Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Filter Option - for 6 Months

In Filter, there are options for Last Week, Month, Quarter & Year. There could be following 2 options that can help user a lot:
    1) Last 6 Months
    2) First 6 Months (Current Year)

13 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Ability to paste to filtered (visible) cells

PROBLEM: Excel's PASTE (ctrl-V) operation does not distinguish between filtered and unfiltered cells, even though its COPY (ctrl-C) operation copies filtered (visible) cells.

SOLUTIONS:
      * Enhance PASTE SPECIAL (ctrl-alt-V) to support the ability to paste into only filtered (visible) cells.
      * Add a user option to support this default PASTE action.

BENEFITS:
      * Eliminates the danger of pasting into a filtered area without realizing the problem. This is a very common problem with users new to Excel. Even experienced users must be constantly aware of this problem.
      * Addresses a problem for which there is no good workaround. All VBA…

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Resize Table by double-click

Something, you have to resize the area of your table when you manually import or delete data in a Table.

Currently, you have 2 options to resize your Table:
        - With the button Resize Table
        - By drag and drop of the delimiter of the Table (it looks like a triangle) to adjust to the size of the data

My idea is to double-click on this Table delimiter to adjust automatically to the area of the data (rows and columns). This means that the table would automatically extend or contract to include new data or exclude empty rows/columns.

What do…

12 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • 3 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Table names to show up in alphabetic order in Name Box

The Name Box is really useful for navigating around spreadsheets but Table Names show up at the bottom of the list (if there are Range Names) and also appear in the order they are created rather than in alphabetic order. Not that helpful. Please include Table Names in the list in alphabetic order.

8 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Swap option on filter

Filtering spreadsheet tables is a great option for quickly getting to the data you want to see, but how often have you scrolled down a long list to find the option you want only to realise you didn't deselect 'all' right up at the top?

How often do you select a group of options to look at the rows for it and then want to change to see everything except that group?

With a SWAP option on the filter box, possibly right mouse button activated, you could turn all the current ticks to blank, and all the current blanks to…

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve visual reference of engaged filters

When using multiple filters to search data in a large Excel table it is very hard to distinguish what filter(s) are engaged, especially for novice users utilizing the data. By making the drop down box of the engaged filter(s) more obvious it will make it easier for the user to see what search fields are engaged and make it easier to locate them to clear the search. For example, if the color of the small drop down box automatically changed to a vibrant color in the header, users could see at a glance what specific column has a filter engaged.…

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Hello there! Wouldn't it be good if an option to filter a row not just an option to filter a column be included in your excel application?

Hello there! Wouldn't it be good if an option to filter a row not just an option to filter a column be included in your excel application?

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Proper Un-sort of Data in Tables

So I have a table of data, and sort the data. I save it and return to the document later. I need to return the data to it's previous order. I am unable to do the "undo" option, is there any way to get it back?

There has been multiple times I've run into this issue, such as having data, sorting, editing a few lines, and then needing to un-sort it back to the original order. Is there no way to do it?

Under the Data tab, in the Sort & Filter group, there is an option to clear you…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Find and Replace within workbook "save my settings" checkbox

Every time I restart Excel, I have to move away from "Within:" Sheet to "Within:" Workbook
                      How about adding this check box for “keep my settings”…?
                      Or perhaps default is either the other way around, where it looks through the whole document…and/or it just stays where I last set it like a toggle switch.
                      Please consider improving this…

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Filter non-contiguous columns

After selecting a few non-contiguous columns (using ctrl-click) I want to be able to specifically apply a filter to these non-contiguous columns - i.e columns which are not directly side by side

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Save a custom sort

I think it would be beneficial if there was an option to save a custom sort

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• It will be great if we have compare option to compare data between 2 sheets to analyse missing or changed cell value

It will be great if we have compare option to compare data between 2 sheets to analyse missing or changed cell value

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Increase Filter drop down menu items space, combine upper options.

Initially filter items were easy to select & scroll, but now other options are added at top like sorting, clear, filter by color etc. etc. So there is less space for item selection. Secondly if I increase Filter menu space, it's not saved (last change), every time I've to make a change in size. So I suggest collect the upper options in some other way like menu, give more space to items, remember last changed size.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Slider: allow multi-select option to be disabled in a slider (as in Power BI)

I would like to see an option in the slider settings to disable the multi-select option in any individual slider on a page. I believe this is already possible in Power BI.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow the user to select multiple sheets in a workbook and merge them into one sheet in the same workbook.

Allow the user to select multiple sheets in a workbook and merge them into one sheet in the same workbook. This is extremely useful where a data collection has been done with feedback from multiple members, and a merge of information is now required. Pivot tabling does not help as it remains with the requirement that all the data is already in one sheet

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add currency data type to the new Data Types

Add Currencies to the new Data Types along with Stocks and Geography so we can get current exchange rates, symbols, etc. for various currencies.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow 'cloning'/re-use of filter column headers as DV lists (just like you can copy slicers)

Use case: I have a data set on Sheet1 (not a table). I have multiple graphs on Sheet2 (created to be a "pretty" dashboard).

I can go to Sheet1 and apply filters, and the graphs update accordingly - awesome, but inconvenient to switch between pages. The end user doesn't want to see the raw data sheet and figure out which columns are which when exploring via the dashboard.

Alternatively, I can create my own DV lists for each column, and create a whole new dynamic summary page , and tie the graphs to that. Harder to set up (especially with…

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Filter by Custom List

Like Custom Sort, let's create Filter by based on Custom List.
                                          Besides doing this using advanced filter, it's good idea to allow filter only records as per the created custom list..

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base