Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide drop down list of columns where filters are applied with column's alphabetical label in brackets.

This ties in with recommendations of others where they recommend changing the color of the filter button to easily identify filtered columns. Also consider providing drop down option or pop up option to list column names (with alphabetical label of column, such as (A), (B), etc). This will help to easily identify columns where filters are applied. You don't necessarily want to go to each column, but rather want to catch up with the logic / thought process you were busy with. Maybe some short abbreviated info about the values filtered as well.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Auto Protect/Lock Dynamic Table After New Entry

Microsoft Excel my goal is to make the whole sheet uneditable and editable both at the same time.

For instance, I'm using Table1 and with every new entry, one row adds up in the table, but the whole table is prone to risk of being mistakenly or deliberately removed/edited. I want to make a new entry (which will add a new row, aa usual) but the whole should remain protected/locked (unchangeable). Have i conveyed my point?

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tables should default to "My table has headers" being ticked

It's taken me 10 years to realise this but I've never "unchecked" My Table has headers, it's ALWAYS the other way round, forgetting to remember to tick it because Excel hasn't recognised the header row.

Let's default the tick to always on ?

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please upgrade drop down list like excel web version

Upgrade drop down list like excel web version. Excel web version drop down list is so much modern and useful.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix Hyperlinks in Column 1 of Tables

Hyperlinks with fewer than 4 display characters, that are contained in column 1 table cells do not work. The little palm that is expected to show up when hovering the mouse cursor does not appear.
    To see issue, create an empty table, then add the following formula to the first row in the first column:
    =Hyperlink("https:\www.google.com","G")

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow Dynamic Array Spill Range in official Excel Table

It would be great if we can insert dynamic array formulas in official excel table, currently its not supported.
    Wonder what in the world can happen if we can use Dynamic Array functions like FILTER/UNIQUE in an auto expanding and auto collapsing excel tables. This will AUTOMATE lots of work in a single feature.
    Please consider the request.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Sort Option to sort 'blank/no value' cells first or last

Please add a sort option where the user can specify if they want blank cells sorted at the beginning or the end.

When sorting it doesn't matter if ascending or descending is selected, currently blank cells always sort at the bottom of the table. I'd like to see the ability for the user to select if they want blank cells in a table sorted at first. Attached is a perfect place to put it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Table Names: Scope to Worksheet not Workbook

Allow table names to be scoped to the worksheet rather than have them scoped to the Workbook.

Your current 'workbook' scope implementation means that for similar worksheets I have to come up different table names to prevent them from clashing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Automatically apply Wrap Text to the headers when a table is created and AutoFit accordingly

Because the names of columns are often wider than their values, it is common to apply the Wrap Text format to the column headers. After this, the user will shrink the column widths to take advantage of the Wrap Text format. When you have multiple tables in a spreadsheet, this can take a few minutes. To save us this time and effort, please automatically apply the Wrap Text format to the column headers when a table is created.

The automatic AutoFitting of the column widths that occurs after a table is created should also be changed to better suit the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Trailing Date Filters

Add trailing ("Past") date filters. These are different from the "Last" filters.

On 6/15/2019, the "Last Year" is 1/1/2018 - 12/31/2018. The "Past Year" is 6/15/2018 - 6/15/2019. "Last Month" is 5/1/2019 - 5/31/2019. "Past Month" is 5/15/2019 - 6/15/2019.

This can apply all the common ranges: Past X days / weeks / months / years.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Insert a Cell

I'm not able to insert a new cell or row, when I already copied a cell. The only choice is to insert the copied cells. I hope there is a choice where I can insert new cell, without have to paste the cell I've copied before to another place first.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. When copying formulas between tables have option to keep formula intact (and not refer to old table)

Currently when you copy columns with formulas from one table to another the formulas are adjusted to still refer to the old table columns, even if the new table has all the same column names.

I would like the option (possibly in Paste Special) to just copy the formulas as is so that they refer to the new table (and not have to change them afterwards with a search and replace as we do now).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make it *easy* to show *all* rows after someone else's annoying filter, ie clear filters easily

Make it easy to show all rows after someone else's annoying filter, ie clear filters easily

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. CIDR Sorting

To have the ability to sort a column by CIDR (Classless Inter-Domain Routing), so it is easier to sort a column containing IP addresses or IP addresse masks.

Database like PostgreSQL provide such feature and it is missing in Excel without having to code

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Is it possible to use " Filter horizontally " it will help to collapse or expand data in horizontal & vertical direction

Is it possible to use " Filter horizontally " it will help to collapse or expand data in horizontal & vertical direction

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When filtering. i.s.o clicking on each item to be filtered, rather click and slide over the items to select or deselect

When filtering a list containing a large number of selection items, in stead of clicking on the items one by one (to select or deselect), rather hold click and slide over the items to select or deselect. Will save me hours of time in a year. I may just buy you a Pepsi if you get it right :-)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. HEY ASSFACES AT MICROSOFT- GET YOUR ******* USELESS CHART ELEMENTS POPUP OUT OF MY FACE. FUCK_YOU.

HEY ASSFACES AT MICROSOFT- GET YOUR ******* USELESS CHART ELEMENTS POPUP OUT OF MY FACE. FUCK_YOU.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Provide Search Box, Filter as you type.

Provide search box for official Excel Table. It is there in Header filtering but it would be nice if there will be option for a separate search box. Search box should act like this :
    As soon as we start typing characters in search box, it starts filtering matching values in that table column and display only those row(s) which contains typed characters. This feature would make it easy to search entries in large data set.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow creation of excel slicers in dropdown format similar to powerbi.

PowerBi has slicers that can be presented in a drop-down format as well. A similar feature in Excel would be wonderful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Visualize and easily resize the AutoFilter range

When you turn on the AutoFilter (accessible through Home tab → Sort & Filter → Filter or Data tab → Filter), you know that the top of AutoFilter range is the row with the filter buttons, and the AutoFilter range spans only the columns that have filter buttons. However, you cannot tell where the bottom of the AutoFilter range is just by looking.

This issue arises when people simply select a cell in their data rather than select all of their data, and then turn the AutoFilter on, but their data contains a blank row. Then the user gets confused as to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base