Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tables should default to "My table has headers" being ticked

It's taken me 10 years to realise this but I've never "unchecked" My Table has headers, it's ALWAYS the other way round, forgetting to remember to tick it because Excel hasn't recognised the header row.

Let's default the tick to always on ?

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable to sort separate range columns in latest desktop version of Excel

Trying to sort out multiple columns in Excel but received an error!! This is possible on earlier versions of Excel desktop. Need to sort multiple columns at once.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Setting proper width when inserting Table Column

When inserting Table Columns adjust the columns to match the width where the data came from. Make it work like it does when inserting column on spreadsheet.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. other languges then english

I use hebrew as a second language. and when i try to auto fill, excel doesn't understand to auto fill hebrew alphabet, months, days of week etc. i guess that the same problem applies to users of other second languages.
    it would be a great idea for excel to improve that. especially for right to left languages where its very important
    thanks
    i hope you will improve it the fastest possible

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Avoid Window Shake when filtering

When using a table and a filter is added, the screen doesn't move. When it ranges, and a filter is added, the screen moves. Please avoid this movement please!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. When using a filter, a double click inverts the selection (deselects all except the one clicked on)

When using a filer and wanting to select a single value you need to first in-tick "(Select All)", then you select the item you want.

An improvement would be that with all values still ticked that a double click on the item you want de-selects all the other entries apart from that one.

Really simply, but how many times have you scrolled down the list looking for the item you want, then realized you need to scroll back up to untick "Select All" first and then scroll back down again.

Come on Microsoft, this sort of stuff is basics! :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Filter Option - for 6 Months

In Filter, there are options for Last Week, Month, Quarter & Year. There could be following 2 options that can help user a lot:
    1) Last 6 Months
    2) First 6 Months (Current Year)

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Return to original row in table after applying and clearing filter

After applying a filter to a table and reviewing/editing the filtered data, clearing the filter should take you back to your starting row.

At the moment it usually takes you back to the top of the table, though sometimes it seems to pick a random row. I'm normally working at the bottom of the table.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Targeting a first sum of similar sums.

The dial on the excel spreadsheet a bit antiquated. I scroll sums of about 60k or more. The upper and lower dial could be increased speed (center being a moderate slower speed) makes problem resolution faster.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Please add "Show selected items" button in filter. It will help in finding selected items in a large list of items.

Please add "Show selected items" button in filter. It will help in finding selected items in a large list of items.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. filter view: place filter text box above a filtered list to easily show what a spreadsheet is filtered to

I have a spreadsheet which I'm filtering (i know I could use a pivot table but in this case that's not what I want).

Every time I want to add a filter item I click the filter down arrow, which opens a text box and a series of values with checkboxes to add or remove these.

When we make a list filtered, could you please add a box, perhaps above the filter line, that shows what that column is filtering to? Perhaps this box could also be used instead of having to click the down arrow to open the filter…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ability to paste to filtered (visible) cells

PROBLEM: Excel's PASTE (ctrl-V) operation does not distinguish between filtered and unfiltered cells, even though its COPY (ctrl-C) operation copies filtered (visible) cells.

SOLUTIONS:
    * Enhance PASTE SPECIAL (ctrl-alt-V) to support the ability to paste into only filtered (visible) cells.
    * Add a user option to support this default PASTE action.

BENEFITS:
    * Eliminates the danger of pasting into a filtered area without realizing the problem. This is a very common problem with users new to Excel. Even experienced users must be constantly aware of this problem.
    * Addresses a problem for which there is no good workaround. All VBA…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. List counted cells

I have been searching the web for a way to list the cells that has been counted with countIf so that i can then print the data from those cells to make it easier to keep track of which numbers are remaining (a list to cross out details that have been made) Does it make any sense? Also sometimes you have counted cells and just want to see which cells are counted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I would like the Filter data in a table or range feature list to be customizable to display a specific number of entries

I would like the Filter data in a table or range feature list to be customizable to display a specific number of entries rather than or in addition to defaulting back each time it is used to a fixed length. It is annoying having to expand or scroll down the list each time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. table heading item count

When clicking on a table heading, for example to select items in that column, it would be great to see a count beside each listed item. I realise that this could carry a performance hit, so perhaps it could be selected as an Advanced Option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Save and Re-Apply Filters on Tables

It would be really great to be able apply simple or complex filters on one or more columns in a table, to save as a named filter, and to re-apply it later on the table.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. My suggestion is to have additional TOGGLE command or feature in MS EXCEL while putting filter.

Greetings!!

My suggestion is to have additional TOGGLE command or feature in MS EXCEL while putting filter. One can put filter to available fields for example A, B, C, D and E. When I put filter to A and B, and then I want to put TOGGLE filter like C, D and E, it's time consuming. This new TOGGLE feature or command will be really helpful when there will be large number of data. Example showing short data with five numbers only. Thank You!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. lock cloumns together

cells A1:A5 are merged, cells B1:B5 are sub categories of info in the merged cell. This is repeated for A6:A10, A11:A15, etc. I want to sort column B so that column A stays put, but the sub category info sorts while staying connected to the merged cells. For instance, A1:A5 have the letter "A" in the merged cell. B1:B5 have A,B,C,D,E dispersed through them, then A6:a10 has a "B" with B5:B10 havign a letter in each of those cells, and so on. I want to sort column B in alphabetical order while clomn A stays in it's current order, or…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base