Malfunction in Tables and Sorting Fix with Insert Row and Copy-Paste

I think there is a malfunction in Tables sorting, though looking through excess data, I cannot determine if it is true or not.

Namely, Because the Tables have some fixture assigned to them, the normal Cut and Paste seems to have an ordering problem.

For instance, if I read into a Table on Page 1, which is a compilation of several Tables from Page 2, 3, 4, and so on to 'n' tables...
    … if I insert a line into Table 'N', and input data, , and then go to the Page 1 Table and insert a line, then paste…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add a Data Validation Manager GUI

Determining which ranges/cells have data validation rules applied and which disconnected ranges (i.e. sets of ranges that aren't adjacent on a sheet) are managed by the same rule is currently very lacking.

My request is the addition of a 'Data Validation Manager' analogous to the Name Manager or Conditional Formatting Manager.

Like the Name Manager, this would show you a table of all existing sets of data validation in the workbook, what ranges the validation rules apply to, and a summary of the condition. From here you should be able to drill into specific data validation rules to modify them.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Dynamic Array Spill Range in official Excel Table

It would be great if we can insert dynamic array formulas in official excel table, currently its not supported.
    Wonder what in the world can happen if we can use Dynamic Array functions like FILTER/UNIQUE in an auto expanding and auto collapsing excel tables. This will AUTOMATE lots of work in a single feature.
    Please consider the request.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Please allow the ability to copy an embedded link from a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet as it only allows you to copy the display text without

Please allow the ability to copy an embedded link from a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet as it only allows you to copy the display text without the link.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Modify Slicer Color Preview Order Fails to Match Element Order

When customizing Slicer colors, the Slicer Element list is not in the same order as the color preview image. It makes relating the option to the preview confusing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. find all

there is no way to find a keyword in the data I have and it is imperative that I use the find all button. I have to sift thru 30,000 to 50,000 rows when I import my spread sheets so it gets to be time consuming when I need to consolidate my information.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Insert a Cell

I'm not able to insert a new cell or row, when I already copied a cell. The only choice is to insert the copied cells. I hope there is a choice where I can insert new cell, without have to paste the cell I've copied before to another place first.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Choose Columns From A Table In Excel

In Power Query, Query Editor, There is the ability to select columns from the data you imported. When you use this, only the columns picked are displayed. Could this ability be added to the Design Tab for a table? The way I see this being used would be for editing data in a large table with several columns. You could click on a "Choose Columns" button, pick the fields(columns) you want with all the rest being hidden. Do what you need to do, then click the "Choose Columns" button again to unhide those columns that were hidden, like the "Show…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Put "Blanks" at the top of the drop-down filter list

Currently "Blanks" appears at the bottom of the drop-down list. It would be helpful if it appeared at the top of that list. That way if you were searching for an entry, with the intent of keying it if it was missing, you wouldn't have to go to the bottom of a potentially long list to get to "Blanks".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Tables should default to "My table has headers" being ticked

It's taken me 10 years to realise this but I've never "unchecked" My Table has headers, it's ALWAYS the other way round, forgetting to remember to tick it because Excel hasn't recognised the header row.

Let's default the tick to always on ?

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base