Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Auto Protect/Lock Dynamic Table After New Entry

Microsoft Excel my goal is to make the whole sheet uneditable and editable both at the same time.

For instance, I'm using Table1 and with every new entry, one row adds up in the table, but the whole table is prone to risk of being mistakenly or deliberately removed/edited. I want to make a new entry (which will add a new row, aa usual) but the whole should remain protected/locked (unchangeable). Have i conveyed my point?

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Tables should default to "My table has headers" being ticked

It's taken me 10 years to realise this but I've never "unchecked" My Table has headers, it's ALWAYS the other way round, forgetting to remember to tick it because Excel hasn't recognised the header row.

Let's default the tick to always on ?

124 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable to sort separate range columns in latest desktop version of Excel

Trying to sort out multiple columns in Excel but received an error!! This is possible on earlier versions of Excel desktop. Need to sort multiple columns at once.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fire sheet change event when last row of Excel table is deleted (ListObject VBA)

Currently when there's only one row left in an Excel Table (ListObject) and you delete the whole row, the Worksheet_Change event is not fired.

Request: Please make it raise the event.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Table Names: Scope to Worksheet not Workbook

Allow table names to be scoped to the worksheet rather than have them scoped to the Workbook.

Your current 'workbook' scope implementation means that for similar worksheets I have to come up different table names to prevent them from clashing

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Need to Merge Two Cells

Need to merge 2 Cells

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. The "select all" checkbox should never scroll out of sight in a filter dropdown

When I want to select one entry in a drop down filter, it happens to me frequently that I scroll down to find the entry and then discover that should have deselected "select all" first. Very annoying. That box should be independent of the rest and never scroll out of sight.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Create a "Table" sheet type

Can we have a "Table" sheet type, similar to a chart sheet? It can only contain a single table with no cells outside the table, but could grow/shrink as required, and should have improved navigation / deletion / insertion capabilities

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Provide drop down list of columns where filters are applied with column's alphabetical label in brackets.

This ties in with recommendations of others where they recommend changing the color of the filter button to easily identify filtered columns. Also consider providing drop down option or pop up option to list column names (with alphabetical label of column, such as (A), (B), etc). This will help to easily identify columns where filters are applied. You don't necessarily want to go to each column, but rather want to catch up with the logic / thought process you were busy with. Maybe some short abbreviated info about the values filtered as well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. WHY THERE IS NOT ABSOLUTE MAX AND MIN IN FILTER REFERENCE TO THE UNIQUE DATA

WHEN YOU USE FILTER THE CURRENT FILTER TOOLS IS LESS THAN,GREATER THAN AND BETWEEN THERE SHOULD BE MAX AND MIN TO FILTER THE ABSOLUTE MAX DATA REFERENCE TO UNIQUE NAMES FOR EXAMPLE

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow insert copied cells for whole rows in tables

Allow user to use the "Insert copied cells" in a table when they have selected an entire row. This is needed to quickly replicate rows in a table. The limitation seems inconsistent with the following:
    * Users can already "Insert cut cells", just not copied cells.
    * Users can insert a blank row, then copy another row over the blank row, which is functionally equivalent but two steps.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add F4 toggle to "lock" structured refrences

Structured references are awesome. But making them relative/absolute is not! Let us use the F4 shortcut on structured references too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Advanced Filter option to Exclude a list of items

Advanced Filter Option to Exclude a list of items
    You have a list of 10,000 members. You want to filter the list so that if any of the 900 in this criteria list are present, it will EXCLUDE them from the filtered list.
    Comes up all the time, we handle it with conditional formatting and color sort or with VLOOKUPs and subsequent sort.
    Seems like it should just be there when you go to filter.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. insert traffic light colour function for "if " scenarios in the table section

Insert traffic light colour function as an "IF" scenario in the table section. so for example if a number drops below certain precentage its red category, another precentage its amber, then green.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Sorting default settings

When the Sort ....(choicest) selected "Sort Warning" box pop-up with a preselected choice. Remove that "preselected" default setting and enable it to remember users choice when Excel is open and used next time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Filter by multiple colours (at the same time) - select option to select specific colours

I often use different colours in my spreadsheets. However it is a pain that you can only filter by one colour at a time ...can there be a check box by the colours when filtering by colour ...so you can select specific one or more colours, or multiple colours at the same time ...this would be awesome and a massive improvement to Filtering …..can this be so difficult for the Microsoft excel team to implement ? must be an easy fix going forward …...please vote for this if this will help you out !!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add functionality to sort by second, third, etc. word

Add ability to sort by other than the first charcters in a cell.

For example, a list of first and last names could be sorted by last name by sorting on the second word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. When spilling information carry the formats of the numbers in the spill range

When spilling information from one sheet to another, the formats of the cells do not carry over.

I'm on a live updating spending tracker with stat spill tables that auto fill. I also have a huge Grand Totals sheet where I can over look all ov my months. When spilling the information from one sheet to another, only the values show on the second sheet. Meaning currency, percentage, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base